Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punting - why value is the key

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

hucklebuck wrote: »
    If you were that profitable why were you in Huntleys log looking for his selections?

While I had a look through there I could see Rover has posted a bit there too.

Interesting that the person who is on his second user account has two people arguing with the theory of large numbers while he took a sabbatical.

Haha I just got what you meant there now. You think that me, Huntley and Rover are the same person? OK my real name is James Hunt and I drive a Rover, because I lost all my money gambling and can't afford a decent car. (sorry James)

Conspiracy Theories forum
    >

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Without winners, value would become irrelevant

I would take a placed 16/1 at €1 ew over a 1/1 winner with a €2 win stake, value is not exclusive to winners

You'd make a lot more backing Huntley's selections than pr1cking about with PP enhancements on soccer :pac:

I would take a placed 16/1 at €1 ew ............

Level stakes win and place bets :)
    Bookies wet dream, well done dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

"I cannot accept a view that:

1. Violates a mathematical rigouous idea
    2. is backed u with mere conjecture"

Therein lies your difficulty in understanding that Value isn't necessarily the key.

I've read all your posts and agree with your maths based facts, but I can also see that a disciplined punter can turn a profit without making value their key consideration when selecting a horse to bet on.

As I stated, imo, your being too dogmatic - perhaps in time, you'll look back and go, cripes, I went a bit overboard there. Or maybe you won't. You believe value is key. I think its a secondary consideration - I could see someone opening a thread & title it "Why Backing winners is key" & I would equally see from that angle why you could argue that as dogmatically as you have your opinion here. We won't fall out over it!!

Great thread.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    What are you suggesting?
    Please do spell it out so we can laugh at what a silly chap you are making yourself out to be.

Spell it out? And I thought you were reading between the lines :confused:
    What sabbatical are you referring to btw?

Huntleys, it's in my conspiracy theory :D
    Also it's clear from my posts I have no issue with the law of large numbers, when applied correctly. N/A with regard to selective punting as it's not throws of the dice we are talking about.

I know you don't, I think the issue is if you always bet on value then that is your constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

If you were that profitable why were you in Huntleys log looking for his selections?

While I had a look through there I could see Rover has posted a bit there too.

Interesting that the person who is on his second user account has two people arguing with the theory of large numbers while he took a sabbatical.

I enjoy the comedy aspect that you bring to the forum hucklebuck. Not making any comparisons here but I was wondering why the village clown hadn't yet emerged so to speak.

I was in Huntleys thread because he's proven to be successful, and I value his opinion, often he punts the same horse as me. Great minds and all that eh.
    You think I wasn't profitable and that I made that up? Or would I not be allowed to look at a thread on the internet because my accounts were positive?

I think if you are that good at finding winners on your own why would you be asking someone else in their betting log what they were backing.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say about a second user account as I've only ever had one. I changed my name as a joke alright, but it should be back to normal in the morning.

I wasn't talking about you it was Hunt(l)ey.

Level stakes win and place bets :)
    Bookies wet dream, well done dude.

Another point missed, good job! I was trying to keep it simple as people keep missing the proven maths element, maybe I should have done it using apples;)

Are we not discussing value and ROI?

It's tosh to suggest it's all about winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

Lads, I'm off to join Colonel in the sack..good night....:D

• Advertisement

Huntley wrote: »
    I enjoy the comedy aspect that you bring to the forum hucklebuck. Not making any comparisons here but I was wondering why the village clown hadn't yet emerged so to speak.

Sweet Jesus, you are Anne Robinson too?

Welcome back by the way, it's been quiet.

Haha I just got what you meant there now. You think that me, Huntley and Rover are the same person? OK my real name is James Hunt and I drive a Rover, because I lost all my money gambling and can't afford a decent car. (sorry James)

Conspiracy Theories forum
    >

Brilliant.

Take your time lad, any plans to change your name to James Huntl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

Huntley, do you really want someone to go through your logs and point out how the majority of your selections are done on value grounds and not on what horse has the clear best chance in the race. You seem to be claiming that they arent done on value grounds.

The point is that those who claim they are beating Colonel Sanders's mathematics aren't. Everything is down to value. Would be very interested to know why Huntly puts up a level stakes profit rather than a basic winners to losers.

Once price is a factor at all, value determines whether you win or lose. Its not that hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Huntley I find it ironic that you are calling someone the village clown :D
    What is the marker to decide whether the bookie is wrong? The only marker is the selection winning, in which case the bookies price should always be lower than what was offered. (Essentially no price should be offered)

Do you still stand by this comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Morgans wrote: »
    Huntley, do you really want someone to go through your logs and point out how the majority of your selections are done on value grounds and not on what horse has the clear best chance in the race. You seem to be claiming that they arent done on value grounds.

The point is that those who claim they are beating Colonel Sanders's mathematics aren't. Everything is down to value. Would be very interested to know why Huntly puts up a level stakes profit rather than a basic winners to losers.

Once price is a factor at all, value determines whether you win or lose. Its not that hard to understand.

It is very hard to understand I think you'll find

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I LOL'd at that!

"I cannot accept a view that:

1. Violates a mathematical rigouous idea
    2. is backed u with mere conjecture"

Therein lies your difficulty in understanding that Value isn't necessarily the key.

I've read all your posts and agree with your maths based facts, but I can also see that a disciplined punter can turn a profit without making value their key consideration when selecting a horse to bet on.

As I stated, imo, your being too dogmatic - perhaps in time, you'll look back and go, cripes, I went a bit overboard there. Or maybe you won't. You believe value is key. I think its a secondary consideration - I could see someone opening a thread & title it "Why Backing winners is key" & I would equally see from that angle why you could argue that as dogmatically as you have your opinion here. We won't fall out over it!!

Great thread.

Precisely, there isn't only one way/system to follow to make money from gambling.

The fact that several of the bets in Huntley's logs are each way suggests that price is the key determinant of the level of profit or loss.

The fact that many of the bets in the log use Betfair prices (best value?????) than SP suggests that price is the key determinant of profit or loss.

Why not just put up the winners in your log and leave the value take care of itself. Why change your staking plan?

Here are some of the more explicitly stated uses of value in selection. The more abstract use of value - (the mere mention of prices) can be argued in every post in the log.

Askanna
    The favourite has the form in the book but if Askanna can return to her Spring form from last season she should have a very good chance to go close. The trip of 2 and a half miles is probably on the tight side but I'm willing to take a chance at the price.

Silvinaco Conti
    The fact he has been prepared for this race is a massive advantage and any juice that gets into the ground will only improve his chances. There is very little in it on ratings but I think he is slightly overpriced and am hoping with conditions to suit he will land another Grade 2 novice chase for connections.

Fingal Bay
    Hobbs has his string firing at the minute and I think that minor setback is the only reason why this horse isn't odds on.

Saphir River
    There was 50/1 around for a brief couple of minutes but that is long gone, and I am satisfied to have an experimental punt at 25's.

Why bet on two horses in the grand national, other than the fact that their prices represented value?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Poor Colonel, been somewhat similar arguments on the poker forums from time to time from equally misguided people.

Better off calling it a day before your head explodes or you put your foot through the computer.

Morgans - I have continually stated that I take account of value, but that I place more importance on being able to read race form and select winners. I don't publicise my bets anymore but even in the logs anything I bet on was because I felt that it had the best chance of winning. Hope this clears things up for you and feel free to further critique my selections, that is what they are there for.

As to why I laid out my bets as I did, it was for mitigating reasons that do not concern anybody. Rest assured that the concept of my betting wasn't drastically altered as a result, I select the horse that I think is the most likely winner.

• Advertisement

Morgans - I have continually stated that I take account of value, but that I place more importance on being able to read race form and select winners. I don't publicise my bets anymore but even in the logs anything I bet on was because I felt that it had the best chance of winning. Hope this clears things up for you and feel free to further critique my selections, that is what they are there for.

As to why I laid out my bets as I did, it was for mitigating reasons that do not concern anybody. Rest assured that the concept of my betting wasn't drastically altered as a result, I select the horse that I think is the most likely winner.

Even when you select two horses in the same race.

When does a horse become an each way bet and not win only?

When does a horse you think will win become worthy of a bet?

So, while you are understandably keen to point to your logs on here as evidence of your methods, in this case, it shows that while you may not think it, and too stubborn to give in to Colonel Sanders and thousands of years of mathematics, you are up to your wazoo in value betting. You would not have tipped up horses like Saphir River at 1/2.

You simply saying that it is, despite all the evidence to the contrary, doesn't mean that it is. You clearly were interested in price, in finding the best price for selections, in picking horses each way when you thought their was a value in doing so, and when needs be, selecting two horses in the same race.

Why bet each way when you are picking the horse most likely to win?

Why pick two horses in the same race, if you are only picking the horses that are most likely to win?

Morgans wrote: »
    So, while you are understandably keen to point to your logs on here as evidence of your methods, in this case, it shows that while you may not think it, and too stubborn to give in to Colonel Sanders and thousands of years of mathematics, you are up to your wazoo in value betting. You would not have tipped up horses like Saphir River at 1/2.

You simply saying that it is, despite all the evidence to the contrary, doesn't mean that it is. You clearly were interested in price, in finding the best price for selections, in picking horses each way when you thought their was a value in doing so, and when needs be, selecting two horses in the same race.

Why bet each way when you are picking the horse most likely to win?

Why pick two horses in the same race, if you are only picking the horses that are most likely to win?

If I pick two horses in a race then I think both are equally likely to win. I thought that would be self explanatory considering my previous stance on betting.

I have already explained the rest in my previous post. If you want to rabble on and repeat yourself you can do so without the benefit of my time. *Cue the impending ridicule and sharp comments from other quality posters*

mdwexford wrote: »
    Poor Colonel, been somewhat similar arguments on the poker forums from time to time from equally misguided people.

Better off calling it a day before your head explodes or you put your foot through the computer.

I'm pretty sure you were one of the many misguided regular posters of this forum who had the 2012 Gold Cup down as a two horse race ;)

How I laughed at that muck.

I'm pretty sure you were one of the many misguided regular posters of this forum who had the 2012 Gold Cup down as a two horse race ;)

How I laughed at that muck.

Why do you put smilies in that dont have any relevance to your post.

It was a two horse race, why you thought otherwise and backed the winner did you.

Not sure what this has to do your inability to grasp basic math concepts but anyway, back to crawling up Huntleys butt with you. (No offence Huntley)

It was a two horse race, why you thought otherwise and backed the winner did you.

I did actually :)

Lol at how you still maintain it was a two horse race, you must have lost your arse on that event as it was so valuesome.

If you had that down as a two horse race you literally have no clue, the bookies would never get it that wrong, 15% dude, 15%, the SPs are there for all to see, two horse race, CHUCKLE CHUCKLE CHUCKLE.

If it was a two horse race they'd have both been between 5/6 and 11/10 (or alternatives if one was much better) ;) There's a basic mathematical concept for you to attempt to grasp, CS might give you a grind ;)

Not sure what this has to do your inability to grasp basic math concepts but anyway, back to crawling up Huntleys butt with you. (No offence Huntley)

I've the concepts grasped very well cheers, as mentioned I'll be laying up to 4000 short priced horses in 2013 and will hopefully make €10k between now and the end of September in doing so :)

I'm far from a crawler, but that comment does illustrate what sort of chap you are, big man behind the keyboard etc etc etc.

You'd probably sh1t yourself if someone bumped into you oustside the local chipper ;)

Shows how clueless you are then if thats the kind of bet you come up with.

I had a medium bet on Long Run fwiw.

I am aware of the math but Im not a regular punter or anything like it, I might back 5 horses a year outside of the festival.
    I do just back a few horses I think will win and try and get the best prices I can and am aware I will lose money over my lifetime, im fine with it.

Good for you, I hope you have continued success.

Yes im a real shrinking violet.

To be fair the bookies aren't going to price up the gold cup too incorrectly, if you still maintain it was a two horse race than considering the prices its you who is clueless, regardless of the result. You're as well off backing very few horses, but, you know that anyway :D

• Advertisement

To be fair the bookies aren't going to price up the gold cup too incorrectly, if you still maintain it was a two horse race than considering the prices its you who is clueless, regardless of the result. You're as well off backing very few horses, but, you know that anyway :D

I didnt like any of the 8/1 shots, I thought the top two should have been shorter. On the day the pig won, it happens.

I know that because I have better things to be doing with my time than the amount of work it takes to be successful at horse racing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement