Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here we go again, Nilhg's 2013 log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

This week:

Distance:211.07 km
    Time:7:54:13 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,530 m
    Avg Speed:26.7 km/h

A quieter week , got out two mornings, the first was a handy enough recovery spin after the WW200 and the next a bit a bit brisker, on the loop I often use around by Allenwood and the Hill of Allen.

Went to the EGM yesterday morning so missed out on a Saturday spin and today headed off with the lads from Headstrong to loop around over The Cut in the Slieve Blooms. It was a nice social spin with a sensible pace, there was some chat about taking in the Wolftrap after the Cut but in the end we didn't. I felt quite comfortable all day, possibly could have gone up the climb faster but hung in with the lads, I finished up with 120KM @ 26.3km/hr which I'm happy enough with.

http://app.strava.com/activities/60687757

Next weeks plan is to keep ticking over, I was hoping to do the Wicklow Peaks sportive in a fortnight but it's clashing with the Kildare-Dublin match in Croker so I don't know what'll happen on that score yet.

This week:

Distance:200.92 km
    Time:7:37:00 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,659 m
    Avg Speed:26.4 km/h

I felt quite tired early this week and decided to take things a bit easy during the week. I had a few jobs needed doing on the bike so got them done, first up was fitting new pedals and setting up the cleat position on my new shoes, I did that Monday with spins that evening and again on Wednesday to get the position right, nothing too strenuous just easy spinning.

My front deraileur had been giving me trouble for quite a while and it finally gave way last weekend so I ordered a new one and fitted it myself before taking the bike out for a spin yesterday morning, nothing too long because I wanted to be back for the Lions match, this one was a little faster than the others but nothing too mad.

I got up this morning at quarter to 7, had a look outside, didn't like what I saw so went back to the bed, the forecast at 8 didn't seem too bad so I got up and had breakfast, it was still misting/drizzling at that stage but the radar looked clear upwind so I geared up and headed on telling myself that if it was too miserable I'd take a shortcut home. Side wind down to the Heath wasn't too bad and it was a great feeling to have it at my back across to Stradbally and up over the Windy (it was today) Gap, I managed to pickup 4 Strava segment PBs between there and where I turned off to head home at Ballickmoyler.

I had to work harder from there to get home but it wasn't too bad apart from some of the more exposed areas, for example when I came over Dunmurry I had to pedal hard to get down the hill. I finished up with 104km @ 26.5km/hr, happy enough with that.

http://app.strava.com/activities/62279341

Still hoping to make the Wicklow Peaks next weekend, not sure how much I'll get done during the week, I have a few events to attend and plenty of pre harvest jobs to get through but might manage to sneak out early a few mornings.

June:

Distance:1,116.14 km
    Time:44:54:33 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:11,127 m
    Avg Speed:24.9 km/h

This week:

Distance:261.02 km
    Time:10:15:22 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:2,680 m
    Avg Speed:25.5 km/h

A good week, felt well so when Tuesday morning was nice and calm decided to "test" myself, did one of the normal circuits that I use but pushed hard for 10km, took a short breather, pushed hard for another 10km, another breather then pushed hard home, the circuit itself is flat to Allenwood then hilly enough to home, I finished with an average speed of 30.5km/hr which I was happy with.

http://app.strava.com/activities/62700120

Both Thursday's and Saturday morning's were easier, just keeping things ticking over before the Wicklow Peaks today.

I very much enjoyed today at the Wicklow Peaks, didn't go out too fast, met a few fellas I hadn't seen for a while and spun with them out towards the Sally Gap, took things reasonably comfortably over the hills (but still posting PB's on almost all of them, I hadn't been up SE or SM from that side since last June) pushed on over the Ballinabarney Gap and was lucky enough to pick up a fast group from the last water stop back to Naas, I was hanging on in places but was able to pull my turn for most of it so quite pleased about that.

http://app.strava.com/activities/63811861#

Spun home from Naas (into that bloody wing) so the day's total was roughly 145km with 2000m climbing.

Easy week next week.

Bit late with this but here goes, last week:

Distance:145.67 km
    Time:5:28:59 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,066 m
    Avg Speed:26.6 km/h

Three spins in total, an easy spin to recover from the Wicklow peaks on Monday evening, the midweek club spin on Wednesday evening and a solo spin on Friday evening, nothing too remarkable about any of them though I did keep the pace up on Friday and bagged a PB without too much wind assistance.

We were away for the weekend and I didn't bring the bike so an easy week really.

I did pass 5000km for the year during the week and this total along with my elevation gain of 41000m is something I'd be quite happy with.

This week is going to be busy work wise but I'd hope to get a few morning/evening spins in and one decent one in at the weekend.

This week:

Distance:346.02 km
    Time:13:03:16 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:2,378 m
    Avg Speed:26.5 km/h

A busy week but managed to get some decent kms in, tuesday evening was a handy spin with a few of the lads from Headstrong, we took in some of the local hills to make it a bit interesting, Thursday and Friday morning I was out early with Emma, and yesterday I went to Portlaoise for the Watchtours summer sportive.

The crowd was small but there was a nice turnout from our club and most of us stuck with the slower group when the split came, we had a nice group though and got the roll overs going well so the pace was decent enough, despite waiting up after the climbs for the group to reform, up to the food stop after 60km or so.

The faster group were still there when we arrived and some of our lads hightailed it with them when they left so we had a smaller gang heading across to the bottom of the Cut and at with a bit of a headwind my legs felt a bit tired at the bottom of the climb but once I got into a rhythm seemed to come OK. It was very warm on the climb, the garmin was reporting 34C and we seemed to be sheltered from the breeze so I didn't push too hard, knowing that there would be water up top I used most of one bottle over my head to keep cool, first time I ever had to do that:D. At the water stop 4 of us Headstrong members regrouped and made the best of our way home, from the motorway junction one of the lads dropped the hammer and I felt well enough to follow him so had a bit of a gallop back to the GAA club. After a feed of chicken curry I spun home (the curry might not have been the best idea on a hot day, I drank two full bottles on the way home). 152km @27.1km/hr 1089 meters gained.

http://app.strava.com/activities/66767350#

Went out for a bit of a recovery ride this morning, legs felt great so decided to extend it a little, made it a bit of a busman's holiday looking out over hedges checking crop progress, the warm weather is bringing the harvest in much faster than looked possible a few weeks ago so I'd say I'm going to have a few quiet weeks on the bike soon.

• Advertisement

This week:

Distance:261.42 km
    Time:9:54:32 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:2,496 m
    Avg Speed:26.4 km/h

Went out Monday morning, legs felt good so decided to push on on a 29km loop around home, happy with the average speed of 31.9km/hr which is as good as I've done on any reasonable length spin.

Tuesday morning I was out with Emma at her pace but since it was a nice calm morning decided to chase a Strava PB on the last segment before home, the previous PB was with the aid of a gale force wind at my back so was happy to take a decent slice off of that time.

Thursday evening the local club league race was on over a route passing the house here, I decided to go up to Boston hill to cheer on the folks I know who were racing and while I was waiting did some hill reps, managed to get 540M of gain into 31KM without ever being more than 5KM from home. I took a rest every time the race came through and felt fresh enough finishing, and the times seemed to be fairly consistent.

Yesterday morning I did a flat spin across the bog via Edenderry, the plan was a pace a bit faster than comfortable but not hard enough to hurt the legs, 47KM @30.6km/hr.

Today's club spin had a small enough turnout, 4 of us headed for Wicklow and even at that 2 had to head home after Hollywood so it was just myself and a chap that had never been up Wicklow on his bike before that decide to go for a cuppa in Laragh, he's well able though and we made good progress up the Gap and down the other side. Coming back up the breeze was at our backs and once we had gone over the top we made really good speed home I finished up with 114km, 1436m gain and a speed of 25km/hr, a year ago I'd have been delighted with that speed on a flat spin so some progress has been made.

http://app.strava.com/activities/68696080

I know I got a sackful of PBs today but most of them were fairly low hanging fruit, I always seemed to have some problem or other on the Wicklow Gap but no issues today, the only problem was that since I seem to go better on the climbs on an empty stomach by the time we got to Hollywood I was famished and had to stop at the garage for an emergency Snickers.

Next week will, weather permitting, be very busy for me so there will be much less bike, maybe a few early morning spins.

This week:

Distance:92.42 km
    Time:3:15:46 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:588 m
    Avg Speed:28.3 km/h

A week you'd rather forget brought some sad news which meant that I didn't have much time for the bike, I got out for a handy spin Wednesday morning and again yesterday morning just to keep the legs turning. Got started at the harvesting on Saturday which meant that the closest I got to a bike today was watching the Vets race over the hedge as they passed by.

Next week will depend on the weather, might get a few spins in or might not with a very small outside chance I might make the Tour of Kilkenny if things were to go my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Sorry to hear that you had sad news fella.....never nice to get.

Hope the harvesting goes well. i'd say we'll be at it soon enough too. A few last minute preparations to be done, ya know yourself.

July:

Distance:908.49 km
    Time:33:50:35 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:6,847 m
    Avg Speed:26.8 km/h

This week:

Distance:270.12 km
    Time:9:40:56 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,949 m
    Avg Speed:27.9 km/h

We were lucky with the weather, only seemed to catch the edge of some showers so made decent progress with harvesting the Winter Barley and finished lunchtime Tuesday, that luck ran out about an hour after though so most of the straw is still in the field to be baled, hopefully we'll get it saved during the week because I missed the Tour of Kildare baling last year.

Got back on the bike Wed evening, don't know if it was because of the "rest" over the weekend but my legs felt great and I was very comfortable doing 63km @ 29.4km/hr which I'd be very happy with.

Friday morning I went out before breakfast, when I do that I ride very steadily keeping the HR low, again I felt strong and the average speed was higher than normal for a spin like that, though I could feel the legs going on the last bump up over Dunmurry.

Yesterday I'd hoped to go to the Tour of Kilkenny but things didn't work out for me but I was able to take in the club spin, we went up and around the Blessington lakes, it was an eventful spin with a fall and a few mechanicals, none involving me thank God, so the pace wasn't too hectic, I stuck a little on to the end to fill it out to 100km.

Today I did a handy enough spin down to Athy and back, had an unfortunate encounter with a bee, which didn't end well for either of us, again the legs felt good and the speed was, for me, decent enough given the perceived level of effort put in.

I'd like to get up the hills again before the harvest kicks off again and will hopefully get to take in the Tour of Kildare next weekend, it's passing the door here and it'll go hard with me to watch everyone go by if I'm not involved myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

if you are heading for the hills one of the days let me know i might join you

• Advertisement

if you are heading for the hills one of the days let me know i might join you

I went Monday to the Slieve Blooms, but I'd have no objection to going again, I'll give you a shout if I don't see you at the weekend.

This week:

Distance:269.40 km
    Time:10:14:48 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:2,660 m
    Avg Speed:26.3 km/h

After overnight rain on bank holiday morning the weather cleared up nicely so I decided to get that hilly spin I'd been planning in, loaded the bike into the car and headed to the Slieve Blooms. I arked up in Rosanallis and headed for Clonaslee and the Cut, the breeze was strong enough in my face heading over and slightly over my shoulder on the climb itself once I'd got up out of the sheltered lanes at the bottom, my legs felt good and I was comfortable spinning a smaller gear for much longer than I'd have expected to, over the top I dropped down to the start of the Wolftrap and headed up, this is a different type of climb, with steep ramps and flatter sections, harder to get and keep a rhythm especially with the wind in my face but was comfortable enough going up, taking a breather on the easier bits. I took the descent to Cadamstown and headed into Kinnity for a coffee before taking the direct route back up the Wolftrap again, wind mostly behind now it was easier but it's a long climb with the same mix of ramps and easier bits as the other side, I was comfortable enough till the last ramp which tested me. Took it easy on the fast descent back down and headed back over the Cut again, this one is a bit up and down till you pass the bridge, then it's a fairly constant drag to the top, I pushed on a bit here knowing that it was the last climb of the day and was glad to see the top, then took the bumpy descent back to Clonaslee and had the wind behind on the spin back to the car.

Heading home I was happy, I had felt strong enough all day and had a really nice day out as well, loads of nature to be seen around. After uploading to strava I was happy to see I had PBs on all 4 climbs, both the Wolftrap ones were low hanging fruit to be fair but I'd gone up the Cut several times in groups this year so the PB showed decent improvement.

http://www.strava.com/activities/72372687#

Wednesday morning I snuck out early for a easy spin before breakfast and work took over then till the Tour of Kildare today.

I was thinking of just driving over today and giving the TOK itself a good blast but decided instead to try and use the day to get some extra distance in as well as some fast KMs, I was feeling good early on and in a nice group when my stomach problems came back ( I haven't had much trouble like this recentl so this was a disappointment), when this happens all I can do is to ease off until it clears and then spin on. I lost the group I was with but almost immediately another came up from behind and I had a lovely spin to the food stop. Now the problem was whether to eat or not, I couldnt get home on an empty stomach so I chanced a couple of slices of brack and headed on with a nice group, I was comfortable enough with them till again I had to let them go just before the Hill of Allen, from there home I basically rode solo, I passed a few folk on some of the hills and had to let them back by me on the flats afterwards I'm sure they thought I was mad. My legs were good I felt stronh over Boston and Dunmurry before spinning my way up the Wall and making my way back to Naas. After eating the burger sans bun and having a chat with the folks I knew I headed for home, the 22km wasn't anywhere near as easy as coming over, I was into the wind now and it was fresh and there's not much shelter across the bog.
    I finished up with 155km on the day @28.6km/hr, very happy with that considering.

http://www.strava.com/activities/73862568#

Next week, weather permitting will be full blast harvesting so not likely to be much time on the bike, even if it rains I don't think I'll make the Leinster Loop, something else has come up.

This week:

Distance:187.50 km
    Time:6:40:36 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,279 m
    Avg Speed:28.1 km/h

Didn't get out on the bike this week till Thursday morning when I had a very easy pre breakfast spin and went out again Friday evening after dinner and did some local hills, legs felt good and I managed a PR on the Wall.

I dodged a few showers yesterday evening on a spin down to Emo and back, hard going into the wind on the way out but good sport on the way home.

Had to go to Dublin this lunchtime so couldn't take in the Leinster Loop, instead got up early and did a 64km spin up through Rhode and Edenderry, I wasn't flat out but kept up a decent pace and managed to pick up a KOM or two and set a few PBs.

http://www.strava.com/activities/75537308

The weather and a mechanical with the combine slowed harvest this week but we hope to be full speed ahead from tomorrow so bike time will be limited, I feel good at the moment though, maybe a quiet week or two just ticking over before the Rebel Tour will be no harm.

This week:

Distance:29.08 km
    Time:56:06 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:103 m
    Avg Speed:31.1 km/h

I spent most of the week either in the cab of the combine or our JCB loader, long days but good progress, the end is in sight:).

With rain yesterday and this morning I might have got out for a longish spin but had a family event I didn't want to miss so went there then watched Nico do the business when I came home, that inspired me to get out and go for a spin, so I did the Clunbulloge, Brackna loop at a decent pace just so I wouldn't have a blank week and to spin the legs a little.

