Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards Better Body Challenge 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Seeing as I was kinda late to the party for week one, week 2 was my first full week. Pretty happy, got my exercise in with a mix of running, Trx classes and weights. Nutrition wise I ate fairly clean but need to watch the portions this week. Scales haven't budged but my waistbands are roomier, I feel much better and I'm sleeping like a log so happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Hovering on the self destruct button all day here today. I have no idea why!
    Felt great this morning, if a little tired. Decided I'd take it easy today, walk the dog and keep it short.
    Dd however woke up with what I though was ear infection, remedied for a while with paracetemol. Long story short, I spent the day on sofa with herself. Dh at Ballycotton all day. (he had a great time btw).
    I took a "day off".
    I feel like crap now though, and I'm nearly sure this is because I didn't do any exercise, unless you count a laundry basket full of ironing. Funnily enough I went through a gamut of emotions as I whittled the basket down! Who'd have thought ironing so therapeutic.

Ok, so I'm thinking this is normal for me. I've come to realise that each time I get into a good healthy routine, I get very easily thrown off track by events, eg; sick child, Christmas, School holidays etc.
    So how do I combat this? It is just life after all.
    Reminder to self; it's only one day!

Tomorrow after the school drop, I might try a run, as that's what I feel like doing now-running and shouting!
    Just not feeling good about myself at all right now, hopefully it's only a blip. Hormones are a curse!

Good luck to everyone for week 3. Going to focus more on sticking with it, and upping the exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Starting Weight 94.7Kg
    Current Weight 91.2Kg
    Week Two loss of 0.7Kg (1.5lbs)

Rate of loss has decreased as expected.
    Switching to morning training again.
    Gym too packed in evenings to get anything useful done.
    Vegetable intake has rocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭backinexile

Week 1:
    Weight: 163 lbs
    Body Fat: 19.3%

Week 2:
    Weight: 160lbs
    Body Fat: 18.5%

Week 3:
    Weight: 160 lbs
    Body Fat: 18.4%

Managed to achieve one of my goals of maintaining my weight at 160 lbs. Did not manage to make it under 18% body fat, I found that goal to be very difficult and I'm thinking that the .5% target loss on body fat was too much after the initial loss on week 1.
    So my target is still to get under 18% body fat but I will try and be more realistic and achieve it over a few weeks rather than in 1 week.

On the plus side, I am sticking to not eating junk which has always been my weakness, I have not had any Soft Drinks (coke) since I started this, which for me is a major accomplishment. I also have no desire to eat or drink any rubbish which I think is very good.

I also feel great and I'm really sleeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Love your sig Zamboni!

backinexile, huge improvements healthwise, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 NDGirl

End of week 2

Jumped on the scales this morning (quietly confident) to discover my weight had stalled at 72.1kg (same as last week). Have to admit I was a little gutted.

Exercise: Very good week in all. Marked increase in fitness levels. Good mix of exercise, cycling, running & team sports. I walk a fair bit every day also.

Diet: Have kept to eating non processed food & predominately paleo. Haven't touched sugar aswell. On the downside, I mentioned cuttting back on nuts last week and that sure as hell didn't happen :o. Strict, strict rationing this week!!!

Alcohol: 8 units

Focusing very much on the diet this week.
    Great treat I discovered for those partial to sweet things:
    Frozen mixed berries / Blueberries, blast in a bowl in the microwave for 1 and a half minutes. Top with chopped apple, raisins, nuts (not for me this week!), natural yoghurt. Delish.

Keep up the good work everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

NDGirl wrote: »
    Frozen mixed berries / Blueberries, blast in a bowl in the microwave for 1 and a half minutes. Top with chopped apple, raisins, nuts (not for me this week!), natural yoghurt. Delish.

I nuke the berries & add coconut milk & toasted coconut flakes (Holland & Barrett)

Don't worry about the scales, the improvement in fitness is a bigger win.

End of week 2

Jumped on the scales this morning (quietly confident) to discover my weight had stalled at 72.1kg (same as last week). Have to admit I was a little gutted.

Exercise: Very good week in all. Marked increase in fitness levels. Good mix of exercise, cycling, running & team sports. I walk a fair bit every day also.

