Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'God blessing' after a sneeze

Options
  • 23-01-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Is it ok to say 'God bless you' to an atheist after a sneeze?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Course it is.

If the person sneezes a second time you can then ask God what the hell he's playing at !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

No, I'm no longer on speaking terms with somebody who said that to me after sneezing.

I had previously warned them a couple of times not to do it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

qwert2 wrote: »

Only if it's Odin you're talking about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

came from the american indians belief that it was your soul trying to escape.. make of that as you will

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No, it's highly insulting. The correct thing to say when an atheist sneezes is "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ia!

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

qwert2 wrote: »
    and if they sneeze again does that mean they have a god allergy? :eek::pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Henlars67 wrote: »
    No, I'm no longer on speaking terms with somebody who said that to me after sneezing.

I hope you're joking.

Blocking other people from making refrences to God just bacause you don't believe in him is arrogant in the extreme.

If others believe in God thats up to them. If they want to say 'God bless you' to me after I sneeze, so be it.

I would never be so arrogant as to tell another person what they may or may not say.

My sarkometer is running low today BTW.

Lapin wrote: »
    I hope you're joking.

Nope.
    I'm pretty sure s/he was dead serious.
    No need to adjust your meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Henlars67 wrote: »

Oh for gods sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Everyone knows you say "God Bless You" when someone sneezes, and "God Bless Us and Keep Us Safe" when they do a smelly fart.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Nope.
    I'm pretty sure s/he was dead serious.

Well fuggit I'm changing my mind then.

OP Don't you fúckin dare ever say 'God Bless You' around these parts again.

Don't you know we atheists are a cranky lot hellbent on not believing in Heaven.

Pack up your crufixes and rosary beads and abroad with you. ;)

For next time Henlars:

e58f_sarcasm.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭_GOD_

I usually shout 'HAIL SATAN!'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

I like to stick my tongue out when I sneeze. It makes the poop noises.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

maximoose wrote: »
    I like to stick my tongue out when I sneeze. It makes the poop noises.

Is it wrong that I am seriously thinking of testing this?

OH ( a Theist) says that kind of 'God Bless' thing all the time - I usually let it slide unless she says 'ah, God bless you!' to me - then I growl deep in my throat with a hint of a snarl.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Penn wrote: »
    Everyone knows you say "God Bless You" when someone sneezes, and "God Bless Us and Keep Us Safe" when they do a smelly fart.
    Personally, I prefer muttering "Jesus Christ" after hearing somebody fart or belch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I say nothing to anyone who sneezes. Over the course of a day their body performs a massive number of natural functions and processes. I do not comment on, or draw attention to any of them. I do not walk past them and go "Good blink man!" or "Keep up the good digestion brother!" or "ooo breathing... niiiiiiice".

So why do so with sneezing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

came from the american indians belief that it was your soul trying to escape.. make of that as you will

Didn't it come from one of the early popes during an outbreak of bubonic plague? Sneezing was thought to be the first sign of infection so he decreed if someone sneezes they should be literally blessed.
    At least that's what I remember reading in my Granda's Ireland's Own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I generally say "Cover your damn mouth" when ever someone sneezes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Didn't it come from one of the early popes during an outbreak of bubonic plague? Sneezing was thought to be the first sign of infection so he decreed if someone sneezes they should be literally blessed.

According to wiki, it's pretty common in a lot of world cultures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responses_to_sneezing

I say gesundheit when my baby sneezes, it always makes him smile. I might try out a another international responses next time. Million Dollars sounds like a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

My Gran told me the same thing, it was originally "God Bless us" - and keep us safe from that sneezing bag of disease - I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

My mum used to joke and say "Bless us and save us, it's not Mrs. Davis".

We were all scared of Mrs. Davis down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Jogathon wrote: »

We were all scared of Mrs. Davis down the road.

Did she have bubonic plague?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I prefer when people just say nothing when i sneeze, thats what i do.
    Theres no reason to say anything really. what do you say when someone coughs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Personally I prefer the Spanish system for sneezes, far better for the non-religious. First sneeze gets the response of Salud! (health), second wishes them money (Dinero!) while the third hopes that they'll find love (Amor!). Don't think there's any more for the fourth & subsequent sneezes, apart perhaps from "Callate!" (shut up!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I just say Gesundheit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Jogathon wrote: »

Mine used to say "Bless us and... shave us and give us a hair cut". Think she may have lifted it from one of the comedic singers of the time though. Don't think she came up with it herself. Perhaps someone here recognizes the source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

iguana wrote: »
    According to wiki, it's pretty common in a lot of world cultures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responses_to_sneezing

I say gesundheit when my baby sneezes, it always makes him smile. I might try out a another international responses next time. Million Dollars sounds like a good one.

An American friend told me that you're supposed to say geseundheit (health) on the first sneeze, schönheit (beauty) on the second, and glück (happiness) on the third, so it's always best to sneeze in threes.

Mind you, this has been denied by several German friends.

Advertisement