Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...one squat at a time

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Paddy's bars?

Thanks SB, I know of them alright but I'm more looking for things I can do by myself as I'm not looking to join any groups etc.

Back Rehab stuff, then

Push ups
    x30
    x20
    x10

Chin ups,green band
    x12
    x12
    x12
    x10
    x8

Split squats unweighted
    5x10 each side

Plank
    60sec x 2
    Side plank
    30sec x 2 each side

Crosstrainer 20min

Oh and I did this by tripping over my own foot, because I'm a fcuking eejit. I've broken that toe twice already, third time lucky..not!

..... +Yes, I have abnormally long toes.

Legs weak as piss today. Serious glute/hams DOMS which is a bit mad considering all I did were unweighted split squats.

Rehab stretches

Push ups
    x20
    x20
    x20

Chin ups green band
    x12
    x12
    x12
    x10
    x5

Split squats
    5x10 each Side

Tricep dips elevated
    3x10

Plank
    60sec x 2

Then I decided to try spinning.... won't be doing that again.

F my actual life...MY FUUCKING ASS IS ON FIRE.

image.png

• Advertisement

Moved house, had other stuff going on. Was feeling fat as fcuk so cut out wheat again this week, feeling a bit less bloated already. Nice one.

Did a home workout this morn

8rounds of
    Push upsx10
    Squatsx15
    Crunchesx20

The goal was not to break myself. Succeeded :)

I need some kind of program+goals or I'm just gonna drag my ass around doing **** all. So ****ing limited now though. I'm very all of nothing, right now I'm on the wrong side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

*ahem* don't forget band pull aparts and rows ;)

...last thing you need is ****ed up shoulders!

Hanley wrote: »
    *ahem* don't forget band pull aparts and rows ;)

...last thing you need is ****ed up shoulders!

Ah yes..oops..

You can add them in to my awesome new prog ;) My physio stuff includes Shoulder Retraction and Thoracic Rotation stretches so haven't totally neglected them!

Back training. I've had a lot of personal sh1t that's knocked me out of the game and the disc thing on top of that was a bit of a balls to say that least. But today I'm determined to be more positive about getting fitter and stronger over the next few months.

I've listened to the physio but I've also done alot of reading on degenerative disc issues to educate myself on exactly what I'm dealing with. The jist of it is, I figure my disc is going to get worse whether I train or not. The issue I need to be careful about is the nerve compression - my left leg is fcuked, i.e. constant pain, re-occurring dead leg, pins and needles and basically weak as piss.
    So although I'm back training, I'm training smart.

Went out to Hanley last week and worked out what I can/can't do and he's put together a prog to work around that. I'll be doing my physio rehab before each session also. The physio also suggested clinical pilates to strengthen my core, but I've decided to use my gym sessions to work on my core instead. Same outcome, different method.

Goal at the moment is to lean up as I've put on 3kg and god knows what my BF is, H checked but I don't want to know. Strength wise, I won't really know where I'm at for a few weeks.

Day 1
    Warm up: Physio Rehab

Training:

8 mins (concentrate on movements not rounds)
    Pull ups, green band - x5
    Step downs (knee height) x 3 e/s

Density block
    10 min( many rounds as poss)
    Push ups x 6
    Ring Rows x 8
    Air Squats x 10 (v.controlled)
    9 rounds in 10.38

Core work
    Plank 5x30sec
    Pallof hold 5x30sec

Cardio
    Crosstrainer - 20min

Was great to have the lovely SB for company too :)

Most likely going to do Day 2 on Wednesday. I was going to do it today but that session on Saturday really wiped me out and my legs are still pretty fcuked. The aim is to train x3 a week so I think the best thing for now is to space the sessions out as well as I can and see how I go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Meet your sister. I'm walking real funny.

I'm walking real funny.

Must.not.....

:pac:

This session is all a bit jumbled up so bear with me, main thing is it's all there albeit not in the right order!

Warm up -physio rehab

Training

8mins of:
    Chin ups green band (knee)x3
    Spilt squats x3 each side

- this was a fcuker, my leg was weak as fck and my foot kept cramping. Was all set to just give up and go home after it but happened to check my email in the changing room and Hanley had just emailed me - so the conscience set in and I decided to at least do a stint on the crosstrainer.

Crosstrainer - 20min

- THEN I said **** it I'd do the density block when I'd got that far...

Density block - 10 min
    Rings hold - 10sec
    Kneeling rows with green band x 10 e/s
    Reverse lunges x10 e/s
    7 rounds in 10:45

Was meant to be a 4min HIIT session on the bike there but was a class on upstairs.

So not a great day and not a great session but I stuck it out so I figure that's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Ah fair play on going back in! usually when I'm gone, I'm gone!!!

Enlighten me...I think I know what they are, but I've seen a few versions whilst googling...

Split squats???

Ah fair play on going back in! usually when I'm gone, I'm gone!!!

Enlighten me...I think I know what they are, but I've seen a few versions whilst googling...

Split squats???

I do them with one leg behind me on the bench. If that makes sense!

No training today, off work sick. On top of that my apt was broken into yesterday and laptop is gone :(

Sucky day sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

TheBellJar wrote: »
    I do them with one leg behind me on the bench. If that makes sense!

No training today, off work sick. On top of that my apt was broken into yesterday and laptop is gone :(

Sucky day sucks.

Ouchy! That's a deep burn! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭COH

Jesus Gra you really do have the worst luck out of anyone I've ever met! Fully expect your next post to include..

- piano fell out of my neighbours window onto my foot. Foot gone.
    - apartment hit by lightning and exploded
    - got kidnapped on way to work... am now in Albania, no good gyms in Albania

Warm up: physio rehab

8mins of
    Pull ups green band 3-5
    Step ups x5 e/s

Density block 10min
    Push ups x3 @0X3 tempo
    Split squats c 8 e/s
    9 rounds
    - was also meant to include chin upsx3 and I forgot cause it was in the next page.. Didn't dawn on me I had no pull in the block!

RKC plank 5x10sec
    Pallof hold 5x30sec - switched to the hold because I was doing the presses wrong and they felt weird!

Crosstrainer:20min .

Leg held up til halfway through the crosstrainer which was good going!:)

Also, I'm pretty sure the wee smartass who told me I needed less leg and more lat work is a boardsie so reveal yourself!! :D

Training
    8 min of
    Pull ups x5
    Step downs x 5 e/s

- big difference with the step downs today, leg was so shaky last time I barely got 3reps but they were grand today!

Density block 12min
    Push upsx6
    Ring rowsx8
    Air squatsx10
    12 rounds in 11.57

-will need to be more careful with form on the ring rows, must have jolted myself up on the last rep because I got a sharp pain on my lower back.

Core
    Plank 5x30sec
    Pallof hold 5x30sec

Crosstrainer
    20min

Training
    8min of:
    Chin ups (green band, bend at knee) x 5
    Split squats 30X0 tempo. x 8 e/s

-Chin ups moved up to 5 reps from 3 last time. Started failing on the last set though so had to break it up to 3 and 2.
    -Split squats moved up to 8 reps from 3 last time and my leg/back was grand.

Density block 12min
    Rings hold - 10sec
    Half kneeling row w/ green band x10 e/s
    Reverse lunges x10 e/s
    11 rounds

- the rings hold has got so much easier already! I'm able to lift myself up higher too and I'm not all shaky on them :)

Core
    Plank 30sec x 5

Crosstrainer
    20min

Good session :)

• Advertisement

Had a setback with a personal issue so haven't been in the gym since Monday, but I made myself go today because I've set myself a benchmark of a min of 2 sessions a week. Glad I stuck to that now.

Training
    8mins of
    Pull ups green band x5
    Step ups x8 e/s

Density block 15min
    Push ups x3 @0X3 tempo
    Chin ups x3 green band
    Split squats x 8 e/s
    10 rounds
    - did this in 15.28, was meant to be a 12 min block but pushed it out to 15.

RKC plank 5x10sec
    Pallof hold 5x30sec

Crosstrainer:20min .

Messing on the rings:
    Tried putting the rings up a bit higher and pulling my knees up to my belly for the ring holds - did a few like that for 10-20 secs each. I didn't know what I was at tbh, just wanted to see if I could do anything more on them.

I tried to get in another workblock after that but knew I was pushing it after the first round of squats so left it be.

Progress with disc sh1te
    My leg was being a bitch today, not painful but v.shaky/weak. More annoying than anything else just. The bodyweight circuits are leaving me as ****ed as my weights circuits used to, but I'm still determined to start adding in some dumb bells soon. The physio's logic against them til my nerve **** started improving was that picking up the weight was the danger, not the actual exercise. But the way I also see it is that I could do my back in picking up a bag at this stage, so the point seems a little debatable. He also wanted me to do pilates like I've said here before, but I'm not into classes and there's little chance of me doing it; also read up on it and it's effects on DDD and I'm not convinced, so I decided to work the ab stuff into my programme, which Hanley has done for me with the core block. The way I see it, the physio and the MRI has told me what the problem is - but I'm the only person who can work out what my limitations are and I can only work that out by pushing them. So I'm going to keep doing that until I manage to work with some weight again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You've one of the best physios in the city looking after you. And he's not exactly conservative/unnecessarily cautious in my experience either.

So if he's saying not to do something, I probably wouldn't.

Hanley wrote: »
    You've one of the best physios in the city looking after you. And he's not exactly conservative/unnecessarily cautious in my experience either.

So if he's saying not to do something, I probably wouldn't.

Jesus I was trying to be optimistic. I'm not doing anything I'm not meant to be doing. I have followed the rules and I have listened to him and listens to you and I have repeatedly said how good I think he is. Don't dare make out I am undermining anyone.

But right, I won't try to be positive about the whole ****ed up situation anymore.

I'm done posting this sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭COH

TheBellJar wrote: »
    Jesus I was trying to be optimistic

Relax - nobody is trying to take the wind out of your sails
    I'm not doing anything I'm not meant to be doing

No, but you did mention that you were planning on doing just that! I thnk that's the point James was referring to.
    I have followed the rules and I have listened to him and listens to you and I
    have repeatedly said how good I think he is. Don't dare make out I am
    undermining anyone.

Again - I'm pretty sure he was only referring to you being determined to incorporate loading into certain movements when your physio recommended otherwise.
    But right, I won't try to be positive about the whole ****ed up situation anymore.

I'm done posting this sh1t.

Its Monday morning, take a few deep breathes, have another coffee and continue to log your rehab :) Pilates might not be the worst idea, the problem with taking control of your own rehab is that if you incorporate things into training you (like most people) will inevitable gravitate towards things they enjoy doing and are better at. You know what the problem is, MRI and physio reports in hand - but I wouldn't be so certain that the only person that can accurately assess your limitations is yourself. James and whoever is doing your rehab protocols can probably see a hell of a lot more going on then you can.

RE: Loading. Bear in mind that your progress is going to come in different phases. The first being reduction in pain and restoration of baseline movement. This is as much about getting through sessions pain free as it is about being progressive with loading.

Once you get to a point when you have accumulated X amount of time ticking those boxes you should start addressing loading and pushing ahead with a more aggressive rehab protocol.

After those two steps are complete then the sky is the limit - but there's no set amount of time either will take. So, yes you are currently doing the right things under the guidance of the right people. The most important thing you can do now is to not change a thing!

Long story short - relax > don't press the retard button > profit

• Registered Users Posts: 1 toreply

Look.

I was not saying I was going to go and start deadlifting tomorrow. I was saying that I was going to work towards being able to do some kind of weight training in future, which the physio DID say may be possible, albeit not heavy lifting.

I have tried to educate myself on this. I have read about what has worked for people and what hasn't worked. I am not talking out of my hole. I am trying to be positive. If I said fcuk it there's no point in trying, then you'd all have something to say about that too.

I do believe that I am best equipped to know how far I can push myself. I HAVE listened and will continue to listen to what the physio said and the MRI results. However, classes aren't for me and the mentality of thinking 'I can never lift again' isn't for me. That doesn't help and it's not beneficial to any of the sh1t I have going on myself. I had a fcuker of a week and it took a hell of alot to go and train on Sunday. I had a good day because of that, because I was fcuking proud of myself for that.

I was trying to be optimistic about the situation and I got shot down. That is not cool. I posted here for support, not that sh1t. I stopped posting here before for good reason and I've remembered why, so I won't be doing it anymore.

Thank you, for taking the time to comment and I do appreciate it. But I wasn't over reacting and I meant what I said.

Also, can someone please lock this thread?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Ah here, don't stop posting. I was quite interested to see what sort of progress you could make with your disc condition. I'm sure there's many other people who are interested in seeing your progress as well. I don't think anyone was hating on you for being positive or trying to get back to weight training. I think people are just saying be patient and don't rush things.

Advertisement