Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective section, going public

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 worldwind06

I'm currently 32 weeks pregnancy and today was told by my consultant that he would give an elective section. Fear of labour, birth, and everything it entails is a very real thing and so far it has ruined my entire pregnancy causing me to become so depressed and anxious I had to be put on medication for anxiety in my second trimester. I have fought really hard for my elective section and due to severe stress and anxiety I'm getting one as my consultant could see that I was getting progressively worse the further along I was in pregnancy, my GP said he would write letters if needs be, but that won't be needed now. I know that a natural delivery is better for mum, there's a lot of risks involved with a section and that it's major abdominal surgery all of this was really secondary to me because my mental health was really suffering. It may sound rediculous to some women that I could get into such a state over childbirth, but after reading a lot online I'm not the only one. Every appointment I had it let it be known to whatever doctor I had that I was really suffering mentally in the beginning they didn't listen to me, but the further my pregnancy progressed the more they listened. I would let anyone put me down over my decision because today is the first time since I've basically become pregnant that I've been able to relax. I even had a nap today when I got home and it was the first bit of refreshing sleep I've had in so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

I'm currently 32 weeks pregnancy and today was told by my consultant that he would give an elective section. Fear of labour, birth, and everything it entails is a very real thing and so far it has ruined my entire pregnancy causing me to become so depressed and anxious I had to be put on medication for anxiety in my second trimester. I have fought really hard for my elective section and due to severe stress and anxiety I'm getting one as my consultant could see that I was getting progressively worse the further along I was in pregnancy, my GP said he would write letters if needs be, but that won't be needed now. I know that a natural delivery is better for mum, there's a lot of risks involved with a section and that it's major abdominal surgery all of this was really secondary to me because my mental health was really suffering. It may sound rediculous to some women that I could get into such a state over childbirth, but after reading a lot online I'm not the only one. Every appointment I had it let it be known to whatever doctor I had that I was really suffering mentally in the beginning they didn't listen to me, but the further my pregnancy progressed the more they listened. I would let anyone put me down over my decision because today is the first time since I've basically become pregnant that I've been able to relax. I even had a nap today when I got home and it was the first bit of refreshing sleep I've had in so long.

World wink. I had a section 12 months ago. I have a perfectly happy baby and mammy and thats all that matters. Best of luck. Look after yourself after it, take the help offered and pain relief

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

I'm due my first baby in May and I have to say that I find it strange that the elective c-section option isn't discussed more. I aim to just let things take their course and whatever way baby needs to come is fine by me. I do think though that everyone should be allowed/given info to explore their options on giving birth, maybe an elective c-section is more relaxed for all involved, less risky? There's a lot of unknown events in giving birth naturally and yet us new expectant mums are just often expected to roll with it. I think if anyone really wants a c-section for whatever reasons then it should be given too, it's a scary time.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

From a medical standpoint elective sections do bare more risks for the mother than natural which is why hospitals discourage them unless medically needed and why they are audited internationally. Every single elective section in a hospital especially for a first time mum is scrutinised, which is why you have to have your "case" ready to go if its not a medical thing they can see for themselves eg breech etc.

After all that what ever way the baby comes out as long as it is safe is all that matters. My sister had an emergency section and was up and about 3 days later and flying and def wants an elective the next time as she got on so well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

From a completely anecdotal and not at all scientific perspective, I haven't known one person to have complications after an elective section in my groups of mammy friends. I've known many who had complications after 'natural' births, and some who want elective sections because they don't want to take a chance on going natural again.

• Advertisement

bean14 wrote: »
    World wink. I had a section 12 months ago. I have a perfectly happy baby and mammy and thats all that matters. Best of luck. Look after yourself after it, take the help offered and pain relief

Bean14 my elective is at the end of this month 26th of February and since I was told I could have it I'm just so relaxed and finally enjoying the last bit of my pregnancy. My partner has noted the change in me is massive. I have a friend who had a section and she said the same as you, take any pain relief they offer haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

I suppose you need to look after your own mental health first and foremost.
    I understand that you seem terrified of a natural birth, but neither option is a walk in the park :)

Some considerations would be - how many children do you hope to have ?
    Also Breastfeeding can be a little more challenging and losing some of that awesome skin to skin immediately after the birth ( which dulls all the pain )

Plus a vaginal birth its proven to be less stressful on your baby..
    I would read a little bit more of the science behind that before making my decision.

Instead of reading all the horror stories, which Google is great for, read all the positives for a little while. I cant begin to describe the feeling when my baby was laid on my chest for the first time. She breastfed straight away, so i was able to bond straight away too.
    I was able to hop off the bed ( kinda ) and the recovery time can be far less.
    Just my 2 cents anyway..

