Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I can't decide if the girl who plays Katie is just a bad actress or her character is meant to have that constant smirk on her face all the time. Either way, her character is less redeeming than the serial killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Gah! I love the tension but so many things annoy me!!

* He tracks down Katie with his daughter and hands her the key of his grotty room over the pub. I know with TV serial killers, the answer to all questions about self - sabotage can be answered with the logic 'because: psychopath' - but why on earth would she go to the pub? Unless it turns out that there's a Myra Hindlay situation going on here, I'm calling shenanigans.
    * Did Katie really go clubbing with her grey-haired friend after that scene with Paul? Did I answer this in my previous question?
    * Paul must be the worst bereavement counsellor ever - falls out with his bosses (so, prolly unlikely to have a great reference, you'd think), swans off to Scotland on a whim (running away from one's problems, I think it's known as in the trade) - yet he's able to blag his way onto the staff of a victim support charity and get on the therapy roster of a recent survivor.
    * How did neither Paul nor Rose notice her little girl at the window as they drove away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Pretty terrible episode all round.

That beardy guy is worse than Chief Wiggam! Idiot!

They get a clear name linked to this SERIAL KILLER and there is 2 of them in an office looking into it?! They shoulda been knocking down the door of his house etc etc.

Yer wan who he kidnapped, wow. First her daughter not saying anything about a strange man in the hall at night, and not going to her dad when she saw the same man drag her mam towards a car.

Then yer wan making NO attempt to attack him (even stab him in the face with the pen she was writing with) as she knew this could be her last chance. Some might say she didn't wanna risk harm to her kids, but what about when she was in the car and another car (which happened to be a cop van) pulls up beside her, and she makes NO attempt to draw attention to her predicament.

Dingy hotel or not, did creepy McCreep really want a murder to happen on his premises?

I could go on. Like others said, the fact he is the worst employee in the world but he gets a big case with the woman he tried to kill. Ugh..... They really should have wrapped this up in one season.

How the heck are they gonna drag the "chase" out for 4 more episodes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Agree with most of the above. The first two episodes of this series have pushed the boundaries of what's credible.

It's still reasonable viewing but so much of it is just hard to credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

Agree with most of the above. The first two episodes of this series have pushed the boundaries of what's credible.

It's still reasonable viewing but so much of it is just hard to credit.

Agree entirely-too many errors being made things not being noticed etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Hi, is there anywhere online to watch the first season? I need to catch up, cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think this is the inevitable police stumbling element of the investigation. Inevitable in the TV drama sense and it doesn't bother me. Wasn't there some case in the UK last year where police searched for a body in a house and missed it, completely? Google says the Tia Sharp case.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think this is the inevitable police stumbling element of the investigation. Inevitable in the TV drama sense and it doesn't bother me. Wasn't there some case in the UK last year where police searched for a body in a house and missed it, completely? Google says the Tia Sharp case.

I have to agree, I don't really see anything unbelievable or ridiculous about the investigation. The fact that the beardy in charge guy keeps interfering trying to keep things under budget and keep everything low key doesn't help with Stella's investigation. If she was left to her own devices with unlimited budget she'd probably have nicked him weeks ago. Plus the fact that historically serial killers are rare in Ireland so the team as a whole are quite inexperienced with a case this size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Loads of examples in real life. The one that I remembered when Stella realised she'd actually already spoken to Paul Spector was the Holly and Jessica case in the early 2000s. The killer spoke on Sky News.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soham_murders#Investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

When does the second episode air?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It aired last night on RTE. You'll find it on the RTE Player. BBC will be showing it on Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Rose is still alive in the boot at the end?
    Rte player crashed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rose is still alive in the boot at the end?
    Rte player crashed!
    Yes. You can hear knocking coming from the boot of the car as he drives off in the last shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

It aired last night on RTE. You'll find it on the RTE Player. BBC will be showing it on Thursday night.

RTE1 also repeat it on Saturday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I have to agree, I don't really see anything unbelievable or ridiculous about the investigation. The fact that the beardy in charge guy keeps interfering trying to keep things under budget and keep everything low key doesn't help with Stella's investigation. If she was left to her own devices with unlimited budget she'd probably have nicked him weeks ago. Plus the fact that historically serial killers are rare in Ireland so the team as a whole are quite inexperienced with a case this size.

