Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't bother with a CV, let St. Anthony do the job hunting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

lazygal wrote: »
    That'd be the child of Prague, giving Irish brides false hope for generations. My mum put hers out before my non church wedding. Didn't bring the sun out, but at least it didn't rain.

That's the one! Maybe it only works for church weddings ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Wibbly Wobbly Wonder

Jason1984 wrote: »

I point out to her that it was in fact me who went to the job interviews and I didn't see this Saint there, in fact he didn't even give me any interview tips beforehand! So, if there is a monetary reward on offer for a successful job hunt then perhaps I should get this tenner. Suffice to say, it led to a small argument, I didn't get a tenner and she still believes imaginary Saint's are better at getting results than her son.

Has anyone else come across this kind of thinking before in relation to job hunting, getting things done etc? I find it insulting to have real human efforts ignored and attributed to 'Saints' and 'God' , I mean if he did exist, why help me and not the countless thousands who must be praying!

Glad to hear you put your money where your mouth was. Too many don't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

bluewolf wrote: »
    The first thing I was told by my grandmother on passing some exams was "that's because I prayed for you"
    No granny it was the studying and hard work actually
    I'll stop studying and just go to mass will I

My granny too! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Reminds me also, when I was younger, my nan used to put a statue of some saint (can't remember who) outside the back door the night before a wedding in the family. This particular saint was apparently known for creating sunny weather, despite a success rate of about 2% she still does it. Again, another oddity from my point of view.
    That'd be the Child of Prague.

'grats on the job, hope it goes well for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

St. Anthony find any lost virginities lately? ;)

• Advertisement

Reminds me also, when I was younger, my nan used to put a statue of some saint (can't remember who) outside the back door the night before a wedding in the family. This particular saint was apparently known for creating sunny weather, despite a success rate of about 2% she still does it. Again, another oddity from my point of view.

Doesn't work as well unless the head has been broken off it and glued back on at some stage apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Doesn't work as well unless the head has been broken off it and glued back on at some stage apparently

If I were a betting man I'd wager this superstition arose from a healthy mix of accident, correlation and maybe a dash of confirmation bias.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If I were a betting man I'd wager this superstition arose from a healthy mix of accident, correlation and maybe a dash of confirmation bias.

Maybe the head was to be left off, I can't remember

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, no, no, you have it the wrong way around. All Infants of Prague have had their heads kicked off by disappointed brides who find it raining on the morning of their wedding. That's why they all have repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

mdbXLhu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If someone said "oh I'll say a prayer for you" then well, ok, no harm done, but someone telling you "that was because I prayed", eh, no. Can you blame people who dont pray if you dont get a job or pass an exam? hell no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Congratulations on the job!

tbh, I'd just be happy that it wasn't St Jude (lost causes) she was praying to!

Flier wrote: »
    Congratulations on the job!

tbh, I'd just be happy that it wasn't St Jude (lost causes) she was praying to!

ha, brilliant! :)

My research suggests the Saint with the correct patronage for my situation is actually Cajtan:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Cajetan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ha, brilliant! :)

My research suggests the Saint with the correct patronage for my situation is actually Cajtan:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Cajetan

WHO???

*must phone Mother to inform her she has been praying to the wrong saint to get nephew a job....* :D

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    WHO???

*must phone Mother to inform her she has been praying to the wrong saint to get nephew a job....* :D

"The Church of San Cayetano in Buenos Aires.........is visited by millions of devotees asking for his intercession in obtaining gainful employment."

Looks like the competition is tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Catholicism really can't claim to be a monotheistic religion.

My Nan used to think she had an angel of parking spaces.

It makes you wonder what it spent it's time doing for the eons before cars were invented.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Gbear wrote: »
    Catholicism really can't claim to be a monotheistic religion.

My Nan used to think she had an angel of parking spaces.

It makes you wonder what it spent it's time doing for the eons before cars were invented.

Cart parking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I love the way the CC allows people to basically pick their favourite cause and pray to any particular saint out of a multitude of them. No worshiping false idols there at all, no no - they're saints I tell you. It's fine, worship away......we're not at all like a polytheistic religion. :pac:

Roman God of Lost things = Nataero

Advertisement