Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For people who depend on the weather/prefer milder weather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I'd say most of Ireland will avoid snow this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I don't mind some cold blast of weather in the month of December and January. The weather gurus are talking about a very cold frosty February. The extreme cold will not be welcomed by me when my cows start having calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Crap! It looks like it's going to be a horrible weekend and week to come cold wise. I can't bear the thoughts of it. Trying to keep warm... trying to keep the washing machine from freezing overnight and staying frozen, getting the kids to wear cold weather gear instead of just teeshirts. Getting down the damn rise from where we live and then back up again without ending up in A&E being wrapped in vinegar and brown paper. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

looking like we're not going to get the major snow event we thought we would get just yet. THANK GOD! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

looking like we're not going to get the major snow event we thought we would get just yet. the variables between patterns and time scales! :D

Christianity forum is that way, ↑ thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

According to M.E. it will be getting slightly warmer again for the second half of next week... Thankfully...

Saturday night will be dry and calm but very cold with a widespread sharp to severe air and ground frost with the risk of freezing fog and icy patches. Sunday will be bright and mostly dry but very cold with frost and fog lingering in some inland and northern areas. Rain will spread in from the southwest during Sunday night accompanied by fresh southeast winds, and the rain will turn to sleet or snow over the midlands north and east - especially over high ground. Monday will be a cold mostly cloudy day with occasional wintry showers of hail or sleet with a continuing risk of snow over high ground. After a sharp night frost, Tuesday will be cold again with scattered wintry showers - these mainly near coasts, but many places will remain dry. Then more rain will spread countrywide from the west on Wednesday night, introducing somewhat less cold conditions for the latter part of the week, but it will remain changeable and unsettled.

http://www.rte.ie/weather/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

slowburner wrote: »
    Snow is a novelty on this temperate island of ours, so it's unsurprising that many of us eagerly anticipate a change from the usual gloomy winter weather.
    The things we associate with snowfall; the reflected light, the silence, the fun and games, the disruption of the routine, are all a welcome diversion from the mundanities of everyday life and a reminder that we are Mother Nature's children, not her manager.
    But spare a thought for people who suffer in the snow. Not just farmers - anyone who works outdoors suffers in this weather.
    And think of those who are struggling financially; all the extra expense, the heating, the drying, the transport problems.
    If you're young, fit, work indoors and financially carefree, snow is great fun.
    If you're not, snow is a serious challenge.

Last time I felt it was a novelty was when I was a child, no school, burst pipes, easy peasy, out for snowfights, and that light is amazing, you're right.

What adult doesn't have responsibilities of some sort to get around in the snow? My job is of the type that I cannot just say I can't make it because it's snowing. I have to try at all costs to make it into work, normally taking an hour to two hours longer than normal, freezing cold, shivering, soaking wet, miserable, all to get into work and be told to go home three hours later in order to make it home that night. Cue another 3 hour journey, rinse and repeat. What adult is also financially carefree in these times? Not a lot. Snow is for postcards, children, and people on ski-ing holidays - or any holiday, Not for real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm still ok here in North Tipperary thankfully. It's sunny but cold at the moment, we had a bit of light rain earlier on. Fingers crossed that it stays that way, I don't mind the cold temperatures at all it's just snow I dislike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Babooshka wrote: »
    Last time I felt it was a novelty was when I was a child, no school, burst pipes, easy peasy, out for snowfights, and that light is amazing, you're right.

What adult doesn't have responsibilities of some sort to get around in the snow? My job is of the type that I cannot just say I can't make it because it's snowing. I have to try at all costs to make it into work, normally taking an hour to two hours longer than normal, freezing cold, shivering, soaking wet, miserable, all to get into work and be told to go home three hours later in order to make it home that night. Cue another 3 hour journey, rinse and repeat. What adult is also financially carefree in these times? Not a lot. Snow is for postcards, children, and people on ski-ing holidays - or any holiday, Not for real life.
    Well said.
    Today, I would have preferred snow to the unrelenting rain. My house sits beside a small stream, and today that stream became a raging torrent.
    You could hear boulders banging together as they tumbled downstream.
    Thankfully, a chap I know who has a serious pump, happened to be in the area and I was able to get a hold of him despite the network being down.
    If he hadn't been around, there's no doubt I'd be mopping up through the night and tomorrow.
    Somehow I doubt the equivalent amount of snow would have been as threatening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

slowburner wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt the equivalent amount of snow would have been as threatening.

The rain, much of it, should have been snow. It wasn't and it became voluminous 'tropical' rain. One may have noticed how soft it was, warm even and how wet everything got with vast puddle collections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

nothing interesting happening with the weather and nothing interesting on the horizon either so I think I'll take the opportunity to remind those who like mild, wet, dull, gloomy, dismal, dreary endless cloudy days what bad weather is like. This is "bad" weather in Stockholm.
    Get me outta here!!

http://www.webbkameror.se/golfkameror/ullnagc/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

Toys getting thrown out of pram in the ramping thread.
    Quite a pleasant afternoon in the midlands.
    Looks like the cold doom promised consistently by some is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

cml387 wrote: »
    Toys getting thrown out of pram in the ramping thread.
    Quite a pleasant afternoon in the midlands.
    Looks like the cold doom promised consistently by some is not going to happen.
    Noticed that alright, we had a lovely mild calm Saturday here in Wexford.
    Spent the day outside pottering about sorting out a few things in the garden/car while my two daughters played in the yard..spring can't come soon enough for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Well we are still not out of February, once March comes one can be more hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

im glad im not nuts on the cold/snow cause this year would have me pulling my hair out with all the hype and no substance.... just hopin that the rolls dont get reversed..i.e weather models predicting some milder weather and we get pulled into the freezer...another couple of weeks and we will be out of the woods:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I've forgotten what sunshine feels like.
    The last time the skies were blue, there was no heat at all in the sun.

The unrelenting rain must be causing all sorts of problems for folks who live their lives close to the land.
    When is the last time there were two days' drying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

this winter has been awful. i suffer winter depression, and the last two months have been horrible. the ground is sopping wet and mucky. floods in fields, debris everywhere on the roads from the rain and wind storms...can't get the damp cold out of my bones!
    it's just awful! my spring flowers also seem to be struggling more this year.
    i really can't wait for some warmer DRY weather!

A lot of people are sick of winter and with the evenings getting longer, most are loking forward to the nice dry, mild to warm days to come.
    Plus the cost of heating is high.

This is a response to the ramping thread where one person wondered why isn't the forum hoping, when cold miserable, bad farming weather for grass is forecasted.

Last February was beautiful, dry, mild, sunny. Beats cold and snow, hands down.

desperately want the atlantic to say F U to the recent forecast of cold weather and snow from Europe.

Come on Atlantic! Show us some sweet sweet loving! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

desperately want the atlantic to say F U to the recent forecast of cold weather and snow from Europe.

you wont be playing any golf in the Atlantic comes in ,

You want the high pressure to sit over us , giving a slack flow , might be nippy but it will be dry and sunny ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It will for the entire summer.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Min wrote: »
    A lot of people are sick of winter and with the evenings getting longer, most are loking forward to the nice dry, mild to warm days to come.
    Plus the cost of heating is high.

This is a response to the ramping thread where one person wondered why isn't the forum hoping, when cold miserable, bad farming weather for grass is forecasted.

Last February was beautiful, dry, mild, sunny. Beats cold and snow, hands down.
    So you don't think that dry weather is welcome? do you really come from a farming background?
    I have relatives not far from your part of the country (the southeast) and I've been to two funerals since Christmas and from conservations I've had I know that anyone with land would take any dry weather at this stage.
    I have absolutely no idea how you could describe a good drying easterly as bad farming weather after months of non stop rain!
    I also know that grass growth doesn't really get going until around St Patricks Day and not mid feb as the nights are still long.

So you don't think that dry weather is welcome? do you really come from a farming background?
    I have relatives not far from your part of the country (the southeast) and I've been to two funerals since Christmas and from conservations I've had I know that anyone with land would take any dry weather at this stage.
    I have absolutely no idea how you could describe a good drying easterly as bad farming weather after months of non stop rain!
    I also know that grass growth doesn't really get going until around St Patricks Day and not mid feb as the nights are still long.

Grass doesn't grow when soil temperatures are below 6C, which they currently are, doesn't matter if it is dry if the soil temperatures are too low as the animals will have nothing to eat if the grass isn't growing.

We had some grass growth during the winter during the milder spells. Cold frosty weather if severe will just burn the grass.
    I just want a February like last year as I had the cows out early, no hope this year.
    From my weather station
    Mean                              Deg   Deg         Wind                 Dom
    Day Temp  High   Time   Low    Time   Days  Days  Rain  Speed High   Time    Dir
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     1   0.7   3.3   13:50  -1.2   07:36  17.6   0.0   0.0   4.4  25.7   12:56   ESE
     2  -0.4   3.2   14:12  -2.4   08:06  18.6   0.0   0.0   2.0  20.9   12:40    SE
     3   2.0   5.0   13:13  -1.9   00:00  15.9   0.0   0.2   7.0  32.2   13:23     S
     4   6.0   8.1   16:28   3.1   23:55  12.3   0.0   4.6  14.8  41.8   16:43    SW
     5   4.6   6.3   14:32   2.8   00:15  13.0   0.0   0.6   4.9  16.1   00:50     W
     6   7.2   8.9   12:56   5.6   23:41   9.4   0.0   1.0   4.2  22.5   08:30     N
     7   4.8   6.7   14:23   2.8   19:23  12.6   0.0   0.0   1.6  24.1   13:51    SE
     8   3.8   4.6   23:55   3.1   16:52  14.5   0.0   0.0  ----  45.1   12:18     S
     9   7.1   8.9   14:30   4.6   00:00  11.2   0.0   1.4  ----  30.6   00:35   SSW
    10   8.3  10.2   15:16   6.3   19:06   9.7   0.0   0.6  ----  30.6   23:42   SSW
    11   5.8   6.5   00:00   5.2   07:50  12.2   0.0  11.8  ----  33.8   12:19     S
    12   5.3   6.0   03:59   4.3   12:00  13.0   0.0   0.0  ----  19.3   18:18    NW
    13   5.7   7.4   14:39   4.5   02:51  12.1   0.0   0.2  ----  45.1   16:35   NNW
    14   6.1   7.7   12:30   4.3   09:30  12.0   0.0   0.2  ----  46.7   23:30   NNW
    15   7.0   8.3   12:51   5.9   21:30  10.0   0.0   0.0  ----  51.5   01:30   NNW
    16   7.4   8.8   13:24   5.3   04:30   9.7   0.0   0.2  ----  33.8   13:55     W
    17   9.1  10.5   14:42   6.9   23:39   8.9   0.0   0.0  ----  41.8   20:14     W
    18   4.6   7.6   07:17   0.4   22:59  13.7   0.0   3.0  ----  78.9   15:38   WNW
    19   3.0   7.4   14:27   0.4   04:43  14.7   0.0   0.2  ----  29.0   00:00     W
    20   6.1   8.4   13:53   2.6   04:00  11.1   0.0   0.0  ----  43.5   10:29    SW
    21   9.2  11.4   13:46   7.8   07:22   9.1   0.0   0.2  ----  41.8   15:26   SSW
    22  11.0  12.9   13:48   9.1   01:22   7.3   0.0   3.2  ----  53.1   03:35    SW
    23  11.6  13.7   13:45  10.1   23:59   6.3   0.0   0.0  ----  45.1   12:07   WSW
    24   8.7  10.3   05:30   4.9   19:25   8.5   0.0   0.2  ----  33.8   05:00     W
    25   6.7   8.8   15:12   4.8   09:30   9.8   0.0   0.2  ----  20.9   14:36   WNW
    26   7.5  10.2   14:12   5.1   03:00  10.2   0.0   1.0  ----  27.4   18:08   SSW
    27   9.2  10.9   15:15   8.0   00:00   6.6   0.0   1.2  ----  30.6   14:50    SW
    28   9.7  11.6   13:31   7.6   23:55   3.6   0.0   0.2  ----  20.9   01:26   WSW
    29   8.7  11.7   14:47   7.2   02:19   5.3   0.0   0.0  ----  41.8   15:36   SSW
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         6.4  13.7    23    -2.4     2   318.9   0.0  30.2   6.1  78.9    18     SSW

The second half of February last year, mild and mostly dry. This February has been colder and wetter.

you wont be playing any golf in the Atlantic comes in ,

You want the high pressure to sit over us , giving a slack flow , might be nippy but it will be dry and sunny ,

thought you were saying we would get frosty weather. Cant play in the frost :)

Some of that horrible cold stuff on the way again..Would it ever just go away like...:mad:

Wednesday: Turning much colder during Wednesday especially in eastern areas with southeast winds freshen also. Most parts of the country will still remain dry but it could become cloudy for a while in eastern areas with some showery rain developing for a time, mostly near the coast but dying away again later. Frosty overnight.
    Very cold conditions are likely through the rest of the week and over next weekend with severe night frosts and icy conditions at times when skies are clear. Much of the country will be dry most of the time with a mix of cloud and sunny spells but some wintry showers are likely to come in off the Irish Sea to affect eastern and southeastern areas at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Beautiful mild sunny day again today, the city feels so much more alive and vibrant on days like this,long may it continue :cool:

Harps wrote: »
    Beautiful mild sunny day again today, the city feels so much more alive and vibrant on days like this,long may it continue :cool:

Same here in Cork..Beautiful day...

In before the cold snap arrives...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lovely out there, actually went out and ran the strimmer over the back garden. It wasn't really in any desperate need but the grass is 90% dry so it seemed crazy not to take advantage and avoid "the big mow" scenario at a later date.

Just had a look at the F1 GFS charts and in two weeks the south of France and Italy could be nearly in the twenties, obviously its so far out as to be useless but it does indicate how quickly cold can become warm once we hit March if the pressure Gods are smiling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah the difference between the end of February and the end of March can be staggering, we came close to 21C ourselves late last March which sadly enough was nearly the warmest week of the year!

• Advertisement

The last few woeful summers were preceded by exceptional spring weather.

If I had a choice, I would sacrifice an exceptional spring for a reasonably good summer.

Advertisement