Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix, worth it?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

DubTony wrote: »
    Your link doesn't work.

Netflix has a search box on the top right of the page (when viewing the website). Type into that and you get a list. As for browsing, there are categories at the top of the page and arrows right and left to browse.

It's not TV you know. They don't have listings. Seems fairly straightforward.

The link works for me. I only see the search box when I sign in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

The link works for me. I only see the search box when I sign in though.

Thanks. That answered my question. Based on what you're saying I guess you have to register before they'll let you use their search dialogue boxes. Kinda defeats the point in my particular case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I wouldn't say it's worth it. Everything that's on it and more are available online to stream or download for free.

Neeson wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's worth it. Everything that's on it and more are available online to stream or download for free.

You can get a lot of stuff illegally, this is legal and quite inexpensive.

For 7 euro a month Netflix is a bargain and the kind of people who will tell you that its all free online are generally the same tossers who will mean about how "cinema and TV has gotten really crap".

No. Sure going to the cinema is all about the experience and eating popcorn, looking at the big screen, surround sound and sitting in a room with others.

You can download anything you find on Netflix in ordinary quality or HD quality if you want elsewhere. Just because you download or stream online doesn't mean you don't go to the cinema or think its crap. It's a different thing I think.

I wouldn't be too fussed about watching something in great HD anyway. As long as its decent enough watchable, maybe DVD quality then all is good. And sure I may indulge myself the odd time and download something that's great unreal HD or Bluray quality.

• Advertisement

For 7 euro a month Netflix is a bargain and the kind of people who will tell you that its all free online are generally the same tossers who will mean about how "cinema and TV has gotten really crap".

No. Sure going to the cinema is all about the experience and eating popcorn, looking at the big screen, surround sound and sitting in a room with others.

You can download anything you find on Netflix in ordinary quality or HD quality if you want elsewhere. Just because you download or stream online doesn't mean you don't go to the cinema or think its crap. It's a different thing I think.

I wouldn't be too fussed about watching something in great HD anyway. As long as its decent enough watchable, maybe DVD quality then all is good. And sure I may indulge myself the odd time and download something that's great unreal HD or Bluray quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Netflix quality is decent and the resume feature is good. The Irish content is quite poor though, the US one, is better. But even the US one doesn't have a the latest movies. Lots of kids stuff though. But it is cheap, so trying it for a month or two isn't much to see if you like it. Big flaw for me is the parental controls. its too hard to flick between kids only setting and everything else.

If your a big movies fan and near an extravision maybe their new 20 a month might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

And how is doing this supporting the creation of new content? Netflix is increasingly bringing quality programming and giving other projects a much needed boost. Easy to find new shows too, because of Netflix I've found what are now some of my favourite shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think the content has improved a bit since it launched here (or that may be my imagination). Still dislike the layout, mind.

Liam O wrote: »
    And how is doing this supporting the creation of new content? Netflix is increasingly bringing quality programming and giving other projects a much needed boost. Easy to find new shows too, because of Netflix I've found what are now some of my favourite shows.

Ah I know it doesn't support new content. But from a purely selfish and money saving point of view I wouldn't bother when the equivalent and more can be found for free in similar quality elsewhere.

You probably have a point about finding out about shows. But i can use google and this forum to find out about those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

For university it is definitely worth it. I use it on the Wii hooked up to the TV

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you're wondering what titles are available on the UK/Ireland version then check out:

http://uk.istreamguide.com/

It's fully searchable and you can list titles by year released and more. It also details what's added each week.

There's companion sites linked from there detailing the US content for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah I know it doesn't support new content. But from a purely selfish and money saving point of view I wouldn't bother when the equivalent and more can be found for free in similar quality elsewhere.

You probably have a point about finding out about shows. But i can use google and this forum to find out about those.

Hey you can shoplift too instead of that stupid "paying for things" idea.

Using netflix is easier and more convenient than alternative methods. The only issue (for me) is the content could be better.

ixoy wrote: »
    If you're wondering what titles are available on the UK/Ireland version then check out:

http://uk.istreamguide.com/

It's fully searchable and you can list titles by year released and more. It also details what's added each week.

There's companion sites linked from there detailing the US content for comparison.

Handy link. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I download a lot of newer stuff. BUT I have netflix for last 4 months now and would not get rid of it. The breadth of content is great on the US and Irish sites. We pick up a lot of movies and shows we wouldnt have otherwise seen, and I have now seen all the episodes of Law and Order SVU..which is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Will we ever see The Walking Dead on our version? I think it is on the US one anyway. Also will they add the remaining episodes of Breaking Bad one by one or do we have to wait until it has all been shown on US TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

mutley18 wrote: »
    Will we ever see The Walking Dead on our version? I think it is on the US one anyway. Also will they add the remaining episodes of Breaking Bad one by one or do we have to wait until it has all been shown on US TV?

They dont add episode by epsiode and I dont see them adding the final 8 episodes of Breaking Bad while they are still being aired.

Having said that the first part of season 5 still isnt up on US Netflix, and I was surprised how quickly it was up on the Irish/UK one, shortly after it finished airing, so it could be up October/November time.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

adox wrote: »
    They dont add episode by epsiode and I dont see them adding the final 8 episodes of Breaking Bad while they are still being aired.

Having said that the first part of season 5 still isnt up on US Netflix, and I was surprised how quickly it was up on the Irish/UK one, shortly after it finished airing, so it could be up October/November time.

That's not entirely true.. Netflix Canada added the show Rectify episode by episode as it aired in the States so there is precendent for Netflix putting shows up in that format.

Saying that, I agree that it's doubtful they will do so for Breaking Bad. i'm pretty sure it will be up on Irish Netflix within a few days of it ending on TV in the States, just like the first half of season 5 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Also on Irish Netflix they are adding each new episode of the US version of the Killing season 3 the day after it airs in the states

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Hey you can shoplift too instead of that stupid "paying for things" idea.

True. But that's just totally different isn't it. There'd be a massive amount of people steaming films online on the likes of putlocker and those type of hosting services. Many would be downloading torrents and the like as well. It's so widespread these days it's nearly seen as not being wrong. I'm sure you have friends or family who do it themselves.

I suppose its got to the stage where you kind of dont see anything wrong in it. I know it isn't a good thing technically but i always think that if I didn't download an album or stream a film I wouldn't go our and buy it or watch that particular film in the cinema anyway.

I'd probably only have 10/20 albums on my iPod. Sure I'd only go to the cinema to see something good or blockblustery as well. Using streaming online I could just stick on a crock of sh1t to pass a few hours. But I wouldn't have wanted to see it enough to buy it on DVD or go to the cinema for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

IMHO Netflix is absolutely worth the €7 a month.

When searching for what's available from the Irish/UK regions I find www.moreflicks.com to be invaluable, it can also be used for other regions if you so wish.

True. But that's just totally different isn't it. There'd be a massive amount of people steaming films online on the likes of putlocker and those type of hosting services. Many would be downloading torrents and the like as well. It's so widespread these days it's nearly seen as not being wrong. I'm sure you have friends or family who do it themselves.

I suppose its got to the stage where you kind of dont see anything wrong in it. I know it isn't a good thing technically but i always think that if I didn't download an album or stream a film I wouldn't go our and buy it or watch that particular film in the cinema anyway.

I'd probably only have 10/20 albums on my iPod. Sure I'd only go to the cinema to see something good or blockblustery as well. Using streaming online I could just stick on a crock of sh1t to pass a few hours. But I wouldn't have wanted to see it enough to buy it on DVD or go to the cinema for it.
    I've always felt that if there was a legitimate and reasonably priced alternative to torrenting I'd use it first, so I have :)

I suppose if we had a shop where we could walk in and take something freely with little risk while wearing balaclavas then most would do it. Then when you get that habit you'd think why go to this other shop and pay for it when you can go into this place nearly anonymously and unlikely ever getting taken up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

thats one of the worst analogies for pirating ive ever read

alanc2003 wrote: »
    thats one of the worst analogies for pirating ive ever read

It was in response to the person who brought up stealing from the shop. People can use Netflix if they want. I'm sure it's nice.

Anyway.

G'luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 biggerfamily

Anyone know why Im having logon problems on my Mac for Netflix, it works on my other devices: this is the error I get

Method Not Allowed

The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /fblogin.

Ive contacted Netflix and they say the problems not on their end

any help greatly appreciated

Advertisement