Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair piece question

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Jacobian Transformation

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I dare say it would suit you better than the Trump-style hairpiece, though.

Give the clip a go. If, having lived with it, you really find it's as bad as you fear it will be, you can grow it out and investigate hairpieces. Clipping has the advantage that it costs much, much less than hairpieces, so you can experiment with it without doing to much permanent damage either to you wallet or to your reputation with the ladies. I'd see the hairpiece as the riskiest and most expensive strategy, and so it, rather than clipping, is the one you should see as the last option.

I bet he'd look better with this hairpiece than a shaved head.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fJgSiwDdcok&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfJgSiwDdcok&gl=GB

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

OP as a woman who wears a hair piece, I understand the concerns you might have about them blowing away, looking fake etc

To be honest, things have moved on a lot in terms of the design, fit, styling and texture of wigs. They're actually incredible. I know a few guys who have worn them, and looked great, and a few who looked terrible.

It's all about having the confidence to wear it well.

If you have any questions about suppliers, prices etc feel free to ask.

Whatever you decide, make sure it's whatever makes you feel happy and confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

tatumkelly wrote: »
    things have moved on a lot in terms of the design, fit, styling and texture of wigs.

Just wonder why wealthy men are unable to get a decent looking fit, texture and styling. Donald Trump, Paul Daniels, and Gene Simmons spring to mind.

I've read that there are great wigs, but they tend to be put on by professional makeup artists and take two hours to remove as they are so hard to take off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Minoxidil

MadsL wrote: »

Just wonder why wealthy men are unable to get a decent looking fit, texture and styling. Donald Trump, Paul Daniels, and Gene Simmons spring to mind.

I've read that there are great wigs, but they tend to be put on by professional makeup artists and take two hours to remove as they are so hard to take off.

Maybe they're so good you don't notice who is wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What Norwood are you

male-baldness.gif

A Norwood 2 is considered a "mature hairline" and not male pattern baldness although obviously it can progress to MPB. Many men when they see their hair moving from a juvenile hairline to NW 2 think they're going bald, not necessarily true. Very few men retain their juvenile hairline past their twenties. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) and Bill Clinton are examples.

Personally I am about a NW 2.5 or a 3 at worst. I get my hair cut fairly short, blade 4 back and sides and a trim on top. There is a trick where if the middle bit at the front is cut short and the sides left slightly longer it can make the sides look less receded. Some barber don't do this and will instead leave the middle relatively long maybe thinking that this will then cover the baldness if combed to the side. IMO this just looks bad.

One other thing that can make a slight difference is - don't wash your hair with shampoo. Brush it vigorously with a Boar Bristle brush when dry and and rinse it with water only. The hair retains more of its natural oils that way and IME looks thicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Hpbiea

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just cut it close tbh. You don't need to go for a blade one all round or anything like that: a tight crop that makes it plain you've accepted your hair loss is far more masculine than hair pieces, implants or comb-overs.

Ok, while with a lot of hard work and savings, I am still hoping on the HT route down the road. However, I've decided not to bother with anything in between including creams or stupid wigs or comb overs. However between the time I can afford the above, I just fukc it cut my hair down to a very light shade (maybe a 1 or below) and have also been growing a little facial hair underneath the mouth. On top of putting the effort into dressing better and wearing my glasses (for once) - this isn't bad at all, certainly a lot better and even cooler than thinning, stringy hair.

I guess for the next year or two until I have the money things won't be so bad. Thanks for the tip up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Just shave it off man. you'll look great

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

campo wrote: »
    Agree they have come a long way , but take wayne rooney as an example he paid a fortune for hair transplant and imho it looks no better then a tight hair cut that cost 10e

OP I have been in your shoes and I know how tough it is but after getting it shaved after 1 day of banter from friends no one has even batted a eye lid since

Much the same situation with myself, I always had good hair and was blond as well but when I started to go light on top it really got me down.

I tried to cover it over but realised it wasn't going to work so one day I went into the barber and got a number 1 cut.

After a day or so I got used to it and as some female posters have mentioned, most women don't mind if a guy has a shaved head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Such drama on this thread.

Start Finsasteride - preserve that you have left.

Working from there - transplants, micrografts, aren't that expensive few thousand at most, to restore a natural hairline on what hair you have.

I'm a NW2 at the moment and hoping through Finasterade and grafts to maintain a NW2 hairline indefinitely.

As for Donald Trump - genuinely have zero idea as to why he doesn't nuke that god awful comb over in favor of a genuine transplant but who are we to say? Seriously, with his income I'm bafflled as to why he doesn't pursue the genuine article available to even the average joe these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Such drama on this thread.

Start Finsasteride - preserve that you have left.

Working from there - transplants, micrografts, aren't that expensive few thousand at most, to restore a natural hairline on what hair you have.

I'm a NW2 at the moment and hoping through Finasterade and grafts to maintain a NW2 hairline indefinitely.
    Bolding mine.

If by 'indefinitely' you mean 'until you die'.

What colour will your artificially stimulated / grafted keratin strands be at your expiration date? I hope the colour will be age-appropriate - after all, you don't want to look like Uncle Barry ("... and a white wine for the ladies!") in your expensive casket (I said 'casket' because 'coffin' is a bit morbid).

What is your position on Botox? On plastic surgery? On cryogenics? On 'involuntary organ donation' (think sliced-open Chinese executed 'criminal' here)?

Your 'age resistance plan', and the OP's
    with a lot of hard work and savings, I am still hoping on the HT route down the road
    (bolding mine) seem to me to be ultimately, and totally, sad.

This is the only way to go. Imo, of course, and this post is not to be construed as condoning the first part (BG) of the BG&RH forum - one should always strive to maintain an age-appropriate BMI / vascular health balance (without non-emergency medical intervention, as if I approved of this I would be in an Oscar Pistolius (sic, see what I did etc.) situation). Confused? I mean that I wouldn't have a leg to..... OK - liposuction.

[ I have been known to post in BG&RH, but being belittled there as a result of the above paragraph would not really hurt me. I know the BG&RH guys are reading this post because they have both BG and RH on their watch lists, and I say bring it on, you baldy, fat fuppers! ]

On the Donald angle, I have often noticed the anomaly that many more elder male music / rock stars than the statistical average seem to be able to maintain their cranial hiresuteness. Exceptions that come to mind are Paul Simon and James Taylor (although most of JT's latter-day approved images stop about 5cm above his eyebrows...). I don't think the apparently full-maned stars are either using topical medication or are post-transplant. They probably employ the services of world-class (and very discreet) wig-makers. An alternative option is to have a selection of (very) tight-fitting hats - however, they they face the ultimate embarrassment of dehatment in public.

Don't be a slave to your image in the mirror. Rather enjoy your silverback status marker - even if you feel it is premature. Tilt your head back a bit (but not enough to risk being accused of being supercilious...) I don't know if it was in this thread or elsewhere that I read that in some cultures a male is not taken seriously until he develops a receding hairline. The corollary is that the further your hairline recedes, the more seriously you are taken.

TL/DR Embrace your baldness/maturity. Or if you are not too old to benefit and have health insurance, enquire about orchidectomy (donate first though).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm sorry they seem sad to you but to a lot of men, going bald is a natural but horrible experience. I, for example, am only 25, and loosing my hair at that age sucks. If you're bald and have no problem with it, great for you. But you can't expect everyone to be the same and calling it sad is unnecessary.
    What colour will your artificially stimulated / grafted keratin strands be at your expiration date? I hope the colour will be age-appropriate - after all, you don't want to look like Uncle Barry ("... and a white wine for the ladies!") in your expensive casket (I said 'casket' because 'coffin' is a bit morbid).

Do you even know the first thing about hair transplants? Because you're talking utter nonsense to be honest. They're not artificial. Hair is taken from areas of your hair immune to MPB and transplanted. Modern hair transplants look 100% like a natural hairline - hence my comment regarding Donald Trump - and they discolor and thin with old age exactly the same as they would with a non transplanted hairline in maturity.
    What is your position on Botox? On plastic surgery? On cryogenics? On 'involuntary organ donation' (think sliced-open Chinese executed 'criminal' here)?

Your 'age resistance plan', and the OP's

Don't have an opinion on botox, but like with the hair, whatever makes people happier with themselves, but comparing MPH and hair transplant to cryogenics is pretty pathetic, as it dismissing it as some sort of futile 'age resistance' plan. It's nothing to do with age.
    After a day or so I got used to it and as some female posters have mentioned, most women don't mind if a guy has a shaved head.

This part I agree with - they don't. The girl I'm seeing has even said to me she doesn't care if I have no hair. I'm looking into hair transplants/loss prevention for the same reason I'm working on my acne scars - for myself, and so that I can look easier into the mirror. Nothing to do with women, age defiance, or acceptance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Have searched a bit on Boards for this topic so I hope this is the right thread for it!

My brother is in his mid thirties and going light on top. It's really starting to get him down lately. It's all he thinks about and it has really knocked his confidence. Shaving his head isn't an option for him, he tried it and pretty much everyone (bar the people just being nice) told him it didn't suit him, he looked sick etc...and from my point of view as his sister, I didn't think it suited him either and I don't think it's a case of getting used to it, he did try but it just isn't for him. I wish it was. It would make life a lot easier. He has his heart set on hair transplant now. He has the money and while his hair loss is only starting to really become noticeable now he thinks now is the time before it gets any worse.

My questions are has anyone on here had a hair transplant done? If you don't want to say on here could you please PM me your experience of it or recommendations? He's based in Cork. We are looking in to Therapie who have clinics all over Ireland but it seems hard to find many reviews on any of these places.

Any help would be appreciated, like I said, shaving it off isn't the answer he's looking for unfortunately so if anyone has any experiences of hair transplants, good or bad I would really appreciate it. Thankyou.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Hpbiea wrote: »

I don't want to shave my head, in fact I absolutely despise that look. And can come on the only reason.they can pull it off is because they're actors. Again I hate shaved heads, and would even prefer to keep the remaining hair I have now as opposed to doing that.

I am simply looking for a way to restore hair (if thats possible) and am looking for the best route to do so. If there's not, I'll just accept and keep what I have and maybe grow some facial hair. Again please no more lazy. "shave it off" comments because I wouldn't do that if I was paid. In fairness it suits a lot of people, just not me.

Thanks

OP google the Maliniak method, apparently plenty of peopl have regrow hair with this method. Plenty of people have had success with it at the immortal hair forum.

The theory behind it is that a combination of poor bloodline a buildup of DHT causes baldness. So to solve that you have to improve blood flow, according to this method you need to massage several spots on your head daily. The areas to massage are where the galea are located. So the back and sides of your head Nd above your eyebrows.

Diet supposedly helps too.

Google the ray peat forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There is lots of good info on the web about hair transplants and hair transplant surgeons. There are several surgeons in the US who get great reviews and there are a few in the UK and Europe too. Dr Bisanga's clinic in Brussels seems to be a very good one.

Personally I would get a transplant and can easily afford it but would probably wait until I am 40 to see how my hair loss developed. NW 2 or less I wouldn't get one as that is mild hair loss. NW 4 or more and I don't think I'd get one either as I don't think I'd be happy with the density.

If a way is found to safely and reliably clone a person's hair prior to transplant then that would be a massive deal for balding men. Cloning is years away at best though, quite likely it will never be available.

Advertisement