Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asteroid 2012-DA14 will pass within 17,200 miles of Earth at 18,000mph

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nice, how visible will this be I wonder?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not very

guessing it won't be as bright as the ISS and nearly 100 times further away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

transporting them back into Earth's orbit to harvest precious metals and liquids

And just say that goes a bit wrong? Then what?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

9:30 - 10 pm looking at it
    crossing the tail of the great bear

check on sky at night website

will need small telescope with low power eyepiece

transporting them back into Earth's orbit to harvest precious metals and liquids
    And just say that goes a bit wrong? Then what?
    you'd have to nudge it a bit

probably need aerobraking to slow it enough to enter an earth orbit

better off finding an ice asteroid and using the ice as fuel to sent it back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

you'd have to nudge it a bit

probably need aerobraking to slow it enough to enter an earth orbit

better off finding an ice asteroid and using the ice as fuel to sent it back

Yeah maybe, but to me it just has potential catastrophe written all over it, I'm sure it would be grand and all but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Because it's such a close flyby, you'll need a sky map tailored to your location.

Register your location on http://www.heavens-above.com/ and they will give you a chart showing the path of 2012-DA14 on the evening of Feb 15th. Make sure your time zone is set to GMT+0 UK/Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 kepler22

their no point in worrying because they cant do jack **** anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

kepler22 wrote: »
    their no point in worrying because they cant do jack **** anyway.

I've heard they have a plan to launch a salvo of Titan ICBM's straight up at a rough intercept course. Makes you wonder how many times throughout history the Earth has had a close call and humans were oblivious to the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

this tonight guys? its looking good for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Would most of it not burn up before it hit if it is only that size?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

and its full cloud cover crap seeing conditions, low transparency, and high humidity here in Galway(Im genuinely shocked! :pac:) not a chance I would be able to track it anyway! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Hi guys.

I'd quite like to see this but I have no binoculars or telescope near me this evening. Would it even be visible as a faint spec to the naked eye?

I have a custom star chart so I know where to look in the sky. Even a clueless, "toolless," stargazer like myself will be able to find Ursa Major and it appears to pass through it at 21.30ish.

heres a link to the asteroid flyby

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

where and when should i be looking for this thing to pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Heavens above is very slow, i presume due to the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The One Show on BBC1 are doing a bit with NASA later when it passes, and info bits during the show.
    Its on now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I heard it was to pass Ireland from the west to the east (or is it from the east to the west ?) at 7:24pm in a few ? is this correct as i have a night-vision scope and video camera ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

The One Show on BBC1 are doing a bit with NASA later when it passes, and info bits during the show.
    Its on now....

my tv is broken :( what time should i look into the sky and what way will it travel?

what location should i be looking ? has anyone the exact location of this pass ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

EireIceMan wrote: »
    Heavens above is very slow, i presume due to the traffic

hvnsabv_zps1e4523e5.jpg

:(:(

Never mind, it's going cloudy now, typical. maybe next time.

Its on now....

They gave out the wrong info at the start or ran out of time or something, bit anoyed now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Jake1 wrote: »
    heres a link to the asteroid flyby

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2
    Seems to be tracking it now. Cloudy here as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Had a quick look but didn't see DA14 - all the light pollution from Dublin city doesn't help. Did have a good view of the ISS and a satellite passing over from SE to NW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Raining in Limerick:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Its on now....

Go to http://thejournal.ie . Live coverage from NASA.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

BBCnews 24 just showed footage and announced it has passed us safely.

• Advertisement

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Not much to get excited about....

Advertisement