Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Dependant" mature student with a child. Chances of getting a grant?

Options
  • 30-01-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I'll be going back to college in September as a mature student. I'm 23 and a lone parent. I receive 200 euro per week lone parents allowance.

The thing is though that myself and my daughter currently live with my parents so their income will be taken into account. My mother is unemployed as is my dad although he is close to getting a new job

Although I live at home, I don't receive monetary support from my parents. I pay towards the household and food etc. as well as looking after my daughter from my allowance.

I will need to move out of home with my little one to go to college. If I don't get the grant, I won't be going to college... simple as!

What is the likelihood of me getting the grant?

Also does anyone know when I can apply for the grant?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    I'll be going back to college in September as a mature student. I'm 23 and a lone parent. I receive 200 euro per week lone parents allowance.

The thing is though that myself and my daughter currently live with my parents so their income will be taken into account. My mother is unemployed as is my dad although he is close to getting a new job

Although I live at home, I don't receive monetary support from my parents. I pay towards the household and food etc. as well as looking after my daughter from my allowance.

I will need to move out of home with my little one to go to college. If I don't get the grant, I won't be going to college... simple as!

What is the likelihood of me getting the grant?

Also does anyone know when I can apply for the grant?

Thanks!

They count the income of you, plus your parents for the year ending December 2012. If you can work out roughly what that is then you might be able to work out if you are eligible

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

They count the income of you, plus your parents for the year ending December 2012. If you can work out roughly what that is then you might be able to work out if you are eligible

Parents income from last year was 49k , so I think that's over the threshold. My one parent family payment isn't counted at all.
    I was just wondering if having a dependent myself would make any difference?

Parents income from last year was 49k , so I think that's over the threshold. My one parent family payment isn't counted at all.
    I was just wondering if having a dependent myself would make any difference?

What is that income

If it includes any of the following they are not counted;

• Child Benefit,
    • Family Income Supplement,
    • Disability Allowance (where paid to the applicant),
    • Blind Pension (where paid to the applicant),
    • One Parent Family Payments (Means Tested) (where paid to the applicant),
    • Guardian’s Payment,
    • Foster Care Allowance,
    • Domiciliary Care Allowance,
    • Carer’s Allowance,
    • Student Assistance Fund,
    • Student grant,
    • Compensation for a personal injury

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What is that income

If it includes any of the following they are not counted;

• Child Benefit,
    • Family Income Supplement,
    • Disability Allowance (where paid to the applicant),
    • Blind Pension (where paid to the applicant),
    • One Parent Family Payments (Means Tested) (where paid to the applicant),
    • Guardian’s Payment,
    • Foster Care Allowance,
    • Domiciliary Care Allowance,
    • Carer’s Allowance,
    • Student Assistance Fund,
    • Student grant,
    • Compensation for a personal injury

It was the money my father earned before he lost his job.

It was the money my father earned before he lost his job.

Ah - in that case you might be able to claim change of circumstances because he lost his job and his income is decreased. This could mean that they would take his reduced income and assess your application based on that - so in a way that could be beneficial!!!!

Also - the grant threshold for fees only - no maintenance is 51,000 for 2012/2013 - this reduces by 3% so it will be roughly 50k

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

When did the concept of dependent mature applicant arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

ninty9er wrote: »
    When did the concept of dependent mature applicant arrive?

Its always been there. Anyone who lives with parents or guardians, irregardless of age, is assessed on their parents/ guardians income as well as their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Its always been there. Anyone who lives with parents or guardians, irregardless of age, is assessed on their parents/ guardians income as well as their own.

It's ridiculous really because social welfare doesn't take your parents income into account for a means tested payment once you're over 25.

Don't see how there can be totally separate rules for both

I went to citizens info. and it turns out that I'll only be assessed on my own income as I am a single mother. Myself and my daughter will be seen as a separate family unit so panic over! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Oh I so hope this is true, I'm in same boat too. Going to college in sept and have 3 year old. It's tough going as I've been doing course for last two years. God I should of apply for this year but I get vtos so it's great help

• Advertisement

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Oh I so hope this is true, I'm in same boat too. Going to college in sept and have 3 year old. It's tough going as I've been doing course for last two years. God I should of apply for this year but I get vtos so it's great help

Yes it's true! I even went back to citizen's info a second time to confirm it when I couldn't find anything about it on the internet.
    It will be my first time away at college since I had my daughter so this grant will be a massive help to me. Good luck with your studies! :)

Have you applied for the crèche in college. I'm going to Tallaght n you have to put name down in advance. It's subsided so only €20 a week which will be a great help to me as crèche she's in will want €145 a week in Sept

Have you applied for the crèche in college. I'm going to Tallaght n you have to put name down in advance. It's subsided so only €20 a week which will be a great help to me as crèche she's in will want €145 a week in Sept

I'll be going to W.I.T (fingers crossed) and unfortunately they don't have creche. I might qualify for the C.C.S programme, which is basically a subsided community creche. I'm looking into that at the moment. Hopefully it will work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I went to citizens info. and it turns out that I'll only be assessed on my own income as I am a single mother. Myself and my daughter will be seen as a separate family unit so panic over! :)

To be seen as independent of your parents you need to be able to prove independent residence, if you've been living at home I don't see how you are going to be able to do that.
    (3) In this scheme an “independent student” means a mature student who did
    not ordinarily reside with his or her parents, or either of them, from 1 October
    of the year before the first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate
    course or an approved higher education course or re-entry to an approved
    course.

If I were you I'd check with susi. Sounds to me like they think your daughter is the one going to college

mackg wrote: »
    To be seen as independent of your parents you need to be able to prove independent residence, if you've been living at home I don't see how you are going to be able to do that.

If I were you I'd check with susi. Sounds to me like they think your daughter is the one going to college

All checked. I went in personally with my 2 year old in her buggy. I'm definitely not old enough to have a kid of college going age!
    You are assessed as a family in your own right. It's like if you a single parent on welfare you will get a medical card even if you are living with rich parents. Just the way it is apparently.

I no in the cao we were classed as a two family household. So it's prob the same here. I'll be going to college anyways as only 2 years left till I get my degree and nothing stopping me getting that :) just have to borrow money if I don't get grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Unfortunately, the information the citizens information office has supplied is not accurate.

You will not be classified as and Independent student if you are living in your parents home under any circumstances.

Unfortunately, the information the citizens information office has supplied is not accurate.

You will not be classified as and Independent student if you are living in your parents home under any circumstances.

If I was to move out of my house today would I be classed as a independent student and my income be used or would it still go on my parents income

If I was to move out of my house today would I be classed as a independent student and my income be used or would it still go on my parents income

You have to be out of it since last October.

I was in my parents house for a couple of weeks last January in between leases having lived away for years and I am being classed as dependant on them, though I got an email to say I am at the provisionally awarded stage so maybe someone has seen common sense.

Not counting on it though.

Are you continuing on the same course? I'm not talking about doing an add on either. Are you say going into the 3rd year of a level 7 or 8 having entered the courses at that level?

• Advertisement

I'm doing a accounts technician course and will have advance entry into 3rd year of a level 8 course

Sorry now but I want to make sure I have this right. You're doing an accounts technician course which is not level 8 but when you have finished it you will be eligible to enter into the third year of a level 8 course? Is that right?

mackg wrote: »
    Sorry now but I want to make sure I have this right. You're doing an accounts technician course which is not level 8 but when you have finished it you will be eligible to enter into the third year of a level 8 course? Is that right?
    Exactly

So I went in twice and spoke to two different people from citizens info. and they both gave me the same wrong information??? I really questioned it and they reassured me that this was the case?

So I went in twice and spoke to two different people from citizens info. and they both gave me wrong information??? I really questioned it and they reassured me that this was the case?

A lot of those working in citizens advice haven't got a clue.

I got wrong information in there a couple of times before

Henlars67 wrote: »
    A lot of those working in citizens advice haven't got a clue.

I got wrong information in there a couple of times before

Ok, looks like I won't be going to college so. Can't wait to spend the rest of my life on welfare, it will be a blast.

Ok, looks like I won't be going to college so. Can't wait to spend the rest of my life on welfare, it will be a blast.

The grant has not been ruled out yet

Terry Pratchet

It's frustrating for me as I live at home rather then claim rent allowance saving the state 750 each month but they won't help me with grant. Whereas if I got rent allowance they would have to pay €11,500 a year for me on rent allowance and grant.

The grant has not been ruled out yet

If it's assessed on my parents income I won't get it. I won't be able to afford rent, food, car costs, bills, loan repayments, childcare costs, college costs and registration with my weekly 117 euro lone parents payment.
    The system makes it impossible to improve yourself. :(

• Advertisement

It's frustrating for me as I live at home rather then claim rent allowance saving the state 750 each month but they won't help me with grant. Whereas if I got rent allowance they would have to pay €11,500 a year for me on rent allowance and grant.

Completely agree! It's mad isn't it?
    I'm going to ring up a different citizens info. office in the morning and see do I get the same advice or if they tell something different.

Advertisement