Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE radio 1 cheaper alternatives

Options
  • 27-01-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

Interested to hear people's views on who they reckon could or should replace the dinosaurs in montrose and do an equally good if not better job and for less money. Take Sean o Rourke for example, was on 219k in 2009 , I reckon Newstalk's Jonathan Healy could be a more than adequate replacement. Any other suggestion for other Radio 1 programmes ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

ah but Sean o Rourke is in a different league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

O'Rourke and Pat Kenny are two that I would leave where they are, despite the cost. Sean Moncrieff instead of Mooney or John Murray. The entire OTB team would probably be cheaper than Darragh Maloney. The rest would come from RTE itself. Rachael English replacing Finucane. Cathal Murray in for Ronan Collins. Boucher-Hayes presenting Liveline. I can't think of anyone else. We do have a fairly small talent pool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

O'Rourke and Pat Kenny are two that I would leave where they are, despite the cost. Sean Moncrieff instead of Mooney or John Murray. The entire OTB team would probably be cheaper than Darragh Maloney. The rest would come from RTE itself. Rachael English replacing Finucane. Cathal Murray in for Ronan Collins. Boucher-Hayes presenting Liveline. I can't think of anyone else. We do have a fairly small talent pool.

Interesting exercise.

I would definitely re-deploy Mr.Murray,MrCollins,MsWilson on the mainstream programmes.

Marian's is good but is way too expensive,as are quite a few others.

Darragh Moloney I find excellent,not obstructive,neutral accent and knowledgable on a lot of sports.

I would hope that RTE would not go down the OTB line as I detest that kind of smug opinionated kind of show delivered in staccato bursts of poor grammar and laddish attitude.

Kind of stuff you will hear on any taxi rank.Experts on everything.

I would not sacrifice professionalism for that kind of presentation .

Moncreiff is acceptable in small doses,can get tiring after about 30 mins.

Don't know if the public could take a steady diet of Bouchier-Hayes.

So not as easy as it looks to replace these 'dinosaurs'.

Once they stay away from these 'reality show' types I would be reasonably happy:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't think Moncrieff or OTB would be as "unrestrained" on RTE though.

I don't think you could just transfer them over and expect the same.

Yes,quite correct there,different parameters entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Seeing as Joe Duffy's Liveline has become so death obsessed they could read out the death notices for the country after News at One for all the difference it would make and save €400k per annum.

Although, seriously, RTE should really take a look at what's on offer from 12 noon onwards. The Ronan Collins (agree, Cathal Murray in for him!) music slot should replace Mooney at 3 and Duffy should be shown the door. Man is using that show as a platform for himself long enough. Would like to see the Liveline return to what it was under Maid Marions' tutelage....but not with herself at the chair, she'd cause a rise of €30 in the TV Licence fee if she got that gig again.

europa11 wrote: »
    Seeing as Joe Duffy's Liveline has become so death obsessed they could read out the death notices for the country after News at One for all the difference it would make and save €400k per annum.

Although, seriously, RTE should really take a look at what's on offer from 12 noon onwards. The Ronan Collins (agree, Cathal Murray in for him!) music slot should replace Mooney at 3 and Duffy should be shown the door. Man is using that show as a platform for himself long enough. Would like to see the Liveline return to what it was under Maid Marions' tutelage....but not with herself at the chair, she'd cause a rise of €30 in the TV Licence fee if she got that gig again.

Death obsessed?

Can you expand on that observation?

You have a point, but I doubt Moncrieff or McDevitt would have much difficultly adapting and since OTB has nearly twice as many listeners as Sport at 7 maybe RTE's sports department could do with loosening up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

I would hope that RTE would not go down the OTB line as I detest that kind of smug opinionated kind of show delivered in staccato bursts of poor grammar and laddish attitude.

Kind of stuff you will hear on any taxi rank.Experts on everything.
    Good point. And funny you mention taxi drivers - I'd say they are their biggest audience! I remember being in a taxi in Dublin years ago and the driver was listening to BBC Radio 5 - this is the kind of person they're targetting.

You do hear all the major (sports) news stories on OTB, but in order to fill content, there's too much time given to American sports IMO - I'd far rather they'd go down the chain (i.e. outside GAA/Soccer/Rugby/Golf/Horse-Racing) for Irish stories instead. And their smartarsey ways grates after a (very short) while.

Having said that, they do have some very interesting interviews, they've won awards, and they are garnering market share.

Personally, I switch between Arena and OTB, depending on who's annoying me more!

serfboard wrote: »
    Good point. And funny you mention taxi drivers - I'd say they are their biggest audience! I remember being in a taxi in Dublin years ago and the driver was listening to BBC Radio 5 - this is the kind of person they're targetting.

You do hear all the major (sports) news stories on OTB, but in order to fill content, there's too much time given to American sports IMO - I'd far rather they'd go down the chain (i.e. outside GAA/Soccer/Rugby/Golf/Horse-Racing) for Irish stories instead. And their smartarsey ways grates after a (very short) while.

Having said that, they do have some very interesting interviews, they've won awards, and they are garnering market share.

Personally, I switch between Arena and OTB, depending on who's annoying me more!

Interesting !

What binds my balls is the way the think they know more than the people in charge.

"Put Gerrard in the 'hole' behind the strikers and move Suarez up front on his own".

Sounds great on radio.."jaysus that guy knows what he is talking about"

However nobody will ever really find out, as these guys are not in charge of anything!!

Never have to do it for real.....FOR REAL

Can't understand the amount of people taken in by these people.

Can't understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

There a plenty of replacements available from outside RTE.

Claire Byrne is a good example of what you can develop if you give younger broadcasters a chance.
    Would be well able to carry Marian's slot on Sat/Sun at a lot less cost.

Get rid of Murray and Collins the Bland...Moncreif would be good in Murrays slot.

Shoot that goon Hector...a one trick pony....and Mary W should be "tolt" that she is been"solt" off.

Keep Pat the plank ...he is a competent professional.....get rid of that gimp Cahill and his obsession with "de lads on dere European adventures".

Can't remember the name of the chappie who interviewed G.Adams a few days ago...but he was good ..not afraid to ask the hard questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knutsack

You have a point, but I doubt Moncrieff or McDevitt would have much difficultly adapting and since OTB has nearly twice as many listeners as Sport at 7 maybe RTE's sports department could do with loosening up a bit.

OTB is on for 3 hours. Sport at 7 is a half an hour. Are you comparing like with like?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Replace

Bosco with George Hook (should only cost about €10 a week)
    Mooney with the Angelus
    Murray can go on a year long walk.
    Joe Duffy, Just replay liveline from 5years ago (same people, same stories)

Knutsack wrote: »
    OTB is on for 3 hours. Sport at 7 is a half an hour. Are you comparing like with like?

I think so. Listeners figures are based on the average quarter hour audience, the length of the show shouldn't make that much of a difference. Plus, the lead in audience from Drivetime is around 240,000 compared to Hook's 120,000. I think fair to say that Sport at 7 isn't performing that well ratings wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can't understand the amount of people taken in by these people.

Can't understand it.

Are you implying their vast listenership are all fools ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Are you implying their vast listenership are all fools ?

I most certainly am not, not by any stretch of the imagination.

I do feel though, that a more forensic examination of their output would lead most informed people to believe that they are not in the 'minor deity' bracket.

Now if they were ,in the 'unlikely event' as they say in aviation' took over Liverpool and turned them into world beaters, then I would kneel at their altar.

Until then they are just pundits,who can just say their piece,albeit well informed.

They will never have to do it themselves and therefore in my opinion should be treated as such.

Great programme,lot's of people love it, I don't.

That's as honest as I can be.

Big C wrote: »
    Joe Duffy, Just replay liveline from 5years ago (same people, same stories)
    I'd say you'd have to go back further than 5 years to find the same stories.

I remember about 5-6 years ago he had small business owners on who said they were hiring foreigners as the Irish people available to them were the unemployables (we were down to 4% unemployment at that stage - a level economists consider full employment as 4% of populations are unemployable).

I doubt we'd be hearing the same stories now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

heybaby wrote: »
    Interested to hear people's views on who they reckon could or should replace the dinosaurs in montrose and do an equally good if not better job and for less money. Take Sean o Rourke for example, was on 219k in 2009 , I reckon Newstalk's Jonathan Healy could be a more than adequate replacement. Any other suggestion for other Radio 1 programmes ?

Jonathan Healy? Are you joking. I cringe listening to him. No depth of knowledge on anything really. Moncrief is about the only person that stands out and would wipe the floor with any of his counterparts. Of course Off The Ball has been embarassing RTE's sports det for years now with a fraction of their resources.So they could replace Des Cahill and RTE's bafflingly huge sports dept.

Death obsessed?

Can you expand on that observation?

Listen to Liveline on any given day (with the exception of his self-styled "Funny Friday") and you'll find Duffer - whose shows' promo evidently prides itself as being at the cutting edge of current events - harping on about subjects such as his discovery of a grave containing six or seven members of the same family who died from eating poisoned whelks.....in 1846!

He can and will incorporate more up to date death related matters at the drop of a hat in his show, usually laying the blame at the door of, well take your pick - the HSE/'De Gubbermint' (when FF aren't in power)/ some disease du jour that has taken his fancy, etc.. Failing having to lay blame doesn't stop him, he'll happily discuss how peoples' grandparents died or any other tragedy that crops up worldwide.

Honestly, take a look at the many Liveline threads and you'll constantly come across posts with a resigned "oh f*ck, death again" theme. Worse still (unless you follow the latest LL thread here :D ), listen to him.

btw, he has been telling listeners for the past few weeks his current pet project is that of compiling a list of all the children who died during the 1916 Rising.

P.S.:
    Sorry for not replying earlier.

Now that you mention it!!

You are not wrong:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Where do I sign to keep Cathal Murray permanently on the 12-1 slot? The Doors as a show opener, that got rid of the cobwebs!

Yakuza wrote: »
    Where do I sign to keep Cathal Murray permanently on the 12-1 slot? The Doors as a show opener, that got rid of the cobwebs!
    Jim Jennings,
    Head of Radio 1,
    RTE,
    Donnybrook,
    Dublin 4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cathal Murray really is a top class broadcaster.

Shamefully under used in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Knutsack wrote: »

Well I think what is most indicative from my own personal point of view is that I never find myself wanting to change the radio to Radio One to get that half hour or Sport At 7... which you would have assumed would be more entertaining given that they only have to fill a half hour with the day's sport..

Other suggestions as to cheaper presenters would be a chipmunk to take over both John Murray's show and Mary Wilson's DriveTime..

...Other suggestions as to cheaper presenters would be a chipmunk to take over both John Murray's show and Mary Wilson's DriveTime..

:D

Not alone cheaper but more entertaining and actually funny (in JM's case) and less rude (as in Mary Constantinterruptus Wilson's)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ronan Collins must be having a fit if he's listening in to Cathal Murray's show. I've just heard him playing The Pixies :D

Ok, who kidnapped Ronan? Playing two good songs in a row? (View to a kill and Skyfall :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Yakuza wrote: »
    Ok, who kidnapped Ronan? Playing two good songs in a row? (View to a kill and Skyfall :))

Ronan off again ?

No, it was the man himself - just two relatively modern songs (and, yes, I know one is nearly 30 years old!!!) in a row was an unusual (ibut welcome) occurrence :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Claire Byrne is a good example of what you can develop if you give younger broadcasters a chance.
    Would be well able to carry Marian's slot on Sat/Sun at a lot less cost.

Good grief no. Byrne is appalling.

Advertisement