Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to change my life around for the better minus drink.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Sobriety has to be 100% first in your queue of priorities.

When I go to AA meetings there is a certain amount of ageism going on. Some people don't take me seriously as I'm well below the average age of people attending AA.

I know its what other people think so it's none of my business and its not but any feedback be welcome ?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I know its what other people think so it's none of my business and its not but any feedback be welcome ?

Has anyone actually said that to you or are you just presuming that's what they think?

Kunkka wrote: »
    Has anyone actually said that to you or are you just presuming that's what they think?

What I think as I said above so wondering what other people's thoughts on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

When I go to AA meetings there is a certain amount of ageism going on. Some people don't take me seriously as I'm well below the average age of people attending AA.

Never experienced this in the many years of attending AA. And never when I first went when I was by far the youngest in any group I attended.

As we say though never compare ,always identify - maybe those members are older now but were not so old on joining.

It is as well to remember also that if someone is 20 or 30 years sober the world of the alcoholic today is very different to the one when they were young and active drinkers.

This is certainly true in my own case , most newcomers in my area are cross addicted and face challenges that simply didn't exist for older people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

There are LOADS of young people in AA these days. One group I go to has a large group of them in fact, maybe you just need to hit a few more meetings as each has its own 'flavor'. A girl I am working with currently is 28 and she is not the youngest by far, one girl in our group just turned 18!

Bottom line is that alcoholism doesn't care about our age. I've known young people who've gone to jail for serious offenses involving drink, as well as attending funerals of those who went back out and didn't make it back. I am dead serious by the way, this is not for dramatic effect, this thing is fatal if left untreated.
    If I'd truly grasped the enormity of what it means to be alcoholic when I first came round AA, like the fact that I can never ever take even one drink and think my life will turn out well, I would of saved myself and everyone around me years of grief (and money, lol). Truth is anyone, any age, who makes it to a recovered state of permanent sobriety has just about won the lottery in the alkie world ;)

Amazingfun wrote: »
    There are LOADS of young people in AA these days. One group I go to has a large group of them in fact, maybe you just need to hit a few more meetings as each has its own 'flavor'. A girl I am working with currently is 28 and she is not the youngest by far, one girl in our group just turned 18!

Bottom line is that alcoholism doesn't care about our age. I've known young people who've gone to jail for serious offenses involving drink, as well as attending funerals of those who went back out and didn't make it back. I am dead serious by the way, this is not for dramatic effect, this thing is fatal if left untreated.
    If I'd truly grasped the enormity of what it means to be alcoholic when I first came round AA, like the fact that I can never ever take even one drink and think my life will turn out well, I would of saved myself and everyone around me years of grief (and money, lol). Truth is anyone, any age, who makes it to a recovered state of permanent sobriety has just about won the lottery in the alkie world ;)

Every time I relapse it hits home more that I have a big problem. The last time was scary and I swore to myself that has to be the end of it. And having people like yourself be there throughout the journey I have to say thank you because the advice here is unbelievable. I might not listen the first time, or second or third or fourth ...but eventually stuff rings through in my head.

You have the quality that matters most in this crazy game--perseverance. I'm just delighted you're back again and sharing your experiences with newcomers (and us oldtimers lol) because it does our hearts good to see you doing well :)

Posted in wrong thread earlier by accident ....here it is now.
    I believe in having a dream or a vision and here goes a few thoughts going through my head lately and stuff I have been implementing .

1. Finish my course of studies in next 18 months

2. In the mean time I'm saving up big time each month in order to have a good stash saved up so I can take a break from work around April 2016. I plan to go to NY for a week and come back abs hopefully do some research for a few months and then travel to Oz for a month to 6 weeks.

3. Go on a nice holiday to lanzarote for 2.weeks next year maybe May or Sept.

4. Go home bit more often

5. Loose weight - do some 5km and challenge events.

6. Help some people out whether it be addictions or whatever

7. Look after my mental and physical health

8. Treat my other half to an odd night out and be good to her.

9. Interact with people more on this forum and try help

10. A long term aim would be to do contract work and save wisely , spend wisely so I can take more than 21 days holidays a year. Ideally work 7 -8 months and take 1 or 2 off and recharge, do something different, so as to stop myself getting into a knot. Also to enjoy life because you only live once!

11. If your having problems with peer pressure to drink ring someone - I need to show my vulnerability because it's a good thing to talk it through.

12. Life is for living

13. I might like to go back and do a master's whether it be taught or just research but something for the future.

14. Enjoy the small things in life. Enjoy the moments

Anyone ideas of their thoughts for the future ??

Trying to look after myself a bit more both mentally and physically. Concentrating on the physical side tends to look after the mental side of things. More running and having structured proper meals is definitely having a huge effect. I will need to up the exercise to get rid off excesses built up over the years. Looking forward to that and maybe doing few challenges as something to built towards.

I'm trying to bring the man above in my day a bit more as well and get through challenges by bringing in the spirtual side of myself into things.

• Advertisement

Living in the now and being positive.

What a lovely day out and especially with a good clear head.

There is a lot to be said for it than going around like a slob craving rubbish food and in and out of bed with tiredness.

I was reading a good blog on someone of the drink for 7+ years and she has come to cross roads. She has started going AA to give it a try but looking in from the outside it looks liike AA is really the best option one can take IMO.

Happy Sunday !

Can someone tell me the difference between alcohol dependence and alcohol abuse?

I think I'm more the latter- going on benders forgetting the consequences ?

Is AA still the solution ?

It's strange you ask a question like this when you know the answers you will get, being that you've been on here for ages now.

AA members will point out (again) that "forgetting the consequences" of drinking is textbook example of the mental obsession as described in the Big Book as " a peculiar mental twist".
    Page 24, Paragraph 2: "We are unable, at times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink."

I am sure those who don't know about AA, or don't like it, will say otherwise.

Point is, you will get the answer you want eventually, and if that answer becomes part of an answer that *somehow* permits you to have a drink again someday, lol, well, I guess then you know what it is you're really after.

It's strange you ask a question like this when you know the answers you will get, being that you've been on here for ages now.

AA members will point out (again) that "forgetting the consequences" of drinking is textbook example of the mental obsession as described in the Big Book as " a peculiar mental twist".

I am sure those who don't know about AA, or don't like it, will say otherwise.

Point is, you will get the answer you want eventually, and if that answer becomes part of an answer that *somehow* permits you to have a drink again someday, lol, well, I guess then you know what it is you're really after.

Confused with your final paragragh? Sorry.....

Unfortunately I drank during week. Not gona gave sob story because my fault.

It's not about fault in my experience. It's about refusing to accept the drinking is over.

As I have shared many times, AA's theory on Alcoholism explains how my drinking was to a *T*: I took the drink, the drink took me (physical allergy), and when I wasn't on the drink, eventually my mind would conjure up some scenario or what I imagined as a plausible excuse (good or bad) that made it permissible for me to keep tossing booze down my throat. Today I see and accept that given what happens when I drink, there is nothing on earth that could ever justify me drinking again. I've accepted it. And that took a lot of time and terrible pain and humiliation, something of course I'd love to see others avoid, but it's just the nature of the beast that many alkies need to pretty badly mangled before accepting they cannot ever safely take a drink again.

If you don't think you have to stop, or that you can somehow control and enjoy your drinking again, then why not just keep at it? Unfortunately AA is for people that actually want to get and stay sober, not for those who want to drink less ;)

I wish there was a magic wand we could wave and remove your obsession with it, but we can't. It's always an inside job, regardless if one is in AA or not. All you can do is review what happened when you drank this time, and see if you can see where your mind told you, (yet again, after all you've been through) that it was a good idea to drink.

It's not about fault in my experience. It's about refusing to accept the drinking is over.

As I have shared many times, AA's theory on Alcoholism explains how my drinking was to a *T*: I took the drink, the drink took me (physical allergy), and when I wasn't on the drink, eventually my mind would conjure up some scenario or what I imagined as a plausible excuse (good or bad) that made it permissible for me to keep tossing booze down my throat. Today I see and accept that given what happens when I drink, there is nothing on earth that could ever justify me drinking again. I've accepted it. And that took a lot of time and terrible pain and humiliation, something of course I'd love to see others avoid, but it's just the nature of the beast that many alkies need to pretty badly mangled before accepting they cannot ever safely take a drink again.

If you don't think you have to stop, or that you can somehow control and enjoy your drinking again, then why not just keep at it? Unfortunately AA is for people that actually want to get and stay sober, not for those who want to drink less ;)

I wish there was a magic wand we could wave and remove your obsession with it, but we can't. It's always an inside job, regardless if one is in AA or not. All you can do is review what happened when you drank this time, and see if you can see where your mind told you, (yet again, after all you've been through) that it was a good idea to drink.

Sure I know I have to stop.

It's very hard. Went on double date during week and gf thinks it weird I can't have few drinks but I say I'm not having any. Few fights later I decide to have a few. I don't know who to blame more.

You don't seem to get it.

You drank. You put the booze into your mouth. Your girlfriend didn't and it to "blame" for nothing. You've been around AA and on here long enough to know no one else can ever really "make" us drink right?

However, you might find some clues in the line "I decided to have a few" ;)

Anyhow: good luck with it.

For me today, years away from it, I'd am so grateful to be free of this kind of madness because I never won any fight I got into with alcohol.

Sure I know I have to stop.

It's very hard. Went on double date during week and gf thinks it weird I can't have few drinks but I say I'm not having any. Few fights later I decide to have a few. I don't know who to blame more.

It is a tough choice ok but one that will inevitably be made one way or the other . The idea that got to me in the early days was '' if you want what we have and were prepared to go to any lengths to get it, then you were ready to take certain steps''

Was I prepared to go to any lengths to get it ? That is always the question and in my case I was . I ditched family and friends that didn't buy in , I never associated with my drinking 'buddies' again. I ruthlessly stopped going to pubs, I haunted meetings and hitched on dark country roads to get to them.

I endured the crushing loneliness ,self-revulsion, and despair just because I believed it would get better and in time it did . And I have been gifted a sober life of well over three decades , all because I accepted there are no half measures .

You have nothing to lose , I certainly didn't , except your life and sanity of course .

• Advertisement

You don't seem to get it.

You drank. You put the booze into your mouth. Your girlfriend didn't and it to "blame" for nothing. You've been around AA and on here long enough to know no one else can ever really "make" us drink right?

However, you might find some clues in the line "I decided to have a few" ;)

Anyhow: good luck with it.

For me today, years away from it, I'd am so grateful to be free of this kind of madness because I never won any fight I got into with alcohol.

It tough to get people behind you. I know it was me who put first drink but people around you have a big influence.

It tough to get people behind you. I know it was me who put first drink but people around you have a big influence.

Nope. You still think drinking is somehow ok, and truthfully, maybe it is for you?

You say you "decided" to take a few drinks, and you did.
    So, did it work? Could you take a "few" like you wanted and leave it at that?
    If so, what's the problem? Why not just drink and enjoy yourself?

marienbad wrote: »

Was I prepared to go to any lengths to get it ? That is always the question and in my case I was . I ditched family and friends that didn't buy in , I never associated with my drinking 'buddies' again. I ruthlessly stopped going to pubs, I haunted meetings and hitched on dark country roads to get to them.

I endured the crushing loneliness ,self-revulsion, and despair just because I believed it would get better and in time it did . And I have been gifted a sober life of well over three decades , all because I accepted there are no half measures .

You have nothing to lose , I certainly didn't , except your life and sanity of course .

Great to hear someone with over 30 years still have that sense of urgency Marien!

Your experience is a little different to mine. I was actually working in a pub when I got sober and continued to do so for the first two years of my sobriety. I also didn't avoid my friends or people who drank, although I of course didn't stay around for the drinking sessions or the like anymore. I would often go home after my shift and maybe log on to hear a talk or chat to other sober alkies the world over. I made many new contacts and even met some of them in person around the world later on. It's been a great adventure :)

By then (having tried to get sober numerous times) it was a simple case of reading the writing on the wall: the party with booze was over for good.
    I was the one who was alcoholic - not my friends. Yes many of them drank a lot, but booze didn't cause them to react and behave like I did. They could stop at the end of a night and maybe go for food or even have coffee etc--but not me. I always wanted to keep at it until I passed out or until something stopped me. I took the drink and the drink took me.

I saw after a time in AA that I owed many of my friends amends for how I'd been. It wasn't their fault I was alcoholic, it wasn't even my fault, but it was my responsibility to face the truth about my drinking and my selfish behavior and make it clear to them I would now try to be a better friend and not act that way anymore. I had to clean up my act and embrace a different way of being or else face a return to drinking and all the misery and humiliation that entails.

Everyone has their own path , we all have to find our own. One thing I wholeheartedly agree with Marien on is having to be willing to do whatever it takes to get well, and the absolute truth that half-measures do indeed avail us nothing.

Great to hear someone with over 30 years still have that sense of urgency Marien!

Your experience is a little different to mine. I was actually working in a pub when I got sober and continued to do so for the first two years of my sobriety. I also didn't avoid my friends or people who drank, although I of course didn't stay around for the drinking sessions or the like anymore. I would often go home after my shift and maybe log on to hear a talk or chat to other sober alkies the world over. I made many new contacts and even met some of them in person around the world later on. It's been a great adventure :)

By then (having tried to get sober numerous times) it was a simple case of reading the writing on the wall: the party with booze was over for good.
    I was the one who was alcoholic - not my friends. Yes many of them drank a lot, but booze didn't cause them to react and behave like I did. They could stop at the end of a night and maybe go for food or even have coffee etc--but not me. I always wanted to keep at it until I passed out or until something stopped me. I took the drink and the drink took me.

I saw after a time in AA that I owed many of my friends amends for how I'd been. It wasn't their fault I was alcoholic, it wasn't even my fault, but it was my responsibility to face the truth about my drinking and my selfish behavior and make it clear to them I would now try to be a better friend and not act that way anymore. I had to clean up my act and embrace a different way of being or else face a return to drinking and all the misery and humiliation that entails.

Everyone has their own path , we all have to find our own. One thing I wholeheartedly agree with Marien on is having to be willing to do whatever it takes to get well, and the absolute truth that half-measures do indeed avail us nothing.

Absolutely 100 % , and to this day I never ,ever take my sobriety , my programme or my meetings for granted . It seems only like yesterday I made that decision and I renew it every day .

And just get all that sh*te and debris out of my life and really begin to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

[QUOTE=Amazingfun;92568824

I also didn't avoid my friends or people who drank, although I of course didn't stay around for the drinking sessions or the like anymore. I would often go home after my shift and maybe log on to hear a talk or chat to other sober alkies the world over. I made many new contacts and even met some of them in person around the world later on. It's been a great adventure :)

It wasn't their fault I was alcoholic, it wasn't even my fault, but it was my responsibility to face the truth about my drinking and my selfish behavior and make it clear to them I would now try to be a better friend and not act that way anymore. I had to clean up my act and embrace a different way of being or else face a return to drinking and all the misery and humiliation that entails.

Everyone has their own path , we all have to find our own. One thing I wholeheartedly agree with Marien on is having to be willing to do whatever it takes to get well, and the absolute truth that half-measures do indeed avail us nothing.[/QUOTE]

Says it all for me, And well done Amazingfun and Marienbad :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spice bag

Amazingfun, you mention listening to talks, could you advise where I can find these talks, I would be interested in having a listen when the going gets tough.
    Thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/user/OdomtologyBooks

Plenty more where these came from ...enjoy!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Have had a few very bad weeks. Drank most nights out of pure habit, I don't crave it at all. I generally don't have much, maybe 4 cans, but it's still WAY over the recommended.

The thing that is worrying me is that I'm buying the cheapest drink available now (Druids cider or wacky Eastern European muck) so I'm subconsciously realising what a waste of cash it is but I'm still doing it. Also, I've gained nearly 2 stone since this time last year and I'm starting to look and feel crap again.

I know I can stop completely if I want because I've done it easily before but then after a while I decide I'll have a few some night and I'm back in the habit again before I realise it.

Starting today I'm just going to quit it again and really aim to stick to it this time rather than thinking I'm 'alright to have a few' in a months time

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Had a terrible weekend. Drank fri sat and sunday. Missed work monday due to drink. Got completely hammered last night and still feel terrible today. I am going to stop now because I have to. I am killing myself. Day number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

@Auldgranny get yourself to a meeting!!

Advertisement