Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious Pirate radio station in Renmore

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone remember some 24 hour German europop that was re-broadcast in town on Fm in the mid-90s? It lasted almost a year before disappearing. It had very catchy jingles and traffic reports in Frankfurt sounded so exotic at the time..

ya, it was broadcast from one of the rooms in the oslo hotel at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭squonk

Stevo11 wrote: »
    Yep, have to switch from Newstalk at the Corrib Great Southern hotel roundabout and then back when you get to Bradley's to avoid the mass/mass setup/heavy breathing in the morning.

I thought they tended to move those sorts of priests on after a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

The lads on Off the Ball have got wind of this anyway.

From their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/offtheball):
    "Tonight's chat with Brian O'Driscoll that a pirate radio station broadcasting mass in Galway didn't want you to hear."

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone remember some 24 hour German europop that was re-broadcast in town on Fm in the mid-90s? It lasted almost a year before disappearing. It had very catchy jingles and traffic reports in Frankfurt sounded so exotic at the time..

Is radio pirate woman still broadcasting?

N-Joy radio by any chance? I used to rebroadcast it around the local area here back In the 90's :D

Comreg are very slow in going after any religious pirates, If it was skanger fm, interference or no interference I bet it would be long raided by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

finlma wrote: »
    The lads on Off the Ball have got wind of this anyway.

From their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/offtheball):
    "Tonight's chat with Brian O'Driscoll that a pirate radio station broadcasting mass in Galway didn't want you to hear."

Your welcome! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

pirates list found on website

Radio Galway late 70s two early 80s AM ... above Tigh Coili top floor

Atlantic radio early 80s , Forster Street. FM

WLS Forster Street early 80s move to Prospect Hill
    rename to Coast fm 103 , relayed Satellite radio station, also called Radio Nova, from a studio in the United Kingdom.

County Sound 103FM Prospect Hill
    Emerald fm
    Kfm from Dominick st galway

Radio West broadcast from Mullingar, Co Westmeath.

IRTC act illegal broadcasting with effect from 31 December 1988

quincentenary103 start in 1989 only last 3 - 4 weeks
    1999 unnamed radio rebrodcasting z100WHTZ-FM / WQHT - Hot 97 97.1 FM New York

kiss fm relayed Satellite radio station from njoy fm N-Joy Radio played mainly Euro-dance , analogue satellite now on Astra 1M 19.2°E 12266 H DVB-S 27500 3/4

ENERGY 102/106
    RASCAL (95.0)
    Radio Friendly107
    UCB on 106.5
    Radio Pirate Woman102.4
    Radio West . first legal local radio station in Galway name change two galwaybayfm
    Flirt FM 101.3

St Nicholas’ Collegiate Church had problem like that aswell .....

any want to add two list please do

extraice wrote: »
    pirates list found on website

Radio Galway late 70s two early 80s AM ... above Tigh Coili top floor

Atlantic radio early 80s , Forster Street. FM

WLS Forster Street early 80s move to Prospect Hill
    rename to Coast fm 103 , relayed Satellite radio station, also called Radio Nova, from a studio in the United Kingdom.

County Sound 103FM Prospect Hill
    Emerald fm
    Kfm from Dominick st galway

Radio West broadcast from Mullingar, Co Westmeath.

IRTC act illegal broadcasting with effect from 31 December 1988

quincentenary103 start in 1989 only last 3 - 4 weeks
    1999 unnamed radio rebrodcasting z100WHTZ-FM / WQHT - Hot 97 97.1 FM New York

kiss fm relayed Satellite radio station from njoy fm N-Joy Radio played mainly Euro-dance , analogue satellite now on Astra 1M 19.2°E 12266 H DVB-S 27500 3/4

ENERGY 102/106
    RASCAL (95.0)
    Radio Friendly107
    UCB on 106.5
    Radio Pirate Woman102.4
    Radio West . first legal local radio station in Galway name change two galwaybayfm
    Flirt FM 101.3

St Nicholas’ Collegiate Church had problem like that aswell .....

any want to add two list please do

Renmore Community radio - Late 70's to 80's
    Atlantic Sound - foster street - 80's
    Coast 103 -80's - prior to atlantic sound (most went from coast to sound)
    Atlantic Coast 101.3 (flirt robbed freq now) - lasted a month from a room in imperial hotel, most the djs from the pirates above in it. was in 00's .

kraggy wrote: »
    It's the church broadcasting evening mass for old folk who can't leave the house.

