Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make the big leap

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

enda1 wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me the most is how when they pour the pints and put them in front of you, they then insist upon going back to the till (just take my 20! now) to tot up the total and then come back to you to take your money and then go to the till to put it in (maybe having to queue one of these or both of these times) then having to change your money and come back to give you change.

Stupid and inefficient.

Clearly, we need more Irish pubs in London. Maybe a whole chain of them, to show them how it's done. What's that you say? O'Neil's? Oh...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

old hippy wrote: »
    Which reminds me, a mate was visiting once and when the girl poured him a Guinness in one go, without time to settle - he said to her that if she did that back home, she'd be out on her ear. She told him "you're in London, now". Not the answer one expects :D
    To be honest, it’s the answer I’d give to anyone who told me how I should be doing my job.

The nonsense surrounding Guinness annoys the hell out of me – it’s just a bog-standard stout, but in Ireland we’ve convinced ourselves that it has some sort of mystical property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The thing that annoys me the most is how when they pour the pints and put them in front of you, they then insist upon going back to the till (just take my 20! now) to tot up the total and then come back to you to take your money and then go to the till to put it in (maybe having to queue one of these or both of these times) then having to change your money and come back to give you change.
    That is annoying, but again it just comes down to inexperience and lack of confidence. The barman in my local here will tot up the prices in his head without the need of a till.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Clearly, we need more Irish pubs in London. Maybe a whole chain of them, to show them how it's done. What's that you say? O'Neil's? Oh...:(

Jesus, you really are just black and white aren't you.

Jesus, you really are just black and white aren't you.

Nobody's called me Jesus since I ditched the long hair. Ah, memories.

0300-DG-90240.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I have no bee in my bonnet, whatever that means. Much as I love London, I am a foreigner here. Being Irish and all. As for the Scots; some see themselves as fiercely independent already. Some don't.

Anyway, I agree that the standard is not up to the standards we are used to. But most here don't see the bar trade as a career and decent staff are hard to find, British, Irish or otherwise. Which is why I always return to pubs where the staff are up to the gig.

Which reminds me, a mate was visiting once and when the girl poured him a Guinness in one go, without time to settle - he said to her that if she did that back home, she'd be out on her ear. She told him "you're in London, now". Not the answer one expects :D

Well you seem very concerned for some reason about Irish people who talk about foreigners... You have mentioned it multiple times in 2 different threads. I'm not sure what kind of Irish you come across who seem to be overconfident and talking loudly in public places about foreigners and thinking they own the place! Many Irish who live here have been here for many years and consider themselves Londoners... If they want to moan about tourists crowding escalators or foreign students working in bar then they have every right to. It's nothing for you to be embarrassed about...

I don't get it? We can't complain about the Bar staff in london because there is a plastic irish pub chain?

Playboy wrote: »
    Well you seem very concerned for some reason about Irish people who talk about foreigners... You have mentioned it multiple times in 2 different threads. I'm not sure what kind of Irish you come across who seem to be overconfident and talking loudly in public places about foreigners and thinking they own the place! Many Irish who live here have been here for many years and consider themselves Londoners... If they want to moan about tourists crowding escalators or foreign students working in bar then they have every right to. It's nothing for you to be embarrassed about...

I was over egging the confident young bucks and their ways; it doesn't bother me that much :rolleyes: ;)

As for the new Irish who come here saying "jayis, the amount of foreigners etc" - wouldn't anyone cringe at that?

Playboy wrote: »
    I don't get it? We can't complain about the Bar staff in london because there is a plastic irish pub chain?

Of course you can complain about them, just don't complain when I complain about people complaining about foreigners/bar staff/bad pints/people complaining etc etc ad nauseum....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

djpbarry wrote: »
    To be honest, it’s the answer I’d give to anyone who told me how I should be doing my job.

The nonsense surrounding Guinness annoys the hell out of me – it’s just a bog-standard stout, but in Ireland we’ve convinced ourselves that it has some sort of mystical property.

sssssshhhhhh... the marketeers at diageo have convinced many more than just the irish about that, judging by the crowd of gullible people leaving dublin airport on an average sunday evening with their guinness storehouse bags..

• Advertisement

I was over egging the confident young bucks and their ways; it doesn't bother me that much :rolleyes: ;)

As for the new Irish who come here saying "jayis, the amount of foreigners etc" - wouldn't anyone cringe at that?

tbh I find your whole attitude completely condescending. Are you sure these folk who behave like this aren't just in your head?
    Of course you can complain about them, just don't complain when I complain about people complaining about foreigners/bar staff/bad pints/people complaining etc etc ad nauseum....

You can complain about whoever who you want... I just dont understand the connection you are making. Enda complained about some bar staff and your response was in regard to Irish pubs in London? Are you suggesting that because he wasn't born in London he has no right to complain about the bar staff or are you saying because there is a **** Irish pub chain in London then as an Irish person he has no right to complain?

Also I don't think anyone was complaining about foreigners... I made an observation that bars are staffed by large amounts of foreign students with no formal bar training so the quality of service is generally poor. London is a transient city where millions of people come and go and because of this the services are staffed by a lot of part timers who are only here for a short period of time. This in contrast to other cities where you have a more professional and longer serving bar and waiting staff... it has nothing to do with xenophobia.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Lads & ladies, stop the squabbling. Nobody cares and the thread's going substantially off-topic.

To all those thinking about coming over to London; please don't be put off by what you've read here. It's not all bad and there's much to do and plenty of choice. Also, it's not that big a leap - an hour on the plane.

I wish you well in your endeavours and raise a (bad?) pint of stout to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

To all those thinking about coming over to London; please don't be put off by what you've read here. It's not all bad and there's much to do and plenty of choice. Also, it's not that big a leap - an hour on the plane.

I wish you well in your endeavours and raise a (bad?) pint of stout to you.

Unless you happen to be flying into heathrow, then come see me and I'll pull you a proper one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

frag420 wrote: »
    Are you in London already? Il be looking for a place in a few weeks once I sign contract and start working if youre looming around then? As for surfing I believe there are a good few here in London. I'm going to buy new gear and try and get away every few weekends. Il leave the old gear home in bundy for trips home.

Just back. Have a follow up skype interview tomorrow so things look promising. I have no idea where to even start when it comes to looking for a place to live. House? Apartment? Share with guys? Share with gals? Gah!!! I have a place to crash for a month if needed, but would be nice to get settled in somewhere if I secure a job...
    I need to bring my guitars here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Yeah I hear that. I Should have contract signed tomorrow or wed. I'm going to try move in with a few people guys/gals as its good to meet new people over here. Preferably a house. Let me know how Skype interview goes.

I will do. What area are you hoping to move to? (Where will you be working?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Il be working in wapping. Hoping to find a place near angel/islington/Camden/shoreditch areas as very handy for gigs and good pubs!!

Stayed in Angel/Islington the weekend. Nice part of London. Would be nice to end up there too, as I have some mates living up in Hackney direction.

Advertisement