Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

##RAMPING THREAD##

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Pangea wrote: »
    If only you practise what you preach Min! Many a times I told you to embrace the snow ;), but you are constantly on here talking to everyone as if snow is the devil itself. The mods had to deal with you yourself in this thread I hope you dont forget.
    Nobody ramps mild weather because it is always around us, usually. If there is a ramping beach weather thread in the summer then Il be there , or a storm ramping thread but for now its winter and in snow territory so the cold ramping thread is here.

There is two separate threads why people who dont like cold keep coming in here giving out about snow being boring is just really itching for some snow robbed person to reply angrily. If people want to ramp what they like let them . People need to embrace the fact that there is more interest in snow than any other weather on here and instead of giving out about all the hysteria about snow. Hysteria adds a bit of spice to the forum.

Wouldn't you prefer weather to grow grass instead of snow and cold and no grass growth and an extra fodder bill of over €600 per week to keep the bellies of the cattle full. I have enough feed for three weeks, then it is a large bill if we get snow.
    For others it is the extra heating bills when they find it hard to pay the bills.

Anyway the title of this thread has been changed to ramping thread, doesn't sayin the title it has to be for snow :P
    I have let people ramp and my post #1601 was not stopping the ramping.

Just minutes away from it being Spring not winter :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Min wrote: »
    Wouldn't you prefer weather to grow grass instead of snow and cold and no grass growth and an extra fodder bill of over €600 per week to keep the bellies of the cattle full. I have enough feed for three weeks, then it is a large bill if we get snow.
    For others it is the extra heating bills when they find it hard to pay the bills.

Anyway the title of this thread has been changed to ramping thread, doesn't sayin the title it has to be for snow :P

Just minutes away from it being Spring not winter :P

By god you're a tedious fella...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

minutes away from spring?:confused: what will happen after midnight? will the temp shoot up :rolleyes:
    Anyone from a farming background that I've ever met (relatives and non relatives) would say that wintry weather is very common around St Patrick's Day and you should know that!
    did you learn anything after the big freezes in Jan and Dec 2010 about how to be better prepared for wintry weather?
    Probably not?

By god you're a tedious fella...

Just telling it as it is. Doesn't mean one has to like it.

minutes away from spring?:confused: what will happen after midnight? will the temp shoot up :rolleyes:
    Anyone from a farming background that I've ever met (relatives and non relatives) would say that wintry weather is very common around St Patrick's Day.

It is the official start of Spring from a meteorlogical viewpoint, and this is the part of the science forum. The scinece experts in this regard are Met Eireann and according to them March 1st is the start of Spring.
    This doesn't mean one can't get snow in spring, but it doesn't make it winter, you can get snow in May (ramping here) and I remember a snowfall in May years ago, but it doesn't make it winter.

It is March many weathers and we have had indeed some cold St Patrick's days, but we also had some warm St Patrick's days.
    It is a bit of a myth to associate St Patrick's day with cold weather alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

It will be may and people will be on here posting up charts praying for snow. Hopefully no more snow till next winter. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

I hope the entire country gets dumped on by a foot of snow just to make you two miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Anyone from a farming background that I've ever met (relatives and non relatives) would say that wintry weather is very common around St Patrick's Day and you should know that!
    did you learn anything after the big freezes in Jan and Dec 2010 about how to be better prepared for wintry weather?
    Probably not?

9Cn862d.jpg

I hope the entire country gets dumped on by a foot of snow just to make you two miserable.

Thats nice.

I will not be posting for a month or two on this section, it is not worth the hassle. The other day I was being cursed at, and I thank the mods for their work and today someone hopes I and another member will be miserable.

What is miserable are posts that attack other members, or are negative towards other members. It just drives people away.

Thats nice.

I will not be posting for a month or two on this section, it is not worth the hassle. The other day I was being cursed at, and I thank the mods for their work and today someone hopes I and another member will be miserable.

What is miserable are posts that attack other members, or are negative towards other members. It just drives people away.

