Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Like everything different things are required by different people. Not one phone suits all people. I seen that earlier in the thread people where requesting 4g, of which very few of the chinese android devices offer.

That cheap smartphone offers expandable storage also. So for someone that needs 4g, does not need to install a huge amounts of apps, does not need the latest screen or a good camera. Then it would not be a bad option.

A free sim could be ordered to get it for 79euro.

Plus there is something to be said for buying from a bricks and motor shop. If there is a major problem then it is less of a headache.

Anything worth buying from china you are probably talking 150euro all in. For that yes you would have a better phone than that one, but at the end of the day it is also twice the price.

I think the majority of people are interested in chinese phone solely because they offer much better specs for the money. For this reason they are willing to take the risk. If the balance shifts then they would no longer be interested in chinese phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

spix wrote: »
    But you have to move your number to vodaphone which for the majority of people probably isn't worth it. Their pre pay plans don't look too impressive compared to meteor.

Say you really want 4G, here's a better option from China (providing you don't mind large screens) for 107 euro.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-5-5-Coolpad-8730L-4G-FDD-LTE-Phone-Qualcomm-Quad-Core-CPU-Android-4-3/1945981020.html

IPS screen, better cameras, 8gb internal storage, unlocked

I guess but you can just get a payg sim from anther network and move that number over for free. then pay a few quid and get an unlock code if you want to save a bit of money.

I'm just saying it has alot of things going for it, 4G,Kitkat,good processor.
    I dont think the coolpad is any better or indeed worse than that. Bigger screen but probably the same PPI as the Vodafone one.
    But to be able to walk int a shop and buy it is a good option with not much out there. I'm sure Jiayu might have something in that pricerange too but again wit similar specs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

eamonnq wrote: »
    But that one is not ONLY for the Chinese market ( or am I missing something ). They also have it listed with FREE DHL SHIPPING ( at 112 euro ), so not FREE but if you were in a hurry for it (and don't mind paying VAT and DHL handling fee) it might be worth it.

No gyro so would not work with my Google Cardboard, but the screen might be too big to fit into it anyway!!
    How are you getting on with Google Cardboard? What phone are you using? I got scammed by an Indigogo for them, had to ring Mastercard for a chargeback, waiting for an Ebay one to come now...

This could be the best bang for buck phone out there when its released.

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/09/04/hands-iuni-u3/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

seannash wrote: »

Wow, this is why Im waiting until near Christmas to upgrade to 4G, there are some seriously good phones on the way that are all going to be competing with each other...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Most reviews I've seen of phones with 2k res on 5.5" say they can't tell any difference.

They should just put a 1920x1080 screen on it. Would give better battery life and cheaper price (probably)

Most reviews I've seen of phones with 2k res on 5.5" say they can't tell any difference.

They should just put a 1920x1080 screen on it. Would give better battery life and cheaper price (probably)
    True but its not its only selling point. Its a great looking phone and the specs are very good for the pricepoint.
    Dual sim
    3,000mAh Battery

Size wise it appears to deliver what OPO promised, a 5.5" screen in a 5" phones body

The camera looks great on paper

"The main snapper is a 13MP unit with Sony sensor and optical image stabilization. The front-facing camera on the other hand is a 4MP UltraPixel solution, lifted straight from the HTC One (M7)"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That looks amazing. I really like the look of the green one :)

True but its not its only selling point. Its a great looking phone and the specs are very good for the pricepoint.
    Dual sim
    3,000mAh Battery

Size wise it appears to deliver what OPO promised, a 5.5" screen in a 5" phones body

The camera looks great on paper

"The main snapper is a 13MP unit with Sony sensor and optical image stabilization. The front-facing camera on the other hand is a 4MP UltraPixel solution, lifted straight from the HTC One (M7)"

Hopefully IUNI will release an English rom for it, because their other phones so far have been strictly Chinese only. Definitely a good price, but don't forget the reseller markup.

Hopefully IUNI will release an English rom for it, because their other phones so far have been strictly Chinese only. Definitely a good price, but don't forget the reseller markup.
    Yep they have an English version of the ROM.

Yeah the markup will be the worry alright but it might still come in as a bargain. Its standard model is 32gb aswell.
    Happy to see another good option as I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Meizu and Mi4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Pulled the trigger on the THL 5000, couldn't really see any negatives with it for that price. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds...

Also got a Xiaomi Redmi 1S as a a gift, bought them both from mixeshop. They were about 20 euros cheaper from aliexpress but shipping times were much longer and I wasn't sure if I'd get caught for customs or not.

2 phones for about the same price as a 2nd hand or refurb htc one from ebay which I almost bought, I'll be happy enough if they both work.

The Chinese; a great bunch of lads... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

That new IUNI looks great but in holding out for the Meizu MX4 Pro to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

rickyjb wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on the THL 5000, couldn't really see any negatives with it for that price. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds...

Also got a Xiaomi Redmi 1S as a a gift, bought them both from mixeshop. They were about 20 euros cheaper from aliexpress but shipping times were much longer and I wasn't sure if I'd get caught for customs or not.

What shipping option did you choose on Mixeshop as you may get caught for customs with them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Netherlands Post.

Aristotle mentioned earlier in this thread that there would be no customs charges with Dutch post from mixeshop so I went with them based on that. Fingers crossed.

Anyone on here have a THL 5000? I'm a bit worried about the GPS, mixed accounts about it online 1 review says it's poor and another couple said it was fine. Guess I'll find out.

rickyjb wrote: »
    Netherlands Post.

Aristotle mentioned earlier in this thread that there would be no customs charges with Dutch post from mixeshop so I went with them based on that. Fingers crossed.

I am not sure that that is correct, but hopefully you don't get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So when do the Chinese versions of the Galaxy Note Edge start showing up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Hi everyone! So I finally got the newman back vut it needs gapps. So I have just decided to pass it on. If your intered pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

you can just flash gapps. Its a 10 second job.
    What android version are you on?

I am not sure that that is correct, but hopefully you don't get caught.

It is. If you go through Dutch Post you won't be hit by customs.

It is. If you go through Dutch Post you won't be hit by customs.
    I deal with Dutch post all the time and its honestly a lottery on whether or not you get hit by customs.
    The reason being is that DHL,FEDEX and any courier have to declare the contents of there package however as far as I understand the postal services are subject to spot checks (roughly 50/50)

• Advertisement

I deal with Dutch post all the time and its honestly a lottery on whether or not you get hit by customs.
    The reason being is that DHL,FEDEX and any courier have to declare the contents of there package however as far as I understand the postal services are subject to spot checks (roughly 50/50)

That's interesting. Going via Dutch post used to be a guaranteed way of avoiding customs as they container ship them to the Netherlands and then ship it on from there so it appears as if it is coming from the EU. They must have copped on.

That's interesting. Going via Dutch post used to be a guaranteed way of avoiding customs as they container ship them to the Netherlands and then ship it on from there so it appears as if it is coming from the EU. They must have copped on.
    Yeah they got wise to that. The reason I know is I have to create multiple commercial invoices for DutchPost in my job declaring contents.
    The container contents will be spot checked.
    Definitely the best option if you want to avoid it but not guaranteed.

An mi3 that I impulse bought during the aliexpress sale has arrived. Apparently this is an Irish adpater

28c222w.jpg

Has anyone actually ever received the proper adapter? I don't think sellers like sending them as they're bulky compared to the EU and whatever this one this.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭90sBla

My thl 5000 will be here on Monday or Tuesday. I'll post a quick review

An mi3 that I impulse bought during the aliexpress sale has arrived. Apparently this is an Irish adpater

Has anyone actually ever received the proper adapter? I don't think sellers like sending them as they're bulky compared to the EU and whatever this one this.

I have received them, but tend not to use them (or the chargers that they supply. USB chargers are readily available.

http://www.peatswholesale.ie/421475-DUAL-USB-CHARGER.html

Like that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Do you know if its the same kind of lottery with Swedish post and Swiss post? I see a number of Chinese suppliers are offering these options now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mayogal2014

Hi my order is being brought by DHL

does anyone know what sort of customs charges i'll be looking at

phone €87.91
    shipping €16.62
    total €104.53

thanks for the help

Hi my order is being brought by DHL

does anyone know what sort of customs charges i'll be looking at

phone €87.91
    shipping €16.62
    total €104.53

thanks for the help

about 30-40 euro

23% vat on the 104.53 + a DHL handling charge

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mayogal2014

about 30-40 euro

thanks am hoping it makes it through :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

it doesn't make it through DHL usually.

You'll be paying most liekly on whatever value is declared on the package.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement