Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asteroid 2012-DA14 will pass within 17,200 miles of Earth at 18,000mph

Options

Comments

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Not much to get excited about....

aarrghh!!! :( disapointing alright, two talking heads, and taking breaks while they were at it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Not much to get excited about....

That's one bad camera nasa are using, looks like slow motion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

You could download a satellite tracker onto your android phone and it may be a help in locating the ISS which the astroid is suppose to pass by?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

mondeo wrote: »
    You could download a satellite tracker onto your android phone and it may be a help in locating the ISS which the astroid is suppose to pass by?

Tell the lads on the ISS to duck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Taken from NASA's web site.

241234.jpg

.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Tell the lads on the ISS to duck.

Seen the ISS for the first time tonight, full 3 minutes of it, what a sight!!

Not a chance here in Louth for the DA14 .... clouds all over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Reports from SW Cork @ 7.30ish PM. Why are people still waiting in Swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Zico

I didn't see a damned thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Raining in Limerick:(

Meteor shower? :) bit late, I'll get my coat
    CrinkElite wrote: »
    Taken from NASA's web site.

241234.jpg

.:eek:

Lol big arrow towards Sun :)
    Hey lighten up, were all ok, right? its out by 00:00 Feb 16 :)

Unless It's coming around for another pass, is it? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Merch wrote: »
    Unless It's coming around for another pass, is it? :eek:

Just once i think, its orbit is probably gigantic.

• Advertisement

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Just once i think, its orbit is probably gigantic.

I was kinda kidding, but still keeping my fingers crossed so as not to tempt fate in case some other following asteroid doesnt strike!

In seriousness, I heard on the news (so I place little faith in it) that the meteor that struck Russia was an unconnected event, but really isn't it likely the mass of that asteroid and its gravity was towing along other debris probably orbiting the asteroid and that in fact they are very likely to be connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I was kinda kidding, but still keeping my fingers crossed so as not to tempt fate in case some other following asteroid doesnt strike!

In seriousness, I heard on the news (so I place little faith in it) that the meteor that struck Russia was an unconnected event, but really isn't it likely the mass of that asteroid and its gravity was towing along other debris probably orbiting the asteroid and that in fact they are very likely to be connected?

The two objects had completely different trajectories. They weren't connected.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The two objects had completely different trajectories. They weren't connected.

Do you have some information showing this? out of interest.
    I thought there could have been some possibility they have some connection.
    its a hell of a coincidence otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

322d719e6c0985306f3797d643c37c6d.jpeg

Thanks, where did you get that information?
    I wonder what would the result have been if we were hit with the asteroid instead of the comet? or if it hit the moon? shtf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

So where's 2012 DA14 heading? Any chance it will collide with the sun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

It's the cosmic equivalent of a bully shaking one fist at you menacingly and then slapping you with the other hand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

newmug wrote: »
    So where's 2012 DA14 heading? Any chance it will collide with the sun?
    no more than any other asteriod - so no chance unless it's orbit is perturbed by passing very near a large planet (larger / closer than us )

AFAIK it will swing by again but nowhere near as close

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Our planet changed it's orbit. DA14 orbits around every 368 days or so. It's close encounter to us has added about 3-4 months to it's orbit and put it in a slightly safer orbit. Chances are it will never get this close to us again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

At the risk of repeating a cliche, it really puts into perspective how fragile life on earth is.
    At least from what i gather from listening to some experts: something this size (or in this ballpark), if it hit, could have had serious knock-on effects (changes to the atmosphere etc). Is this correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

At the risk of repeating a cliche, it really puts into perspective how fragile life on earth is.
    At least from what i gather from listening to some experts: something this size (or in this ballpark), if it hit, could have had serious knock-on effects (changes to the atmosphere etc). Is this correct.

Yep.
    Ask the Dinosaurs.

This asteroid was a city killer, nothing like big enough to kill life on earth.
    But a bad day to be in that city that it hit.

TheUsual wrote: »
    Yep.
    Ask the Dinosaurs.

This asteroid was a city killer, nothing like big enough to kill life on earth.
    But a bad day to be in that city that it hit.

Unless it hit a stretch of open water and created a wave? city killer might have been cities?? or is that too Hollywood?
    (maybe thats dependant on its composition, velocity surely would have been high enough?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Unless it hit a stretch of open water and created a wave? city killer might have been cities?? or is that too Hollywood?
    (maybe thats dependant on its composition, velocity surely would have been high enough?)

No the asteroid missed us.
    The meteor that hit was not big enough to do huge damage, although I'm sure the 1,400 people injured by it would disagree with me !

TheUsual wrote: »
    No the asteroid missed us.
    The meteor that hit was not big enough to do huge damage, although I'm sure the 1,400 people injured by it would disagree with me !

I was following in from post 51/52,
    I meant if the asteroid hit a body of water, I know its passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Out of curiosity, how close would an asteriod have to come to Earth in order to be sucked into its orbit?

TaosHum wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how close would an asteriod have to come to Earth in order to be sucked into its orbit?

I believe that would be gravitational attraction and drag, rather than sucked.

How close might depend on the velocity of the object, whether it can maintain enough velocity to escape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

What was the real size of the meteor that impacted in russia?

I have heard lots of conflicting reports on its size, going from 2m as above to 17m as in wikipedia below?

800px-Chelyabinsk_meteor_size_comparison.svg.png

There is a huge difference between the two sizes, a 17m diameter meteor would be about 500 times heavier than a 2m one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Right - I'm no expert, but (unless I'm incorrect) it appears that the DA14 asteroid, has an orbit that generally is very similar to that of earths, both in terms of distance from the sun and the orbital period. I got that info from wikipedia so correct me if I'm wrong.

So, first of all, despite what people say about the difficulty spotting something like this in the vastness of space. It appears to me that this one wasn't just in our backyard, or even on the back porch, it was pretty much on the armrest of the couch in our living room. How was it not spotted before 2012? It must have been there for as long as we have been developing the technology to explore and view space.

We are sending probes to explore the outer reaches of the solar system and beyond - which I am delighted with - but this rock, couldn't have possibly come any closer to an impact and potentially killing millions of people and we didn't even know it was there until last year.

Secondly - how many more similar objects are there in the immediate vicinity of the Earth?

Thirdly - what are its origins (their origins) given the proximity to Earth and the similar orbital pattern, it is possible it was connected to the Earth or the formation of the moon, etc.

Fourthly - why are we not sending probes to such objects given they are literally a stones throw from us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

I took a photo of an object moving across the sky at 7:26PM on the 15th. Would anyone know if this was the asteroid or something else? It was the brightest star in the sky at the time. Here is a zoomed in picture of 4 pictures together:

C87DDF7843E5483984B59C036FFD7866-0000345076-0003166504-00758L-8133E7D9AB704EE1A6CDCEBF45DD9379.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That asteroid is a nice kick in the arse for numerous countries.

Might divert a bit of extra funding towards each countries space authorities, even if nothing has really changed.

Advertisement