Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster Zone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I take it you never tried to learn to play de fiddle. As has been mentioned Fiddlin' Ain't easy and as Twinkle Star is one of the first lessons it's also painful.

I get you now lol

Sorry for the misunderstanding :S

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Geomy wrote: »
    If there was a nation wide catastrophic disaster,would you accept help or charity from the church ?

Such as food & shelter etc

That's if they were you and your families only hope.

Or would your non beliefs and resentment get in the way...

If there was a nation wide catastrophic disaster,would you accept help from a bunch of atheists?

Such as food & shelter etc.

That's if they were you and your families only hope.

Or would your beliefs and resentment get in the way?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

So, when the media mentions 'fiddlin' with children, they were actually giving them violin lessons?
    I was thinking more along the lines of a tromBONE. Boy is my face red.

Possibly in those fancy 10,000 a year schools - horns of any description are expensive, hard to play and require a lot of wind.

In my brief sojourn at a convent school the Nuns insisted I learn fiddlin - I wanted to learn the cello. :mad:

The Brothers made my brother learn the triangle - make of that what you will :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Not to mention it takes ages to get beyond Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - although after a week of hearing myself squeeeeek through that again and I'd beat myself to death with a rock so the church could take their charity and shove it.

Thanks for that wonderful memory, I'm pretty sure it was heavily repressed until your post.

The noise won't leave my ears now, it's like a dying cat, a rusty dying cat.

Thanks for that wonderful memory, I'm pretty sure it was heavily repressed until your post.

The noise won't leave my ears now, it's like a dying cat, a rusty dying cat.

Hail, fellow veteran. :D

The flashbacks are indeed mighty cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In my brief sojourn at a convent school the Nuns insisted I learn fiddlin - I wanted to learn the cello. :mad:

If you weren't a girl - you could have gotten to play that most magical of instrument.

Those magic bells the chosen altar boy rings to let us know transubstantiation has occurred... (unless you're an Irish catholic and think none of that's real).

Dades wrote: »
    If you weren't a girl - you could have gotten to play that most magical of instrument.

Those magic bells the chosen altar boy rings to let us know transubstantiation has occurred... (unless you're an Irish catholic and think none of that's real).

Brother was an alter boy so he got the triangle and the magic bells. :mad:

I remember the day he got his regulation mini cassock and doily surcoat. He showed it to me proudly and told me he would be helping the priest. I announced that I wanted to do that too (cassock envy) only to be told ,with all the serious maturity of his 10 years, that I couldn't because I was a girl. So my 5 year old self went whirling dervish on his ass....

The echos of the he said/she hit me duet tantrum scored for outrage that followed still resound around my mother's house.

Happy days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Anybody else disappointed this thread wasn't called "Danger Zone"?:o
    I know it mightn't have conveyed the OPs query as much, but damn, opportunity missed in my opinion.

That's ok Jernal,if you like ill come up with something again lol
    You can have a right go at it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Possibly in those fancy 10,000 a year schools - horns of any description are expensive, hard to play and require a lot of wind.

I play the cello :cool:

I suppose the nuns had a lot more experience with fiddling than with spreading their legs

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I play the cello :cool:

I suppose the nuns had a lot more experience with fiddling than with spreading their legs

*eaten with jealousy*

Cello is sexy. :(

They had cello classes too but I was ordered to fiddle...apparently only the chosen few got the feel the vibrato between their legs.

Last time I seen a cello was on a tube in London,the next thing it moved and turned into a woman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands - and all you can do is scratch it"

-Sir Thomas Beecham speaking to female cellist.

Advertisement