Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nowlan Park Concert 2013

Options
  • 13-01-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I saw a frontpage headline in the Kilkenny People recently suggesting a concert was in the works for Nowlan Park this Summer. Names mentioned were Elton John, Neil Young, Elvis Costelloe. I think it would be great for the city to get the concerts back again and it would have great benefits for the local economy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Wasn't Dolly Parton the last concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Quickdraw McGraw

I think so - there have been some great concerts over the years (paul simon, rod stewart). I think its a no brainer to get this back as a Summer highlight for the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

If the get Bob Dylan again they may give it up.
    He was embarasing the last time he was there.
    Also evlis costello is fairly bad as well form what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

anyone know when this (might) happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It would be brilliant to bring these back. If the vintners were desperate enough to organise a zombie festival back in October then I'm sure that bringing back the Source festival in some form would be a huge boost for business all over the city. Apart from the big concert in Nolan Park, a lot of the local pubs used to have free gigs on throughout the weekend.

The last one, from what I can remember, was indeed Dolly Parton in 2007. There was some bad concerts but there were also some great ones. And apart from a lot of weed smokers getting stung, there wasn't a huge amount of disorder at the events. It would be great for the city to get a big concert back in town after 6 years.

They mostly took place in July which is a surprisingly quiet time in the city's jam packed festival calendar so it would be great to see a concert announced for that time this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

of course it would be great for the people of kilkenny, but lets have someone who is not at the tail end of their singing career, why not a promenade concert, life actually does not revolve around pop.
    Anything to liven the place up.

In the past, they've mixed it up so I don't see why they wouldn't again. In 2006, there was one concert by Andrea Bocelli and the other was by Bob Dylan. The supporting acts have usually been younger acts too (Flaming Lips for Dylan, Girls Aloud for Dolly Parton, Natash Bedingfield for Shania Twain, Katie Melua for James Taylor etc.)

Headliners are headliners for a reason and they'll draw the punters in, no matter how old they are. Big difference between filling Nowlan Park and filling Set Theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Is the council going to pay for the concert? I know they did in Waterford for some of the gigs on there and they lost huge money on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'd love if they did bring back the summer concert in Nowlan Park. They would need to bring a Big Artist to entice people to go and sell tickets. If Cork, Limerick and Dublin can have these gigs why cant we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Autosport wrote: »
    I'd love if they did bring back the summer concert in Nowlan Park. They would need to bring a Big Artist to entice people to go and sell tickets. If Cork, Limerick and Dublin can have these gigs why cant we.
    The three cities you cite have far greater populations to support concerts, simple maths really. Dublin has over a million so there really isn't any comparison.

• Advertisement

There's still no reason Kilkenny can't support a large concert though. Especially with a huge draw as headline act. If Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty or Elton John were announced for Kilkenny, it would fill pretty quickly. A huge amount of people who came to Kilkenny for the Source concerts were from outside the city and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

catbear wrote: »
    The three cities you cite have far greater populations to support concerts, simple maths really. Dublin has over a million so there really isn't any comparison.

True but a lot of Dubs and people in Leinster would travel to Kilkenny to concerts not just the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

The motorway is a massive advantage for the concerts. Practically accessible from plenty of locations within reasonable times on some good roads.

The motorway is a massive advantage for the concerts. Practically accessible from plenty of locations within reasonable times on some good roads.

Yep. In fairness, Kilkenny is an hour/hour half from where the vast majority of the country lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Sure can't they call it a "gathering" event? That'll surely help hype interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Threadhead wrote: »
    There's still no reason Kilkenny can't support a large concert though. Especially with a huge draw as headline act. If Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty or Elton John were announced for Kilkenny, it would fill pretty quickly. A huge amount of people who came to Kilkenny for the Source concerts were from outside the city and county.

I've heard a few rumours suggesting that Bruce is playing in July.

Can't find anything official or even semi-official.

Anyone know anything more?

That would be deadly. I s he coming to Cork in May though, was talking to somebody going lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

mfitzy wrote: »
    That would be deadly. I s he coming to Cork in May though, was talking to somebody going lately.

I checked Ticketmaster there and he's down for the 18th of July. He's also playing in Limerick two days before that and up in Belfast on the 20th.

The rumoured date that I've seen is the 26th of July.

I would be extremely surprised if this happens. I'd love it. But I can't see it being true.

I've just heard that too on Facebook and its supposed to be revealed tomorrow :) I' going to see Bruce in Cork but i'd go to Kilkenny aswell :D

OIf he's playing Cork then Limerick and Belfast it seems like a lot of concerts...I know he is very popular and all, but still. Kilkenny might at least draw the crowd that think they are too far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eim641

I just heard 26th July as well. Fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChunkyLoverIE

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oloughlin-Gaels-Gaa-Club-KilkennyIreland/91719238378?fref=ts

That's the facebook page for O Loughlin Gaels Gaa club in Kilkenny, the club who would consider Nowlan Park to be their home turf. A few posts down they confirm the Boss to be playing. Too good to be true?

Lets wait and see and i hope to god its true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Out of interest, how many does Nowlan park hold for gigs then? Or how many has it got for previous gigs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sounds like over-saturation.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Who is the normal provider of tickets for Nowlan Park? I would love to see Spruce Bringstein, by the way could anyone keep us posted if they know if he who cannot be mentioned will be going, feel like a good boo.

This looks like a done deal. Official announcement coming on Thursday apparently.

They're bringing back the Source festival with a bang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Who is the normal provider of tickets for Nowlan Park? I would love to see Spruce Bringstein, by the way could anyone keep us posted if they know if he who cannot be mentioned will be going, feel like a good boo.

Yes it looks like The Boss for 26th July . It's after end of tour but he's already sold out 3 shows and will probably sell out this as well . Capacity is about 25k for a gig

great to hear, need something to lighten the place up, but we need something for us young ones, lets hope, things okay for the zimmer gangs, we might shout for cliff baby. any way good for the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oloughlin-Gaels-Gaa-Club-KilkennyIreland/91719238378?fref=ts

That's the facebook page for O Loughlin Gaels Gaa club in Kilkenny, the club who would consider Nowlan Park to be their home turf. A few posts down they confirm the Boss to be playing. Too good to be true?

It's not up to O'Loughlins to be confirming Springsteen is playing. Nothing to do with them. But while it does look like an announcement will be made on Thursday, there IS a chance it'll be an announcement about a gig featuring a number of performers - ie not Springsteen.

Advertisement