Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Dependant" mature student with a child. Chances of getting a grant?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    If it's assessed on my parents income I won't get it. I won't be able to afford rent, food, car costs, bills, loan repayments, childcare costs, college costs and registration with my weekly 117 euro lone parents payment.
    The system makes it impossible to improve yourself. :(

I get you but the fact there was a change of circumstances in your parents income should count in your favour

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I get you but the fact there was a change of circumstances in your parents income should count in your favour

Only if neither of my parent gets a job before the grant is processed though. I won't hope for that either because that's a massive problem for the whole family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Only if neither of my parent gets a job before the grant is processed though. I won't hope for that either because that's a massive problem for the whole family.

The grant is assessed on 2012 which is already over and there hasn't been a change in circumstance, positive changes in circumstance are not taken into account anyway.

Ah - in that case you might be able to claim change of circumstances because he lost his job and his income is decreased. This could mean that they would take his reduced income and assess your application based on that - so in a way that could be beneficial!!!!

Also - the grant threshold for fees only - no maintenance is 51,000 for 2012/2013 - this reduces by 3% so it will be roughly 50k

If this is the case your dads income from employment is discounted and his social welfare is annualised ie. your dads income for 2012 is taken as if he had been on social welfare at his current rate for the entire year. How much of a difference does that make?

mackg wrote: »
    The grant is assessed on 2012 which is already over and there hasn't been a change in circumstance, positive changes in circumstance are not taken into account anyway.

Dad only lost his job in October so based on 2012 I won't get it.

• Advertisement

mackg wrote: »

There was a change in circumstances -

Ms Pinguis father lost his job

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

In that case you can be assessed on 2013 with 2013's income assessed the same way I have outlined above.

That is still a change of circumstances

Terry Pratchet

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Exactly

In that case there is no way to avoid being assessed as a dependent student unfortunately.

There was a change in circumstances -

Ms Pinguis father lost his job

EDIT: This got very confusing for a second but I have it now. When I said there wasn't a change of circumstance a meant a further one in response to Ms Pingui's question about if her father got another job, I should have made that clearer, my apologies.

Ms Pingui as it stands your fathers income for 2012 will be taken as if he was on his current rate of social welfare for the whole year. That's with the original change in circumstances taken into account. He didn't get a job again in 2012 so if he gets one now is irrelevant to your application.

• Advertisement

That is still a change of circumstances

If he gets a job soon it won't matter though, will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Snowshower

Most of the staff in Citizen Info offices work voluntary - be careful with the info they give out - as a previous member said its not always the correct one. Go to the Social Welfare office and make an appointment. !!! best of luck. (got info myself before from them which was incorrect).

margal wrote: »
    Most of the staff in Citizen Info offices work voluntary - be careful with the info they give out - as a previous member said its not always the correct one. Go to the Social Welfare office and make an appointment. !!! best of luck. (got info myself before from them which was incorrect).

I'll do that so.
    It looks like I'll have to move out of home before September and get rent allowance so I'll be seen as an "Independent" and reapply next year. What a stupid and frustrating waste of time when I'm already paying my own way but just living at home.

My father has now after getting work on a six month contract. He has been unemployed since late 2012 and will be out of work again by October this year.
    Would I get a grant because of this??
    So frustated trying to sort all this out! :(

Advertisement