Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro purchase

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Okay, I'm reading through this thread very carefully and this is what I'm getting from the context,

I should get AppleCare without doubt if I want to avoid faulty parts to be replaced with my hard-earned cash.

For purchasing a MBP in the states, there is a federal tax to paid along with it. My uncle lives in CT and he can either buy it in CT or in Boston which is in Massachusetts I think? I presume it would be cheaper to buy in CT as it is not a massive state with huge population..?

I'm attending Uni. of Limerick in September. I know they have a discount fee for all students buying either MBP or MBA. If I use a discount, would I still also be eligible for VAT as well or vice-versa?

Most of you are recommending me to buy a refurbed MBP. This is certainly an option for me but I'm a little bit uneasy buying second electronics especially if it's expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Refurbs have the same warranty as new, apple care applies equally to refurbs and new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Graham wrote: »
    Refurbs have the same warranty as new, apple care applies equally to refurbs and new.

Do the refurbs have a VAT on it? It doesn't show anything on the website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes, the price of the refurbs includes VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Okay, I'm reading through this thread very carefully and this is what I'm getting from the context,

I should get AppleCare without doubt if I want to avoid faulty parts to be replaced with my hard-earned cash.

For purchasing a MBP in the states, there is a federal tax to paid along with it. My uncle lives in CT and he can either buy it in CT or in Boston which is in Massachusetts I think? I presume it would be cheaper to buy in CT as it is not a massive state with huge population..?

I'm attending Uni. of Limerick in September. I know they have a discount fee for all students buying either MBP or MBA. If I use a discount, would I still also be eligible for VAT as well or vice-versa?

Most of you are recommending me to buy a refurbed MBP. This is certainly an option for me but I'm a little bit uneasy buying second electronics especially if it's expensive.

Sales tax in Connecticut is 6.35% and in Massachusetts its 6.25% so really not much of a difference where he buys it if you decide to go with the US option. Tax is not a factor of state size or density.

Claiming the VAT portion back should not be affected by whether or not you get a discount on it. You'll just get less back because you're paying less in the first place. I don't pretend to know for sure so just drop your college an email. Also in your calculations find out if you are claiming back all the vat or just a portion of it. Your rebate might not be what you originally thought.

Dont think of refurbed laptops as second hand, i think they are sold with the same warranty as new laptops. Normally they have just been returned within a cooling off period and therefore cannot be sold as new. If price is a factor its a good way of getting it for cheaper or even getting a higher spec'd model. Also why not consider getting a refurbed mac in the states?

The Apple Care is really up to you but ancillary products from apple are always expensive. Why not look into getting gadget insurance and make sure it covers laptops. You're parents house insurance may also cover it???

Also have a look at jigsaw24.com They have some really good stuff and i've used them before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement