Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious Pirate radio station in Renmore

Options
  • 04-02-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I love listening to Newstalks' Off The Ball but every evening around 7:00, a local radio station broadcasting live mass cuts across the Newstalk frequency. Anyone in Renmore notice this too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Is it any good? Is it a long mass? I love a long mass...

I'd report it to Comreg. It's one thing operating a pirate station, but it's a whole different kettle of fish when you're interfering with a licensed broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Are you sure it's no the local church broadcasting mass in Renmore? Where is the church there out of interest or is there one?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Find out where it is being broadcast from, go there, get near a mic and shout 'Burn the bondholders' as loud as you can. You'll be a legend, and it's only a venial sin - if that.

Late one night about 10 years ago I accidentally tuned in to Radio Mater (I'm in Dublin...)

The DJ announced a song especially for everyone in the ICU, then put on 'My Way'.

'And now, the end is near..'

True story, btw.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

It's the church broadcasting evening mass for old folk who can't leave the house.

They are permitted to do so.

• Advertisement

There's something quite funny and humourous about a Religious pirate radio station.

kraggy wrote: »
    It's the church broadcasting evening mass for old folk who can't leave the house.

They are permitted to do so.

But are they permitted to wipe out another licensed station? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Karsini wrote: »

Lighten up, for God's sake:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

God/ Jesus told them to do it...

They don't choose the frequency. That's the BAI's mistake for giving them that frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'd report it to Comreg. It's one thing operating a pirate station, but it's a whole different kettle of fish when you're interfering with a licensed broadcaster.

I'd report it to Newstalk.

It would probably be dealt with quicker if they got on to Comreg then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Esel wrote: »

Late one night about 10 years ago I accidentally tuned in to Radio Mater (I'm in Dublin...)

The DJ announced a song especially for everyone in the ICU, then put on 'My Way'.

'And now, the end is near..'

True story, btw.

I can beat that one!!
    30+ years ago, The night of the Buttavent train crash which killed many people the news started coming through at either 11pm or Midnight. After an extended news bulletin RTE reverted to scheduled programming which was called 'The Night Train' complete with a jingle of a train hooting through a tunnel and a voice shouting 'Welcome To The Night Train!'
    I still cringe anytime I think of it.

Back on topic- Renmore Church got the go ahead to broadcast the mass a few years ago. If the interference is only recent it's possible the signal strength may have been increased by accident. It might be worth your while calling in to them and letting them know.

The interference has been present for a few years. I heard it as long as 4 years ago at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Anyone remember a pirate station in the city called Wild West radio?It use to interfere with Today Fm or another station around that frequency.All they use to do was bad mouth GBFM and Clare Fm for the few hours they were on.Another pirate station use to broadcast a few years ago and block out Newstalk aswell,i forget its name.
    A few years ago the speaker systems in my local church use to pick up Taxi frequency's.It was funny to hear the priest say "Lord hear us" and then some other voice come over the speakers saying "what number in Riverside did you say?":).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

A number of churches around the country broadcast masses over CB radio; I think it's channel 28. It was set up by a company at least 10 years ago. You can pick it up down around Ballyvaughan on a Sunday morning. I haven't heard it around Galway for a while, though.

Aiel wrote: »
    Anyone remember a pirate station in the city called Wild West radio?It use to interfere with Today Fm or another station around that frequency.All they use to do was bad mouth GBFM and Clare Fm for the few hours they were on.Another pirate station use to broadcast a few years ago and block out Newstalk aswell,i forget its name.
    A few years ago the speaker systems in my local church use to pick up Taxi frequency's.It was funny to hear the priest say "Lord hear us" and then some other voice come over the speakers saying "what number in Riverside did you say?":).

I'd say that gave the congregation a lift :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

kraggy wrote: »
    I'd say that gave the congregation a lift :p

That's terrible! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Religious Pirates you say?! :eek:

Pirate-Pope-Benedict-thumb-550x450-52872.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone remember some 24 hour German europop that was re-broadcast in town on Fm in the mid-90s? It lasted almost a year before disappearing. It had very catchy jingles and traffic reports in Frankfurt sounded so exotic at the time..

Is radio pirate woman still broadcasting?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Did they not get shut down by The Man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭squonk

Wouldn't you love to be that priest... 'Dis is a shout out to me crew who is not wit' us today cos dey was out chasin' muff last night. Respec'! Dis is a well bangin' choon... Ave Maria... peace out bitches!'

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone remember some 24 hour German europop that was re-broadcast in town on Fm in the mid-90s? It lasted almost a year before disappearing. It had very catchy jingles and traffic reports in Frankfurt sounded so exotic at the time..

You've jogged my memory now about that euro pop German station,was it something like Sky Radio or something like that?It use to be on late enough at night playing Scooter and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Aiel wrote: »
    Anyone remember a pirate station in the city called Wild West radio?It use to interfere with Today Fm or another station around that frequency.All they use to do was bad mouth GBFM and Clare Fm for the few hours they were on.
    Wild West used to broadcast from a house beside the courthouse. It used to interfere with the Abbey Church down the road in the middle of mass "you're listening to Wild West Radio, oh yes you are..." unce unce unce unce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Instead of Larry's Golden Hour, we now have Fr Michael's Holy Hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

I didn't think any of the religious services were legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

McTigs wrote: »
    Wild West used to broadcast from a house beside the courthouse. It used to interfere with the Abbey Church down the road in the middle of mass "you're listening to Wild West Radio, oh yes you are..." unce unce unce unce
    I have a memory of that being connected to the Treehouse bar/pizza place from about ten years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

dilallio wrote: »
    Instead of Larry's Golden Hour, we now have Fr Michael's Holy Hour.

They always compromise and go with Fr Michael's Golden Shower.

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Lighten up, for God's sake:D

Yes because being told to fear the mighty wrath of god is much more light hearted than Off The Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Esel wrote: »
    Find out where it is being broadcast from, go there, get near a mic and shout 'Burn the bondholders' as loud as you can. You'll be a legend, and it's only a venial sin - if that.

WHERE'S MY ELEPHANT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Yep, have to switch from Newstalk at the Corrib Great Southern hotel roundabout and then back when you get to Bradley's to avoid the mass/mass setup/heavy breathing in the morning.

Advertisement