Ah now, there is a big difference in a body not being found in a loft in a black bag etc compared to an investigation where one of the suspects isn't investigated "cos he seemed like a nice guy with a family!" or the ONE witness, which was specifically linked in the dozy front page report as the witness, going missing after her daughter spoke to an unusual man who called himself Peter, the same name the witness knew him as, at night in their house. And still the bearded idiot thinks she might have gone off randomly for milk.....

Seriously?!

Once more, I could go on. But for me this has lost the plot. I'm not even going into the stupidity of the Katie storyline or the wife or so many other things that are unravelling in this quickly approaching farce tale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I watched the first episode of this last night on US Netflix and found it very slow but with some promise brimming above it all.

Without spoiling anything, does it pick up? Im not looking for a CSI style wham, bam type show but I cant do lethargic TV either! In other words, I dont mind if its a slow burner as long as the payoff is worth it.

Again, no spoilers please.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I watched the first episode of this last night on US Netflix and found it very slow but with some promise brimming above it all.

Without spoiling anything, does it pick up? Im not looking for a CSI style wham, bam type show but I cant do lethargic TV either! In other words, I dont mind if its a slow burner as long as the payoff is worth it.

Again, no spoilers please.

It's a slow burner but I imagine having access to it all at once would make it easier than it was having to wait a week between episodes.

As for pay off... well there is a second series so you can take what you want from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Who was in the boot of the car in the very last scene, is it the baby sitter or the woman abducted from her home, is she actually still alive.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Who was in the boot of the car in the very last scene, is it the baby sitter or the woman abducted from her home, is she actually still alive.

It's the woman he abducted. He went back to the house he had her locked up in and put her in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

How will Paul react if Sally-Ann tries to abort the baby?

IIRC he told Stella he felt a duty to protect children and he immediately disagreed with Sally-Ann when she mentioned she couldn't have the baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

or the ONE witness, which was specifically linked in the dozy front page report as the witness, going missing after her daughter spoke to an unusual man who called himself Peter, the same name the witness knew him as, at night in their house. And still the bearded idiot thinks she might have gone off randomly for milk.....

Seriously?!

He doesn’t think that! While there is a possibility that it’s connected with Paul/Peter – he’s trying to point out to Stella that it’s also possible that following the domestic there was fall out that involved her leaving or him doing something to her. Or even that there were other possibilities as to why she went missing. When he realised that there was indeed a connection with Paul (through the daughter), he didn’t want the public connecting the two and there being uproar so steered Stella away from that part of the investigation.

It was Rose in the boot – not Katie. We had already seen that Katie had managed to get herself out of the bonds (as he said she would) and was out partying with her friend – and telling the friend that she’d had sex with Paul.

As for Katie. I think that story is interesting. She's aware that there's something not right, but she so obsessed with him and intrigued that she almost doesn't care if he's the killer. I think she believes that he won't kill her. That he actually is interested in her. And to be honest, I think he's very fascinated with her so I don't think he'll kill her either.
    Its like as if the more she learns of Paul the more she's drawn in and I think he quite likes that.....

Just watched the second episode from season 2 again, when the gag was released from Rose as she was been abducted she should have let out a shrill scream or struggled when the car was beside the police jeep, like bit his ear or something. I don't get it, she had opportunities to make the abduction fail. It will be interesting to see what happens now, does anyone think that Rose is a goner or do you think he will retain her and use her for phone messages to Gibson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Just watched the second episode from season 2 again, when the gag was released from Rose as she was been abducted she should have let out a shrill scream or struggled when the car was beside the police jeep, like bit his ear or something. I don't get it, she had opportunities to make the abduction fail. It will be interesting to see what happens now, does anyone think that Rose is a goner or do you think he will retain her and use her for phone messages to Gibson.

She had already been foiled by the only car in the world with child locks on the front doors.

evilivor wrote: »
    She had already been foiled by the only car in the world with child locks on the front doors.

Ha! I did wonder about that. My car has a button on the dash for locking all the doors, perhaps him using something like that would have been more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I've only just finished episode one series one and the scene where she gave the detective her room number made me lol. Still willing to give this one a chance *hair flick, wine glass swill*

Will Rose be used now as a way of teasing through phone calls to Gibson, I can imagine Spector doing something like this to try and make a mockery of the investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

They are closing in on him anyway by the preview snippets for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Last episode on BBC2 will be 90 minutes long on 18th December - guess it will be the same for RTE on 14th December

https://twitter.com/BBCTwo/status/535735794653495296

^ Except it'll be 2 hours on RTÉ with all the stupid ad breaks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

He called the baby by her name - Katie. Anyone know who she is?

Advertisement