Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suits.

Options
  • 19-01-2013 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭

Getting a new suit this week and I'm not sure to go old reliable plain suit or three-piece. Any suggestions from those well versed in all things stylish? :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Its for formal events :D My line of work does not require suits unfortunately :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If your budget can stretch to a 3 piece, then go for it. It can function as a regular 2 piece if you need to be more conservative, or indeed you can pair the waistcoat with a contrasting other suit or with more casual outfits. You don't have to only wear it as a 3 piece, but a 3 piece is sharp!

If your budget can stretch to a 3 piece, then go for it. It can function as a regular 2 piece if you need to be more conservative, or indeed you can pair the waistcoat with a contrasting other suit or with more casual outfits. You don't have to only wear it as a 3 piece, but a 3 piece is sharp!

Yeah see I've only ever worn a 3 piece once. But they do strike me as ridiculously dapper and I wouldn't mind having the waistcoat for the added option of 3 or 2 piece.

What are peoples views on vents and pleats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

I noticed a lot of people now wearing beige pants with suits. it looks pretty cool, perhaps you should consider that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Can you clarify what you mean by formal events? I'd go with side vents and flat front trousers, though small single pleats can be ok too, personal preference I guess.

I do think though that most younger men should avoid three pieces. It tends to look a bit contrived imo. This may not apply to you however.

Next upcoming one would be a ball. Have functions to attend occasionally family and otherwise, very occasional interview. Lets focus on the ball aspect :pac: If I go to a tailor and say make me look like James Bond. Does that work. This is my first Tailored suit.

Hmmmm, you see usually balls are formal, and technically formal means black tie. So you'd be under dressed at a formal ball in any kind of regular suit, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

awec wrote: »
    Double vent and front pleat. Think most trousers you will see with suits will be pleated.
    OpoQQ.jpg

Pleats no, no, nope. nope. nope.

OP sounds about twenties age not 50.

Google mens suits 2013 in Google images and try and find a front pleat. Try find a vent come to think of it.

Flat front pants, no or one vent.

Save the double vent and pleats for when you join the golf club.

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Next upcoming one would be a ball. Have functions to attend occasionally family and otherwise, very occasional interview. Lets focus on the ball aspect :pac: If I go to a tailor and say make me look like James Bond. Does that work. This is my first Tailored suit.

As baby and crumble said, balls and other occasions may state black tie/evening dress, in which case you'd look out of place. I could understand if it was a wedding or similiar occasion where you can suit yourself more. I would absolutely not turn up to an interview in a three piece suit, unless it was an interview for CEO of a large multinational. And even then, I'd err on the conservative side!

[QUOTE=MadsL;82768634[/QUOTE]

Google mens suits 2013 in Google images and try and find a front pleat. Try find a vent come to think of it.

Save the double vent and pleats for when you join the golf club.[/QUOTE]

I would agree on the pleats, I'm generally not a fan, though some people insist on them.

However, I think a ventless or centre vented suit would look awful. I don't like the way they skirt the hips (on ventless jackets anyway) and just prefer the drape of side vents.
    Hmm, maybe I'm wrong, but is pleat not just where the trouser is ironed so that it folds at the front when you aren't wearing it?

Eg: This to me is a front pleat?

Pleats, though one of the nicer examples of pleated trousers. Flat front beside them for comparison.

In the pic you linked, they're simply creases pressed in from ironing as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Whatever you do, make sure it fits your properly. Nothing worse than an oversized suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Whatever you do, make sure it fits your properly. Nothing worse than an oversized suit.

This this a million times this! I always laugh when I see guys on work experience wearing their dads suit - stands out a mile - looks like they are swimming in it!

Right lads today's the day. Wish us luck. After taking all the advice into consideration I think
    something basically along these lines is what you suggested?
    001234202-560x577.jpg

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Right lads today's the day. Wish us luck. After taking all the advice into consideration I think
    something basically along these lines is what you suggested?
    001234202-560x577.jpg

Perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

In the market for one of these soon unfortunately. Never got this hard-on some lads have for wearing a suit. They are ridiculous pieces of clothing.

Thinking a charcoal grey two button with single vent. I'm quite slim and average height, dark blond/fair hair.

It's for a wedding although I'll need it for my graduation and interviews.

In the market for one of these soon unfortunately. Never got this hard-on some lads have for wearing a suit. They are ridiculous pieces of clothing.

Thinking a charcoal grey two button with single vent. I'm quite slim and average height, dark blond/fair hair.

It's for a wedding although I'll need it for my graduation and interviews.

Can't go wrong colourwise with plain charcoal or plain navy. As above, I far prefer side vents but I would be interested to see if you can find many suits selling shops which have suits with centre vents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

+1

No off the rack suit will fit you 100%...make sure you bring it to a tailors after you buy it. The extra $50-$100 spent at the tailors can make the difference from a decent looking suit to looking like James Bond in a suit.

http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200608/how-to-buy-a-suit-slideshow#slide=1

MadsL wrote: »

Save the double vent and pleats for when you join the golf club.

Whats wrong with double vents?

• Advertisement

Good resource that.

Especially the shoulder comments. Though I'd say instead of being able to fit a fist between your stomach and your buttons on the jacket I'd go for 2 fingers at the most.

And definitely 2 button.

I think that comment in the article is a bit misleading. I think they were saying that the distance between your chest and the button shouldn't more than a fist, ensuring the first button isn't down by your belly button. Not the tightness of the suit.

As for the tightness of the suit, I agree with you. Standing up straight with the button closed, you shouldn't be able to put much more than two fingers between your chest and the suit, without straining the button.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Can someone tell me how much one would expect to spend for a reasonable/decent suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NickCork

the fit is the most important thing about a suit. pleats are folds in the front rise of the pants. awful horrible things!!!!!

3 piece are making a comback but it depends on your body shape and the fit of the suit as to wether you can pull it off or not

Can someone tell me how much one would expect to spend for a reasonable/decent suit?

Depends alot on where you shop and what material, I've found. Some places (like the place I bought from) offer lovely looking suits and tailored for a nominal extra fee for around the 200 mark but the material is a 70% poly blend. Doesnt deter me much but I know people really prefer 'good materials'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I'll be getting a three piece suit this weekend (or at least trying one on before getting it altered).

My budget would ideally be no more than €600/€650. It's not for work, it's more for events (non-formal/blacktie), i.e. dinners and such. Probably won't get much wear beyond once every 3/4 weeks at most. Probably a lot less frequently than that even.

I've a good idea what I want from the suit (thanks to this thread and others), but my question is where would the best place in Dublin be to go? I'll be spending a lot of money (I hope €650 still qualifies as a lot these days!) so I want a good consultation (probably the wrong word to use!) and I don't want to feel rushed into buying the first thing I try on. Just somewhere with really good service who understand the investment you're making, and with a good selection of three piece's as I'm quite picky, and preferably somewhere that will do the alterations for me and allow me to pick it up at a later date if need be. Any suggestions would be very welcome, as would sharing your own experiences. Thanks :)

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I'll be getting a three piece suit this weekend (or at least trying one on before getting it altered).

My budget would ideally be no more than €600/€650. It's not for work, it's more for events (non-formal/blacktie), i.e. dinners and such. Probably won't get much wear beyond once every 3/4 weeks at most. Probably a lot less frequently than that even.

I've a good idea what I want from the suit (thanks to this thread and others), but my question is where would the best place in Dublin be to go? I'll be spending a lot of money (I hope €650 still qualifies as a lot these days!) so I want a good consultation (probably the wrong word to use!) and I don't want to feel rushed into buying the first thing I try on. Just somewhere with really good service who understand the investment you're making, and with a good selection of three piece's as I'm quite picky, and preferably somewhere that will do the alterations for me and allow me to pick it up at a later date if need be. Any suggestions would be very welcome, as would sharing your own experiences. Thanks :)

I can't recommend any places in Dublin. But just to echo what you said. Youre dead right about not being pushed into the first thing you try on. The last time I bought a suit (after starting this thread :P ) and the time before that after telling the salesman what I was after he was really set on making me want a suit I really didn't want to. Just make sure you are 110% happy with what you have on and if youre getting alterations and feel that more should be made make sure to mention it. I was talked out of an additional tightning to my jacket and it sits a bit awkward on me. Not that I know much about suit tailoring :P but I know how clothes sit on me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Suits are the best thing ever.

Dangerous though. It's hard to resist buying more than you need.

Actually, anyone know a really good tailor in Dublin city centre? I've a few alterations I want to get done.

• Advertisement

Man, it'd be so depressing if girls talked that way about dresses.

(Obviously some do, but nothing like the volume that guys do about suits.)

Advertisement