Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How articulate are you?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49

I'm making a conscious effort to become more eloquent. Hearing someone speak with good grammar, concisely and expressively and with nice pauses instead of filler words such as ummm, uhh, ya know is a melody to behold. Contrast that with say Bertie Ahern who literally gives me a headache to listen to.

I think the goal should be to speak concisely as possible while expressing your thoughts as accurately as possible.

I realised recently I've a terrible habit of saying "get here" instead of arrive for example. I think arrive sounds so much better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I does be getin by on me luks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Depends if I'm hooked to a trailer or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

You say you're trying to become more; eloquent, articulate, concise and expressive.

Ironically enough, they are all different things

Edit: Not having a pop, just that you should probably focus on one at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I can do a pretty good job of bending in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Concise I am not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wibbs wrote: »
    Concise I am not.

Must be the shortest post you've ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Extremely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Contrast that with say Bertie Ahern who literally gives me a headache to listen to.

I think the goal should be to speak concisely as possible while expressing your thoughts as accurately as possible.

"If you stop waffling we might get some work done. You're a waffler! You've been years around here, waffling."

- Bertie Ahern to Gay Mitchell c. 1994

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Concise I am not.
    tell me about it;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

dub_skav wrote: »
    You say you're trying to become more; eloquent, articulate, concise and expressive.

I would consider them very interlinked.

Some dictionary definitions of articulate:
    • Endowed with the power of speech.
    • Expressing oneself easily in clear and effective language: an articulate speaker.
    • Characterized by the use of clear, expressive language: an articulate essay.

Being concise and expressive are quite related to being articulate.

Being eloquent isn't a huge stretch from these basics, just need to take into account things like your style, substance of your words, persuasiveness, e.t.c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I'm making a conscious effort to become more eloquent. Hearing someone speak with good grammar, concisely and expressively and with nice pauses instead of filler words such as ummm, uhh, ya know is a melody to behold. Contrast that with say Bertie Ahern who literally gives me a headache to listen to.

I realised recently I've a terrible habit of saying "get here" instead of arrive for example. I think arrive sounds so much better.

Are you asking for this to be corrected?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have mastered them all, me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Username567

When I say concise I mean say something in 5 words rather than ten words if the same information is communicated. When I say be articulate I mean have an arsenal of vocabulary at your disposal should it be needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Username567

Are you asking for this to be corrected?
    I'd prefer you didn't embarrass me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I'm making a conscious effort to become more eloquent.

Please learn to learn to speak in the manner of people the from the D4 area. Put on a fake accent, some fake tan and use fashionable acronyms as often as possible.

Move to Dublin and secure a job in RTE.

I would consider them very interlinked.

Some dictionary definitions of articulate:
    • Endowed with the power of speech.
    • Expressing oneself easily in clear and effective language: an articulate speaker.
    • Characterized by the use of clear, expressive language: an articulate essay.

Being concise and expressive are quite related to being articulate.

Being eloquent isn't a huge stretch from these basics, just need to take into account things like your style, substance of your words, persuasiveness, e.t.c.

I would consider them all to be different, though often a person who is strong at one will also be strong at the others.
    For me at least:
    Someone who is eloquent has an ability to use bright and engaging language, possibly even prosaic
    Someone who is articulate has a very broad vocabulary and can express themselves clearly
    Concise is obviously short and to the point
    Expressive means that you have a variety of adjectives and adverbs at hand to describe things nicely.

There is indeed room for overlap, but being one of the 4 certainly does not have to mean you are master of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"Arrive":rolleyes:

"I shall attain to be present at the required location before the hour of eight, half past", my good Sir.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

elocute*

lesson one

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

When I say concise I mean say something in 5 words rather than ten words if the same information is communicated. When I say be articulate I mean have an arsenal of vocabulary at your disposal should it be needed.

This is indeed a fine art. Many people fail to interpret and simplify long texts. This is what I call 'college boy syndrome'. Learning is one thing, understanding is so much more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Someone who is eloquent has an ability to use bright and engaging language, possibly even prosaic
    Prosaic is the opposite of bright and engaging.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Prosaic is the opposite of bright and engaging.

How embarrassing, it seems I have spent my life thinking that meant the opposite of what it does.
    Turns out I meant poetic, the ironing is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

elocute*

lesson one

:cool:

:confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lamarr: “My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.”

Taggart: “Gal-darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a 20-dollar whore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

in the prosaic context: artist manquée peut etre
    As a little boy, I did own a toy articulated lorry, which tipped the loader, (it was battery power. don't know if that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Madam_X wrote: »
    No, eloquent is correct; elocute very much isn't.

I think they were joking.

As for me, I'm really really really really really articulate. So I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

It might help you to become more eloquent if you had an example to emulate:
    • Tune in to Dail Report, listen and learn as our TDs display their finely-honed speaking skills;
    • Any sports show will contain an interview with an emmensely-talented sportsman (or manager) who really should stick to the day job and avoid public speaking;
    • Our highly-trained TV meteorologists....who missed their elocution classes;
    • Or the unfortunate Gortha sorjint being asked to say a few words to camera about dee yincidint.
    Failing these suggestions, maybe the BBC could assist....but you run the risk of acquiring that whiney, strangled vowel accent.

No, let's face it, eloquence is soooooo loike dead. Go with the flow an don't be on yur tobler; be like evry other 0 - 30 year-old and loike learn Jedwardese loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

Concise I am not.

I share this problem..... *struggles not to write an essay on the topic*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I would consider them all to be different, though often a person who is strong at one will also be strong at the others.
    For me at least:
    Someone who is articulate has a very broad vocabulary and can express themselves clearly
    Concise is obviously short and to the point
    Expressive means that you have a variety of adjectives and adverbs at hand to describe things nicely.

There is indeed room for overlap, but being one of the 4 certainly does not have to mean you are master of all.

I don't see a huge difference between how you described articulate and expressive.

You don't need to be concise to be articulate or eloquent, but it does help to have a clear concise message.

It would be hard to be considered eloquent while at the same time not being articulate and expressive.

I would find it unusual to focus on one area, when improvements in one will often help the other greatly. They are all building blocks of a good communicator.

Advertisement