Best of Luck

I was able to breastfeed very successfully post section. I'm still feeding my 17 month old. I also know of a few women who had terrible recoveries from vaginal births, whereas any woman I know who had an elective (rather than emergency) section had a trouble free recovery. There's a few myths about sections - like not being able to have skin to skin, which is possible if you really want it and the recovery taking weeks compared to a natural birth, but in my case I had much better and faster and easier recoveries than a lot of women who had vaginal births. I know some who still aren't right months or years on, and have vowed to have elective sections if they get pregnant again.

I was speaking in general terms lazygirl.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Idrive wrote: »
    I understand that you seem terrified of a natural birth, but neither option is a walk in the park :)

Also Breastfeeding can be a little more challenging and losing some of that awesome skin to skin immediately after the birth ( which dulls all the pain )

I would read a little bit more of the science behind that before making my decision.

Instead of reading all the horror stories, which Google is great for, read all the positives for a little while. I cant begin to describe the feeling when my baby was laid on my chest for the first time. She breastfed straight away, so i was able to bond straight away too.
    Just my 2 cents anyway..

Best of Luck

But section mothers get that feeling too :confused:

My baby was breastfed until he self weaned, and breastfed right away after he was born by EMCS. He had skin to skin with my partner for the 20 mins while I was stitched up, then returned to me for 10 solid hours of skin to skin and breastfeeding. My milk came in the same as any other mother, and my recovery was far quicker than some women who had stitches and vaginal tearing. It was no walk in the park, but neither are some vaginal births.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Just my 2 cents anyway..

Best of Luck

i had a natural birth with only gas and air, and my baby wouldn't breastfeed at all, it really doesn't matter how you being them into the world they will do what they please when it comes to every aspect of being a baby.

while i am all for putting the baby first, and while the science does show a natural birth is the preferable option (as long as there are no complications) its worth noting in most cases there are complications,

i think in an ideal word most parents to be would choose a natural vaginal birth over anything else, but like anything there are other factors to consider,

some women like me have a high pain threshold and can deal with the pain with just gas and air and have a baby like that, but what about the women who have a very low pain threshold? why put them and their baby at risk because of a perceived stigma to avoid a section?

or those who medically need a section?

you can't just say that because you bonded and breastfed straight away was down to Skin to skin or a natural birth, this is what imo is wrong with society, we are too quick to point to "what is normal" leaving those of us with different experiences feeling like we are to blame for not doing the best for our baby, a healthy happy mum is what's best for baby and whatever mothers need to do to achieve is ok!

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i had a natural birth with only gas and air, and my baby wouldn't breastfeed at all, it really doesn't matter how you being them into the world they will do what they please when it comes to every aspect of being a baby.

while i am all for putting the baby first, and while the science does show a natural birth is the preferable option (as long as there are no complications) its worth noting in most cases there are complications,

i think in an ideal word most parents to be would choose a natural vaginal birth over anything else, but like anything there are other factors to consider,

some women like me have a high pain threshold and can deal with the pain with just gas and air and have a baby like that, but what about the women who have a very low pain threshold? why put them and their baby at risk because of a perceived stigma to avoid a section?

or those who medically need a section?

you can't just say that because you bonded and breastfed straight away was down to Skin to skin or a natural birth, this is what imo is wrong with society, we are too quick to point to "what is normal" leaving those of us with different experiences feeling like we are to blame for not doing the best for our baby, a healthy happy mum is what's best for baby and whatever mothers need to do to achieve is ok!

And that's all im saying. In normal circumstances , everything goes fine with a natural birth.
    I've not suggested there is anything wrong with section births.

And that's all im saying. In normal circumstances , everything goes fine with a natural birth.
    I've not suggested there is anything wrong with section births.

I felt that you implied I had not made an informed decision over my elective

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bunsbun

I suffer from anxiety due to migraines. It comes on out of nowhere and i've ended up in A&E twice convinced i'm having a heart attack.

Because the migraines effectively switch my anxiety on without my say so, would I be a good candidate for an elective section do you reckon? I'm going to my GP tomorrow about it anyways but just wanted to see what you all thought.

The gas and air for natural birth would defo be enough to give me migraines. I can tolerate anaesthetics. But I can't tolerate most medicines and painkillers without getting migraines.

I am extremely anxious over the whole birth process. I know the risks involved with a C section but they trump a natural birth for me.

I'm not sure if this is against the rules or not, sorry in advance if it is. But if anyone knows of some good consultants in the Dublin area who are more open to elective sections, could you please PM me their details so I can ask my doc to refer me to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

lazygal wrote: »
    I was able to breastfeed very successfully post section. I'm still feeding my 17 month old. I also know of a few women who had terrible recoveries from vaginal births, whereas any woman I know who had an elective (rather than emergency) section had a trouble free recovery. There's a few myths about sections - like not being able to have skin to skin, which is possible if you really want it and the recovery taking weeks compared to a natural birth, but in my case I had much better and faster and easier recoveries than a lot of women who had vaginal births. I know some who still aren't right months or years on, and have vowed to have elective sections if they get pregnant again.

