Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Golliwogs racist?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I had a golliwog as a child. It was a bloody creepy thing. I used to put it under things so that I didn't have to look at it. When did 'black' become a dirty word?

It didn't. The idea that it is, is nothing more than a myth perpetuated by the terminally outraged to take a shot against the equally mythical "PC brigade".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    No. You're just a prick for not reading the rest of the thread where it was clearly pointed out that:

1) it's not racist.
    2) people who claim that they can't say "black" anymore are full of sh*t.
    No need to use that sort of gutter talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

old hippy wrote: »

We are all ethnic but the idea of calling people "non white" does feel racist, to me. As if everyone else should aspire to whiteness, like it's the dominant ethnicity?

I use terms such as 'person of colour' and 'non-white' to refer to my ethnicity because, being of mixed race there is no handy blanket term that I can employ. I think that old hippy's discomfort with the term 'non-white' may be due to its use by South Africa's apartheid regime. Again it's our knowledge of history that projects meaning on to words and symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

We are all ethnic but the idea of calling people "non white" does feel racist, to me. As if everyone else should aspire to whiteness, like it's the dominant ethnicity?
    Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I use terms such as 'person of colour' and 'non-white' to refer to my ethnicity because, being of mixed race there is no handy blanket term that I can employ. I think that old hippy's discomfort with the term 'non-white' may be due to its use by South Africa's apartheid regime. Again it's our knowledge of history that projects meaning on to words and symbols.

I don't believe that there's anything wrong with the term 'person of colour', it just sounds antiquated and better suited for use by a right-wing columnist in The Daily Telegraph.
    I've heard the term 'mixed race' used by people of mixed race, as far as I know it's 'baggage free' and perfectly acceptable, it's certainly a huge improvement on its pejorative precursor 'half-caste'.

Like 'Old Hippy', I too am uncomfortable with the term 'non-white', I can't imagine any situation where such a description would be appropriate, it's akin to a Roman Catholic being asked their religion and answering: "non-Hindu".

I totally agree with the last sentence of your post, which is not incompatible with the opinions stated in the post you quoted from 'Old Hippy'.
    Context is 99% in matters of race and descriptions thereof, the other 1% is common sense and decency, which 'Old Hippy' displays in abundance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

9959 wrote: »
    Personally I don't believe that 'black' is a dirty word, or one not to be uttered.
    Have I missed something?

I only meant that black is a word like any other word to me. I'm not racist and I feel obligated to have to point that out as a result of the insane PC twats on Boards and in Ireland in general when I do use the word. I see all people, regardless of Race, Religion, Creed or Colour as being equal. It just seems to me that all this ridiculous PC nonsense does more harm than good.

• Advertisement

I only meant that black is a word like any other word to me. I'm not racist and I feel obligated to have to point that out as a result of the insane PC twats on Boards and in Ireland in general when I do use the word. I see all people, regardless of Race, Religion, Creed or Colour as being equal. It just seems to me that all this ridiculous PC nonsense does more harm than good.

Have you any examples of where/when you were criticised for using the word 'black'?
    As a 'PC twat' I'm hurriedly thumbing through my weighty PC rule book, it's definitely not listed under the category marked: Verboten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Have you any examples of where/when you were criticised for using the word 'black'?
    As a 'PC twat' I'm hurriedly thumbing through my weighty PC rule book, it's definitely not listed under the category marked: Verboten.

* Sighs and gives bored yawn:p

:D

....and me.:p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You think thats boring? You should see the amount of discredited crap that surfaces over and over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Nodin wrote: »
    You think thats boring? You should see the amount of discredited crap that surfaces over and over and over.

You mean like that one book that says black people have a lower intelligence than all other races? It continues to pop up even though their argument and methodology have been discredited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You mean like that one book that says black people have a lower intelligence than all other races? It continues to pop up even though their argument and methodology have been discredited.

O yeah. And the free prams, the 'preferential treatment because they're black' and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think Gollies are cute little fellas and make nice play things for small children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I'd love a sambo followed by a golly bar now.

stoneill wrote: »

I'd love you to write something humorous now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lanarty94

You fool

You completely missed the entire point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Rosy Posy wrote: »

A few of my older black/mixed race friends in the UK use the term "person of colour" but not "non white". My cousin calls her daughter "bi-racial", which I'd never heard until I got to the southern States.

I had a black doll when I was a kid, btw. It was an Action Man soldier called "Tom Stone".

I'd love you to say that in public.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    there you go again, deciding what is and isn't acceptable.

It isn't up to you to decide that

Fine. Use whatever language you like. It's a free country and I respect freedom of speech. Incitement to hatred, however...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

I think that black people are naturally better athletes that white people seem to be. I've read that it's genetic, black men tend to have more fast-twitch muscle fibres than white men. Is this a racist view to have?

• Advertisement

You completely missed the entire point.

I don't believe I did, but feel free to enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Fine. Use whatever language you like. It's a free country and I respect freedom of speech. Incitement to hatred, however...

Please do show me evidence of where the term 'Non-white' would be viewed as incitement to hatred

newport2 wrote: »
    I think that black people are naturally better athletes that white people seem to be. I've read that it's genetic, black men tend to have more fast-twitch muscle fibres than white men. Is this a racist view to have?

In a thread such as this one, the above is something of an 'Uber Troll', and one in which those who would wish to accentuate/exaggerate any perceived differences between 'races' seem to revel.

Is there a unique genetic component in Asia and South East Asia to explain the dominance of China, Indonesia, and South Korea in Badminton?

Why do the Arab nations of North Africa produce so many gifted middle-distance athletes?

What do those pesky Spaniards have that we don't, in winning the European Championship in 2008 and 2012 plus the World Cup in 2010 plus Real Madrid and Barcelona's bucket full of European Cup/Champions League titles?

Why do we (Ireland) dominate the 'world of hurling', there must be a reason?

Why are people of the Jewish faith so damn good at Chess?

Besides, if being black was a guarantee of sprinting success, where are all the gold medalists from Nigeria (pop. 170 million) or South Africa (pop. 50 million)?

Genetics maybe, culture probably, opportunity - or the lack of in socio/economic walks of life - definitely.

"Is this a racist view to have?"

I don't know, perhaps 'racist' would be too strong a word to use to describe such a 'view', perhaps 'trite' would be more apposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

This thread is dumb.

Please do show me evidence of where the term 'Non-white' would be viewed as incitement to hatred

I think Rosy pointed out its context in the apartheid regime in SA. But also on a day to day basis, it can cause offence. It's comes across as dividing humanity into whites and non-whites. As if whiteness is the dominant, most important thing.

I think Rosy pointed out its context in the apartheid regime in SA. But also on a day to day basis, it can cause offence. It's comes across as dividing humanity into whites and non-whites. As if whiteness is the dominant, most important thing.

it isn't a term I have ever used, though if I heard it used I definitely wouldn't think that it meant whites were the dominant race.

To come to that conclusion one would most likely need to have underlying racist views.

it isn't a term I have ever used, though if I heard it used I definitely wouldn't think that it meant whites were the dominant race.

To come to that conclusion one would most likely need to have underlying racist views.

Ah, right. So it's actually racist of me to point out that people might be offended by the term "non white".

I see.

Ah, right. So it's actually racist of me to point out that people might be offended by the term "non white".

I see.

You would do well to read my posts before replying to them.

What I said was to view the term 'non-white' as meaning that whites were the dominant race one would have to have underlying racist views.

I stand by that statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Allow me to explain - 'non-white' implies that 'white' is the default state and everything else is simply lumped into 'non-white'. You're describing the person not in terms of their skin colour but whether or not they're white.

It'd be like calling women 'non-men'. Basically, you're describing the person as what they aren't rather than what they are. I won't say it's racist but it is lazy and doesn't offer any information - saying a plant for example is "not a tree" means it could be any other kind of plant and so tells you nothing.

• Advertisement

I don't believe I did, but feel free to enlighten me.

Indigenous words used in innocence are hijacked by a minority to promote whatever agenda they have.
    Sambo is a sandwitch
    Golly bar is an ice cream.

If it means anything else to you then that's your problem not mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement