Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do ATMs have braille buttons?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Derinda wrote: »
    Don't worry - I think every dad torments their children, mine had me believing for years that he was in the Merchant Navy when he was younger!

It's how they show love!
    How did he finally break it to you that all those strange men weren't his shipmates?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Derinda wrote: »
    Don't worry - I think every dad torments their children, mine had me believing for years that he was in the Merchant Navy when he was younger!

It's how they show love!

Did he also tell you about his friends Master Bates, Seaman Stains and Rodger the Deck Hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 doglover89

Hey SamHall and everyone,

Yep, I use a screenreader, the JAWS one mentioned above. YOu can get others though, which is good because JAWS costs like 2 grand! :(

I also use a Braille Display, which is a oblong machine which you plug in via USB port to your computer and it puts everything on the screen into Braille, wich refreshes itself as you read. (grust me, just look up some samples of JAWS speaking and you'll see why I prefer Braille!). Hope that makes sense.

Wow I never knew you could turn your screen upside-down...

Mu famly go a bit nuts whenever they want to use my laptop because I tend to forget to turn the brightness up enough so they can see the screen, because I turn it down to save the battery.
    have a ncie Tuesday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 doglover89

*sorry about all the spelling mistakes, think college is frying my brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not to go off topic too much, but I remember hearing about a website service where people would upload photos of food packets and the likes. Someone could typed the ingredients, cooking instructions or whatever back. I thought character recognition programs would do that.

After spending a short while blind (effectively) I'm not sure I could cope. On the subject of Dads, he liked putting a potted cactus near anything important as a surprise for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ever notice those 2 keys on your keyboard with the small pips, often on the F and J keys? They're to help blind or hard of sight users get their bearings on a keyboard. There's a large subset of Web and software development, known as Accessibility, devoted to providing assistance to mainly users with sight issues, but also wand users (quadraplegics) and other impaired users.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tricky D wrote: »
    They're to help blind or hard of sight users get their bearings on a keyboard.
    They're to help anybody do it without having to look. I use them all the time. My keypad has one on the 5 too.

There is a myth that green rizlas with the corners cut were so blind people could tell which side the gum was. A blind person could easily feel for the gum. The corners are really to aid rolling, making it easier to tuck the ends in, which can otherwise easily fold over on themselves if you are not great at rolling.

While it's hard to imagine using a computer blind or with a big deficit in eyesight when it's all someone's ever know I doubt they find it much of an issue. I remember having to use a laptop without the trackpad for a few days once and it doesn't take that long to get used to using keyboard shortcuts and the rest for switching between tabs, switching between windows, getting into the edit menus, opening programs etc. etc. Funny enough it was take me a day or two again to get fully comfortable doing it but I use the trackpad on my laptop less than anyone I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

rubadub wrote: »
    They're to help anybody do it without having to look. I use them all the time. My keypad has one on the 5 too.

Cheers, forgot about them being useful for typing. No wonder my touch typing has gotten so bad lately.

Advertisement