Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do ATMs have braille buttons?

Options
  • 09-02-2013 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Think about it. Are blind people using ATMs? How do they know which options they're being presented with on screen? If I had no sight I don't think I'd be using them, seems dodgy. You wouldn't be able to see if the unit has been tampered with etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can also be used by people with poor vision, makes it easier to know which buttons are which, its the same reason why push button phones have a raised mark on the middle number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I suppose it's more of an aid than a solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Somebody can read the screen for them and they don't have to reveal their pin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Cabaal wrote: »
    Can also be used by people with poor vision

Yeah but same problem. If someone has difficulty making out the 'Enter' button, how are they reading the text on screen which is usually the same size iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Can't you plug headphones into some ATMs for audio assistance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

So braileizians can use them stupid, everyone knows that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

12 element wrote: »

Yep, you can on the AIB one's anyway. Not sure about the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Why is there braile on bus stops when blind people can't see what bus is coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My dad told me that the raised dot on the 5 on a calculator was so that blind people could use them. Was years before it suddenly dawned on me that I was a gullible twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Derinda

My dad told me that the raised dot on the 5 on a calculator was so that blind people could use them. Was years before it suddenly dawned on me that I was a gullible twat.

Reading that made my day! Your dad is a genius! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

its not ? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Derinda wrote: »

Reading that made my day! Your dad is a genius! :D

I believed every word he said! The bollox :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Derinda

I believed every word he said! The bollox :-)

Don't worry - I think every dad torments their children, mine had me believing for years that he was in the Merchant Navy when he was younger!

It's how they show love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

In the canaries a few years back, we were filling up our hire car with petrol, the pumps there have speakers announcing every half litre, ie it would say one, one and a half, two, etc etc etc. this (i assume) let folk fill up without having to physically watch the pump.

My Mam, however...........

She surmised that "that's so blind drivers know how much they're putting in their cars":confused:

She's a school teacher btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Derinda wrote: »
    Don't worry - I think every dad torments their children, mine had me believing for years that he was in the Merchant Navy when he was younger!

It's how they show love!

Because no child wants to hear the terrible heart sinking truth that their father isn't actually in the Merchant Navy?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

And what's the deal with the size of aeroplane food portions...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 doglover89

Hey :)

Those things your dads told you are brilliant... and as for the Mum at the petrol pump... that's hilarious!!

I think you're right about the ATMs, whoever it was that said they've got Braille on them as a 'sort of a solution'. And yes, there are talking ones, but at the moment there are only a couple, one on O'ConnellS t. and one or two in the new AIB Lab in Dundrum town centre.

The Braille does serve some purpose though; I'm blind, and if I am using an amchine I've used a good few times before (the one near me), I know what buttons I need to press roughly, but would always have someone there with me. So basically, for me anyway, it's not much of a solution, but every little helps... :)

Oh, and my dad decided it'd be hilarious to tell me he'd deleted my thesis, the day before I was due to hand it in... oh dads and their unique humour...

doglover89 wrote: »
    Hey :)

Those things your dads told you are brilliant... and as for the Mum at the petrol pump... that's hilarious!!

I think you're right about the ATMs, whoever it was that said they've got Braille on them as a 'sort of a solution'. And yes, there are talking ones, but at the moment there are only a couple, one on O'ConnellS t. and one or two in the new AIB Lab in Dundrum town centre.

The Braille does serve some purpose though; I'm blind, and if I am using an amchine I've used a good few times before (the one near me), I know what buttons I need to press roughly, but would always have someone there with me. So basically, for me anyway, it's not much of a solution, but every little helps... :)

Oh, and my dad decided it'd be hilarious to tell me he'd deleted my thesis, the day before I was due to hand it in... oh dads and their unique humour...

Can I ask a serious question?

How do you negotiate this site, and read the threads if you're blind?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

SamHall wrote: »

Well the poster said they have someone there with them. I imagine the person reads and types for them.

Ah ok.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

There are any number of screen reader programs. JAWS is quite popular, but is not the only one. Basically reads back all text on screen. And as for getting around the site in general, a combination of bookmarks and keyboard shortcuts can make a huge difference. (Just press the TAB key on ye're keyboards and notice how the cursor moves around from option to option?)

EDIT: Oh, and these programs also tend to have a keyboard echo, which reads back what you type.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Its handy at night time when your at an atm.

Another thing is that if your covering your hands.

I never knew about the audio jack on the atms. I always think the flashing green light on the aib ones looked dodgy...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If your blind you can also use browsealoud on some websites. Not boards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Spunge wrote: »
    its not ? :o

How would a blind person know what the answer is on the calculator?

It's so you can do calculations rapidly without having to look at it (like touch typing).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    There are any number of screen reader programs. JAWS is quite popular, but is not the only one. Basically reads back all text on screen. And as for getting around the site in general, a combination of bookmarks and keyboard shortcuts can make a huge difference. (Just press the TAB key on ye're keyboards and notice how the cursor moves around from option to option?)

EDIT: Oh, and these programs also tend to have a keyboard echo, which reads back what you type.

That's really interesting. Also, frwei gvrevyer g vrevgere veryvg eiwjvber vcrwevggu vhreuf fejwi [system error] ewqjoinv vherv. You can put that in the bank!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Phoebas wrote: »
    That's really interesting. Also, frwei gvrevyer g vrevgere veryvg eiwjvber vcrwevggu vhreuf fejwi [system error] ewqjoinv vherv. You can put that in the bank!

Heh, I once was talking to someone who was fully blind that had options on their phone that would read the text messages aloud for them. They said it was often a nightmare when someone used really obscure txtspk. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

12 element wrote: »

I plugged my IPod headphones into an ATM recently and all I heard was a giant sucking sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Reindeer wrote: »
    I plugged my IPod headphones into an ATM recently and all I heard was a giant sucking sound.

inyourendo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lanyard

I've watched a few of this guys videos. He is a blind film critic! Anyway, here he is describing how he uses an iPhone:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

wnolan1992 wrote: »

On a slightly related note, when I used to work tech support, I once got a call from a guy that said "apparently his screen was funny". I tried to find out how but all he said was how he'd been told this but didn't notice it himself. He worked in the same building as me so I went up for a look.
    It turned out his desktop was upside down (On some pcs ctrl + alt + arrow key rotates your screen), he didn't notice because he was blind and used a screen reader so it didn't matter for him , but a colleague was trying to look at something on his pc and couldn't because everything was upside down

Advertisement