Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Men Season 6 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Interesting to see Don doing a U-turn, facing up to his past, talking about separating from Megan, giving up the booze - I wasn't expecting it to go in that direction.

Looks like all this talk about Megan dying was wrong. It was Don Draper who died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Wow. Does this show get its money's worth from Vincent karthheiser. Best lines in the show, and loved him in the scenes with Trudy and stroking his daughters hair. It was like all his bad choices he could see in Tammys face. He is just so terrific.

Again with Sally and Betty's moving phone call. You look at your kids and see all your bad decisions.

Margaret hates her dad and now Roger has a second chance with Kevin.

Peggy. Stay away from married men.

Very moving episode.

Jessica Pares acting is atrocious. It brings down Jon Hamm when they are scenes together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what the is going on with petes mom, and god i hate bob benson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

what the is going on with petes mom, and god i hate bob benson!

Manolo married her. They were on honeymoon and she fell off the boat.

Bob Benson is a sociopath who is going to ingratiate himself to everyone and then knife them in the back. Watch out Joan when you think he's your gay best friend and you tell him who Kevin's father is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Loved that final scene. And the phonecall between Don and Betty.

Gutted that's the last episode of the season, didn't realise :(

Now all I have to look forward to is Breaking Bad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

pete has the best lines ever.

'she loved the sea' was goat.

what a great series! rip don draper!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Loved pete's "Not great, Bob!" Please please be in the Emmy reel please!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

An episode of departures, then. Spouse - Megan, family - Pete's mother, personnel - Ted, and of course Don's realisation and deviating heavily from the script.

Plenty of barbs to go around - Roger, Don, Stan and Sally whose never been afraid of telling adults to cop on a bit.

The phone call between Betty (Jones upping her game for once?) and Don was moving. Is this his rock bottom? And what was that line from Ted to Peggy 'I want you all to myself', or something? That was very Draperesque, no?

I wonder if they'll catch any flack for the scene where the Bible was thrown onto the street...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

An episode of departures, then. Spouse - Megan, family - Pete's mother, personnel - Ted, and of course Don's realisation and deviating heavily from the script.

Plenty of barbs to go around - Roger, Don, Stan and Sally whose never been afraid of telling adults to cop on a bit.

The phone call between Betty (Jones upping her game for once?) and Don was moving. Is this his rock bottom? And what was that line from Ted to Peggy 'I want you all to myself', or something? That was very Draperesque, no?

I wonder if they'll catch any flack for the scene where the Bible was thrown onto the street...

When was this? I don't remember it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

In the flashback to Don's youth in the brothel. The guy said they were living in sin and he was turfed out. Bible hit the concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

As much as I've thought this season has been a little weak, the finale delivered. When Don suddenly told the brutal truth of his childhood, my jaw dropped - about the first honest thing he's said all season. He almost seemed lighter for telling it. Watching it, I could see John Hamm's Emmy nomination and more appearing beside it.

I do feel sorry for Pete though. As much as he's a greasy S.O.B. there's something vaguely pathetic about him too. Bob Benson is far too smooth for him to manipulate and I'm ready to see how Bob progresses next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Don could have went to california, been happier with his wife and his kids (he would be happier/easier and they would get a nice vacation) and Ted would have imploded and he would likely be the one fired along with Peggy but he chose to tell two huge truths about his past.

Great episode.

Roger used the phrase 'sh!t the bed' following Don's pitch. Is that a contemporary phrase? I've only heard it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

Excellent finale, I really enjoyed the twists & turns.

Don finally opened up on his past, hallelujah! Who knows how far he'll go with his revelations by the next season. That Hershey's meeting was an eye-opener for everyone there, but especially Roger who has known him the longest. Ted's expression was priceless!

And Sally literally looking at Don differently at the end, brilliant - he has scarred her for life with his womanising, she is growing up too fast now. Loved when he called Betty "Birdie" on the phone, like the old days, with Megan quietly observing in the background, so clearly not a part of his life at all. He doesn't care about her anymore, doesn't care that she left her job for his proposed move then he just changed his mind because of his sudden attack of conscience. It's all about him. Looks like she will leave him for a new life in LA perhaps, "no kids".

I'm sure Duck Phillips was only too happy to arrive early & rub Don's nose in it, after their past.

Pete's reaction to his missing mother, tragic-comedy at its finest. I briefly wondered would Trudy take him back when she saw him with Tammy. Where are they going with Bob Benson...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Bob is going to be a pivotal character next season. Not in terms of screen time but you just get the sense they have him thrown in there to put a massive spanner in the works at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Am I the only one who thought nothing really happened this season? Don had an affair (pretty much every season he has had one). There is destructive behavior from Sally and Betty as usual. Peggy goes after one of the older employees. I felt nothing really happened until the finale. Most shows built up the finale, but the only decent thing about this season was the finale.

Don cant have been forced out of the firm as he is the only reason why the clients are there. He can get a job in any firm he wants and take the clients with him. All the other partners in the firm are too weak to get new clients. I dont think Pete is gay, but knows to stay out of other peoples business as he has done with Don.

This show hasnt made any real buzz in the media this year. Either this show will have an amazing final season or go down in history as one of those shows that peaked too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

hfallada wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought nothing really happened this season? Don had an affair (pretty much every season he has had one). There is destructive behavior from Sally and Betty as usual. Peggy goes after one of the older employees. I felt nothing really happened until the finale. Most shows built up the finale, but the only decent thing about this season was the finale.

Don cant have been forced out of the firm as he is the only reason why the clients are there. He can get a job in any firm he wants and take the clients with him. All the other partners in the firm are too weak to get new clients. I dont think Pete is gay, but knows to stay out of other peoples business as he has done with Don.

This show hasnt made any real buzz in the media this year. Either this show will have an amazing final season or go down in history as one of those shows that peaked too early.

I disagree entirely. We have seen the biggest change in Don yet. We also see he's no longer untouchable. They always reference how everyone knows each other in the business. I wouldn't be so sure Don can get a great job easily.

The media is no indication of a great show. E.g. Arrested development. I mean months ago the media were creaming over Homeland and that season was the worst piece of **** i've ever seen. Can't wait for next season of Mad men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Aren't the ratings surprisingly low here and in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Addle wrote: »

Ratings don't make a good show. Look at the Wire and Arrested development.
    Mad men doesn't have the cheesy plot twists that casual viewers want. It's too slow paced.
    Also there's the factor of people watching online, not only because they cannot wait for it to be shown here but also the convenience.
    I also believe there's very little promotion done for the show here and there wasn't when it was first shown. People don't like to start watching a show from season 6 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I love the show. That's why I'm surprised by the ratings.
    I was putting the lack of publicity down to lack of general interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Could be piracy affecting those ratings, when Im getting mine from the Pirate Bay the main 480p and 720p episodes are nearly as well seeded as an episode of Game of Thrones and 50% of GoT viewership is pirates. Unscientific I know but every one of my friends watches it, male or female, nerds or whattever and they all download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

May be they should consider a Jedward cameo to give them a boost:)

Sadly the best TV is never going to be the most popular.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I thought they were low in the US too? Doesn't the infinitely inferior "Walking Dead" trounce it in the ratings? Both are on the same channel so it'd be comparable.

By the way is everyone forgetting the way Bob completely screwed Pete at Chevy? 'We'll pay for that...' Great moment and I'm starting to like him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maybe don will have to clean up after bob when he threatens the company

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I still maintain they don't make enough use out of the women in this show. Maybe there are big things coming for Peggy after that shot of her in the chair, but I do think that any time Betty, Joan or Peggy in particular are involved in a storyline, it's a better show.

Looking forward to seeing where they go with the Bob Benson storyline though, he's very interesting. Good to see Don's choice of lifestyle starting to crack too, that life just wasn't sustainable and he's getting in touch with the reality of that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,645 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

brian_t wrote: »
    According to DigiGuide - Mad Men Season 6 starts on RTE2 on Tuesday 17th September @ 11.00pm

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :cool:

Yeah I just checked that and the new series does indeed start tomorrow night at 11pm on rte 2. Bloody hell had I not seen this on here I'd have completely missed that tomorrow night and possibly the whole season. Great job RTE on the promo. I mean at this stage I think I've seen ads for Damo & Ivor to the point of being brain washed but not one word about the best show that the have on their schedules.......absolute muppets.

They're unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've seen plenty of ads for Season 6 on RTE.

Advertisement