Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies won't give quote

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Erepa

Scortho wrote: »
    Erepa your best bet if open drive doesn't work out is to get 3 refusals to quote and then as far as I know they have to provide you with a quote. As she now has at least 5 penalty points her policy will have increased to reflect this. See the bottom of this: http://www.nca.ie/nca/car-insurance#refused

She has gotten of lightly considering she could have got a 6 month prison term and banned from driving for 1 year.

We are working on it.
    It seems rather odd that the penalty for driving with no insurance makes it much harder to get insurance. She was penalised for no insurance, this has no bearing on how likely she is to have an accident.
    In the course of making enquiries I have come across a few people in similar situations who claim to have not told insurance companies about points and carried on driving. It would be a disaster if they did have an accident of course as this would invalidate their cover but the way the system is tends to push people towards these kind of choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Erepa wrote: »
    It seems rather odd that the penalty for driving with no insurance makes it much harder to get insurance. She was penalised for no insurance, this has no bearing on how likely she is to have an accident..

Insurers treat previous convictions for driving without insurance as very very serious incidents. In their eyes, it demonstrates a reluctance/disdain for the principle of responsible behaviour. In other words, it is a moral hazard. It is also likely that people who drive without insurance, do so because they find it unaffordable due to problems in the past which are not being disclosed.

It can (and does happen) that any one of use can make a bad judgement call while in possession of a car. We can speed at the wrong moment, overtake where we shouldn't or lose concentration for a second and cause an accident. Driving without insurance is a pre-meditated action and this (in insurers eyes) profiles you as the type of insured they would prefer not to have to defend in any future claim where liability is disputed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

We are working on it.
    It seems rather odd that the penalty for driving with no insurance makes it much harder to get insurance. She was penalised for no insurance, this has no bearing on how likely she is to have an accident.
    In the course of making enquiries I have come across a few people in similar situations who claim to have not told insurance companies about points and carried on driving. It would be a disaster if they did have an accident of course as this would invalidate their cover but the way the system is tends to push people towards these kind of choices.

Of course it will impact it. Its an offence to drive without insurance and the insurers as previously posted are assessing the risk and as far as they are concerned your OH is higher risk as she has shown previous issues with following the road traffic laws. Definitely a big issue and rightly makes it more difficult.

Not telling the insurance company about points is as good as not having the insurance. Have some respect for others on the road and dont do this. The system does not push towards this, your partner's mistake has pushed your mind towards this stupid idiotic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mel123

People end up doing what they have to do to get by

I sincerely hope this doesnt mean that your wife is going to drive without insurance.

While putting out feelers on this thread I was pursuing another approach that has just worked out for us. In a fit of desperation I contacted the Insurance Industry Federation not really expecting anything because I assumed with a name like that it could not be there to support the consumer rather to protect the industry.
    Happily in this case, I was wrong. I spoke with a very helpful gentleman who informed me that;
    • insurance companies are obliged to give quotes
    • my partner's original company was in the wrong for refusing to renew her policy. Their mistake, they've lost our business now.
    I filled him in with the details of our case including my partners previous 6 years of unbroken insurance with no claims, convictions etc and my 9 years ncb no convictions etc. (Take note any posters casting aspersions on our driving ability, morals, sense of social responsibility etc).
    He then contacted the company for us who then got back on to us and asked us for more details. After a day or two they contacted us again and gave us a quote to put my partner down as named driver for about e80. Not too bad, we took it. Sorted.
    My thanks go out to the fella who helped us in the IIF. I'd recommend anyone in a similar situation giving them a try.

• Advertisement

My question now is; why did every company we contacted up to that point refuse to quote us when in actual fact they had no right to do this? What are they playing at?

I accept that there needs to be some form of insurance to cover road accidents etc but the industry in its present form is too powerful and exercises a stranglehold over consumers. They play a role similar to banks in that we need them and they use this need to get away with stuff.
    There is a very dark side to the insurance industry that has a subtle but corrosive affect on society
    I predict that in the coming years similar corruption will be revealed in the insurance industry as we have now thankfully begun to see in the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

You've been misinformed by the iif. No one is obliged to quote you but if you get 3 letters of declinature then the last person your partner was insured with has to provide you with a quote as the "insurer concerned". However there's no guarantee that price has to be reasonable!

peteb2 wrote: »
    You've been misinformed by the iif. No one is obliged to quote you but if you get 3 letters of declinature then the last person your partner was insured with has to provide you with a quote as the "insurer concerned". However there's no guarantee that price has to be reasonable!
    Hi Pete, did you not read my last post. We got the result we wanted based on the advice and help of the IIF. That to me indicates that the info they gave is accurate. Or at least accurate enough for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

i did read your original post. And i also read post number 37. People look back on old posts and just want to ensure the correct info is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

My question now is; why did every company we contacted up to that point refuse to quote us when in actual fact they had no right to do this? What are they playing at?

I accept that there needs to be some form of insurance to cover road accidents etc but the industry in its present form is too powerful and exercises a stranglehold over consumers. They play a role similar to banks in that we need them and they use this need to get away with stuff.
    There is a very dark side to the insurance industry that has a subtle but corrosive affect on society
    I predict that in the coming years similar corruption will be revealed in the insurance industry as we have now thankfully begun to see in the banks.

After reading this thread, I think the answer to your question would be obvious to most reasonable law abiding people. Your conspiracy theories are utter nonsense. If you cannot cope with the responsibilities, do not drive, it is that simple.

• Advertisement

After reading this thread, I think the answer to your question would be obvious to most reasonable law abiding people. Your conspiracy theories are utter nonsense. If you cannot cope with the responsibilities, do not drive, it is that simple.

So treat me as a simple child and explain it to me then.

Get back to me on it in a few years if you like. A few years ago a lot of people would have called one a conspiracy theorist for predicting the current financial mess we find ourselves in.

As to my responsibilities I suggest you read back over my posts to the bit where I mention 9 years NCB etc.

Actually I'd be happy not to drive if we lived in a country with a sane transport system

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This has more than run it's course. Erepa, if you post on the Internet, you don't just get to deal with the responses that tell you what you want to hear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement