Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Golliwogs racist?

Options
  • 07-02-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

So in 1992 the golliwog disappeared of the HB Gollybar same as the dispeared off the jars or jam and were written out of children's books.

Are Golliwogs racist? Sure the Term Wog which is a racist insult came from the
    misappropriation and shortening of the work Golliwog but is that the Golliwogs fault?

Growing up in Ireland they were on icecream bars and were the wonderful brave and interesting characters in kids book no more real then talking teddy bears or goblins. I certainly never connected them to supposedly being a nasty slur on people who had dark skin.

Ok there are images of dark skinned people which are offensive Little Black Sambo, the Inki cartoon character to name two, and there are some pretty nasty images and items usually were created in the USA and I can see how they were used to belittle and oppress African American but here in Ireland
    I think they were the same as leprecons, not real at all.

What do you think, are golliwogs linked intrinsically to imperialism, genocide, slavery and racism or just a kids toy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I would love a golly bar right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...for the love of jaysus, no, no, no.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah, you'd hear them coming out with some fierce insults

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

They were fierce fast, so I am told, that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

We used to collect the labels off Robinson's Marmalade and send them away to get little goldie golliwog lapel badges for our school blazers / jumpers. We were racist and I didn't know it until today!! Please don't send me to jail.

We also brought in pennies for "na leanai gorma". Was this racist as well? How did all the blue babbies in Africa survive without "na pingini"?

Oh I've been such an evil person, will Peter Pan and Tinkerbell ever forgive me?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

and I loved the kind of foil wrapper on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I'm never drinking Lyons Tea again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Arnott's are racist !

Golliwogs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

While you are at it, maybe it's also time for a re-examination of the Punch cartoons to see if they were really racist or if the Irish just can't take a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

The Golliwogs themselves weren't racist afaik, the people who came up with the idea of them most likely were though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Course they are. So are milky bars.

If by racist you mean awesome, then yes, yes they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Enid Blyton was a raging racist :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I was called a golliwog when I was a child because of my curly (fuzzy) hair........

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

I think they may have originated from a book character who was a chimney sweep.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Boombastic wrote: »
    Enid Blyton was a raging racist :(

Who did they replace Mr Golly with in the Noddy books/tv show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Still have mine in the attic somewhere.

Restrained with some lidl 5.99 rope.

According to Wikipedia, a white guy called Mr. Sparks

Don't know, Wasn't Big Ears under attack too

1) Because of his name and
    2) for sleeping in the same bed as Noddy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They were delicious, that's what they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So big ears was a peado?

efb wrote: »
    So big ears was a peado?

No, Noddy was old enough to Drive and had his own car for bringing Tessa Bear Shopping:)

No, Noddy was old enough to Drive and had his own car for bringing Tessa Bear Shopping:)

Ah but it might give "the gay" to the kids watching and we can't be having that can we! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Chocolate is racist!

Especially chocolate mice! They had a reddish, pink goo inside them, not entirely unlike blood and organs.

They were trying to say: black people are rodents!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Don't know, Wasn't Big Ears under attack too

1) Because of his name and
    2) for sleeping in the same bed as Noddy?

Bit o'Noddy research was needed, and came across this delightful article from the Independent no less.

Apparently "When negotiations began two years ago to screen a television version of the Noddy stories in America, Big Ears ran into problems. The network showing the programmes "could not be seen to sustain discrimination" against people with large ears. So they called him White Beard instead."

Bit o'Noddy research was needed, and came across this delightful article from the Independent no less.

Apparently "When negotiations began two years ago to screen a television version of the Noddy stories in America, Big Ears ran into problems. The network showing the programmes "could not be seen to sustain discrimination" against people with large ears. So they called him White Beard instead."

:pac::pac:

His conclusions, which won him a mathematics competition in Auckland, reveal that contrary to general belief very little crime in Toytown was committed by the golliwogs; Tessie Bear, often portrayed by feminists as a poor role model, is assertive and full of initiative; and the milkman, often criticised for Noddy-abuse, in fact hit him on the head only three times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I used to enjoy sucking Minstrels when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Well, they were... but I think many children weren't aware of that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Where To wrote: »
    I used to enjoy sucking Minstrels when I was younger.
    Is that why we don't see the Black & White Minstrels on tv anymore?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement