Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband price disappointment- not worth the hassle switching

Options
  • 07-02-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi- I don’t normally post about stuff, but this is bugging me and the wife. I currently have up to 24Mb broadband for €29.95 per month. I get about 16Mb off the line with a 350GB cap.
    Being a Sky TV customer and loving that, I was excited to hear they would be doing broadband as well- everyone’s on about how great it will be, so I registered. I am waiting to be contacted by a rep, but read their website and was disappointed to find out
    1-I have to take a sky talk package for €30 even though I use my mobile for phone calls.
    2-The broadband that is included for €0 has a 2GB cap!!!! That’s Sky on-demand out the window so!
    3-Sky have the right to upgrade me to the next highest package automatically- in other words, add €10 to my bill every month.

All in all, the package is going to cost me €40 per month. God knows what it will cost next year too- I’ve just seen the new TV prices for 2013.

The question I have is- am I missing something? I thought it would be better, but it seems some other operators are better priced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

TBH, i think Sky have shot themselves in the foot with these offers. Not much there to entice people to transfer from other providers, with the possible exception of Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I wonder if their eyes got too big when they had such a big response to the trial offer, because I cant see droves of people switching with what they are offering, if I wasnt on the trial offer, I certainly wouldnt be enticed to switch.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I was waiting on this, very disappointed with the prices. Is there any company in Ireland doing JUST broadband? I use my mobile for all calls so have no use for a land line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Tom0771 wrote: »
    1-I have to take a sky talk package for €30 even though I use my mobile for phone calls.
    2-The broadband that is included for €0 has a 2GB cap!!!! That’s Sky on-demand out the window so!
    3-Sky have the right to upgrade me to the next highest package automatically- in other words, add €10 to my bill every month.

All in all, the package is going to cost me €40 per month. God knows what it will cost next year too- I’ve just seen the new TV prices for 2013.

The question I have is- am I missing something? I thought it would be better, but it seems some other operators are better priced.

The €30 Sky Talk package includes your Eircom line rental of €25.78

But the price they are paying Eircom for line rental is a fiver cheaper. They are making a few bob on that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Melion wrote: »
    I was waiting on this, very disappointed with the prices. Is there any company in Ireland doing JUST broadband? I use my mobile for all calls so have no use for a land line.

Vodafone do "Simply Broadband" for €31.99 per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Not sure about Fibre, that you need to take up their TV package to have it?

DSL is expensive because of line rental and they see it as you're paying for phone. You probably pay for calls too. Its a scam to con people from their money. Nobody in todays world needs a landline (business and services ok do)

Mobile charge you for usage which is fair enough. There prices tend to match their limits on usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭celt262

But the price they are paying Eircom for line rental is a fiver cheaper. They are making a few bob on that as well.

That's how business works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tom0771

I know, i figured that thanks, but my combined price of line rental and broadband with my current provider Smart/Digiweb is just €29.95- so beats sky by at least €100 a year. I heard prices of €17.50 etc from Sky, but I guess this was just a very limited trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It's complete greed from sky. I know 4 people already that are getting rid of sky and going to freeview & saorview and a few more that are changing to UPC because of sky's ridiculous charges.

I actually thought that sky broadband when it came in would be a good deal but it's actually atrocious. No sane person would go with sky these days especially if you have UPC. As was said though, their eyes got too big starting this broadband here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I was a little disappointed too, it's only marginally better than my current Vodafone BB with a saving €3 per month. Not worth switching right now IMHO. If they offered it without the phone (€25.78 LR + €10 BB) I'd go for it.

celt262 wrote: »
    That's how business works.

How enlightening. :rolleyes:

And Sky certainly know how to do it and rip-off people in the process.:mad: Nothing market-breaking in these latest offers

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I don't think its that bad to be honest. I don't have upc option where I am, so its either eircom, vodafone or sky really. Eircom give me 3mb connection with a 30gb cap for €52.99 a month, vodafone can offer 6mb connection for 31.99 with a 15gb cap or 300gb cap for €48, sky offer 6mb connection with no cap for €40. I do use skys on-demand and HD movies I download would rip through them caps in no time. My line will only go to 6mb so skys offer isn't too bad in my opinion. I don't use a landline either.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭lotas

Sorry, i must have missed something here... Your currently paying your currently provider EUR30 a month for broadband, and Sky EUR30 for TV... and you replace your broadband with Sky, and your outgoings become EUR40 a month... saving you EUR20... and you get an "unlimited" download cap... again, did i miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tom0771

lotas wrote: »
    Sorry, i must have missed something here... Your currently paying your currently provider EUR30 a month for broadband, and Sky EUR30 for TV... and you replace your broadband with Sky, and your outgoings become EUR40 a month... saving you EUR20... and you get an "unlimited" download cap... again, did i miss something?

Think you missed most of the post. There's no €20 saving, its over 30% more expensive. Just surprised, thats all. I pay €67per month for sky Tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Yes your missing the sky tv package charge, the 40 euro you quote is simply for phone and broadband and not the sky satellite package.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

It's a really poor offer from Sky. Only offering broadband to customers who will also get a landline is absolutely ridiculous. Very few modern households need a landline. As a sky tv customer, why on earth can I not get broadband?

This is all the more annoying because I live in an apt complex that can only get sky tv. At least when I had NTL in my old house I could get broadband without line rental and without a stupid landline. I'm stuck with my mobile broadband stick now. What a disappointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

redlead wrote: »
    It's a really poor offer from Sky. Only offering broadband to customers who will also get a landline is absolutely ridiculous. Very few modern households need a landline. As a sky tv customer, why on earth can I not get broadband?

This is all the more annoying because I live in an apt complex that can only get sky tv. At least when I had NTL in my old house I could get broadband without line rental and without a stupid landline. I'm stuck with my mobile broadband stick now. What a disappointment!

The broadband is carried on the landline...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the_eman_pablo

Everyone is forgetting that SKY's main priority is T.V!

The BB + Talk is just for the convenience of having 1 direct debit!

The sky hub is also very good at channeling the best line for your broadband without the line dropping or any interference!

SKY was never going to compete with upc for BB! but UPC are never going to compete with SKY for T.V?

if you bundle the most basic Sky T.V package which is 27euro, with the unlimited broadband and freetime package its 67euro? which is cheaper than upc's 69!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Will they be offering an all in one tv, broadband and phone package like UPC do?

• Advertisement

Will they be offering an all in one tv, broadband and phone package like UPC do?

My guess is that they will have to. I cannot see a mad rush to sign up at those prices, and when Sky see only a trickle of new customers signing up, they won't be long adopting a new scheme to prise customers from Eircom & Voda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Anyone know how much it is for TV phone and broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the_eman_pablo

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much it is for TV phone and broadband?

67 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭lotas

Yes your missing the sky tv package charge, the 40 euro you quote is simply for phone and broadband and not the sky satellite package.

Nope! the 40 includes the TV. I am a sky customer, their site is telling me the standard service is free with my package (HD Pack + Multi room, about EUR55 a month) or a EUR10 for the extended pack...

Nope! the 40 includes the TV. I am a sky customer, their site is telling me the standard service is free with my package (HD Pack + Multi room, about EUR55 a month) or a EUR10 for the extended pack...

If it is grab it while you can. Could be a misprice a la the Voda iphone one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

If you add it there youll see it comes up and says you need the base line pack too.

TBH its saved me some money, i had the Vodafone 24meg Call anytime pack + Sky €27 Package.

€59+27 - €86
    With sky
    €74 with sky, bonus's for me are the international call rates. Id spend an extra 20 a month on calls to the US. It can work out cheaper for some people, it depends on your usage really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Very poor offering from Sky, I'm already a Sky TV customer and was on the phone to them looking to get the broadband and phone added and got a total monthly price of €97.50, that's for:

Sky Entertainment Extra pack with Multiroom - €50
    Sky Broadband Unlimited - €10
    Sky Talk Anytime - €37.50

Currently I have the following and will be staying with it:

Sky Entertainment Extra pack with Multiroom - €50
    Vodafone At Home Talk Anytime + Ideal BB - €49

So a "massive" :rolleyes: saving of €1.50 a month, but there's no saving to be made really because if I were to go with Sky for everything I would lose out on my 200 Anytime Minutes to 3 nominated VF mobile numbers each month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Went with UPC this mornig instead of Sky. 50MB Fibre Power BB with a landline for €44, and as an added bonus its half price for the first 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Went with UPC this mornig instead of Sky. 50MB Fibre Power BB with a landline for €44, and as an added bonus its half price for the first 4 months.

That's great, and most people with the choice would go with UPC for broadband. It's a completely different service.

If I could, I'd get Sky TV and UPC broadband. That would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

redlead wrote: »

Sky don't have a choice in this,
    DSL requires a PSTN (phone line) line and eircom control the PSTN lines in this country.

If you want DSL then Sky have to pay eircom wholesale for the PSTN line regardless of if you want it or not to make calls, you can't expect them to make a loss on selling the product can you?

People often compare Sky in the UK but thats a pretty unfair comparison as the market and network type is completely different to Ireland.

For starters all the major DSL providers in the UK have established very good coverage with their LLU networks, so they don't have to use BT's DSLAM's for a majority share of their network/customer base.

So for example if a provider like Sky or TalkTalk in the UK provide a customer with a DSL service via BT Wholesale's equipment (ip-stream) then it would cost say 10 GBP to do this (this does not take into account line rental costs).

If on the other hand they provide a customer with DSL using their own LLU equipment then it costs closer to 5 or 6 GBP per line, this is a significant saving to the provider and it really add's up.

It also means they have alot more control for offering services like ADSL 2+ and tweaking things more etc.

Now Sky in Ireland does have access to a LLU network but comparative to the land mass in Ireland its tiny and not very well established, its also not owned by Sky....its owned by BT Business

Previously I've used BT Business for DSL in Ireland and they did offer a ULMP unbundled product which is basically a DSL only line with no phone services, but this service came at a price, it was only available to business customers, t was only on LLU exchanges and it still needed a PSTN line to be installed at the start to provide the DSL service.

This situation is crap but its a situation of this country's making, in particular its down to the fault of Eircom and Comreg.

A cheaper package from Sky would be nice but they only have what they can work with and like any company they must make money off of it, after all it costs more money to employee staff in Dublin then India (Sky after all are employing staff in Dublin for this).

Many providers in the UK offer really cheap prices but they also offer really poor support, its a case of you get what you pay for. The devil is in the detail here!

- So instead of support from Ireland/uk staff you get support from India,
    - Instead of Fujitsu exchange equipment and netgear or linksys routers you end up with huawei exchange equipment and huawei routers (I wouldn't want a huawei router if I was given one!)

Don't always think the UK providers are offering a good thing, because while it may look good on paper the service itself can be crap. I can tell you this from experience in the industry in the uk.

Now I'm not saying Sky use crap equipment in the UK and off hand I'm not aware of what exchange equipment Sky use in the UK but I do know they got a very good head start on their LLU and had some very good people involved in its rollout and establishment of it.

Sky were never going after upc, ok they want to stop some bleeding of customer's to upc but they know right well they can't compete with them speed wise.

However Sky can and will have an affect on the other ADSL providers especially eircom who have always in my view overpriced their products.
    I'm stuck with my mobile broadband stick now. What a disappointment!

How are you stuck with a Broadband stick?
    Get a PSTN line installed and get DSL, unless of course the apartment rules prevent you getting a phone line installed? In which case even if you could get a ULMP unbundled product from Sky you still couldn't get it (see above info).

Advertisement