Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls weekend away... Where?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Planning a much needed girls weekend away and wondering if anyone can suggest/recommend some place.
    30something, single females. Would like to stay some place nice and have a good night out, someplace not full of teeny boppers, some place with similar age group and a good night life, where is good to go?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

kilkenny , galway ? although both are probably hen heavy at this time of year a couple of months before wedding season kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

johnayo wrote: »
    If you are good looking, you could call around to my gaff.:cool::cool::cool:

Gee thanks, but I'm sure we'll manage to figure something out.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

johnayo wrote: »
    If you are good looking, you could call around to my gaff.:cool::cool::cool:

Infracted, comments of this kind are not acceptable in tLL.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

A girl I work with goes to Carrick on Shannon with her friends a lot! They are all in their 30's and it must be good cause they're always going!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Newry. Far enough away for plausible deniability. Good craic too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

The House Hotel in Galway.
    The Latin Quarter on your doorstep.
    Pubs and restaurants galore, and a fab, feminine hotel to stay in.

Ok, Galway has been ruled out. On the door step for some and some place we tend to go to regularly. Want some place new.
    But thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Was in The Strand hotel in limerick recently - fab place.
    The hotel was gorgeous and the staff super friendly.
    The only negative thing was the residents bar must be over the pool cos the smell of chlorine at night was rank but you wouldn't notice it during the day.
    I was there for a small hen party and they couldn't have been more attentive if we'd been their biggest party in for the weekend. They let us decorate the room for the hen to be and gave complimentary passes to pubs n clubs
    Was within walking distance of everywhere and their rate was second to none as well.
    My sister was in the savoy (in limerick) and raved about it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Westport or Galway always great for a good night out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Kenmare and Carlingford are good spots, hen central though

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Sligo and stay in the glass house hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Sligo is a great spot. My friends and I are in the 30/40 age group and we had a great night out there in October, stayed in the Sligo City Hotel.

I'm usually in Westport most weekends and its good for all ages. The atmosphere is always good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hotel Skellig in Dingle?
    In Limerick, it's hard to beat the Savoy for location and shopping!
    What kind of budget for hotel??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kyia

Kilkenny. Was here a few months ago for a 30th, good craic, and going back this weekend for a girls weekend away.

Dublin. The Gibson hotel is fab, right on the Luas line into town. The Beacon hotel fab aswell, out of town but a taxi wouldnt cost much between a few of ye.

Killarney. Love it wish it wasnt so far away from me. Have stayed in the Ross hotel would highly recommend, bar and restaurant food is great too. Or the Fairview hotel its a nice little hotel aswell.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Girls from Kerry, Limerick/Clare and Dublin, so don't want to do any of those places. I know we could do a weekend so much cheaper if we just met up and all stayed over at one house, but want to go someplace new.
    Sligo is beginning to look interesting, and not someplace I think I have ever been out, just need to work out the logistics of that.
    I like Kilkenny, but like someone else said it does tend to be hen party central.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Sligo has train & plane and is about 2.5 hours from Dublin. Good night life and lots of restaurants plus seaweed baths the day after.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

We're going to White's of Wexford next weekend for the second time. Got a great deal for an afternoon in the spa :D It's in the town so there's a variety of restaurants and pubs, you're not confined to the hotel.

CaraMay wrote: »
    Sligo has train & plane and is about 2.5 hours from Dublin. Good night life and lots of restaurants plus seaweed baths the day after.

2.5 hrs from Dublin but probably about 4 from Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭clearodara

Give Athlone a try. Very good night life and town is busy at weekends. You'd be surprised how good it is. Easily over 40 bars ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Galway is the best place i've found for a lovely girly night out, Killarney a close second after that be Cork, Westport, Dublin, Carlow and Kilkenny.

Loads of options of nice hotels in the cities close to the centre. Lots of the hotels in those towns/cities and counties are fab, good choices too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    A girl I work with goes to Carrick on Shannon with her friends a lot! They are all in their 30's and it must be good cause they're always going!:D

carrick on shannon is the BEST place to go for a girls night...if there are enough of ya go in on the hens party package....its 160 each...for that you get accommodation for 2 nights...1 dinner with 2 glasses of wine...cocktail making class...free shannon cruise with a dj with th best music...free entry to the niteclub when uiu get back and a bottle of champagne waiting for ya. we went last year and honestly it was one of the best weekends we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

carrick on shannon is the BEST place to go for a girls night...if there are enough of ya go in on the hens party package....its 160 each...for that you get accommodation for 2 nights...1 dinner with 2 glasses of wine...cocktail making class...free shannon cruise with a dj with th best music...free entry to the niteclub when uiu get back and a bottle of champagne waiting for ya. we went last year and honestly it was one of the best weekends we've had.

Just re the cruise - what time did ye go at? I'm organising a hen with this and can't decide best time to go - have the option of pre dinner (v early I think) , straight away after (an early) dinner, or later in the evening but it means we don't get back into town till nearly 12 - v late I think. Completely sidetracking op I know, hope you don't mind ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Just re the cruise - what time did ye go at? I'm organising a hen with this and can't decide best time to go - have the option of pre dinner (v early I think) , straight away after (an early) dinner, or later in the evening but it means we don't get back into town till nearly 12 - v late I think. Completely sidetracking op I know, hope you don't mind ;-)

I think it was after dinner...I can't remember the times exactly :o but I think there was another crowd going after us so it wasn't that late. its great craic the music is brill and its a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cork!
    Not to be biased as a local, but you can't beat Cork. 5 star hotels, or quirky fun ones in towns and villages in kinsale. Great food in the city, or outside it. Loads to do... Harbour cruise is great, you can see dolphins on it. Easy for everyone to get to. Lots of stuff on.

I haven't seen it all or done everything myself, and I'm a native.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

pwurple wrote: »
    Cork!
    Not to be biased as a local, but you can't beat Cork. 5 star hotels, or quirky fun ones in towns and villages in kinsale. Great food in the city, or outside it. Loads to do... Harbour cruise is great, you can see dolphins on it. Easy for everyone to get to. Lots of stuff on.

I haven't seen it all or done everything myself, and I'm a native.

Kinsale would do the job.
    Food super
    Great pubs and accommodation
    Live music haunts
    Clubs too
    All within a very short walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

If you want somewhere different and fun, try Belmullet!
    A slog to get there but worth it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Kinsale and Clonakilty are good spots. Carrick on Shannon, Kenmare, Killarney...I've had girls weekends/nights out all over Ireland and they've been the best for our late twenties/thirties group.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Carrick on Shannon, Westport, Sligo, Cork, Wexford, Kerry and Kilkenny are some of the places i recommend for weekends away :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bellinter House outside Navan.

Spa, afternoon tea, old Victorian house to stay in, fantastic restaurant.

I love the place, took the OH there for a spa day, relaxed in the library with a few coffees, then we had dinner.

Top of my list for somewhere to spend an overnight, and we live 20 miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

The george hotel in Limerick,
    Or some of the many spots in Killarney.

Advertisement