Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hector Goes

Options
  • 07-01-2013 11:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Its a bit too much of a love-in with trendy priests, avoiding any mention of the church's failings.

It could have been made 25 years ago.

Although thats not so much a reflection on Hector but the antiquated workings of the church itself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I have no idea what it's supposed to be, travel show, comedy, parody. Think 'Hector in love with himself' might be close though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Watched 15 minutes of it and turned over. It was very dull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It reminds me of one of the many failed attempts by RTÉ to get us to speak Irish through the use of programmes like Anois s' Aris etc...

Only this time they want us to go back to mass.

I have to say that was seriously bad TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

I simply cannot watch RTE anymore.... nevermind this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Load of rubbish. The Congress preparations scene was taken directly out of Father Ted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Lapin wrote: »
    Its a bit too much of a love-in with trendy priests, avoiding any mention of the church's failings.

It could have been made 25 years ago.

Although thats not so much a reflection on Hector but the antiquated workings of the church itself.

Hector is RTE's very own village ediot......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Hector is RTE's very own village ediot......

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Pretty awful cathaholic propaganda. Hector comes off as a douche

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I watched it and was struck by the huge disconnect between the bishop and the priests. Hector could have got stuck in over the clerical abuse situation but I think he was trying to be happy clappy with the clergy. Maybe he's the wrong person to deal with an issue like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

drquirky wrote: »

Hector IS a douche

RTE should commission a show called "Hector Goes Away and Doesn't Come Back"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Oh God Hector = brain freeze. Is it my imagination or was he good a few years ago? When this came on I had to switch over. Because it was Hector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'd say Louis Theroux is shittin' himself

mikom wrote: »
    I'd say Louis Theroux is shittin' himself

lol .....:)
    gg2 wrote: »
    Oh God Hector = brain freeze. Is it my imagination or was he good a few years ago? When this came on I had to switch over. Because it was Hector.

he was never good, he's a one trick pony, knows nothing else than jumping round, shouting, seeking attention, putting his hand round peoples shoulder, talk simple shyte talk to them, its the same every time...
    Hector IS a douche

RTE should commission a show called "Hector Goes Away and Doesn't Come Back"

if only....
    drquirky wrote: »

totally ...its embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Rahooo rahoo rahoooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

An attrocious programme! Hector doing the usual roarin and shoutin, back slappin, hail fellow well met baloney, self obsessed. How boring? he chose to walk around his old school and yak to some old farts ad infinitum. The priests were the usual Father Ted look-i-likeys. I mean does Dárcy even believe the crap he spouts? Then he finishes the programme with a question that he doesnt even have the courage to answer.
    And we pay 160 a year for this rubbish? I wont be watching the next programme

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I thought it was very good of RTE to pay Hector to go around the country and meet old friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I have no idea what it's supposed to be, travel show, comedy, parody. Think 'Hector in love with himself' might be close though!

Yeah, I watched this and couldn't get my head around the context of it either. The ending was really weird where he posed that question as to whether he would bring his children to see the pope, if he visited Ireland tomorrow. The remainder of a programme was like a "big-up" for priests but the disconnect between the priests and bishop was very interesting and surprising. All the priests seemed open to married priests, women priests but the bishop binned it without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The show is called Hector Goes
    The four-part series sees Hector travelling across the island of Ireland in a 1979 Volkswagen camper van, delving into different communities in the country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Brutal tv.
    The highlight for me was the VW van - looked cool.

I thought he was going to look at Ireland before Christianity was introduced, and it's journey to virtual extinction since then.
    And what is going to happen next.

This was muck.
    Pictures from Croagh Patrick and the Papal Visit from the 70s.
    Trying to pretend that Knock etc is popular with young people...is he serious???

Could have been much better.
    Maybe I expected too much from RTE and Hector ("you'll never beat the Royals" - spare me please)

• Advertisement

The four-part series sees Hector travelling across the island of Ireland in a 1979 Volkswagen camper van, delving into different communities in the country

Anybody else notice anything odd about the van? I could have sworn that the outside shots showed a right hand drive while the interior ones where left. Maybe I shoulda gone to that Specsavers place.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It did cross my mind during the 15 minutes of it that I watched that Hector himself would make a good parish priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

At least Hector isn't wearing a cowboy hat and singing

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Anybody else notice anything odd about the van? I could have sworn that the outside shots showed a right hand drive while the interior ones where left. Maybe I shoulda gone to that Specsavers place.:D

Ah the reason for my confusion, for reasons best known to themselves they reversed the image. :D It's a left hand drive. 235442.jpg

/\ Hector Reminds me of Jimmy Saville , creepy, mouthy and had a camper van too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think it was more church bashing than Hector bashing that was behind this thread being started.:P

I make a special point of not watching his shows whoever he meets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Hector is painful. What a dose .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Hector is painful. What a dose .

But he does make exceeding good looking sandwiches, .......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Next week might be a bit better, he is going to meet Travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

Advertisement