Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA AGM 2013 Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Not relevant to the AGM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

No more rants. Keep in on topic or else.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭tonymccann

I was going to stand but on reflecting on a post made here id say it would just cause me more hastle than its worth pity cos id really like to stand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

tonymccann wrote: »
    I was going to stand but on reflecting on a post made here id say it would just cause me more hastle than its worth pity cos id really like to stand

That's a shame because that's definitely Airsofts loss

point proven

• Advertisement

Tony. If you want to run then do so. Do not let anything written here affect your decision. It would be a shame to allow something written here deter someone from stepping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭eversmann

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Are the committee waiting until after the closing date for nominations before disclosing the names of those that have been nominated??
    andy_g wrote: »
    So the IAA are allowing phantom nominations this year and how are members meant to second these phantom nominations?

Looks very cloak and dagger this year.

Disappointingly predictable nay-saying from the sidelines.

In before the Not relevant to the AGM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Lads, really, last warning, keep this constructive please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Looking fairly dire this year indeed - which is quite disappointing. If I was in any able to step up for the positions I would - but there's a far better group of people out there that can do it, not to mention I haven't been a member for two years (somewhat hypocritical admittedly). But jesus lads - the IAA has been a huge help for Irish Airsoft, the people who volunteered here over the years whether you loved them or hated them did major work for this sport/hobby.

I find it hard to believe that the nominee's I saw (3 of them) on the IAA are the only people willing to do it. There's been a lot of shít and petty name calling and accusations for a while now - but this shouldn't deter people from stepping up.

Don't let the IAA die, whether we want to admit it or not - it's been a major help in the past and no doubt will be again in the future.

(Damn - me being positive and righteous? I'm scared...)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Perhaps maybe its finally getting to the realisation, that whilst everyone gives it loads of gob, they simply don't want to take the work on.

And in fairness I empathise. The guys put in long hours, and I mean LONG hours. There is also a skillset required to be a GOOD committee. Good communication skills, proffessional and unbiased etc.

Lefty I get where you are coming from. I've been around a long time, and I only put myself forward for a position once. And then, probably as it would be now, the issues seems to the fact that I'm just a blunt **** online, and call it the way it is. Now I know for a fact I'm utterly professionall when it comes to certain things among others, and I know I can hold a pretty impartial, unbiased straight forward constructive debate.

But then also when I think about it, why should I bother wasting my time when you have to deal with a massive mountain of negativity, derived out of nothing. And I mean nothing. I think its funny that the ONE year the IAA did some DEPLORABLE ****, that nothing really much came out of it. Whereas beforehand, when the IAA was doing tremendous work, it was being slated by lads on the peripheries.

I literally 100% empathise with people who don't want to do it. I always maintained, that no one should be forced to do it, and no one should be looked down upon because they haven't. And someone's opinion isnt worth less because they wont either.

The IAA can always use volunteers. I think the only reason my help was accepted this year was on the strict understanding I didn't say a ****ing word online, which didn't exactly work out, but I didn't exactly raise hell either. :)

I think there is a misconception around "Non-Exec" positions. Myself and Biohazrd helped maintain and run the web interfaces this year. That job could have been just one of us, it could have been twenty of us. If the IAA get offers of help, they can deploy those individuals into roles that assist the assosiation.

Another great example was Salute, there was a big offer of help and it was taken and a good representation was had. If you think you can help, but don't want / don't feel comfortable with the executive positions, then offer services/ assistance in other areas :)

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Perhaps maybe its finally getting to the realisation, that whilst everyone gives it loads of gob, they simply don't want to take the work on.

And in fairness I empathise. The guys put in long hours, and I mean LONG hours. There is also a skillset required to be a GOOD committee. Good communication skills, proffessional and unbiased etc.

Lefty I get where you are coming from. I've been around a long time, and I only put myself forward for a position once. And then, probably as it would be now, the issues seems to the fact that I'm just a blunt **** online, and call it the way it is. Now I know for a fact I'm utterly professionall when it comes to certain things among others, and I know I can hold a pretty impartial, unbiased straight forward constructive debate.

But then also when I think about it, why should I bother wasting my time when you have to deal with a massive mountain of negativity, derived out of nothing. And I mean nothing. I think its funny that the ONE year the IAA did some DEPLORABLE ****, that nothing really much came out of it. Whereas beforehand, when the IAA was doing tremendous work, it was being slated by lads on the peripheries.

I literally 100% empathise with people who don't want to do it. I always maintained, that no one should be forced to do it, and no one should be looked down upon because they haven't. And someone's opinion isnt worth less because they wont either.

The IAA can always use volunteers. I think the only reason my help was accepted this year was on the strict understanding I didn't say a ****ing word online, which didn't exactly work out, but I didn't exactly raise hell either. :)

I think there is a misconception around "Non-Exec" positions. Myself and Biohazrd helped maintain and run the web interfaces this year. That job could have been just one of us, it could have been twenty of us. If the IAA get offers of help, they can deploy those individuals into roles that assist the assosiation.

Another great example was Salute, there was a big offer of help and it was taken and a good representation was had. If you think you can help, but don't want / don't feel comfortable with the executive positions, then offer services/ assistance in other areas:)

my offer of help was never accepted ????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

A full financial report will be delivered by the treasurer to the membership at the AGM.

I await this report with great interest.

Will it include an Income & Expenditure Account and a Balance Sheet, prepared and signed off by a Certified or Chartered Accountant?

A full financial report will be provided in line with the constitution of the IAA and the legal requirements for associations such as this under Irish law.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OzCam wrote: »
    I await this report with great interest.

Will it include an Income & Expenditure Account and a Balance Sheet, prepared and signed off by a Certified or Chartered Accountant?
    With the greatest of respect Bernard, please drop it. I know there are unresolved issues wrt accounts but this isn't the time or the place for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

Mission Statement
    I am the current Secretary of the IAA & have accepted the nomination to stand again.
    Late last year a number of people were approached to be co-opted onto the committee of the IAA due to the departure of the existing committee I was one of those & accepted.
    Since then the committee has done a lot of work to get the IAA back on its feet. Some of this has been in the background such as work on the IT side & preparing a handover process. Some such as resolving the problems around processing membership applications are more visible but required a lot of effort. The biggest success was the display at the Salute show which was mainly due to the large number of helping hands.
    But all this is in reality just a stopgap to prevent the IAA deteriorating further; it is now time to start moving forward. When the IAA was founded the situation for Airsoft in Ireland was very different & the main aim of the IAA was the legalisation of the sport. Things are now different & the IAA needs to change as well.
    If re-elected my main aims will be to make the IAA more relevant to players, sites & retailers.
    The original focus of the IAA was as a governing body this need to change to a representative body of the entire Airsoft community. In order to achieve this I would undertake a complete review of the structure & constitution of the IAA to see what changes are necessary to make the organisation more relevant to the Airsoft community today with a view to putting proposals for an updated IAA to the membership later in the year.
    I firmly believe Airsoft needs a voice & that the best way to achieve that is to update the IAA rather than let it die & hope something else pops up.
    If you agree with my vision for the future of Airsoft & the IAA the vote for me. If you don’t then vote against me but whatever you do get involved remember Airsoft is your hobby, sport or living.
    Graham Read
    IAA Secretary

Gray wrote: »
    Mission Statement
    I am the current Secretary of the IAA & have accepted the nomination to stand again.
    Late last year a number of people were approached to be co-opted onto the committee of the IAA due to the departure of the existing committee I was one of those & accepted.
    Since then the committee has done a lot of work to get the IAA back on its feet. Some of this has been in the background such as work on the IT side & preparing a handover process. Some such as resolving the problems around processing membership applications are more visible but required a lot of effort. The biggest success was the display at the Salute show which was mainly due to the large number of helping hands.
    But all this is in reality just a stopgap to prevent the IAA deteriorating further; it is now time to start moving forward. When the IAA was founded the situation for Airsoft in Ireland was very different & the main aim of the IAA was the legalisation of the sport. Things are now different & the IAA needs to change as well.
    If re-elected my main aims will be to make the IAA more relevant to players, sites & retailers.
    The original focus of the IAA was as a governing body this need to change to a representative body of the entire Airsoft community. In order to achieve this I would undertake a complete review of the structure & constitution of the IAA to see what changes are necessary to make the organisation more relevant to the Airsoft community today with a view to putting proposals for an updated IAA to the membership later in the year.
    I firmly believe Airsoft needs a voice & that the best way to achieve that is to update the IAA rather than let it die & hope something else pops up.
    If you agree with my vision for the future of Airsoft & the IAA the vote for me. If you don’t then vote against me but whatever you do get involved remember Airsoft is your hobby, sport or living.
    Graham Read
    IAA Secretary

my offer of help was never accepted ???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

Tony as far as I am aware your offer of help was received some time after the current committee was installed. At that time we were engaged in stabalising the IAA, your offer of training was dicussed but it was decided there were more pressing issues & this was something for a future committee. This was not ment as a refelection on you & I hope this has not turned you against the IAA.

My over riding aim is the betterment of airstoft & the IAA, from your interest your aim seems to be the same & hopefully in the future we can work to gether.

Gray wrote: »
    Tony as far as I am aware your offer of help was received some time after the current committee was installed. At that time we were engaged in stabalising the IAA, your offer of training was dicussed but it was decided there were more pressing issues & this was something for a future committee. This was not ment as a refelection on you & I hope this has not turned you against the IAA.

My over riding aim is the betterment of airstoft & the IAA, from your interest your aim seems to be the same & hopefully in the future we can work to gether.

its a huge pity that this explanation was not given earlier because it has turned me off the IAA in a major way what a pity I wish u luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Can non members of the IAA attend to observe this AGM please? :)

*cough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

Answering as a non-member, unless I'm sorely mistaken, the answer is No. You need to be a member to attend the AGM.

sci-ops wrote: »
    Answering as a non-member, unless I'm sorely mistaken, the answer is No. You need to be a member to attend the AGM.

Hopefully this is incorrect, because it's important for all members of the Airsoft community to see what has been done and know what is planned for the future, by the organisation who represents our community :)

Hopefully this is incorrect, because it's important for all members of the Airsoft community to see what has been done and know what is planned for the future, by the organisation who represents our community :)

After quickly going to the first page and reading...it confirms no non-members.

Also....From the Irish Airsoft Associations official site:

Dear Members,

The Irish Airsoft Association will hold its Annual General Meeting for 2012 on Wednesday the 13th March 2013 in the Red Cow Hotel at 8PM.

This meeting is only open to Members who are fully paid up by 5pm on Friday 8th March 2013.

The location for the meeting can be found on Google Maps at this link: Map

The committee will maintain a section in our forums for the AGM and the information you need to know about it. This will include Officer nominations, Motion proposals and publications.

The operation of the AGM is legally bound by our Constitution and it applies strict timelines for certain aspects of the meeting. These are set out below:

Motions for voting must be proposed in writing (AGM Forum, email (to info@irishairsoft.ie), or letter) by 5PM on the 1st of February. After this point no further motions can be accepted.

Election of officers for the 2013 committee will take place at the end of the meeting. Nominations for committee positions must be proposed in writing (AGM Forum, email, or letter) by 5PM on the 1st February. All positions are open and we encourage as many people to stand as possible.

When submitting nominations for election and motions for voting you must include your full name and IAA membership number.

The meeting agenda and association financial report will be sent to all members before the 11th of February.

The committee encourages all members and affiliates to attend this event. Affiliates are only allowed to vote, submit motions, nominate officers and second officers in their capacity as individual members. Affiliates in their own right have no standing so the owners need to be signed-up members before the cut off date.

Best Regards
    The Committee

Asking as a member of the IAA and Airsoft community, hopefully observers are allowed to attend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

In general agms for any organisation would be open to its members be it the iaa or a company.

If non members are interested in how the representitive body works and what its doing to represent the commuinity then the easiest way is to apply for membership. Its a small annual fee for the membership

Faolchu wrote: »
    In general agms for any organisation would be open to its members be it the iaa or a company.

If non members are interested in how the representitive body works and what its doing to represent the commuinity then the easiest way is to apply for membership. Its a small annual fee for the membership

I'm already aware of how AGM's run in general and thank you for clarifying that point

Would a member of the current committee, please answer my question? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Asking as a member of the IAA and Airsoft community, hopefully observers are allowed to attend :)

Who are you observing on behalf of?

The way an AGM generally works; you either attend as a paid-up member, or wait for the media-announcement/minutes/etc. to get released.

Lemming wrote: »
    Who are you observing on behalf of?

The way an AGM generally works; you either attend as a paid-up member, or wait for the media-announcement/minutes/etc. to get released.

I'm not observing and just asked the question :)

I'm already aware of how AGM's run in general and thank you for clarifying that point

Would a member of the current committee, please answer my question? :)

Seals, just as a suggestion, you might try using the IAA's official forum or e-mail address for queries such as this. This is not a forum which they monitor very closely, considering they have their own.

• Advertisement

Seals, just as a suggestion, you might try using the IAA's official forum or e-mail address for queries such as this. This is not a forum which they monitor very closely, considering they have their own.

Noted and I'll bring this up at the AGM too ;)

Advertisement