They are permitted to do so.

Hi Kraggy,

After being in touch with BCI (morbid curiousity) and he queryed the database, Renmore church are illegally broadcasting! Pirates get shutdown no problem so same rules apply.

Feel free to contact ComReg to confirm this.

P.S. I didnt report it, couldn't be arsed, but they already knew about it for weeks apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Aiel wrote: »
    Anyone remember a pirate station in the city called Wild West radio?It use to interfere with Today Fm or another station around that frequency.All they use to do was bad mouth GBFM and Clare Fm for the few hours they were on.Another pirate station use to broadcast a few years ago and block out Newstalk aswell,i forget its name.
    A few years ago the speaker systems in my local church use to pick up Taxi frequency's.It was funny to hear the priest say "Lord hear us" and then some other voice come over the speakers saying "what number in Riverside did you say?":).

lucky it wasn't something like "jim, will you take it, she said she doesn't want a black driver"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

I love listening to Newstalks' Off The Ball but every evening around 7:00, a local radio station broadcasting live mass cuts across the Newstalk frequency. Anyone in Renmore notice this too?

Does this happening match the times on the church's website?

http://www.renmoreparish.ie/

Catholic Church of St. Oliver Plunkett, Renmore Ave. Galway, Ireland
    Mass Times:

Saturday Vigil 6:00pm
    Sunday 10:00, 12:00
    (10.00 includes a children’s liturgy)
    Monday-Wednesday 10:00
    Thursday 10:00, 7:30pm
    Friday 10:00, 7:30pm
    Saturday 10:00

(During November and Lent there is also 7.30pm mass Mon-Wed)

What frequency do you receive Newstalk on ( I assume 107.6 from Maghera) ?

What frequency is that church on?

There are phone numbers on the church website I you want to try contact them

BTW
    this thread has been picked up here:)
    http://www.balls.ie/news/catholic-church-sabotaging-off-the-ball-in-galway/

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »
    Does this happening match the times on the church's website?

http://www.renmoreparish.ie/

Catholic Church of St. Oliver Plunkett, Renmore Ave. Galway, Ireland

What frequency do you receive Newstalk on ( I assume 107.6 from Maghera) ?

What frequency is that church on?

There are phone numbers on the church website I you want to try contact them

BTW
    this thread has been picked up here:)
    http://www.balls.ie/news/catholic-church-sabotaging-off-the-ball-in-galway/

On the BCI website it shows they don't hold a valid license , and as on the ComReg site you can only have up to 4watts FM transmitter, basically a car radio FM transmitter without a license, so they are illegal.

its 107.6 both of them, 7pm mass time, i think its prerecorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Someone on Off the Balls' facebook page reckons that it's the Bon Secours hospital radio that's causing the interference!

Are all the religious pirate-radios ganging up on OFB?

This website has been doing its own investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Renmore Community radio - Late 70's to 80's
    Atlantic Sound - foster street - 80's
    Coast 103 -80's - prior to atlantic sound (most went from coast to sound)
    Atlantic Coast 101.3 (flirt robbed freq now) - lasted a month from a room in imperial hotel, most the djs from the pirates above in it. was in 00's .

was chatting one ex djs brodcast from imperial hotel, , he told going dig out the some audio and post up ....

pity galway dosnt have good station , flirt ok ....

extraice wrote: »

was chatting one ex djs brodcast from imperial hotel, , he told going dig out the some audio and post up ....

pity galway dosnt have good station , flirt ok ....

Well I know yorkie is passed on :( , marsh in Spain, ger or Barry Williams is only one in galway best I know.

No offence but flirt is atrocious processing and sound in general...music is alternative but random and not enjoyable but prob my taste.

I think 4.fm has some serious potential. I wanna try applying for a community license in galway non commercial.

Advertisement