Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband price disappointment- not worth the hassle switching

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 basemann

What a let down. I thought sky would shake things up. When I check their offer it's actaully MORE expensive than landline unlimited calls and BB with Vodafone.

Sky have 2 BB unlimited products and depending on where you live you might fall into the more expensive 'Sky Connect' which is €20 (€10 more than advertised when you do a line check) so with €30 (talktime) it is €5 more that the €45 Vodafone package with 40 gb d/l limit or €49 with a 60 gb d/l limit.

Also no TV triple packages? They probably expect a rush of biz and then will offer triple services that when initial crowd dries up and those people a re tied to a 12 month contract. A lot of this comes back to Eircom monopoly over the landlines which to me seems to go against all anti- competion laws as Eircom win no matter what. **** you Sky and your empty promises, I feel like dumping the whole lot now and get free to air TV instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amdaley28

logic wrote: »
    I don't think its that bad to be honest. I don't have upc option where I am, so its either eircom, vodafone or sky really. Eircom give me 3mb connection with a 30gb cap for €52.99 a month, vodafone can offer 6mb connection for 31.99 with a 15gb cap or 300gb cap for €48, sky offer 6mb connection with no cap for €40. I do use skys on-demand and HD movies I download would rip through them caps in no time. My line will only go to 6mb so skys offer isn't too bad in my opinion. I don't use a landline either.

I'm with you on this one.
    In December I went over my Vodafone monthly cap of 40Gb (60Gb) & it cost me €20+.
    Now I'm with Sky that wont happen.
    Its easy to compare Sky with UPC if you can get UPC but a lot of us can't.
    I have the same choices as you so its a no brainer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

amdaley28 wrote: »

I'm with you on this one.
    In December I went over my Vodafone monthly cap of 40Gb (60Gb) & it cost me €20+.
    Now I'm with Sky that wont happen.
    Its easy to compare Sky with UPC if you can get UPC but a lot of us can't.
    I have the same choices as you so its a no brainer for me.

You can increase your cap to 70gb for €3 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

On second thoughts - what the hell am I talking about!? It's €3.99 less per month (that's one month free), no cap, and I get a new router.

Switching now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

As someone in an area that only has a choice of Eircom, Vodafone and now SKY....today i took a look at the Sky offer....

Am i reading it right?

Im currently on the €40 a month pack with vodafone free off peaks calls with up to 8mb speed with download limit 40Gb.

Am i right in saying that €40 a month with Sky will get me the same free off peaks calls but with up to 19.5mb speed and an unlimited download limit........???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Sky Broadband is aimed at Eircom and Vodafone customers, not UPC's. I read an interview where a Sky spokesperson said as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Delboy5 wrote: »
    As someone in an area that only has a choice of Eircom, Vodafone and now SKY....today i took a look at the Sky offer....

Am i reading it right?

Im currently on the €40 a month pack with vodafone free off peaks calls with up to 8mb speed with download limit 40Gb.

Am i right in saying that €40 a month with Sky will get me the same free off peaks calls but with up to 19.5mb speed and an unlimited download limit........???

Sky can only provide the dl speed that your phone line is capable of,and that depends on how far you are from your exchange.If your line can support 19.5mb then Sky could offer it,but if Vofafone say the max speed your line is capable of is 8mb or 9mb then Sky can't magically improve your line,as they are using the same Eircom line that Vodafone use.

You'll get the unlimited download cap and free off peak calls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Delboy5 wrote: »

Am i reading it right?

Yes, you are reading it right. Living in a rural area, I'm paying Eircom just under €63 p/m for so-called 'unlimited' broadband at 24mb (closer to 15mb), line rental and free off peak calls. I reckon I can get the same from Sky for €40 p/m. Seems like a no-brainer where I'm concerned - cannot see myself not changing to Sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Sky can only provide the dl speed that your phone line is capable of,and that depends on how far you are from your exchange.If your line can support 19.5mb then Sky could offer it,but if Vofafone say the max speed your line is capable of is 8mb or 9mb then Sky can't magically improve your line,as they are using the same Eircom line that Vodafone use.

You'll get the unlimited download cap and free off peak calls though.

Not entirely many phones lines are capable of much higher speeds, but Eircom has not upgraded those local exchanges to ASDL2

Anyone connected to an ASDL1 exchange can't make that jump ( because the technology in use doesn't allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

2.9 Mbps estimated speed available on my line. This line can only support 1.6 mbps max. We were with Eircom (€40 I think 10gb) now Vodafone (€19pm for the first 6 months 40gb + €3 30gb add on) so if they can't provide 3mbps then I doubt Sky will be able too unless they can magically move the exchange closer to my house.

It's not a bad offer vs Eircom, some will find it a rip off and others will find it cheaper depends on the customers needs like cheaper international calls or unlimited downloads etc but don't take the estimated speed they claim they can provide to you seriously as they are just reselling the same as what Eircom/Vodafone provide you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amdaley28

If your line can take 3Mb there is no way you will get 3Mb.
    My line is rated at 3Mb.
    The most I ever got from either Bt or Vodafone was about 1.8Mb.
    I moved to Sky & am getting 2.05 to 2.8Mb & even If I had to pay €47.50 to Sky it would still be better than Vodafone or Eircom.
    2511562975.png

Advertisement