Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus website default is Great Britain

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

keith16 wrote: »
    How an organisation can run a complex airline and can't even provide a functioning website is beyond me. Even their app is DREADFUL. For a company who relies on web traffic so much, it's baffling.

You could ask KLM or Alitalia the same thing :P

Stinicker wrote: »
    This is not a fault of either Ryanair or Aer Lingus's website but of the browser as munchkin_utd said.

in Firefox go, Firefox>Options>Content>Languages and then make sure it is set to English/Ireland and remove any other languages leaving on English/Ireland as the selected choice.

in Internet Explorer go, tools (cogwheel symbol)>internet options>General>Languages and make sure it is set to English Ireland also.

in Chrome English Irish is not available as a Language option so these website will always default to the UK. Best use Firefox or Internet Explorer.
    IE takes its initial settings from the Windows regional settings but even if you change these later, IE still sticks with whatever they were previously. Firefox defaults to the region based on the language of the browser (whether it's en-GB or en-US) so you have to manually add en-IE.

I work in IT and the amount of end users with UK regional settings is crazy. I also see a fair few with US regional settings. I'd say they just click through the initial Windows OOBE install without looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

HOW should it know?

Have you checked the locale on your system?
    Have you checked the default language on your system?
    Have you checked the language and location settings on your browser?

If you have Ireland/ Irish English set for all those above then fair enough.
    If you have set UK or UK English for ANY of those settings then you have created settings that Aer Lingus is intrepreting (rightly) to indicate you are interested in flights departing from the UK.
    Many dont see the difference between English-Ireland and English-UK but its a gigantic difference, not lingustically but the effects it creates down the line.

BTW, if you want to surf without creating a trail of cookies then use chrome and open a window in stealth, ignognito mode and that does the trick without needing to be deleting cookies daily.

One of the replies mentioned that it's a chrome thing as there is no default English Irish setting in the language spell check setting - other than that everything else is ireland and euro on my pc and ie works fine as I just checked - so problem solved kinda
    Just a little annoyance in the greater scheme of things really and as it's because of my browser then so be it will just have to manually switch every time.

The cookie thing is just me being a bit ocd to keep things tidy but thanks anyhow.

btw ryanair.ie works fine on google chrome so there must be a way around it for the companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Checked and looks like I had language set to en-uk, so I've added en-ie now.

FWIW, aerlingus.com still redirects to the US site for me, but you can just change location at the top of the page and now every time it comes up as Irish site since that's what I picked. Ryanair.com correctly redirects to Irish site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Mine takes me to the chill the f*ck our website site

I suggest you try that option.

• Advertisement

Gatica wrote: »
    Checked and looks like I had language set to en-uk, so I've added en-ie now.

FWIW, aerlingus.com still redirects to the US site for me, but you can just change location at the top of the page and now every time it comes up as Irish site since that's what I picked. Ryanair.com correctly redirects to Irish site.

When you change the region, aerlingus.com still reads the old one from its cookies unless you manually change it or clear your cookies for their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

I just want them to allow me to have a default setting where I can view the entire site in Irish, seeing as it's my language.

I wouldn't expect Ryanair to do this, but I do expect Aer Lingus to do it.

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    I just want them to allow me to have a default setting where I can view the entire site in Irish, seeing as it's my language.

I wouldn't expect Ryanair to do this, but I do expect Aer Lingus to do it.

If you're using Firefox, choose Irish (ga) as the default. It should work but I haven't tried it.

Karsini wrote: »
    If you're using Firefox, choose Irish (ga) as the default. It should work but I haven't tried it.

Unfortunately that doesn't work on Firefox, neither does it work on Chrome, which is my usual browser. While Aer Lingus does allow you to view the page in many languages by choosing the options on the top centre of the page, if you click your destination as 'Ireland' you can only choose English as your language.

I did note, too, that when I switched to Firefox the Aer Lingus website assumed I was in the UK when I arrived there.

• Advertisement

Just to add to this, even though I'm writing from Ireland when I booked an Aer Lingus flight from Sweden a moment ago, the Aer Lingus website gave me all the prices throughout the booking in SEK rather than in Euro. I checked to ensure my country was marked as Ireland but this did not alter things.

Aer Lingus needs to smarten up the website's ability to identify its customers origin, their currency and, yes (to add to my above point), their preferred language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Just to add to this, even though I'm writing from Ireland when I booked an Aer Lingus flight from Sweden a moment ago, the Aer Lingus website gave me all the prices throughout the booking in SEK rather than in Euro. I checked to ensure my country was marked as Ireland but this did not alter things.

Aer Lingus needs to smarten up the website's ability to identify its customers origin, their currency and, yes (to add to my above point), their preferred language.
    thats another issue, and can be a pain if looking to book a one way flight from a non eurozone country and looking to use a Euro denominated gift voucher on it.

Advertisement