Diet: Have kept to eating non processed food & predominately paleo. Haven't touched sugar aswell. On the downside, I mentioned cuttting back on nuts last week and that sure as hell didn't happen :o. Strict, strict rationing this week!!!

Alcohol: 8 units

Focusing very much on the diet this week.

Nuts - great for bulking - sh1t for fat loss :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I started a little late so I guess I have just completed week 1. Stepped on the scales this morning and found out I had dropped 3 pounds. I am absolutely delighted with this.

Unfortunately due to schedule I was unable to attempt IF. Had a pretty good week exercisewise doing JM 30 day shred. Started at level 2 and am finding it a pretty tough work out, I thought push ups were bad until I tried walk-out pushups!

Diet was good but could be improved. Definitely feeling I am eating less and am far more aware of portion sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

put on 0.2 of a KG

up from 81.2 to 81.4

must get back in the gym training at least twice a week

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    put on 0.2 of a KG

up from 81.2 to 81.4

must get back in the gym training at least twice a week

Ah could be just a glass of water. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Week 2

Measurements
    - | 18/02/2013 | 25/02/2013 | 04/03/2013
    Neck| 14.5|14.5| -
    Chest|39.5|39.5| -
    Bicep|13|13| -
    Wrist|6.5|6.5| -
    Waist|37.5|37.5| -
    Hips|37|37| -
    Top of legs|24|24| -
    Knee|17|17| -
    Calf|14.5|14.5| -
    Body Weight|13st 6.5lbs|13st 3.5lbs|13st 1.5lbs
    Body Fat|25.7%*|24.79%*| -

* Calc'd online based on weight & height. Can't be accurate

Good week, down another 2lbs and looking like I could break into the 12's for the first time in 10+ years by next weeks weigh in. While I'm well aware it's not all about the weight this would be a major motivational milestone for me.

Did the Wicklow Mountain Half Marathon on Saturday, very difficult course, 90% off road and a horrific 5km hike to the finish-line. Possibly the hardest thing I've had to endure physically but happy to get across the line in 2:29.

Will look to target some 10kms and maybe a flat road half over the coming months to keep me focused.

Keep up the good work people!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Week 1 86.8kg
    Week 2 85.7kg
    Week 3 84.1kg

Happy with the movement in the weight. Doing alot of weights training as well as 1-2 spin/interval sessions a week so with not drinking as much and eating better i'm seeing my body shape change a good bit. Although have my stag this weekend. Could be right back to week 1 again. Lets hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Zamboni wrote: »
    Ah could be just a glass of water. Don't worry about it.

Oh, I know.
    I'm trying to put back on a bit of weight!
    It always falls off this time of year when I go back hurling and football training due to the extra running.
    Must. Eat. More.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Yum I love doing this! With the cold weather recently I've been microwaving sliced apples with cinnamon and putting a dollop of greek yogurt on it. Totally delicious, comforting food. If I have the calories to spare I melt some peanut butter onto the apple. Heavenly.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Oh, I know.
    I'm trying to put back on a bit of weight!
    It always falls off this time of year when I go back hurling and football training due to the extra running.
    Must. Eat. More.

Take the bag of nuts off NDGirl :)

Back up the weight, didn't think I'd been doing that badly! Still adding weight to my lifts which I guess is something to be happy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

Hi All

Did 5km on the rowing machine this morning, and

Tonight workout...

Barbell Squat: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Barbell Squat: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM from test)
    Leg Press: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM)
    Leg Extensions: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Seated Leg Curl: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Triceps Pushdown: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Triceps Pushdown: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM from test)
    Cable Lying Triceps Extension: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Standing Calf Raises: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Standing Calf Raises: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM from test)
    Seated Calf Raise: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Kettlebell Swings: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NDGirl

Zamboni wrote: »
    Take the bag of nuts off NDGirl :)

Honestly I was just thinking about buying a jar of unprocessed peanut butter on my cycle home later and then I read that :D

I currently have three jars of peanut butter in my cupboard. I might have a problem :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Was in the gym this morning for a threshhold power test on the spinning bikes..... 55 minutes and abolsutely blitzed after it. Did just under 30km in the time.
    Just 2 more days of solid training and i get the weekend off. Kinda looking forward to it after that session.

This week wasn't the best.
    I was trying to keep to 1200 calories a day.
    I had less energy exercising, I don't feel like I got much from my sessions.
    I had hunger pains, so I wasn't able to sleep as well.
    I ate out twice, and went massively over calorie goal these days. :mad:
    In the end I lost 0.72 kg. I feel like I could have done better eating more.

So next week, I'm going back up to 1550 cal's a day.
    I'm away from the gym. I am aiming to walk 35km. I'm going to research some bodyweight exercises, I can do at home.

Good luck with the new week everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm away from the gym. I am aiming to walk 35km. I'm going to research some bodyweight exercises, I can do at home.

Pain train

Thats is the business. Thanks. :)

Good Afternoon all...

So far i am deign great, really cant wait till week 4 to weigh myself again,,, and see..

Todays workout:

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM from test)
    Side Lateral Raise: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM)
    Seated Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Dumbbell Shrug: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Dumbbell Shrug: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM from test)
    Dumbbell Bicep Curl: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Dumbbell Bicep Curl: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM from test)
    Incline Dumbbell Curl: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Barbell Wrist Curl: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Barbell Wrist Curl: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM from test)
    Dumbbell Clean: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)

Hi all,,,

Today's workout below...

Barbell Bench Press: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Barbell Bench Press: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest, (10RM from test)
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest, (10RM)
    Cable Crossover: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM from test)
    Bent Over Barbell Row: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM)
    Straight-Arm Pulldown: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Reverse Crunch: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest
    Crunches: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest
    Deadlift/Curl/Press: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (Light dumbbells)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭chocolatechips

Discovered that some yoghurt with frozen berries and almonds in the morning keeps me wide and alert for an awful lot longer than my usual bottle of Lucozade does. :o

Had a burger and chips last night with the roomie and felt absolutely foul afterwards. Back to my salmon darns and broccoli I think. :P

Also I can now almost manage one standing ab roll and plan to be able to do it by the end of the week. Determined to beat my boyfriends record of two. :pac:

I've had that yogurt and warm berries combo for 2 days in a row now. Just picked up another monster container of Fage actually. I'm pretty sure the people in the shop think I'm some kind of crazy yogurt obsessed person... which isn't actually too far off :D

I've been having a lot of fun in the kitchen these past couple of weeks, experimenting with fresh fish for dinner (recent convert from vegetarianism to pescetarianism so I'm not hugely experienced with cooking seafood myself) and been having seriously tasty results! Also playing around with my bulk lunchtime salads- this week I made spiced roasted chickpea "croutons" and they turned out really well, would make great savoury snacks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Hi all,,,

Today's workout below...

Barbell Bench Press: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Barbell Bench Press: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest, (10RM from test)
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest, (10RM)
    Cable Crossover: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (50% 10RM)
    Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM from test)
    Bent Over Barbell Row: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (10RM)
    Straight-Arm Pulldown: 3 sets to failure, 60 sec rest (15RM)
    Reverse Crunch: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest
    Crunches: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest
    Deadlift/Curl/Press: 10 sets of 10 reps, 60 sec rest (Light dumbbells)

Caveman, just out of curiosity, how come you are doing so many sets? 10 sets of 10 reps seems very high; isn't 3-5 sets more usual?

• Advertisement

Ok, I will explain,,,

10 x 10 training ,aka German Volume Training & HIIT Mixed together...

Lets say, you can Bench Press 50 KG, 10 times, in one go, 10 reps...

So, doing 25Kg, 10 times "should" be much easier...

Now, as 50Kg is my max weight I can do, I do 10 x 10 sets of 25KG

Sets 1 - 6 is high , and fast tempo, 7 - 10 is slow and controlled

Now, by set 8, arms is turning into jelly

once you completed 10 sets, you up the weight to your 10 rep max, as in 50Kg

And, then you do max sets...50Kg x 3

you really, really feel it after this last 3 sets... Burning Fat, plus, maintaining muscle mass

Full program below

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/six-week-shred-torch-fat-with-hiit-100s.html

Advertisement