Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deaths in france after taking pill/acne medication

Options
  • 30-01-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Just read this article and i don't know any more than what i have read on it

http://www.thejournal.ie/acne-drug-france-deaths-775599-Jan2013/

It seems that the drug they are talking about is sold as dianette in Ireland which i know lots of people are on.

Aside from this however i thought i should give a little warning based on my own experiences, i have recently recovered from a serious blood clot and am now still on medication to correct this.

I was not on dianette but i was on the pill. I think i am better off not saying which one as i don't want to scare people away from what was otherwise perfect for me and it is very very popular. This is a side effect of all versions of the combined pill.

Was on it for 7 years and have been warned never to take it again as i was one of the unlucky people to get this side effect that we all know is possible.

I miss the pill, i wont lie, i liked knowing when things were happening and having control over it and it was the perfect method if contraception for me. Don't miss it enough to risk my life though. And it is about risking my life for me now.

This article just scared me a little today though because it seems more common and i would not like others to go through what i have. Especially on that particular pill.

Just be careful ladies!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I was on dianette once for a few months and went off it with out consulting my doctor. I am so glad I did. Taking it was one of the worst thing in my life. I felt so low and didn't realise how big an effect it was having on me until I was off it a few weeks. I dread to think what would have happened if didn't stop using it. I honestly thought I was going crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Just to give another experience, I've been on Dianette for 21 and a half years. It's the only thing that controls the severe hirsutism that came with my PCOS, as well as my awful periods which were almost mini labours. I've never had any side effects apart from mild nausea during the first few months, which vanished when I took it in the evening rather than the morning. Overall it has dramatically changed my life for the better.

I have frequent check ups with my GP and have discussed my other options at length. We have agreed that staying on Dianette is the most suitable option for me for the medium term. I really dread the day that I have to come off it.

I don't want to discount greenbicycle's experience in any way, but would advise any one here who is on Dianette and worried about the news story to discuss it with their GP.

I think I remember reading that it should only be taken for 6 months - 1 year!

However, sunbeam as your GP seems to be monitoring you closely I would think the pros out way the cons in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I agree with you sunbeam, its hard to find a pill that works for you and when you find one that works its great, especially when it helps for other things too.

My post is not meant to be a scare tactic but more of a generating awareness post.

Also my post is a warning about ALL types of combined pill with the addition of the article as it is what made me decide i had to post my experience. Remember, i was not on dianette. If i was reading this post as an outsider i think i would remain on the pill but just be more conscious of side effects and ensure that took the 6 month check ups with the doc even more seriously.

I thought it couldn't happen to me but it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I think the 6 months to a year is in the case of acne rather than hirsutism. It can actually take several years for hirsutism to be fully controlled using Dianette. This was the case with me, though there was a dramatic difference after about eight months. The hair is now about 95 percent gone.

I've bone dry skin and never had much acne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I was on Diannette for a year and a half before coming off it just before Christmas. I thought it may have been having a contributing effect to my low moods, but since coming off it nothing much has changed apart from an increase in sex drive. That's about it. It wasn't really effecting how I feel at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was on dianette for years followed by yasmin. After coming off the pill I feel they weren't doing me much good and I prefer to use other approaches now. Still have problems with acne mind.. Maybe if I had let my system sort itself hormonally out when I was younger I wouldn't have the problems now but I will never know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I started reading this petrified, I've a box of dianette beside me that I'm starting to take at the weekend. I think it'll just be being extra careful, and knowing that I've to be cautious.

Grr, I wish I didn't have to go on it - I've been against it from the start. But still, PCOS needs must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

There is actually a lot about the pill in general in the news here in France at the moment. Apart from the Dianette scandal, there is also scare about so-called "3rd generation" pills which have been linked to higher levels of blood clots. Apparently the pill I am on is one of these (Ceraette), so I will be going to my gp to discuss it.

There is actually a lot about the pill in general in the news here in France at the moment. Apart from the Dianette scandal, there is also scare about so-called "3rd generation" pills which have been linked to higher levels of blood clots. Apparently the pill I am on is one of these (Ceraette), so I will be going to my gp to discuss it.

What is a 3rd generation pill?

Ladies what pills have you found suitable for you and what are unsuitable? I know everyone is different etc but are some pill more likely to cause site effects etc. (Maybe this need a thread of it's own).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

mood wrote: »

Ladies what pills have you found suitable for you and what are unsuitable? I know everyone is different etc but are some pill more likely to cause site effects etc. (Maybe this need a thread of it's own).
    http://www.familyhealthonline.ca/fho/womenshealth/WH_thenewpill_FHb97.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I absolutely hated Diane35. I had headaches, bloating and was cranky for quite some time. Any other contraception pill after that one was better. But there is always risk with contraception pills and I wouldn't think that Diane35 are such a big exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I have been on Dianette for about 3yrs now. I have PCOS so I need it. Regularly monitored, but no problems. To be perfectly honest, before I went on it, I was overweight, depressed, hairy, moody and had terrible periods. I was filled with dread when the doctor mentioned it, but it has turned my life around.

Once I started taking it and settled a bit (according to a friend who is a pharmacist this takes months), the weight fell off, the visible signs of PCOS disappeared, my moods leveled off, depression lifted and my periods went from being a week of hell to being nothing more than three or four days of minor inconvenience.

I would be slow to change. I have been on a few others over the years, which did not suit me at all, so this was a massive surprise.

For anyone nervous about it, I would say give it a go but talk to your doctor and your pharmacist. Pharmacists are the experts in medicines, so there isn't much they don't know about the different ones and possible side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I was PCOS also, but was prescribed microlite, not dianette. I think it's a very low dose, so it doesn't work for everyone, and because the low dose, you can never miss one. Had to set an alarm for it because of that, if I took it even 15 minutes off my normal time I would be bleeding in 12 hours time. It suited me very well though. Regulated cycles, moods gone, extra hair disappeared, and I was even regular for 3 cycles after coming off it (and then got knocked up). I was very happy with microlite. Did the job for me, even with pcos.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

I have had awful experiences with 5 different pills and finally came to the conclusion that I simply shouldn't be on the pill since my body clearly didn't deal well with it.

Among the side effects that I have experienced where such joyful ones as bloating, severe mood swings, nausea, bad headaches and ocular migraines.

The only positive experience I had was with Ovranette but after I had very bad ocular migraines more frequently and read up about it I found WHO warnings that anyone having an increase of migraines (particularly ocular ones which are migraines that cause blind spots in your field of sight) should immediately go off the pill.
    I spoke to my GP about these occurrences and she also confirmed that it may be best to take me off that pill.
    She recommended I'd try a 3rd generation one, Qlaira, but after all the bad press these got recently I am glad I didn't give that one a try...

I have had awful experiences with 5 different pills and finally came to the conclusion that I simply shouldn't be on the pill since my body clearly didn't deal well with it.

Among the side effects that I have experienced where such joyful ones as bloating, severe mood swings, nausea, bad headaches and ocular migraines.

The only positive experience I had was with Ovranette but after I had very bad ocular migraines more frequently and read up about it I found WHO warnings that anyone having an increase of migraines (particularly ocular ones which are migraines that cause blind spots in your field of sight) should immediately go off the pill.
    I spoke to my GP about these occurrences and she also confirmed that it may be best to take me off that pill.
    She recommended I'd try a 3rd generation one, Qlaira, but after all the bad press these got recently I am glad I didn't give that one a try...

What do you do instead?

What do you do instead?

I use condoms and a smartphone app to track my cycle/fertility. This doesn't suit everyone and may sound too risky for some but it has worked well for me so far. Have been off the pill now for a couple of years and have never regretted going off it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I was on Dianette for 2-3 years, maybe more to clear up my acne.

Can't say I ever had any bad side effects from it but my doctor did tell me I'd have to move on to something else. On yaz now and that's keeping the acne at bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

......but after I had very bad ocular migraines more frequently and read up about it I found WHO warnings that anyone having an increase of migraines (particularly ocular ones which are migraines that cause blind spots in your field of sight) should immediately go off the pill.

This happened me. I was getting ocular migraines once a year or so, then I got 4 in a year. I was on Mercilon. I also got headaches the whole week break.

I told my GP and she wasnt too bothered tbh, then I went back and there was a temp GP who said I had to come off it immediately and she put me on non combined pill Cerazette. No problems since. I was given the impression that once there was no estrogen there was no problem. I wasnt aware of these risks of 3rd generation pills. Ive no other choices, Im allergic to latex and I cant afford the mirena coil right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

I was on dianette for only a month to deal with my hirsutism and lack of periods... In just the one month, I experienced none of the moodiness or constant hunger I had while on Yasmin...I would be very slim but I could have sworn my breasts increased (they were tender for a week so prob swelling)..there was no big difference in skin but I would only have a few spots..and most importantly my facial hair was definitely improving..unfortunately 2 weeks into my second pack and I started getting very sharp pains in the back if my knee..perhaps it was me over thinking it about the greater risks if DVT while on this pill but I stopped taking them when the pain didn't subside in a week and went to see my GP..she was very blasé and basically told me to do what I wanted..I had never wanted to take any pill in the first case as I feel they sometimes just mask the real problem when taken for something other than birth control..however I had found this pill great up until I had these pains ehich may or may not have been connected..the pain did stop a few days after taking however.

• Advertisement

I told my GP and she wasnt too bothered tbh, then I went back and there was a temp GP who said I had to come off it immediately and she put me on non combined pill Cerazette. No problems since.
    I stopped taking them when the pain didn't subside in a week and went to see my GP..she was very blasé and basically told me to do what I wanted...

Some GPs aren't too bothered taking side effects on the pill too seriously... I am lucky that my one took my concerns seriously since anybody that has a history of migraines with aura or ocular migraines needs to be careful with the pill.

