Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 enabler

comeraghs wrote: »
    Metalman Pale Ale is as good a beer as is out there. Great stuff.

Some of their seasonal beers are wonderful too.

Geoffs & The Munster stock them & I think Phil Grimes & The Front Lounge too.
    Hopefully before long everywhere will.

Looking forward to their being good craft ciders available on tap here at some stage.

include The Reg in that list now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

enabler wrote: »
    include The Reg in that list now

Not forgetting Flash who usually has 3 of their beers on tap.

The Cove/Boat club also have the Pale Ale, would love to see the hotels get invloved as something to offer when a guest asks for a local brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

CitySquare SC is getting a bit of development done which will hopefully allow H&M to locate there.

The Brasserie is on the move & I really hope it is to the Old Stand site.

Dignity is re-opening somewhere else in the city. Not sure when.

There is a Waterford team playing in Croke Park & it's still only Februray.

& The Waterford Treasures museum has won 2 awards last week a the museum of the year awards.

& I think Waterford 1100 has something big planned for June.

http://waterford1100.com/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Off-topic negative posts deleted!

Lads if you only want to moan and complain about Waterford then please don't post in this thread,

• Advertisement

Waterford Writers Weekend 2014
    Waterford Writers’ Weekend will take place from March 20th to 24th 2014

The festival promotes the craft of writing and celebrates creativity in all ages. Running over the weekend of March 20th to 24th, this lively and engaging festival is filled with workshops, discussions, and debates designed to engage and delight audiences. Creativity in youth is of special significance to the festival, and events for students, children and families serve to inspire the imagination.
    Poetry, crime writing, workshops, readings, Viking themed workshops and a feast of family events celebrating Waterford's 1100 years of history and culture are just some of what's in store!
    Visit www.waterfordwritersweekend.ie for further information

I came across this while looking at other stuff!

Nice & positive reading on our great sports stars :)

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/waterford-sports-fan-838558-Mar2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Well theres always a positive

theres a fairly dacent road out of it

Says someone from Athlone? LOL :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

We visited Waterford city and Tramore over the weekend and enjoyed our time in both places :) Much better than places like Sligo or Ballina which we did not like

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AbbotSinical

Good to see that festival. It's up to us to get out and support these smaller festivals. Maybe some of the events for the 1100 celebration will cotinue into the future. It's important to have a range festivals. I know other counties have events planned throughout the year instead of putting all effort and attention on the large type (eg. Spraoi, Tall Ships, Food Festival). Not everyone fancies the big crowds, traffic restrictions etc. I know we have well planned events but it is a gamble with weather. Winterval and TFM Flag commemoration prove how quickly new events can become established.

• Advertisement

Waterford's newest festival is on in a few weeks and hopefully will become an annual Viking themed weekend!

http://waterford1100.com/wikid-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Several places won awards for the first time, including Waterford’s Kilfrassey.
    In Waterford, two flags were won back in Councellors Strand and Dunmore Strand.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/76-irish-beaches-four-marinas-get-thumbs-up-with-blue-flags-30329108.html#sthash.69PNXEL5.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A group of people have volunteered their time to turn a piece of waste ground in New Street into a lovely garden area and will have various events there throughout the summer. Read more about it on their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/newstreetgardens?fref=ts

Contribute some badly needed funds by going to their Fundit page

http://fundit.ie/project/new-street-gardens-project

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Metalmans joint collaboration with a UK brewer available in some offies/pubs, Yerba, delicious! fair play to grainne and team in Metalman, highly respected beer and putting Waterford on the map (With dungarvan of course). Here's to hope that the pale ale will be available in offies soon for all us oldies who cant get out much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have to second this. It came onto the scene when I was leaving Waterford for Dublin and I'm delighted that they've managed to get a strong foothold in Dublin since then. Such a wonderful drink and I can't wait until they build up to the stage where they can start producing bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Max Powers wrote: »
    Metalmans joint collaboration with a UK brewer available in some offies/pubs, Yerba, delicious! fair play to grainne and team in Metalman, highly respected beer and putting Waterford on the map (With dungarvan of course). Here's to hope that the pale ale will be available in offies soon for all us oldies who cant get out much.

anyone know what offies i can get it in? Locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

anyone know what offies i can get it in? Locally?

World wide wines have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

World wide wines have it.

