Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Protestants.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

But it's ok for the electorate to have an Irishwoman from NI to become president?

She has no "IRA past", that´s the point.

junder wrote: »
    You claim to be from the PUL community who converted to the republican political ideology, which would mean regardless of whose ideology you may now follow your ancestors are the same as thiers ( if your telling the truth about being from the PUL community that is) which does of course beg the question of do you feel you have more right to live on this island simply because of your political conversion?

Just a side note to that:

Michael Collins about Erskine Childers: "Never trust a convert, too much to proof".

As you may know, Childers was an Englishman very committed to the Republican cause, member of the Irish Delegation to negotiate the Anglo-Irish-Treaty in 1921 and during the civil war on the side of the Anti-Treatyties.

http://www.u.tv/News/McCallister-quits-UUP-over-unity-candidate/25952682-a9de-4e68-8e28-c87fe40e2e0c

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21468573

Some interesting new developments within the Unionist community, regarding DUP and UUP = Unionist Unity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Thomas_I wrote: »
    http://www.u.tv/News/McCallister-quits-UUP-over-unity-candidate/25952682-a9de-4e68-8e28-c87fe40e2e0c

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21468573

Some interesting new developments within the Unionist community, regarding DUP and UUP = Unionist Unity.

They can join sinn fein now.

woodoo wrote: »
    They can join sinn fein now.

Good idea or better than this: all of them together could found the "United Ireland Party" by to bring unification forward.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

ardmacha wrote: »
    Anyone is welcome to come (within law) to this island and throw their lot in with its people. It is those who come to make it a colony that are not welcome.

Who's making Ireland a colony at the moment? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

old hippy wrote: »

Agreed , who is making Ireland a colony?
    There are more Muslims in Ireland than Protestants.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Hava look here;) http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/population/populationclassifiedbyreligionandnationality2011/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Northern Protestants

I think we should just leave their religious denomiation out of it, and discuss politics instead.

Protestants, Presbyterians, Roman Catholics, Hindous, Sikhs, Jews & Muslims united together, by all having differing political persuasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

There's roughly 2.6 times as many Protestants as there is Muslims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

old hippy wrote: »

col·o·ny
    /ˈkälənē/
    Noun

A country or area under the full or partial political control of another country, typically a distant one, and occupied by settlers from...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Despite the overwhelming majority of Northern Protestants still being Unionist
    Are the majority of Northern Catholics Republican in the same sense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

col·o·ny
    /ˈkälənē/
    Noun

A country or area under the full or partial political control of another country, typically a distant one, and occupied by settlers from...

Yes but who's making a colony of the Republic of Ireland at the moment? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

400 years, etc. etc.

Colony;

A much misused word in this thread + many other threads pertaining to Ireland Vis-à-vis the next door island (just 12 miles away at one point).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

LordSutch wrote: »
    Colony;

A much misused word in this thread + many other threads pertaining to Ireland Vis-à-vis the next door island (just 12 miles away at one point).

Are you suggesting that Ireland never was a colony?

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You have to hand the English one thing though; they do make exceedingly good mustard.

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that Ireland never was a colony?

The 1st time I heard colony and Ireland being uttered in the same sentence was post the GFA (1998) and I made a mental note there and then!

Nowadays of course its all over the place, and not a day goes by without somebody mentioning our 'colonial' past, or the fact that we are an ex colony, and that Northern Ireland is still a colony, etc etc etc . . .

Prior to 1998 the term was nearly always used in relation to distance (from the coloniser), the US, Australia, India, the French colonies in Africa,
    etc etc, all thousands of miles away and totally foreign to the coloniser, hence 'Colony' a foreign and far off place totally alien, but now colonised.

Ireland is twelve miles away from Britain at the nearest point, so by that criteria the term is instantly void. Then we get into the relationship between the two neighbouring islands and the interaction between us vis a vis our proximity since the beginning of time, and I say the word colony fails again on that front too. Our peoples have been interacting & mixing back and fro between Ireland and Britain since before St patrick was a school boy.

Talking about Ireland in a colonial context is a new tool in the ever emerging quest to find ourselves as a totally seperate people from the people
    in the rest of these islands, a quest that I find shallow and hollow. calling Ireland an ex British colony serves a purpose, and that's for sure.

Two islands side by side, connected by geography, culture, language, heritiage, blood lines, together on the edge of europe.

I realise that 'nowadays' I am in a small minority with my argument, but as I said above, I have witnessed a change in language, and the introduction of Colony being used in relation to the next door neighbour being the coloniser, where previously it would have been a far off place, alien and foreign to the coloniser.

Maybe my Protestant DNA has something to do with this theory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Dalriada was a colony but was it a British or Irish one?;)

There's such a thing as protestant DNA?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

RMD wrote: »
    There's roughly 2.6 times as many Protestants as there is Muslims.

Correct, I apologise, what I was trying to demonstrate is that there are more people of Non-Christian persuasion than C of I . By the way I don't have an issue with that. The C of I numbers are either falling or the number of non Christians increasing?

As a result we are as a country becoming more multi racial , multi cultural, all of which is a good thing.

Having looked at the CSO figures, of the number declaring Catholic, in real terms how many are actually practising Catholics, apart from attendance in advance of marriage, christening, first communion, confirmation?

Just a few thoughts!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Being a catholic in the south of Ireland imo can be a culture thing, much as being a protestant is in NI(not that I really believe that - your religion is not a culture).

The 1st time I heard colony and Ireland being uttered in the same sentence was post the GFA (1998) and I made a mental note there and then!

Nowadays of course its all over the place, and not a day goes by without somebody mentioning our 'colonial' past, or the fact that we are an ex colony, and that Northern Ireland is still a colony, etc etc etc . . .

Prior to 1998 the term was nearly always used in relation to distance (from the coloniser), the US, Australia, India, the French colonies in Africa,
    etc etc, all thousands of miles away and totally foreign to the coloniser, hence 'Colony' a foreign and far off place totally alien, but now colonised.

Ireland is twelve miles away from Britain at the nearest point, so by that criteria the term is instantly void. Then we get into the relationship between the two neighbouring islands and the interaction between us vis a vis our proximity since the beginning of time, and I say the word colony fails again on that front too. Our peoples have been interacting & mixing back and fro between Ireland and Britain since before St patrick was a school boy.

Talking about Ireland in a colonial context is a new tool in the ever emerging quest to find ourselves as a totally seperate people from the people
    in the rest of these islands, a quest that I find shallow and hollow. calling Ireland an ex British colony serves a purpose, and that's for sure.

Two islands side by side, connected by geography, culture, language, heritiage, blood lines, together on the edge of europe.

I realise that 'nowadays' I am in a small minority with my argument, but as I said above, I have witnessed a change in language, and the introduction of Colony being used in relation to the next door neighbour being the coloniser, where previously it would have been a far off place, alien and foreign to the coloniser.

Maybe my Protestant DNA has something to do with this theory :)

I understand where you are coming from but you still have not answered my question, just a simple yes or no answer will do, so I will repeat it again.

"Was Ireland ever a colony?"

Or was it simply just settled by loyal British subjects at the behest of the British Crown to distort and influence the demographics and control the indigenous?

My answer is already there for you in post#260.

Plantation is a different thing.

My answer is already there for you in post#260.

So your answer to if Ireland ever was a colony, is just a long no.

Surprise, surprise
    Plantation is a different thing.

That would be incorrect.

Plantation = colonization

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/plantation?q=plantation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_%28disambiguation%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_%28settlement_or_colony%29

Advertisement