This. I had a disastrous natural birth on my first pregnancy, where we lost an otherwise perfectly healthy little girl. I tore pretty badly as they needed to get her out fast and the recovery was slow - I'm still a bit tender there 3 years later...

The (elective)section on my second pregnancy, while painful, saw me more or less up and around in a few days. We took part in a new C-section procedure (not in Ireland - but maybe those interested could ask their consultants?), where they take down the screen just before baby comes out, so that you can see them taking him/her out and then baby landed up on my chest, same as in a natural birth situation, while they sewed me up. So I missed out on nothing in that regard. I will do the same again next time round.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

This. I had a disastrous natural birth on my first pregnancy, where we lost an otherwise perfectly healthy little girl. I tore pretty badly as they needed to get her out fast and the recovery was slow - I'm still a bit tender there 3 years later...

The (elective)section on my second pregnancy, while painful, saw me more or less up and around in a few days. We took part in a new C-section procedure (not in Ireland - but maybe those interested could ask their consultants?), where they take down the screen just before baby comes out, so that you can see them taking him/her out and then baby landed up on my chest, same as in a natural birth situation, while they sewed me up. So I missed out on nothing in that regard. I will do the same again next time round.

With the exception of the screen coming down, that's pretty much what my experience was. As soon as the baby came out, they brought him around the screen for us to see him - there was a meconium problem so I'd say thats why they took him to the side table to check his airways etc otherwise either myself or my partner would have held him straight after the birth. While I was getting sewn up, partner held the baby in the labour suite and gave skin to skin, then when I was ready, the nurse tucked the baby in my nightie to breastfeed and get skin to skin.

Because I was immobile, I was actually allowed to co-sleep with the baby that way for the first 10 hours. I think if I could move, they'd have been worried I'd roll onto him and would have made me put him in the bassinet. So in a way, I probably had more skin to skin than the norm.

I'd say the stitching took 20 mins max, so it wasnt long for the baby to be with his dad and not me. I think they try very much to ensure that section deliveries have those same elements if there are no medical reasons not to.

One thing I only realized a long time after my births was how much my husband appreciated being the first person (after the medical staff) to hold and care for our baby. He had them the whole time I was in recovery and he has said he really cherished that alone time with them for bonding, and as I couldn't hold them I was able to completely relax in recovery. He might not have had those precious memories of having the time to bond had I had vaginal births with me doing skin to skin etc.

Bunsbun wrote: »
    I suffer from anxiety due to migraines. It comes on out of nowhere and i've ended up in A&E twice convinced i'm having a heart attack.

Because the migraines effectively switch my anxiety on without my say so, would I be a good candidate for an elective section do you reckon? I'm going to my GP tomorrow about it anyways but just wanted to see what you all thought.

The gas and air for natural birth would defo be enough to give me migraines. I can tolerate anaesthetics. But I can't tolerate most medicines and painkillers without getting migraines.

I am extremely anxious over the whole birth process. I know the risks involved with a C section but they trump a natural birth for me.

I'm not sure if this is against the rules or not, sorry in advance if it is. But if anyone knows of some good consultants in the Dublin area who are more open to elective sections, could you please PM me their details so I can ask my doc to refer me to them?

If you are certain it is what you want, start telling the medical personnel this. I would put it in writing to the doctors and ensure it is kept in your notes from an early stage. I would also anecdotally say that it is easier to have your preferences respected if you go private, that's not to denigrate the public system but I built up a good and trusting relationship with my consultant and the continuity of care stood to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

I had my 2nd section in November (elective) after having an emergency caesarean in 2013, I found the planned section was so much more relaxed and it was actually a lovely experience, I also had skin to skin contact straight away with my son while they stitched me up!
    The recovery was 10 times better too, I plan on having another maybe in a year and I will definitely go for an elective section again.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Hi all im now 31 weeks pregnant and saw my consultant this week to discuss an elective section. I had a forceps delivery on my first with 3d tears and an episiotomy and the whole experience was very traumatic. I decided to go completely natural on my second and used the hypnobirthing method but because my baby was large everything re-opened and i had to be restitched again but tissue was removed because it was so bad. I was told by my midwife to go for a section if i went again. So here i am and of course the consultant basically said that he thought i would be fine that he would electively cut if needs be and he would "fix" me properly afterwards so that the longest recovery period for me this time would be 6weeks. On my first it took 9months and 5 months on my second very slow and very painful. He said i should of returned to hospital after 6weeks if i wasnt happy but my gp at the time said it takes time some people heal faster blah blah ... so ! He said that i can have an elective section if i wanted but he was completely against it but ultimately its my choice. So im really confused but so annoyed also because he was very condescending and said a 10lb baby was a normal baby not too big (that was the weight of my last baby) this baby is reading 5weeks ahead for weight so could be bigger again. Im just worn out wondering what is the best thing to do for both baby and me and would love to hear more from people who have some experience similar or who have had sections please. Thank you for reading !

• Advertisement

I had zero complications after both sections. First time I was completely recovered within a month. Second time was even better and I was fine after two weeks. I know more women who had complications after vaginal births than sections, especially with tears and stitches getting infected. My consultant was quite pro section over dealing with serious tearing though, and had experience of dealing with women who ended up with vaginal and perineal problems. Having seen someone close to me take months to recover after her births, I wouldn't put myself through it if I knew it had been a problem before.
    Tell the doctor to cut out the condescending attitude btw! You're having the baby not him.

Thank you lazygal its just heading into the unknown again and im not convinced this man has any empathy or understanding and is arrogant towards how he thinks it will turn out. i understand he is a surgeon but he is not god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

I had an elective section in 2013. I have bad hips and I used that as my case. I still fought them to the last as the consultant was against it.

I had my son on a Wednesday. I had skin on skin straight away and I got to hold him. 2 hours later I had a reaction to the spinal blockage whereby I was vomiting for 6 hours straight so missed the first day with him. Again my husband was worried for me but he got to spend those hours with him and cherished them. I was up and about the next day. My scar healed quickly I was very lucky. A week and a half later I was walking short trips and I felt great.

My only regret was telling people I was booked in for a section and it was torture listening to people's opinions. 2 days post CS still in hospital, husbands gran gave out to me, calling me a lazy cow. I ran to the bathroom crying my eyes out.

Anyway, I think each woman to their each choices!

Thank you saysay19 what matters is you are both ok that is all !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I researched which of the consultants in my local hospital would be elective section friendly before my second pregnancy. I know how vulnerable we are in this country whilst pregnant, being treated like stupid children and having our bodily autonomy shushed away. So I really didn't want to get into that. I told the consultant what I wanted. She produced a list of possible outcomes and complications of both birth options along with the stats and allowed me to make my own decisions, given the information. Treated me like a person basically, and didn't treat my previous mental trauma as a funny little anecdote as so many others seemed to.

You know what you want. Tell him. And if he's against it he can hand the surgery off to one of his colleagues.

(Sorry, reading your post has made me so mad!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Saysay19 wrote: »
    I had an elective section in 2013. I have bad hips and I used that as my case. I still fought them to the last as the consultant was against it.

I had my son on a Wednesday. I had skin on skin straight away and I got to hold him. 2 hours later I had a reaction to the spinal blockage whereby I was vomiting for 6 hours straight so missed the first day with him. Again my husband was worried for me but he got to spend those hours with him and cherished them. I was up and about the next day. My scar healed quickly I was very lucky. A week and a half later I was walking short trips and I felt great.

My only regret was telling people I was booked in for a section and it was torture listening to people's opinions. 2 days post CS still in hospital, boyfriends gran gave out to me, calling me a lazy cow. I ran to the bathroom crying my eyes out.

Anyway, I think each woman to their each choices!

I went around telling people I was too posh to push. Messing clearly, but it sure shut the arsey ones up before they started. :p

Awful your OH's gran having a go at you in the hospital. Compassion must have bypassed her.

You can request not to be treated by a consultant if you don't want him to. If I have another baby I'll return to my previous consultant and I'll be putting in my notes that I will not consent to treatment from one other consultant due to a very bad experience last time. Would another consultant be an option? Even as a public patient you can ask for someone else to treat you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I went around telling people I was too posh to push. Messing clearly, but it sure shut the arsey ones up before they started. :p

Awful your OH's gran having a go at you in the hospital. Compassion must have bypassed her.

I'm used to having smart comebacks for her, just not that day!

I do tell people I was too posh to posh now and laugh at their reactions :-) Talking about trying for our second in the next few months and again I will be going for an elective csection!

Thanks everyone for the reply's and i think ill sleep better tonight because of It. Thank you, I will be telling my consultant my decision and if he decides to pass me onto someone else that's ok with me ! Sick of being bullied and made feel like i have no say! Ill be going back in two weeks more determined thanks ladies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I chose an elective c-section after a previous loss at (natural) birth and even then I was told '' you know, there's nothing to stop your body being able to give birth naturally again - it has already done it once''
    - yeah and look how well that turned out!

Well I got my c-section and my lovely healthy little boy and I'm going for another one in October, and fcek the begrudgers

Advertisement