If you have no interest in ramping then might I ask why you are in here posting at all?!

Thats nice.

Ha You are some piece of work, save the crocadile or should I say troll tears. You keep posting antagonishing posts in a snow thread and then act innocent when someone unsurprisling responds negativley to you. Classic trolling. It is you that is making this forum not a nice place to post in.You are right about not posting for a while because once pistolpetes or resteve sees your posts you probably wont be allowed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Every year we go through the same thing.
    Reading this déja Poo over and over again.

We are having some great dry weather lately. Yet all you guys crying over not wanting snow or wanting snow.

The thread isn't a genie, you can wish either way and you wont have any impact on the weather.

We got an Atlantic Block.... Yippppppeeeee
    13030109_0106.gif

Sure it's not where some want it for snow, but it's better than the Atlantic rolling in day after day, p*ssing on us.

Enjoy the weather guys, it's beautiful out there, if Summer ends up cool and wet, I'm sure the Farmers will be complaining as much as the snowbies.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If you have no interest in ramping then might I ask why you are in here posting at all?!

It's a free and open forum and I can't see anything written by Min that would warrant the near bullying responses he seems to be receiving on here. But I see he has closed his account now. Another great, informed and all year poster down. The snow rampers can really claim their victory now.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It's a free and open forum and I can't see anything written by Min that would warrant the near bullying responses he seems to be receiving on here. But I see he has closed his account now. Another great, informed and all year poster down. The snow rampers can really claim their victory now.

Near bullying?! Min is that you?

Its a free and open forum yes but that is the basic response of when someone is accused of trolling. It is not free to go around posting off topic things and trying to get a rise out of people. Ha ha winter is over and shame on you for liking snow talk, everyone is fed up of all this and its negative responses. He was warned by mods before about posting on the ramping thread. Its nothing to do with 'snow', its about being a decent poster and letting any thread be on topic the way it was meant to be instead of 'going against the grain' as one of the mods put it to him before. No victory for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

If someone says there will be no more snow or that was a boring winter or roll on spring, others start throwing fits. They hate it when someone says it.

If someone says there will be no more snow or that was a boring winter or roll on spring, others start throwing fits. They hate it when someone says it.

How many accounts do you have Min?! :pac:

Even though it's a ramping thread personally I don't see any problem with these comments if they are sporadic.

I think most people's problems with Min was his sheer persistence in hanging around the thread for months trying to antagonize posters and generally just upset the apple cart. He was warned by Mods to cut it out and even started his own "anti" thread.

This thread has descended into a farce and really should just be put back into storage until next winter. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Lol,if anyone thinks min has nothing better to do ,or the purpose of his posts are to antagonize,then they are deluded.

Time people round here discussed the post and not the poster.I thought that was a general boards.ie rule.
    Seemingly not.
    I also thought this was a discussion forum.The thread title is ramping yes,but if someone says there's nothing to ramp about or points out sheer sillyness/downright whacked out opinions and is told it's not for discussion,then it's censorship,..something I thought boards.ie rails about normally.

Imagine if someone started a thread in politics titled FF is the best or Fg is the best and no other view is to be posted in that thread.

There'd be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Lads this thread has got out of hand.

whitebriar wrote: »
    Lol,if anyone thinks min has nothing better to do ,or the purpose of his posts are to antagonize,then they are deluded.

Time people round here discussed the post and not the poster.I thought that was a general boards.ie rule.
    Seemingly not.
    I also thought this was a discussion forum.The thread title is ramping yes,but if someone says there's nothing to ramp about or points out sheer sillyness/downright whacked out opinions and is told it's not for discussion,then it's censorship,..something I thought boards.ie rails about normally.

Imagine if someone started a thread in politics titled FF is the best or Fg is the best and no other view is to be posted in that thread.

There'd be uproar.
    You are a bit deluded yourself if you think he wasnt trolling.
    Thats not a good comparison, the title of this thread isnt 'Snow is the best'.
    If a Fine Gaeler comes into a FF lover thread giving out about FF all the time then its trolling. The sole purpose of the separate everything cold thread was to stop such confrontations in the first place.
    200motels wrote: »
    Lads this thread has got out of hand.
    Couldnt agree more

so someone who doesn't agree with you is a troll now?
    May aswell close down boards if that's the case.

My uncle told me years ago that when two people agree all the time,only one of them is a thinker.
    Honestly people here need to get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

To be fair whitebriar, the posts in question involved a steady dirge. It's not as if they were actually achieving anything other than to annoy some. Personally, I stopped reading them a long time back simply because of the relentless complaining. No one should be denied the right to post but in this case it was the the posts themselves - which were so bloody-mindedly against the topic under discussion here - which caused the problem. The point was well made that extreme weather causes distress but I don't feel it had to be made again and again and again on a thread devoted to extreme weather and when there was a dedicated thread for the purpose. I'm not sure what the appropriate response should have been other than what I've read above. People are very thin-skinned.

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    To be fair whitebriar, the posts in question involved a steady dirge. It's not as if they were actually achieving anything other than to annoy some. Personally, I stopped reading them a long time back simply because of the relentless complaining. No one should be denied the right to post but in this case it was the the posts themselves - which were so bloody-mindedly against the topic under discussion here - which caused the problem. The point was well made that extreme weather causes distress but I don't feel it had to be made again and again and again on a thread devoted to extreme weather and when there was a dedicated thread for the purpose. I'm not sure what the appropriate response should have been other than what I've read above. People are very thin-skinned.
    I find,the best tool on the site for that is the ignore function.
    If people simply click on the persons avatar,one of the drop down options is to add the poster to your ignore list.
    Problem solved for those that want to dream on uninterupted by what they don't want to hear.

But you're right,any poster like min,shouldn't bother reading , never mind posting in this thread,knowing the type of people who post here and what they say.

The reality is,if it's obvious there's no hope of snow and snows what you want,then arguing with someone pointing that out to you is a waste of your time and generally unhealthy too for you.That's the bigger picture.

I don't mind posting here,having a bit of craic about snow chances,but now we are into march,my comments on snow increasingly will be in the model threads if there's a chance of snow.
    That's because,come march,I'm not looking for snow.
    I'm just looking at the weather now and rejoin the vast majority of the outside world wishing for nice weather like today.
    I'll be back ramping in November maybe.

Its a free and open forum yes but that is the basic response of when someone is accused of trolling..

But there are not buts.. it is an open forum and an open thread. Perhaps Min did post outside the context of the thread but that does not give anybody the right to personally insult him. He was a fine poster who was passionate about his beloved Kilkenny weather. He never once insulted anybody on here and kept his posts purely in the context of weather and certainly did not deserve the insults he got on here by some. The only off topic and personal posts I see on here were directed towards him, but for some reason this seems to be OK?

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Min's final few posts quoted below, I don't see any hint of complaining, trolling, trying to get a reaction etc, all friendly, respectable and well thought out posts that make perfectly valid points yet all replies were personally abusing him. If you don't agree with his points then challenge them or just ignore them, what's the point of this thread if its just going to be filled with baseless hype that can't even be challenged. The place is going to be like a ghost town at this rate once all the snow nonsense finally clears
    It is also a fact that weather forecasting is not an exact science.

People get hooked on looking for certain weather conditions but to paraphrse Joe Bastardi 'enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you got'.
    We might all complain about not getting the weather we want. The fact is if you lived in Britain you would have experienced a relatively harsh winter.
    Overall we got quite good forecasts from Met Eireann, maybe people were relying on long term forecasts, the weather models, postmen or whatever. We can all look and want to accept what we want to hear rather than the reality.

Some people looked for too much and believed too much what they wanted to hear or see, then of course they get disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way they want.
    I find all weather interesting, the obsession some have with snow just bores me, and I did get attacked on the forum (the mods dealt with it) for liking mild weather. This is how ridiculous things have gotten and it is why some people chose to leave in my opinion.

We were close to the real cold and snow in geographical terms, it didn't happen, still could, we should just embrace the weather we get, if people are weather enthusiasts, they will find all weather types interesting, not just snow, and then won't feel a need to be disappointed if something doesn't happen weather wise.

The weather never stays the same, it can be very frustrating but we have to take what we get as we can't change it, maybe all the ramping just adds to frustration.
    Notice there is no ramping in the mild thread

Anyway the title of this thread has been changed to ramping thread, doesn't sayin the title it has to be for snow :p

Just minutes away from it being Spring not winter :p
    It is the official start of Spring from a meteorlogical viewpoint, and this is the part of the science forum. The scinece experts in this regard are Met Eireann and according to them March 1st is the start of Spring.
    This doesn't mean one can't get snow in spring, but it doesn't make it winter, you can get snow in May (ramping here) and I remember a snowfall in May years ago, but it doesn't make it winter.

It is March many weathers and we have had indeed some cold St Patrick's days, but we also had some warm St Patrick's days.
    It is a bit of a myth to associate St Patrick's day with cold weather alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

"Wouldn't you prefer weather to grow grass instead of snow and cold and no grass growth and an extra fodder bill of over €600 per week to keep the bellies of the cattle full. I have enough feed for three weeks, then it is a large bill if we get snow.
    For others it is the extra heating bills when they find it hard to pay the bills."

I'm just struggling to see how this post (a long running theme with the poster in question over many months) sits comfortably in a ramping thread, particularly when the point has already been made several times. It would sit very nicely in the farming and Forestry forum....

I would also mention that the mild weather thread has so far been 100% respected for what it is by everyone......

The use of the word 'abuse' in this context is inappropriate. There are better words to describe a fairly harmless exchange of views and mild insults.

so someone who doesn't agree with you is a troll now?
    May aswell close down boards if that's the case.

Nice strawmanning.
    I find,the best tool on the site for that is the ignore function.
    If people simply click on the persons avatar,one of the drop down options is to add the poster to your ignore list.
    Problem solved for those that want to dream on uninterupted by what they don't want to hear.

But you're right,any poster like min,shouldn't bother reading , never mind posting in this thread,knowing the type of people who post here and what they say.

The reality is,if it's obvious there's no hope of snow and snows what you want,then arguing with someone pointing that out to you is a waste of your time and generally unhealthy too for you.That's the bigger picture.

I don't mind posting here,having a bit of craic about snow chances,but now we are into march,my comments on snow increasingly will be in the model threads if there's a chance of snow.
    That's because,come march,I'm not looking for snow.
    I'm just looking at the weather now and rejoin the vast majority of the outside world wishing for nice weather like today.
    I'll be back ramping in November maybe.

Whitebriar you just dont get it,its not about there is zero chances for snow at the moment. The chance for decent snow is gone in my opinion for the past month, so what? Im enjoying this weather more than anyone.

What is wrong regardless of what weather you want is when a poster comes into a thread dedicated to Ramping throughout the season to tell us how bad it is all the time and how dear it is for cattle , then he gets a barrage of responses and then acts all innocent all the while trying to make the respondents look bad. Its hard to ignore that carry on .

This is a thread for an extreme weather type, and no matter how much you want to cover this up and make us look bad, you cant. You should have a look at yourself for backing such a poster.
    If someone was to go into a hot weather thread all the time complaining of disadvantages of hot weather regardless of the chances of it, it would be trolling too.
    But there are not buts.. it is an open forum and an open thread. Perhaps Min did post outside the context of the thread but that does not give anybody the right to personally insult him. He was a fine poster who was passionate about his beloved Kilkenny weather. He never once insulted anybody on here and kept his posts purely in the context of weather and certainly did not deserve the insults he got on here by some. The only off topic and personal posts I see on here were directed towards him, but for some reason this seems to be OK?

There are rules though, the mods dealt with him before, was it ok then too?
    I never personally insulted anyone on here. Others have yes what they should of done was contacted a mod. The negative replies are a results of what a troll does.

Min was a good member when he wasnt trying to wind up people, but he had an itch to constantly post in a winter thread about how bad cold weather is for everything.
    Harps wrote: »
    Min's final few posts quoted below, I don't see any hint of complaining, trolling, trying to get a reaction etc, all friendly, respectable and well thought out posts that make perfectly valid points yet all replies were personally abusing him. If you don't agree with his points then challenge them or just ignore them, what's the point of this thread if its just going to be filled with baseless hype that can't even be challenged. The place is going to be like a ghost town at this rate once all the snow nonsense finally clears

Thats amusing you can pick those quotes and say what you say, if you cant see where he is trying to get a reaction then theres no point in trying to point them out to you. Notice how he trys to get everyone on his side by saying all the people who attacked him, the reason people attacked him one time was because he went all out in the first snow ramping thread preaching about you know what. It was the mods that dealt with him on that occasion and had to delete the angry responses that came as a result.

Mr. Bumble summed it up nicely above.
    Ive had enough of this discussion now and I am only repeating myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mr.Burns

Hey lads, I'm only new to the forum but have been following and posting on other weather forums for quite a while.

Does any weather actually get discussed in here?!

Who is this Min character? He seems awfully keen to put a stop to any ramping!

I never personally insulted anyone on here. Others have yes what they should of done was contacted a mod. The negative replies are a results of what a troll does.
    Ha You are some piece of work, save the crocadile or should I say troll tears. You keep posting antagonishing posts in a snow thread and then act innocent when someone unsurprisling responds negativley to you. Classic trolling.
    9Cn862d.jpg

While you may not find these insulting, I find the content and tone of these posts both disrespectful and uncalled for to someone who was merely giving his opinion in his typically respectful manner. It seems now that people are just appointing themselves judge, jury and executioner when posters don't agree with them because the only ones accusing Min of trolling are yourself and that Cork fella.

New Moon

Nice strawmanning.
    With respect, you don't know what a straw man argument is,if you're saying ,my point on the definition of discussion is one.
    If a discussion(and this is a discussion board) is all one sided,it's not a discussion at all,it's soap boxing.So in the interests of being helpfull,I suggest the ignore function is used more often.End of problem.

Whitebriar you just dont get it,its not about there is zero chances for snow at the moment. The chance for decent snow is gone in my opinion for the past month, so what? Im enjoying this weather more than anyone.

What is wrong regardless of what weather you want is when a poster comes into a thread dedicated to Ramping throughout the season to tell us how bad it is all the time and how dear it is for cattle , then he gets a barrage of responses and then acts all innocent all the while trying to make the respondents look bad. Its hard to ignore that carry on .

This is a thread for an extreme weather type, and no matter how much you want to cover this up and make us look bad, you cant. You should have a look at yourself for backing such a poster.
    If someone was to go into a hot weather thread all the time complaining of disadvantages of hot weather regardless of the chances of it, it would be trolling too
    There you go again,attacking min the poster.
    That is wrong,wrong,wrong.If you don't like what he says ignore him,there's a tool on the site to do that.
    You're attacking me the poster too now.You should put me on ignore aswell so, because frankly,I think your line and some others here on min was/is unnecessary and completely avoidable.I see no reason to change my view on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

agreed this has gone way out of control, people having severe arguments over the weather, it's not like the snow or lack of it is gonna effect our lives to any great deal, the weather in Ireland is generally dull and boring and it's only every now and then we get a brief moment of excitement such as snowfall, high temperatures, extreme winds or thunderstorms.

I can understand being dissappointed as certain weather events do not work out but attacking other users with personal insults on their opinions I do not understand. It does not achieve anything other than a smaller audience, screaming at people who say it's not gonna snow tomorrow is not gonna make it magically snow. Hopefully next winter will see less drama in here and more drama with the actual weather itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement