Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix, worth it?

Options
  • 05-02-2013 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

How good is the Irish catalogue now? I used the free trial when it came to Ireland but not after that. Maybe it could be worth it if I change DNS settings and use US library? What you guys think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Please familiarise yourself with the charter before you start discussing how to bypass region locking, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Imo Netflix is not worth it. All of its content and more is available online for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

How good is the Irish catalogue now? I used the free trial when it came to Ireland but not after that. Maybe it could be worth it if I change DNS settings and use US library? What you guys think?

Worth it just for house of cards! :D

Seriously though, I think it's worth it. Being Able to stream high quality TV and film to more or less any device in the house, with reliable speeds/service, and other things like resuming where you left off from and the recommended TV shows all make it a must have for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

House of cards made me sign up for the free trial.

I'm still making my mind up on it. In terms of the shows I like, the majority of them aren't on it at all.

However from a film presepective I'm sure I'll find loads in it.

Price wise I think that it's good value so far - I'm not someone who re-watchs much stuff at all, so if I buy a movie/series, I only watch it once. In that case I'm much better of with something like netflix.

Imo Netflix is not worth it. All of its content and more is available online for free.

You're so right. I used to go to the cinema every week but now that everything there can be got online for free, why should I bother? It's not like there's any difference between a 700m avi file and that HD version on Netflix.

Netflix is a great service for the price. Yes the catalogue is primarily made up of older material but there's thousands if films and series to watch and the quality is generally excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Its €7 a month, of course its worth it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for me its a great service, like most people i used to watch movies online through channels which are not legal but over the past year I have grown against illegaly downloading movies online, its harm really is taking effect with places like HMV closing down. So Netflix is a step in the right direction towards high quality online service for a cheap price that anybody can afford. It still has a long way to go tho, it could do with much more stuff and newer material but I think Netflix are working towards that to become a bigger player in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Darko wrote: »

You're so right. I used to go to the cinema every week but now that everything there can be got online for free, why should I bother? It's not like there's any difference between a 700m avi file and that HD version on Netflix.

Netflix is a great service for the price. Yes the catalogue is primarily made up of older material but there's thousands if films and series to watch and the quality is generally excellent.

Except Netflix is legal and supports the film industry in continuing to create content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think its great, at the weekend I was thinking back to an old box set I watched and decided to have a look and there it was, all 200+ episodes. Ready to watch, decent quality, and no risk. €7 a month for Netflix - we're paying €120 for Broadband/TV/Sports package!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

I tried that, you actually loose some stuff thats available on the Irish netflix since it detects you're in the US and don't really gain anything decent because your account is Irish, you end up with a substantially smaller library of stuff.

You see pop up ads about "Traveling with netflix" and it screws up your preferences and recommendations. Not worth the effort.

The regular netflix IMO is worth the €7 a month just for the convience of being able to use the wii remote for online tv instead of the hassle of plugging the laptop into the TV and having to go over and back to put on something else.

If it saves you renting a DVD or 2 a month its worth it... same price pretty much..

I really don't care about piracy and I pirate stuff all the time, Its just netflix is so convenient its actually worth paying for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Datzmer

I don't know when you joined but there are MANY great shows on the Irish catalog at the moment.

Dexter
    Breaking Bad
    Southpark (S10-14)
    Doctor Who (David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston Series)
    The list goes on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 karlobrien_

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭abbeyrock

waste of time and money, most of the content you want is available free, youtube are getting involved now with their version, eventually the film industry will just have to realise that the only money they will make will be from product placement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Its worth is for arrested development seasons 1-3 alone, never mind that season 4 will be a netflix exclusive.

vard wrote: »

Except Netflix is legal and supports the film industry in continuing to create content.

Notice the sarcasm in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 doodahump

I have Netflix since it was introduced in Ireland and have to say I always find something of interest to watch + the kids watch stuff on it all the time so +++ from me . defo worth it.

7 euro is cheap but i still would not bother with it. Example Season 5 of breaking bad was online in the summer but not on netflix until November why wait?.

Also out of curiosity whats the advertising like with netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

There is none.

7 euro is cheap but i still would not bother with it. Example Season 5 of breaking bad was online in the summer but not on netflix until November why wait?.

You mean that it was on in the US during the summer, it still hasn't aired on TV here. Sure you can download the episode but with Netflix's Super HD you really cannot get a version as nice looking.

For 7 euro a month Netflix is a bargain and the kind of people who will tell you that its all free online are generally the same tossers who will mean about how "cinema and TV has gotten really crap".

You mean that it was on in the US during the summer, it still hasn't aired on TV here. Sure you can download the episode but with Netflix's Super HD you really cannot get a version as nice looking.

For 7 euro a month Netflix is a bargain and the kind of people who will tell you that its all free online are generally the same tossers who will mean about how "cinema and TV has gotten really crap".

• Advertisement

I find the quality fine nd dont care much for hd as my connection is not great and dont want to wait for it to buffer.

I do my best not to generalize or make broad statements and have little respect for those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

18 TV shows? Is that all? South Park only from series 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

abbeyrock wrote: »
    waste of time and money, most of the content you want is available free, youtube are getting involved now with their version, eventually the film industry will just have to realise that the only money they will make will be from product placement

23 million subscribers would disagree with you.

I find the quality fine nd dont care much for hd as my connection is not great and dont want to wait for it to buffer.

I do my best not to generalize or make broad statements and have little respect for those who do.

If you think that a 700m film is representative of how a film should look and be enjoyed then I feel sorry for you. It's like those people you see watching a film on their iphone. It's a waste and no matter how you look at it they have not experienced that film. They have seen it but they have not experienced it.

I love Breaking Bad, it's one of the finest shows ever made and to have access to all the episodes to date for 7 euro a month is an absolute bargain. That they got season 5 a few months after it aired in the US was a stroke of genius on their part.

As for my generalization, I try and stay away from them but as far as I am concerned if you pirate most of the films and TV you watch then you can never complain about how poor cinema/TV gets. Reading through certain threads on here and I always find it funny how people will discuss seeing a film months before it's released over here and then 6 months down the line be posting about how it's been a bad year for cinema.
    mitosis wrote: »
    18 TV shows? Is that all? South Park only from series 11?

There are far more than 18 TV shows on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I love Netflix, I have ended up watching so much stuff that I might never have heard of if not for it. It's cheap, it works well on even crappy speeds. I have pirated for years just for convenience and because no service was providing what I could get for free, now I have Netflix, it is exactly what I want, resonably priced and more convenient than pirating. Now if only content providers would realised that Netflix is their iTunes then things would be a lot better for everyone, they have to understand that for most people if they aren't going to give them what they want then they are just going to get it elsewhere. I have US Netflix and I think it's better than the Irish one by a long shot

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I love Netflix, I have ended up watching so much stuff that I might never have heard of if not for it. It's cheap, it works well on even crappy speeds. I have pirated for years just for convenience and because no service was providing what I could get for free, now I have Netflix, it is exactly what I want, resonably priced and more convenient than pirating. Now if only content providers would realised that Netflix is their iTunes then things would be a lot better for everyone, they have to understand that for most people if they aren't going to give them what they want then they are just going to get it elsewhere. I have US Netflix and I think it's better than the Irish one by a long shot

I agree, and the amount of documentaries i watch on it is worth the fee alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I agree, and the amount of documentaries i watch on it is worth the fee alone.

I have become a documentary junkie since I got Netflix, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Darko wrote: »

Darko I wouldnt bother debating with those fools who care nothing about quality and care only if its free and available now this minute, there is a whole generation too stupid to realise that good films and tv cost a lot of money to produce and if you asked them to explain how future brilliant shows and films will be made without any funding from sales would just stare at you blankly, as you say they also have the cheek to complain about those shows/films!

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but the counter argument is that you can download all the Netflix stuff off torrent sites or stream it. But if you go over your download limit from your broadband provider (unless you are on unlimited) wouldn't it cost a lot more than the 7 euro that Netflix charges monthly?

• Advertisement

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but the counter argument is that you can download all the Netflix stuff off torrent sites or stream it. But if you go over your download limit from your broadband provider (unless you are on unlimited) wouldn't it cost a lot more than the 7 euro that Netflix charges monthly?

You could also go over your limit by streaming through Netflix. The counter argument is that yes you can get everything for free but Netflix offers better quality, you can watch what you want when you want and for the cost it offers a number of hidden gems that you may otherwise never see.

Advertisement