I know many women have very positive experiences with the pill, thank god, but I advise anyone that has an increase in migraines on the pill to either switch to a different pill or go off it altogether and look into different contraception methods! This book really helped me to find out more about the issue:

http://books.google.ie/books?id=WM--GakdKS8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Pill+and+Other+Hormonal+Contraceptives+WHO&hl=en&sa=X&ei=QyYNUbbyLYnLhAfO_YHYCw&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ

And here is a handy website about Migraines and the Contraceptive Pill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

I took Dianette for 6 years until I changed to a new doctor and she almost roared at me that I shouldn't have been on it that long so she changed me to Yasmin. I'm off the pill completely now and we are using other contraceptive because I always hated being on it, it never did me any harm or caused any mood swings that I know of but I just didn't like the thought of being on it more than anything, I'm very aware of what I put in to my body so I'm glad I'm not on it anymore plus I lost weight coming off it too so maybe it did bloat me more than I realised but from my point of view I never had any problems with Dianette. Like every drug different people will have different reactions. But I do think where possible if you are on Dianette for longer than a year you should talk to your GP and see if another pill might work just as well for you. Yasmin seems to be the main one that people switch to after being on it. Some girls are on it for years without their GP batting an eyelid like my previous doctor. If that's the case seek out a new GP, you go back every 6 months for a prescription etc, they should know more about it than just writing up a repeat prescription and sending you on your way.

Some GPs aren't too bothered taking side effects on the pill too seriously... I am lucky that my one took my concerns seriously since anybody that has a history of migraines with aura or ocular migraines needs to be careful with the pill.

To be fair I had never even thought of mentioning the ocular migraines to anyone - I didnt even know what they were, I though it was just a part of the normal human condition and it happened to everyone. I dont tend to discuss every minute sensation I have and I got no headache with them, so I didnt even know they were migraines. I just thought it was a visual disturbance similar to hiccups or something that got triggered by things like sunlight glinting off cars from time to time.

It was only by accident when a friend mentioned that she had to pull in from driving because a visual disturbance with a migraine that I realised it was migraine related at all.

When I say the GP wasnt bothered, she said one or two ocular migraines a year wasnt a cause for immediate action but we needed to keep an eye on it. By the time I had the next visit Id had 3 in 6 months - so it did accelerate and that was when the temp immediately changed me.

I think there should be more public awareness on the ocular migraine thing, I had had them very occasionally for YEARS and never even knew they were migraines.

When on any medication you need to be aware of any thing that could be a side effect and ask a doctor or at least chemist about it.

When on any medication you need to be aware of any thing that could be a side effect and ask a doctor or at least chemist about it.

Of coure, that much is clear.
    To be fair I had never even thought of mentioning the ocular migraines to anyone - I didnt even know what they were, I though it was just a part of the normal human condition and it happened to everyone. [...]
    I think there should be more public awareness on the ocular migraine thing, I had had them very occasionally for YEARS and never even knew they were migraines.

I think you're right that most people are just not aware that they suffer from ocular migraines and think it's a headache and nothing to be worried about.
    I had my first ocular migraine in my teens and it took me years before realising that they were a form of migraine.
    They aren't necessarily that scary once you know what they are but I remember a couple of times I would have to pull over while driving because it does impair your vision and can be dangerous if you're on they road.
    Other than that I think GPs should always ask patients whether they suffered from migraines in the past before prescribing the pill (particularly the combined pill) because of the increased risk of ischaemic stroke. Not one single GP or gynecologist has ever asked me whether I had a history of migraines before giving me the pill in the past which I find alarming.

Im pretty sure Id had ocular migraines since childhood, they werent a new thing.

The point I was making is, I had no idea what they were at all, and never even associated them as something to worry about, or that could be a side effect of anything. If something doesnt hurt, goes away on its own after around 20 minutes, and happens very rarely - I dont tend to pay much attention to it.

Im sure that similar to most people, I dont analyse every sensation that I experience. I just pay no attention unless something starts bothering me.

I think you're right that most people are just not aware that they suffer from ocular migraines and think it's a headache and nothing to be worried about.

I didnt even have a headache - just a visual disturbance that went away on its own.

I think a previous GP did ask me if I suffered from migraine, but because I didnt have any headaches and because the visual disturbance was so rare - I said no. I didnt know it was a form of migraine. If a GP had asked if I got a flashing checkerboard in front of one eye that slowly spread out I would have recognised it, but a migraine, no, no headache!

Visual disturbance would freak me out. I would go to the optician immediately. I wouldn't have known it could be pill related either.

Visual disturbance would freak me out. I would go to the optician immediately. I wouldn't have known it could be pill related either.

It did really freak me out when I first had an ocular migraine because I didnt know why all of a sudden I had blind spots and flickering lights in my field of sight...
    I didnt think of going to the optician at the time but tbh they wouldnt have been able to tell me anything either since it is a neurological symptom rather than anything you can diagnose with an eye test etc.

• Advertisement

It did really freak me out when I first had an ocular migraine because I didnt know why all of a sudden I had blind spots and flickering lights in my field of sight...
    I didnt think of going to the optician at the time but tbh they wouldnt have been able to tell me anything either since it is a neurological symptom rather than anything you can diagnose with an eye test etc.

But they would have ruled out an eye problem and advise you to see a doctor or possibly a specialist. I am always very aware of any eye problems because of things I have seen happen to other people.

Advertisement