Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

muffler wrote: »
    Whats your download cap?

Unlimited.

They offered me 24meg with 30GB allowance for 45 a month as well as a multitude of other similar packages but I persisted in asking for them to match Sky as best they could.

We settled on 24meg unlimited w/ free 7pm to 7am calls for 45 a month.

Chanced my arm in asking them for a free cordless phone , no joy.

The lady did also mention that because Im with eMobile I can get both of my bills together in one and that I could get further savings if I did so.

Worth a call on Tuesday anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Unlimited.

They offered me 24meg with 30GB allowance for 45 a month as well as a multitude of other similar packages but I persisted in asking for them to match Sky as best they could.

We settled on 24meg unlimited w/ free 7pm to 7am calls for 45 a month.

Chanced my arm in asking them for a free cordless phone , no joy.

The lady did also mention that because Im with eMobile I can get both of my bills together in one and that I could get further savings if I did so.

Worth a call on Tuesday anyways

Ooohh, wow, 30GB! That could last you all of two days. Seriously, I would flip the lid if a broadband company offered me that as I would find it an insult to my intelligence. They must have though you were some moron who couldn't tell the difference between a gigabyte and a gig at a music festival. The audacity of them offering such a shit cap at this day and age, especially with Sky offering unlimited and stealing all their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ooohh, wow, 30GB! That could last you all of two days.
    He did say thats what was offered initially but it wasn't what he settled on which was unlimited.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just spoke to sky again on the phone,2nd time today.
    Guy this morning telling me my line cant go past 6-7 mb yet eircom,vodafone,magnet have all confirmed up to 24 mb with expected speed of 15-17 mb plus a friend who only got sky this week further from the exchange than me is getting 14 mb.
    Guy this afternoon when i pushed him and told him im well pissed off and if they cant match those speeds of other providers using the same exchange ill be cancelling he said he ran two tests on two different systems? one said 7mb the other said 15-16 mb.
    He said further that there must be an issue their end and he will escalate it.

Another friend who joined sky the same time as me having the exact same issue as myself rand and was told eircom were blocking sky accessing the full speed of the exchange.

WTF are we the customers supposed to believe?

Ive never seen as bad customer support as sky in my life.
    You wouldnt believe the issues i had with them when i joined up in jan.
    The bloody idiots made a second account for my bb seperate from my existing sky tv account of many years and this caused all sorts of problems.
    Countless calls, nobody had a clue what was going on,it took 2 weeks of calls every day to get it sorted and even now im still getting bills for a closed account via email and the post.
    You just couldnt make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ooohh, wow, 30GB! That could last you all of two days. Seriously, I would flip the lid if a broadband company offered me that as I would find it an insult to my intelligence. They must have though you were some moron who couldn't tell the difference between a gigabyte and a gig at a music festival. The audacity of them offering such a shit cap at this day and age, especially with Sky offering unlimited and stealing all their customers.

ya the 30GB offer was funny tbh, she checked my previous usage and said "oh deary me, 30GB wouldnt last you very long" :D
    He did say thats what was offered initially but it wasn't what he settled on which was unlimited.

Indeed.

I will say the lady I was dealing with was well aware of the Sky offer and once I mentioned I had already been in contact with SKY she asked me would I consider staying with Eircom if they offered better terms. I knew then I had 'em.

She also put me on hold before each and every offer she made to me. I guess she was talking to management to get the ok.

Perseverance is required to sit and listen to their sales talk but once you are single minded and know what you want you can easily agree better terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I have spent ages waiting on the line to cancel sky BB. They obviously give the worst attention to the people who are totally disatified with the service they never delivered. Is there an email address where I can use to cancel. I have given up waiting for them to answer the bloody phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Whats your download cap?
    500GB is the cap on their "best seller".

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sweeneyk

Not sure if this is a myth put out by Eircom, but allegedly the Phonewatch system will not support IP phone services such as Sky's new service. When I got contacted by Sky about it (am a current Sky TV customer, but phone & boradband is with Eircom, as is Phonewatch) they said that as far as they know Phonewatch wouldn't work (ie not alert the monitoring centre) - maybe set your alarm off and see if they ring :-)

I'd be very interested in knowing - as it's still a great deal compared to Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

It will its a myth epw don't like the UPC set up cause if the power cuts you have no phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Has anyone successfully got call answering (voice mailbox) removed recently? We have an answering phone which I want to use but Sky's one is active. I rang them and they are having issues with their call management services. I have caller ID active though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Busted21

sweeneyk wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a myth put out by Eircom, but allegedly the Phonewatch system will not support IP phone services such as Sky's new service. When I got contacted by Sky about it (am a current Sky TV customer, but phone & boradband is with Eircom, as is Phonewatch) they said that as far as they know Phonewatch wouldn't work (ie not alert the monitoring centre) - maybe set your alarm off and see if they ring :-)

I'd be very interested in knowing - as it's still a great deal compared to Eircom

Hi I'm a sky broadband and telephone customer and I'm also an eircom monitored alarm customer so I'll set off my alarm as a test and see what happens and ill post up the results

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Busted21

Has anyone successfully got call answering (voice mailbox) removed recently? We have an answering phone which I want to use but Sky's one is active. I rang them and they are having issues with their call management services. I have caller ID active though.

Hi yeah I had it removed I just rang them up and they removed it for me no hassle at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Just took the plunge, ordered Sky BB.
    Vodafone man said cancellation fee would only be €17 so happy days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

sweeneyk wrote: »

Absoute Myth. Have PW and have Sky BB/Phone and system works perfectly. Last week had alarm activated on two occasions and no problem. Had the PW service engineer out for the annual checkup a month ago and all working perfectly. No problems with the 2 systems communicating with each other

I ordered yesterday. How long did it take for you all to get sorted? From start to finish whats the ballpark of how long its gonna take~?

I ordered yesterday. How long did it take for you all to get sorted? From start to finish whats the ballpark of how long its gonna take~?
    Anyone got any comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Nothing will happen for the first six days as that' a cooling off period.
    Sky will then send you a letter & things should happen quite quickly after that.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Nothing will happen for the first six days as that' a cooling off period.
    Sky will then send you a letter & things should happen quite quickly after that.
    Alright is that 6 business days or just 6 days? Really anxious to be rid of Voda's download limit. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I would say six working days.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I would say six working days.

Okay so I ordered on the 8th so if my maths is correct everything should get started around the 16th? Thanks again.
    Edit: I failed so badly at that maths xD
    Someone put me out of my misery!

• Advertisement

Hope you are on an exchange that works unlike some of us

ClonNGB wrote: »
    Hope you are on an exchange that works unlike some of us
    I'm on the Carlow exchange which is LLU as I was offered eFibre on a trial basis, but I signed up to Sky before I was called so we'll see how it goes.

Sounds like you are in luck. I like the eFibre idea but it will be 2056 before it reaches West Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

I'm on the Carlow exchange which is LLU as I was offered eFibre on a trial basis, but I signed up to Sky before I was called so we'll see how it goes.
    if u still have the cooling off period what dont u take the efiber trial it would be a lot better than sky

ClonNGB wrote: »
    Sounds like you are in luck. I like the eFibre idea but it will be 2056 before it reaches West Cork!
    Let's hope so! I'll have eFibre to fall back one if Sky doesn't work out.
    Sky has fairly slow speeds but is unlimited,
    eFibre has great speeds but is as far as i know limited..
    We'll see anyway however it goes.
    Thanks for your replies btw ;)

naughto wrote: »
    if u still have the cooling off period what dont u take the efiber trial it would be a lot better than sky
    Yeah, at the moment I'm going with Sky but I might end up leaving Sky and taking the eFibre trial. Just waiting to try Sky now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Worth getting in Tallaght? My Broadband is muck atm:(

Let's hope so! I'll have eFibre to fall back one if Sky doesn't work out.
    Sky has fairly slow speeds but is unlimited,
    eFibre has great speeds but is as far as i know limited..
    We'll see anyway however it goes.
    Thanks for your replies btw ;)

Eircom have never charged anyone for going over the limit. Vodafone, I'm sure about them.

What's the limit on eFiber? I can guarantee you it's much higher than ADSL. You can shove more data down fiber optic lines than you can on copper - which is why we have these download caps in place.

Look at Sky for example: unlimited downloads and people's speeds suffer in the evening because of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Eircom have never charged anyone for going over the limit.

You sure about that? :pac:

My sister would tend to disagree with you, she's been charged a number of times for going over the cap on her eircom broadband package.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    You sure about that? :pac:

My sister would tend to disagree with you, she's been charged a number of times for going over the cap on her eircom broadband package.

Yeah, if you act the bollocks and download 50 GB or 100 GB over the cap, they'll charge you. Many boardies have mentioned that they've gone over the limit by a few GB and Eircom have never punished them - they will if you abuse it.

Digiweb sure do, or at least they did in 2006/07. I used to have 1 Mb and a 10 Gb cap, fuckers throttle your speed down to 10 kB/s when I went over it. Upgraded it to 2 Mb and they would throttle it to 20 kB/s. Really annoying.

Advertisement