Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, rules of the road, a bit of cop on!

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

Jawgap wrote: »
    What? You're a Luas driver?

That's the only way I know a company would pay for you to commute home!

:rolleyes:....Good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

.....plus on a bike you're always guaranteed a seat - not the case, even you pay over a €1000 for an annual ticket.....

.....that €1000 would buy a lot of bike;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

chopper6 wrote: »
    This is Plymouth in England,yes?

Do we have the same laws now?

Yes, dangerous driving laws apply in both Ireland and the UK. Does that come as a surprise to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

.....plus on a bike you're always guaranteed a seat - not the case, even you pay over a €1000 for an annual ticket.....

.....that €1000 would buy a lot of bike;)

OH just got a trek 7.3 for 525 brand new! Way better and lasts longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    OH just got a trek 7.3 for 525 brand new! Way better and lasts longer.

Get it on the Cycle to Work Scheme?

That must have saved you a fair bit in tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

chopper6 wrote: »
    People who see signs and decide to ignore them....that sort of person.
    You mean signs that aren't legal, those kinds of ones?

Still irrelevant to the point. If you have to swerve, you've already made the mistake. It means you've failed to take all conditions into account. If you're incapable of dealing with both overtaking another road user and avoiding a puddle at the same time, then you're clearly incapable of competent driving.

I've passed two driving tests. They are no indicator of a competent driver. I was a terrible driver when I passed my car test. I'm marginally better now.

We all make mistakes, I've had to swerve my car a couple of times over the years. If you claim you have to swerve around every puddle, you might want to hang up your keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Get it on the Cycle to Work Scheme?

That must have saved you a fair bit in tax.

Nah, he saved up and is using xmas money from family to buy it for college. Will save us at least 25 a week on just in and out of college. It was 2012 season colours so we got a fortune off. It was still in the bloody box! Fantastic value!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    As most cyclists already pay Motortax and car insurance for the vehicle sitting in there driveways, surely this is just double taxation when there's already Property tax, water charges, VAT...etc..etc...etc..

How to you propose to enforce this Tax and insurance? Discs and license plates on bicycles?

If little Jonny or Mary who are say..7 years old are pulled over at a Garda checkpoint for no bicycle tax or insurance will they get points on there license or be arrested and spend time in a Garda cell until there parents come and bail them out?

Cycling infrastructure comes out of the same pot as roads, paths etc, its called MOTOR tax not ROAD tax after all..
    Unless you want to insist pedestrians pay walking tax for new paths?

You don't need to pay motor tax if the vehicle isn't in a public place and has been declared off road ( note the declaration is off ROAD not off motor )
    https://ncts.ie/motortaxnews.html
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/QA-DeclaringaVehicleOffTheRoad/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Spook_ie wrote: »
    You don't need to pay motor tax if the vehicle isn't in a public place and has been declared off road ( note the declaration is off ROAD not off motor )
    https://ncts.ie/motortaxnews.html
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/QA-DeclaringaVehicleOffTheRoad/

You also don't need to pay motor tax if you are a road user that does not have a MOTOR i.e. cyclist, skateboarder, horserider.

seamus wrote: »
    If you can't avoid routine hazards without swerving, you shouldn't be on the road. You'd fail your test for that one.

Debatable point, sudden changes in direction and braking may cause a loss of control in any vehicle, however, the deliberate swerving into a puddle to soak anyone is driving without care and attention, that applies to cyclists I've seen punisnment passing pedestrians because they dared to walk around a puddle and use a cyclepath/road etc.

• Advertisement

penguin88 wrote: »
    You also don't need to pay motor tax if you are a road user that does not have a MOTOR i.e. cyclist, skateboarder, horserider.

Tha isn't the poster I was replying to's point, their point was they have a car in the driveway that has been motor taxed and insured but they cycle, my point is they needn't pay motor tax if it's declared off ROAD, if they wish to use the motors they have on the ROAD then they need to pay the motor tax, regardless of if tyey use the motor or not, I think you will find that even if they were ( for some reason, maybe a flat battery or no fuel ) pushing the car on the road would require MOTOR tax therefore it isn't actually a tax on a MOTOR

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Spook_ie wrote: »
    the deliberate swerving into a puddle to soak anyone is driving without care and attention, that applies to cyclists I've seen punisnment passing pedestrians because they dared to walk around a puddle and use a cyclepath/road etc.
    Agreed. I used to have a mate who did that on rainy days. Guy was an asshole, probably still is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Thread has long run its course.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement