Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster Zone

Options
  • 30-01-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

If there was a nation wide catastrophic disaster,would you accept help or charity from the church ?

Such as food & shelter etc

That's if they were you and your families only hope.

Or would your non beliefs and resentment get in the way...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If they weren't forcing me to accept their faith before giving me the help - sure. If they were only giving food to converts, I'd fake it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

No, id rather me and my kids die...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Would you ?

That's the difference,some of us can detach from the power of the church,more people cant.

That's sad really, to let a family die due to a resentment.

I'd never take the soup.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't take the wine or bread....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Geomy wrote: »
    If there was a nation wide catastrophic disaster,would you accept help or charity from the church ?

What difference does it make where or who the help comes from?
    I'll happily take a hand out from muslims, jews, atheists, aztecs and pastafarians under circumstances like that.

I don't get the point of that question Geomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

In a situation like that I would take help and support from anyone. To refuse and let you and your loved ones die is just stupid, why wouldn't you accept help from the church? :confused:

Beruthiel wrote: »

What difference does it make where or who the help comes from?
    I'll happily take a hand out from muslims, jews, atheists, aztecs and pastafarians under circumstances like that.

I don't get the point of that question Geomy.

Well I get the point of your answer,as you see some people have a different answer to you or I.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

as you see some people have a different answer to you or I.

Someone who lost all use of their mental faculties you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No, I'd also make sure to ask any survivors in the rubble if they were atheist, if not then just kick dirt in their face and say "well ask your god for help!" while eating their babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

That's the difference,some of us can detach from the power of the church,more people cant.
    I also can't just walk away from the church, i need it in writing that they acknowledge that i am no longer a member...

Like Kruders post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

your non beliefs and resentment...
    I take it that you think these are somehow connected? Do we think we're secretly angry at not getting into your "heaven" or something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Like Kruders post
    I think you're missing an implied smiley in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

pg633 wrote: »
    I'd never take the soup.
    Soup yes. Kool-aid, no. Thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Do the RCC have big stockpiles of emergency supplies hidden away or something? I'd rather loot Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Shît, is the Rapture coming sooner than I planned? I should have listened to those pesky Mormons, they have to have a years supply of stuff stashed away just in case. To Salt Lake City!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

goose2005 wrote: »
    Do the RCC have big stockpiles of emergency supplies hidden away or something? I'd rather loot Lidl.
    bibbles-for-haiti-looks-delicious.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As long as I didn't have to sign up for obligatory mass attendance or hand my kids over for fiddlin' I'd be okay with it.
    I'm sure most theists would be happy to accept help from an atheist in such a situation too, so long as there was no ulterior motive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galvasean wrote: »
    As long as I didn't have to sign up for obligatory mass attendance or hand my kids over for fiddlin' I'd be okay with it.
    I'm sure most theists would be happy to accept help from an atheist in such a situation too, so long as there was no ulterior motive.

"Im helping you but your god isn't, you sure about all this?" probably uncovert a few with that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Galvasean wrote: »
    Learning a musical instrument is important, though admittedly, in the middle of a disaster may not be the right time...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

MrPudding wrote: »
    Learning a musical instrument is important, though admittedly, in the middle of a disaster may not be the right time...

MrP
    It'd have to be a really long disaster. Fiddlin's harder than it looks. Could take a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

endacl wrote: »
    It'd have to be a really long disaster. Fiddlin's harder than it looks. Could take a while.

Fiddlin's tricky alright. Leaves your fingers sore and your arms quite tired.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Obliq wrote: »
    Fiddlin's tricky alright. Leaves your fingers sore and your arms quite tired.

Not to mention it takes ages to get beyond Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - although after a week of hearing myself squeeeeek through that again and I'd beat myself to death with a rock so the church could take their charity and shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Religious folks aren't stupid you know! In such a scenario ...you guys are gonna be force-fed. The idea that you have a choice smacks of self delusion.

Religious or otherwise...we've all heard the rumours and we aint taking chances..

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Not to mention it takes ages to get beyond Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - although after a week of hearing myself squeeeeek through that again and I'd beat myself to death with a rock so the church could take their charity and shove it.

What has Twinkle Star got to do with all this ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What has Twinkle Star got to do with all this ?

I take it you never tried to learn to play de fiddle. As has been mentioned Fiddlin' Ain't easy and as Twinkle Star is one of the first lessons it's also painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The last time I accepted food off the church, while I was in desperate circumstances, I woke up with my underpants on back-to-front, and felt as if I'd been drugged.

So, to answer your question, of course I would wolf down any food they give me, but I would remove my underpants beforehand. 'Do unto others' and all that.

Hey Men. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I take it you never tried to learn to play de fiddle. As has been mentioned Fiddlin' Ain't easy and as Twinkle Star is one of the first lessons it's also painful.

So, when the media mentions 'fiddlin' with children, they were actually giving them violin lessons?
    I was thinking more along the lines of a tromBONE. Boy is my face red.

Advertisement