Ive never tasted metalman beer so went to world wide wines today and they only had that yerba stuff and only 1 bottle left so i bought and see how it goes :)

Also i was walking around the viking triangle for the first time yesterday and the place looked great with the sun shining, i couldn't get over how clean the streets are well done to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The bus and train stations still operate services to Dublin and Cork airports. Get out while ye can tbh

Why don't you follow your own advice and take your negative attitude with you? I know times are hard for a lot of people economically, but there is so much we have going for us compared to the lives people have in other places, or had in different times.

Imagine being sent off to WWI or having your baby taken off you in Tuam (or being one of those babies!). Imagine being in present-day South Sudan, Syria or North Korea.

We have a beautiful country, a city that (despite its problems) is peaceful and has loads going on. We have social protection measures and healthcare which mean that for the most part, people don't die needlessly, and certainly don't do so for lack of food. We don't have bombs going off or a big neighbour threatening to take chunks of our country. We have a clean environment.

We can all give out about our station in life. Some have no work and no money, others (like me) have too much work to do and feel we're not rewarded enough for it - certainly not like in the Celtic Tiger days. The money comes in and is gone, in bills and taxes.

However all my family are healthy and reasonably happy, so I count my blessings. It's not a perfect country or a perfect life, but all things considered it's a pretty good one!

Rant over... up Waterford! :D

Read in Munster express that some clothes shop going into old a-wear place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

Any mention of what shop it is? I had heard rumours a good while back that New Look were going in. It will be a big improvement to see that shop in business again as it is in such a prominent position. Great to hear that Kelly's on the Quay and Besco are reopening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

World wines doing 2 for the price 1, grand for dole Thursdays

WATERFORD’S most famous department store, Kellys on the Quay, will open for business again in August of this year. The legendary premises, which closed last year after 166 years in business, will be re-opened by David O’Dwyer of O’Dwyers Footwear and Michael Devane of Pavoni Ladies wear, who already have successful premises in Cork, Kilkenny, Newbridge, Middleton, Dungarvan, Clonmel and Youghal.
    Speaking about the new store, which is expected to employ between six and eight people, Michael Devane says they can’t wait to get opened in Waterford, “We have already been greeted with such positivity about the store and everyone, especially Waterford City Council, have been extremely accommodating to us.”
    The store will continue to be called Kellys and will have a mix of lady’s clothing and footwear on the ground and first floors. “We wanted to keep the Kellys name because it is so iconic,” Michael said. “Our intentions are to give the shop a more contemporary look and upgrade it somewhat to give it a fresh new look. We did however feel that it was important to keep the name and carry on the strong Kelly’s tradition. We already have all of our stock ready to go and we are looking at a provisional opening date of August 14.”
    Peacocks
    This news comes after Peacocks Fashion announced that they will be opening their new store in the former A-Wear premises in Michael Street on July 10. The UK ladies fashion giants have over 400 stores in the UK and 200 more across Europe. They currently employ over 6,000 people.

c Waterford N&S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing positive in the above link as far as I'm concerned! (its Bosch and Lomb)

Listening to newstalk today at 18:30 and there was a chap on there talking about the Lismore Immrama writers festival. He was positively gushing about Lismore saying things like, i cant believe people dont flock here, this is where we should be bringing American tourists, talked about amazing walks in area, amazing history in area, amazing castle and a very good writers festival too.
    Added to that the presenter was equally as positive saying he was down there and made similar comments about how amazing the place is.

On our door step folks! (well not quiet door step but you know what i mean)

Max Powers wrote: »
    Listening to newstalk today at 18:30 and there was a chap on there talking about the Lismore Immrama writers festival. He was positively gushing about Lismore saying things like, i cant believe people dont flock here, this is where we should be bringing American tourists, talked about amazing walks in area, amazing history in area, amazing castle and a very good writers festival too.
    Added to that the presenter was equally as positive saying he was down there and made similar comments about how amazing the place is.

On our door step folks! (well not quiet door step but you know what i mean)

There's no doubt that Waterford is one stunningly beautiful county, Ardmore, Lismore,The Copper Coast, The Nire Valley and Dunmore East are as beautiful as anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone know who purchased the old Halifax branch on the quay and if a new retail store is opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

It was sold but now it says 'to let'... KBC are supposed to be opening more branches around the country. Maybe they would go in there. .. pure speculation by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

bilibob wrote: »
    It was sold but now it says 'to let'... KBC are supposed to be opening more branches around the country. Maybe they would go in there. .. pure speculation by the way.
    Don't think they identified Waterford as a good area for expansion though... Moreso Galway and Cork.

Advertisement