Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro purchase

Options
  • 28-01-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

At the moment I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro from the US. I have a uncle living in the States and will be visiting home in August so I was thinking that I could get him to buy me the MBP and bring it home as I would only pay E925 at the current exchange rate instead of E1199 thus saving me a fortune. I just want to know is there anything that should be aware of such as customs that my uncle will face before I make the purchase?

Cheers,
    Jamie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

Not really sure on customs but couldn't you just get him to open it and pretend it was his laptop anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Well that can be done all right. Is there anything that should be a particular concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Keyboard layout will be slightly different. Larger left Shift key and different shaped return button.
    You'll just need to pop a US to UK plug adapter over the one that comes with it. If you want to get Applecare make sure your uncle buys it for you when he picks up the machine, I don't believe you can buy Applecare outside of the country you purchased the product in. (even though the warranty is worldwide)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Check the Charter, 2nd topic, top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

I bought my MBP in the states too and i had no problem bringing it back. I did bring a usb key with me with some documents and then placed them on the desktop so it looked like i had taken it for work and gave the empty box to a friend. As it happened nobody batted an eyelid. The only time to worry is if customs in ireland charge you import duties. After that you'll have no worries. The Apple warranty is worldwide too so there should be no problems there. You can order a UK and Ireland plug for it off Amazon really cheaply. Also dont forget that on top of the online price you'll be paying state and federal taxes which will at most be 8.1% i think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Discussion of how to evade customs is against charter. Please don't discuss it here, thanks.

MOD: I don't see any discussion about evading customs..?

On Topic, macsauce, your saying that I won't be paying $1199, but I will pay 8.1% tax on top of it?

I will probably not get a warranty due to the price of it and the durability of the MBP so it's not really necessary.. I have plenty of travel adapters at home.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

On Topic, macsauce, your saying that I won't be paying $1199, but I will pay 8.1% tax on top of it?

I will probably not get a warranty due to the price of it and the durability of the MBP so it's not really necessary.. I have plenty of travel adapters at home.

My MBP went back twice

TroutMask wrote: »
    My MBP went back twice

Was the damage serious, in technical or physical form?

Was the damage serious, in technical or physical form?

You could say that - the grafix died + there was a prob with the USB ports. Typetec (part of the problem right there) replaced the logic board. I got it back and used it for 2 hours and the grafix died again. Back to Typetec. Now it works but the USBs occasionally act up. It's more a physical thing - USB storage will unmount if you lean on it, and they have less power than my old MBP. Still a great laptop - but the change in manufacturing venue means that Mac hardware is not as reliable as it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Hello all,

At the moment I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro from the US. I have a uncle living in the States and will be visiting home in August so I was thinking that I could get him to buy me the MBP and bring it home as I would only pay E925 at the current exchange rate instead of E1199 thus saving me a fortune. I just want to know is there anything that should be aware of such as customs that my uncle will face before I make the purchase?

Cheers,
    Jamie

Try buying a refurb from Apple Store, same warranty as a new one and get a couple of hundred euro's off the price or 10% off if you are in college or know of someone in a college.

Try buying a refurb from Apple Store, same warranty as a new one and get a couple of hundred euro's off the price or 10% off if you are in college or know of someone in a college.

+1 for refurb - my first MBP was a refurb - never a bother on it + I got a shredding upgraded machine

+1 for refurb - my first MBP was a refurb - never a bother on it + I got a shredding upgraded machine

My second Macbook was a refurb, saved about €300.

I am eligble for a VAT-back programme from the government due to my disability. I'm also heading to college in September so I can avail of the 10% discount.
    My second Macbook was a refurb, saved about €300.
    If I buy one in the States, I'm still saving E300 and I would get it brand-new..

I am eligble for a VAT-back programme from the government due to my disability. I'm also heading to college in September so I can avail of the 10% discount.

If I buy one in the States, I'm still saving E300 and I would get it brand-new..

refurbs are essentially new - they are rebuilt machines that came back in under warranty. The nice thing about refurbs is that they have the problems ironed out before you get them. If they have cosmetic issues, they usually say this on the site

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Posts 2 & 6 qualify anyway.

How are you going to get VAT back on a US purchase. They have sales tax but it's highly unlikely your programme has a deal w/ Uncle Sam for retrieving sales tax. A MBP less VAT will be about the same here as an imported one with US sales tax (applied in the state it was bought). A refurb would be less again (less VAT). Apple refurbs are not some worn-looking charity shop jobs (no pun....) - mine was pristine. I think it's more down to replacement machines being sent to people when logic boards and components are thin on the ground - then they tool up the warranty carcasses into (nearly) new MBPs and float 'em on the site.

How are you going to get VAT back on a US purchase. They have sales tax but it's highly unlikely your programme has a deal w/ Uncle Sam for retrieving sales tax. A MBP less VAT will be about the same here as an imported one with US sales tax (applied in the state it was bought). A refurb would be less again (less VAT). Apple refurbs are not some worn-looking charity shop jobs (no pun....) - mine was pristine. I think it's more down to replacement machines being sent to people when logic boards and components are thin on the ground - then they tool up the warranty carcasses into (nearly) new MBPs and float 'em on the site.

Refurbs can be as simple as a customer changing their mind within the 14 days and returning it. Apple can't sell it as brand new so sell it as a refurb. Usually something like an optical drive not working and is replaced and tested. My last couple of MBPs were refurbs and as new.

interesting - they have a 14 day return! Never knew that - explains why a lot of the refurbs are custom specs :)

So OP if you buy the macbook here you can either make use of a new or refurbished option with the VAT back as you previously advised.
    There is no 10/12% discount on refurbs as they are discounted already.
    The discount is only available on new macs and then you have to logon through a college (you can always get someone to order for you in college/uni).

I would recommend a macbook air over a macbook pro if you are commuting/travelling any great distance with it.

• Advertisement

Sorry for replying any sooner folks, school...

TroutMask: I meant to say that if I buy a MBP in Ireland, I can claim a VAT back charge on it. It's nice but it means that I need to have more money up front. I was just wondering, if I bought a brand-new MBP here in Ireland, online, would I be eligible for both the college discount and VAT back programme?

bonnieprince: The MBP is for college and travel isn't an option for me yet. I would use it for CAD programs and for gaming via BootCamp. I know that if I want to use a laptop for gaming, I'm better off buying an actual gaming laptop or something similar but I want a really durable laptop and MBP seems to fit the criteria. Pricey? Yes, but I would need it.

Thanks for the replies!

TroutMask: I meant to say that if I buy a MBP in Ireland, I can claim a VAT back charge on it. It's nice but it means that I need to have more money up front. I was just wondering, if I bought a brand-new MBP here in Ireland, online, would I be eligible for both the college discount and VAT back programme?

bonnieprince: The MBP is for college and travel isn't an option for me yet. I would use it for CAD programs and for gaming via BootCamp. I know that if I want to use a laptop for gaming, I'm better off buying an actual gaming laptop or something similar but I want a really durable laptop and MBP seems to fit the criteria. Pricey? Yes, but I would need it.

Thanks for the replies!

If a CAD program is the main use - then check with your course instructor before buying, as some CAD programs run better on PC. MBP is not necessarily a very durable laptop - i've always babied mine to keep 'em going. If you want a laptop that you can get medieval on : Panasonic ToughBook. The hi-end Lenovo are sturdy too.

Troutmask: sorry, what I meant is that I want a laptop that is very reliable and won't give me an error everyday like Windows laptops do.. I've heard that iOS have very little maintenance in technicality and users rarely have to ring support for a problem.

Thanks for the replies!

My last mac used bootcamp for 3D modelling and Adobe CS5 and handled in no problem. Macbooks are better built and have better hardware/software matching in my opinion. Go for it! You will never buy a plastic laptop again.

My last mac used bootcamp for 3D modelling and Adobe CS5 and handled in no problem. Macbooks are better built and have better hardware/software matching in my opinion. Go for it! You will never buy a plastic laptop again.

Yeah, Macs are great for that stuff. According to some architect friends of mine, certain CAD programs don't run well on a Mac - you'll just want to check first. It's unlikely, but worth investigating as you did mention CAD. Nearly everything i have runs fine on Mac - with couple of exceptions - EyeTV strangely enough is terrible on my MBP and it's supposed to be for Mac! Runs great on my Lenovo PC laptop though, go figure! I mean, there are cheap plastic laptops and there are really nice Pc laptops too! The iBooks and some of the MacBooks were pretty plasticky and cheap. Fell apart they did if i recall. Mac are like OK now, not like they were. Quality control is a problem - with a lot of duff runs. We had 8 graphic cards go in Mac Pros just out of warranty and Mac didn't want to know. Expensive 450 euro dual head grafix cards. Did a diagnostic and it was faulty 'capacitor plague' ultra cheapo components that had no place in a premium grafix card. I recapped them myself. Mac can be jerks - they're just not as big jerks as, say, Dell. They tend to replace things like faulty batteries quite quickly - probably scared your house will burn down and they'll be liable.

Yep you'll be paying more than the price quoted on the web. I bought mine in nevada which has a combined state and federal tax rate of 8.1% which is also the highest tax a state can charge so use that as a worst case scenario. Even when you order online apple collect the relevant tax for the state in which your order was placed. The world wide warranty comes as standard and is separate from the apple care protection thing. CompuB in Ireland are very good for handling stuff covered by warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I've heard that iOS have very little maintenance in technicality and users rarely have to ring support for a problem.
    Although they are moving closer together, iOS runs iPhones and iPads and OS X runs MacBooks, Mac minis, iMacs etc.

if I bought a brand-new MBP here in Ireland, online, would I be eligible for both the college discount and VAT back programme?

It depends on how you're eligible for VAT back. Are you attending college in the states or a US resident? Doubt Uncle Sam will give the VAT back otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

If you're gonna have one bought for you in the States definitely buy the Applecare. If it breaks after the standard year you're screwed as the SoG Act only covers good bought in Ireland, so you'll be forking out a lot of money for a repair or for a new laptop. Save yourself the headache and put in the extra $300 dollars.

Or you could listen to other knowledgeable posters and look in to the refurbs on Apple's website. Pretty much brand new and you get your full statutory rights with them.
    macsauce wrote: »
    Yep you'll be paying more than the price quoted on the web. I bought mine in nevada which has a combined state and federal tax rate of 8.1% which is also the highest tax a state can charge so use that as a worst case scenario. Even when you order online apple collect the relevant tax for the state in which your order was placed. The world wide warranty comes as standard and is separate from the apple care protection thing. CompuB in Ireland are very good for handling stuff covered by warranty.

Pretty sure NYC has higher tax and so does Seattle.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure NYC has higher tax and so does Seattle.

I stand corrected. Alabama, Arkansas, Cali, Illinois, Kansas, louisiana, Missouri, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Washington all have higher taxes, the highest being Illinois at 11.5%.

Advertisement