Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Achoo"..."?"

Options
  • 08-06-2012 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

In my line of work I often find myself in 1 to 1 meetings with people I don't know very well, or in small groups.

I was brought up being thought to say "god bless you" when someone sneezes, but haven't used that phrase in years. I have always felt awkward for a milli-second when someone sneezes and I don't acknowledge it - weird I know! Today, somebody was offended when I didn't "bless" them for sneezing!

How do others find that situation, and has anyone a nice way around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

GESUNDHEIT!!

Edit: It means "Good health" in Deutsch, I believe it translates the same into Hebrew as was – or maybe that's bull...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Meh, Gesundheit? But really it's only an everyday figure of speech so bless you and may fortune smile upon you.

'Night.

Edit : Darn you Nailz, you beat me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'm sorry :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I say the same as when they cough or hiccup...nothing - but then I wasn't raised saying god bless you.

I don't think you should get overly worked up about saying it or not - it's as much a local (globally speaking) cultural reference as it is religious...but if someone actually gets offended that others don't leap to ensure ethereal blessings are made upon their base bodily functions then it's just as an advertisement of how parochially ignorant they are...I wouldn't get worked up about that either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Just say " I give you my blessing " and smile.

Explain to them that you are giving them your blessing. A token gesture, just to let them know that they have your blessing and can feel comfortable sneezing in your company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I don't say anything, I just ignore it when someone else sneezes.

I always feel a bit awkward, though, when I sneeze, and someone else says "God bless you." Is there an appropriate response to that? Should I say "Thank you" or something? :o

"Excuse you" accompanied with a glare.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Especially if they fail to sneeze into their elbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

"Would you like a tissue?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

"bless you", it's a meaningless reflex, like many well worn phrases it's lost all previous connotations. Saying nothing seems aloof and rude, "excuse you" is an option if you want to be pedantic, anything else is, in my opinion, a tad ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

"bless you", it's a meaningless reflex, like many well worn phrases it's lost all previous connotations. Saying nothing seems aloof and rude, "excuse you" is an option if you want to be pedantic, anything else is, in my opinion, a tad ridiculous.

Why is it rude to say nothing, though?

It's not as though I'm trying to take some stand against religion by doing so ... it just doesn't come naturally to me to say anything, and saying "God bless you" would seem a bit forced and stupid, when it seems to me to be such a pointless thing to say!

Same as if someone coughs or if their stomach rumbles or similar ... I think that the polite thing to do is to ignore it. Let them excuse themselves if they want to.

The concept of "blessing" someone in response to them sneezing seems completely bizarre, and I find it uncomfortable when it's done to me! Which is probably why I'm not inclined to do it to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

It's not as though I'm trying to take some stand against religion by doing so ... it just doesn't come naturally to me to say anything, and saying "God bless you" would seem a bit forced and stupid, when it seems to me to be such a pointless thing to say!

Same as if someone coughs or if their stomach rumbles or similar ... I think that the polite thing to do is to ignore it. Let them excuse themselves if they want to.

The concept of "blessing" someone in response to them sneezing seems completely bizarre, and I find it uncomfortable when it's done to me! Which is probably why I'm not inclined to do it to others.

Its something got to do with your heart stopping when you sneeze. You technically die for that instant. I'm not sure weather that is scientifically true. But I believe thats where the saying originates...

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Its something got to do with your heart stopping when you sneeze. You technically die for that instant. I'm not sure weather that is scientifically true. But I believe thats where the saying originates...

various ideas behind the origin of saying bless you after sneezing. I was told it was to stop a persons soul from being sneezed out of their body:D

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

imfml wrote: »
    In my line of work I often find myself in 1 to 1 meetings with people I don't know very well, or in small groups.

I was brought up being thought to say "god bless you" when someone sneezes, but haven't used that phrase in years. I have always felt awkward for a milli-second when someone sneezes and I don't acknowledge it - weird I know! Today, somebody was offended when I didn't "bless" them for sneezing!

How do others find that situation, and has anyone a nice way around it?

they've little enough to be worrying about if that offends them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Literally yesterday a Polish chick said that to me & with great stride did I whip out some Bertrand Russell:
    Dangers were held to lurk at every turn. Devils would settle on the food that monks were about to eat, and would take possession of the bodies of incautious feeders who omitted to make the sign of the Cross before each mouthful. Old-fashioned people still say "bless you" when one sneezes, but they have forgotten the reason for the custom. The reason was that people were thought to sneeze out their souls, and before their souls could get back lurking demons were apt to enter the unsouled body; but if any one said "God bless you," the demons were frightened off.
    http://www.personal.kent.edu/~rmuhamma/Philosophy/RBwritings/outIntellectRubbish.htm
    only to be humoured until I'd stopped speaking :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Finally a bit of common sense being shown in a bizarre thread. What ever you do folks, don't look up the etymology of goodbye...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

"bless you", it's a meaningless reflex, like many well worn phrases it's lost all previous connotations. Saying nothing seems aloof and rude

I don't say anything and I disagree that it seems rude.
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    What ever you do folks, don't look up the etymology of goodbye...

I wouldn't say that either.
    I prefer - see you later.

It's not some hardened anti-religion decision, was more a case of they just gradually slipped away.
    Language evolves - it would make sense that non religious people would gradually cease to use some words and phrases of religious origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Finally a bit of common sense being shown in a bizarre thread. What ever you do folks, don't look up the etymology of goodbye...

I'm struggling to think of a time I have/would ever have cause to say goodbye...some of the language related to religion is, much like religion, just quite antiquated and lots of alternatives now exist which are actually more common parlance - the evolution of language, if you will. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

People sitting in front of you are probably hard at work digesting, creating excrement, producing sweat, coughing, Metabolizing extremely complex reactions to extract energy from ATP or store it in same, and much much more.

I never feel the need to comment on any of their other bodily functions in other words, so I never feel the need to make an exception when they sneeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zamboni wrote: »
    I don't say anything and I disagree that it seems rude.

Agreed. I don't say something when someone coughs (unless they don't cover their mouth) or when someone yawns, or if someone starts to hiccup. For what reason would you say something when someone sneezes? I know it's just something which has evolved in our culture, but I just see no reason to say anything. Not even because of my religious stance, but just... I don't see why you should say anything? It's just a sneeze. Bodily reaction. It's done. You've survived. Carry on. Not a big deal, happens to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I do say "bless" but then again I say "Dia Dhuit" too when meeting people.
    Just something you say like.. doesn't mean I subscribe to anything.
    I think the bless is from old days when apparently they thought sneezing was evil leaving the body or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Dia linn, is the response as Gaelige to a sneeze; mumbled quickly, it becomes Dingaling. Nobody has ever asked me why I say Dingaling to a sneeze. :D

(Oh, and I say, Lá mhaith instead of Dia dhuit, or a quick Conas atá tú?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"Science cure you."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Don't need to go to German as an alternative why not just use "Sláinte" when they sneeze?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Because "slainte" is the equivalent of "cheers" as a toast prior to drinking? I say gesundheit, I like the sound of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Don't think I can seriously respond to this. Tell the person, 'The force is clearly strong in you. May the force be with you....'

*Gets coat.....*

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

This is actually something I've become very aware of since I started working for a big multi-national.

The Germans on my team all say gazuntite and no one bats and eyelid, but everyone else (UK/IRL) say 'Bless You'.

Aside from the religious issue of people blessing me, mostly I just ignore when people sneeze (and edge away from them in case it's contagious), but I do get filthy looks and then when I sneeze the girl who sits beside me sardonically says 'Bless You'.

I've only ever had problems with one person, who asked me why I didn't 'bless her' when she sneezed, I just said I was uncomfortable with the phrase and the implied religiousness. Next time I sneezed she said 'Bless you. Especially as you don't believe.'

People are crazy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I use the French phrase - á tes souhaits, which means 'to your wishes'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I use the French phrase - á tes souhaits, which means 'to your wishes'.

say that quick enough and someone will be responding with bless you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I usually scream "jesus f*ck what the crap was that?"

Advertisement