With the summer almost over I suppose it's no harm to reflect on the year so far, I'm just 2km short of 6500km ridden so far, which I'm very happy with especially since I've over 50,000 meters of climbing in that. My performance in the hills has improved most since last year, I'm never going to be fast up steep hills but my fitness and technique has improved enough that I can pace myself and manage anything I've met so far this year without feeling that my heart will explode or the top of my head is about to blow off, the top of the Healy Pass will be another test of that but if I'm on a reasonable day I think I'll be OK. My weight has come down a little more since the start of the year and has been stable enough through most of the summer, I could probably lose few more KGs by being stricter about biscuits and cake but there's a balance to be struck and I'm happy enough with where I am now.

The next couple of weeks will be busy enough but I'd hope to get one decent hilly long spin in before the Rebel Tour, not sure when that will be but I'll be keeping the legs spinning over whenever I get the chance.

This week:

Distance:125.08 km
    Time:5:49:09 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:2,190 m
    Avg Speed:21.5 km/h

Busy again this week but the worst is over now so hopefully I'll be able to get few regular morning spins in over the next few weeks. Only got out one morning this week, did the Lullymore, Allenwood, Curragh loop, took it easy enough at the start but pushed on a bit on some of the drags later on, got a PB on one segment and decent enough times on the others, happy enough with that.

No work today, my original idea was to head off early and do an easy slow longish spin just to get the legs moving again but for various reasons, mainly because I didn't know when I'd have a chance to do it again, I changed my mind and decided to head for Wicklow this morning. I drove up to Dunlavin and redid a route I'd done just before the Wicklow 200, Donard, Ballinabarney Gap, Slieve Maan, Shay Elliot, and back to Dunlavin via the Wicklow Gap. The plan was to ride up the less severe sections at a reasonable pace but not to push it, take it very easy on the descents and see how it went on the hard bits. I was fairly well loaded, I brought the camera with me to take a few shots so I wouldn't be tempted to push on, and had plenty of food and drink on board, I wanted to try some new stuff before the Rebel Tour.

I felt very good up till I came down off Slieve Maan, the wind got up strong at that stage and was swirling everywhere on the climb up Shay Elliot but I got up OK, I knew then though that it was going to be tough on the Wicklow Gap.

After a coffee in Laragh I headed for home, it was tough and slow going heading up the WG but I felt Ok so when I got to the top I decided to chance heading up to Turlough Hill, this was one of the things on my to do list for this year and even though it was windy I thought I mightn't get another chance again this year. I wasn't worried about speed, just wanted to get up. It was hard going, with the wind and the other climbs in my legs already but I got there, it was very cold up there so I took a few pictures and headed back down and on towards Dunlavin, it was hard going, into the wind all the way and I started to have some cramp in one leg, by going easy I was able to manage but was disappointed by that, though I think it's a consequence of all the hours in the cab of the combine and loader recently, they're much more cramped than a tractor.

87.4km and 1941m of elevation gain, I'm happy enough with that, set PB's on the early climbs before I was exposed to the wind, again happy with that.

http://www.strava.com/activities/79184531

A few morning spins this week, with hopefully a decent long one next weekend, though no big mountains again till the Rebel.

I see to have forgotten to post August's figures:

Distance:730.97 km
    Time:26:42:10 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:5,921 m
    Avg Speed:27.4 km/h

Garmin connect seems to have a problem with uploads at the moment so I can't give this weeks figures in the normal way but the basics are:

248.0km 9hr 32m 2,276m

Got out Tuesday and Wedensday mornings for the usual spins, then Thursday took Emma up to Blessington for her first look at a mountain climb, she's coming to the Rebel with us, to do the 85km and wanted to have some experience of a longish climb and descent before she went. We were short on time so took the road up over Ballysmuttan and on up to the top, then retraced our steps. I stayed with her most of the way, I did stop briefly to try to help a lady with a mechanical near the Liffey bridge so had to chase her to catch her before she got up to the top. It was a lovely day to be up there both of us enjoyed it.

Friday evening I got out for a while and did a few local hills before the heavens opened and I got my first proper drenching in a long time, good job I was near home.

Today the plan was to do a nice longish spin with a few medium hills included, I didn't want to push too hard so hid the page on my garmin with the average speed on it, just rode at a comfortable speed, I headed down to Stradbally and took in a loop over the Windy Gap, Wolfhill, The Swan and Timahoe before heading home through Athy, it's lovely cycling country down there, nice roads , not too much traffic and nothing too steep on the long drags, I felt comfortable until the climb to Wolfhill, the breeze was in my face and I seemed to be suffering more than I should have but I was fine again on the next drag, I think it was just a case of the road looking easier than it was.

I felt fine heading home, legs were a bit tired by the time I got there but I had no shelter from a group all day and only a very short stop at 70km so that's natural enough I think.

117km, 918m @27.1km/hr

Next week will be very quiet, maybe one short spin to keep the legs going before the Rebel on Saturday, I'm looking forward to this one, I think my fitness is better than last year and I'll be able to get round in comfort and maybe a little faster than last year, hopefully the weather will hold up and we'll have a great weekend of cycling down there.

This week:

181.0km, 2,383m gained.

Got out for a short spin one morning this week just to keep the legs turning over then down to Cork for the Rebel Tour this weekend.

It turned out I had to go down via Listowel which meant a long day in the car Friday so the legs were a little stiffer than I'd have liked on Saturday morning, but once we were over the Caha pass things loosened up and I felt fine.

My brother came down with me to do the 160 and our arrangement was that we'd do the longer climbs at our own pace but regroup afterwards and stick together for the day. I felt good all day, having done it last year knew what to expect and felt I paced myself well, with my segment time over the Healy Pass second time round being close enough to the first time over. We managed to grab onto some decent groups so made reasonable progress around the route but also had some long stretches on our own which I suppose is par for the course on most sportives.

I eventually finished in a moving time of 6hrs 36minutes which would be a decent improvement on last year, I felt fresh enough at the finish and if i was solo probably could have went around a bit quicker but it's easy to think that and harder to do it....

http://www.strava.com/activities/82395341

Somewhere between Allihies and Eyries yesterday I passed 7000km for the year, I'd hope to eventually get to over 8k but we'll see how that goes, I've a lot of other stuff coming up that will limit me on the bike a little.

I would hope to do a few more sportives this year, not sure which yet, I'll have to play that by ear till for the time being.

This week

71.3km 493m gained

Busy week with work, so no time for the bike at all during the week, I had hoped to take today off and go up to Wicklow but the weather forecast for the coming week isn't as positive as it was so we went sowing this afternoon, I did manage to get out this morning for a local spin, legs felt crap for the first 15km or so but once I'd warmed up things improved, I didn't hang around but wasn't pushing too hard, just trying to stay close to the top end of my comfort zone, managed a few PBs on Strava without a big tailwind so must have been going OK.

http://www.strava.com/activities/84060317#

Weather dependent this week, but a good week will break the back of our autumn sowing so hope to get some more consistent spins in soon and be able to take in some of the late sportives coming up.

This week:

Distance:231.71 km
    Time:9:28:46 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:2,560 m
    Avg Speed:24.4 km/h

Again this week I stuck to the day job till we got the sowing done, you just couldn't let that weather go to waste.Only a small bit to do now after the maize is cut so that won't take too long, I'd hop to get back to some morning spins from next week on.

Went out for a quick spin Friday evening just before dinner, just did a flat loop out into Offaly, was glad to be back on the bike and with a little bit of a tail wind just put the head down and went as hard as I could. Turning for home I could see I had a chance to post a decent (for me) average speed so kept pushing into the breeze, blew up a bit at the end but still managed to finish the 29km @ 32.6km/hr, very happy with that and even picked up a strava KOM, though that was demolished by my "pal" Gav today.

I was eyeing up the 200km Audax yesterday as a possible entry into the world of Audax, much of the route is familiar to me, it actually passes within 7km of the house here but as thingas turned out I had to go to Dublin yesterday lunchtime so that plan got cancelled, I did get out for an hour early in the morning, just went around the Allenwood Milltown, Rathbride loop that I use nice and easy.

I was free today though and planned a long solo spin, I was going to go to the Slieve Blooms till I saw the weather forecast and realised that the return leg would be into a stiff breeze so changed my mind and decided to go to Wicklow. Things went fine this morning till I got lost, I wanted to go over the Cupidstown/Lamb climb and on up the Sally Gap from the N81 but instead went over Cromwellstown and down into Brittas, not the end of the world but I lost time trying to figure out where I was. Going up the Sally Gap the disadvantage of my plan was clear, there was a strong wind coming straight down the road and it made the going tough even from well down the hill, I finished up doing the bridge to top section much slower than the day I was up with Emma two weeks a go and I stopped to help a couple with a broken bike that day:eek:.

I knew across by Luggala is much better sheltered when the wind is from that side so went across by there, that view never disappoints, and from there on through Roundwood to Laragh. I had the pleasure of first leading and then drafting a big line of vintage Triumph cars on the long drop from Roundwood towards Annamoe, I didn't know there were that many of them left.

After a bite to eat in Laragh I headed for Shay Elliot and Slieve Maan, SE was fine but SM nearly killed me, I went up in much the same time as the day of the Wicklow Peaks but then I was comfortable most of the way, today I was suffering right from the start, the HR went up high and stayed that way, in the last km I felt a little better but maybe that was only because I could see the top.

From there it was mostly downhill all the way home, I went to Baltinglass and home via Crookstown, the legs came back and I made decent progress only getting slowed for a few minutes by a loose Bull on the road, he didn't look too happy and I stayed clear till the cavalry came in a jeep and rounded him up.

From there home the only problem I had was some cramp in the inside of my right thigh, I managed to pedal through it the first time but had to get off and stretch the next time, this has happened to me before in the same place, I'm going to have to get it looked at.

Apart from the navigation issues and Slieve Maan it was a very enjoyable spin, I won't be doing one every week but don't mind the odd long solo spin.

165km 22.8km/hr 2200m gained 7hr15mins in the saddle.

http://app.strava.com/activities/85775257#

September's stats:

Distance:819.36 km
    Time:33:26:57 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:10,208 m
    Avg Speed:24.5 km/h

This week:

Distance:150.48 km
    Time:5:58:25 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,592 m
    Avg Speed:25.2 km/h

The week went a***ways on me cycling wise, got out on Tuesday morning in the rain for a handy recovery spin, surprisingly enjoyable in the warm rain.

I had hoped to get a few more morning spins in but things didn't work out and yesterday I missed a nice spin over to the Blooms with the club because I had to go up north with the young lad to a rugby match, not that I'm complaining though, these things have to be done.

This morning I headed for Ballymore, after the guts of 500km in the car yesterday I wasn't sure how the legs would feel but after 25km or so things loosened up a bit and I started to feel OK so headed over to do the Lakes from the Valleymount side, still felt OK when I got round so decided to slip over Ballysmuttan Hill and down to Manor Kilbride, last week I'd got lost trying to get to the Lamb Hill but I couldn't really miss it today from the N81 side, felt OK still so decided to give it a go, it's a tough one alright but I found it OK (the wind probably helped me here), got lost again down the Kilteel side and finished up on the N81 again so spun back into Blessington and home via Twomilehouse.

An enjoyable spin, a real bonus to me to be out still in shorts and a ss jersey.

112km, 1370m 25km/hr

http://www.strava.com/activities/87260216

Next week has less on apart from a rugby match in Galway on Saturday, I'd hope to get some nice morning spins in and am booked to do the Sean Kelly Tour of the Midlands next Sunday, looking forward to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

nilhg wrote: »
    I'd got lost trying to get to the Lamb Hill but I couldn't really miss it today from the N81 side, felt OK still so decided to give it a go, it's a tough one alright but I found it OK (the wind probably helped me here)

Cupidstown from the Kilteel side is a toughie as well.

Cupidstown from the Kilteel side is a toughie as well.

That's where I intended to go last week but took a wrong turn and finished going up Cromwellstown Hill (I think that's what it's called) by the comms towers, not an easy spin up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

nilhg wrote: »
    That's where I intended to go last week but took a wrong turn and finished going up Cromwellstown Hill (I think that's what it's called) by the comms towers, not an easy spin up either.

Take the turn in Kilteel and then when you come to the fork in the road keep left.

Last week:

Distance:258.56 km
    Time:9:04:07 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,795 m
    Avg Speed:28.5 km/h

A good week, got 4 nice morning spins in, Monday to Thursday, the usual loops I use done at a brisk pace but not flat to the boards, took a rest Friday and was away with rugby again Saturday.

Sunday was the Sean Kelly Tour of the Midlands, an event I really enjoyed, the pace was controlled on the front right to the start of the first climb The Cut so the group had stayed together for the first 35km, I stopped for a natural break before the climb so I went from the front of the peloton to the back in a few minutes. On the climb itself I felt fine but it took me quite a while to get warmed up, not sure why but couldn't seem to get the HR up till about half way up, then got going OK and felt good going over the top. On the Wolftrap I felt good from the start and comfortable all the way up, probably was too conservative at the start but still took 2 minutes off my PB on the climb, I was going well on the descent till I punctured and there the wheels sort of came off, my 2 spare tubes seems to have been damaged in the saddle bag, caught in the zip by the looks of it and I wasted quite a while messing with them before two decent lads (Sean and Jason) donated me a tube to get me going.

I didn't stay long at the food stop, headed on hoping to pick up a nice group, most of the faster lads were gone up the road by then but a nice chain gang formed before Birr only to breakup on the drag out of the town, eventualy 5 of us got together and made reasonable enough time back to Tullamore and the soup. A very enjoyable day, well organised with a good mix of hills and fast roads, one for next year.

http://www.strava.com/activities/88771134/overview

I hope to get a few morning spins in again this week and to take in the Castlecomer sportive at the weekend.

This week:

Distance:249.13 km
    Time:9:02:40 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,876 m
    Avg Speed:27.5 km/h

Got out Tue, Wed and Thurs, the first two were brisk enough but took it nice and handy on Thursday, Saturday was a rugby day again but the match was at home so I got out for a handy 50km before it.

Today was the Castlecomer Challenge an event I very much enjoyed last year so even though the weather looked bad and the lads I was supposed to do it with pulled out this morning I headed on, met upthe19th just before the start and we decided to head on together.

I had a bit of a problem with muck in my cleats at the start so the main bunch was gone up the road before us but we still made reasonable progress around to the food stop.

Leaving there we were on our own for quite a while into a headwind on the most exposed section of the road, it was hard going, we could see a decent group up ahead in the distance and we both put in a hard stint to get up to them and get some shelter, this group stuck together well till near Ballyraggett.

At the start of the last climb my legs felt like they were gone and I thought it was going to be tough going but after a little while I got some sort of a rhythm going and felt better, and decided to give it a good lash up the last bit to see if I could better last years time, which I did comfortably enough.

A very enjoyable day in good company.

http://www.strava.com/activities/90242057

I might get out once or twice next week, I'm away for some warm weather training a weeks holidays from next weekend, I have a bike booked but how much I'll do remains to be seen.

Somewhere on the road today I passed the 8k km for the year mark, happy enough with that.

Last 2 weeks:

Distance:491.29 km
    Time:22:10:37 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:6,948 m
    Avg Speed:22.2 km/h

I was away last week on holidays so didn't get my usual report in, only one spin the week before we left, 40km nice and handy.

We travelled to Lanzarote on Saturday and arrived just in time for me to collect my rental bike so I managed to get out reasonably early on Sunday morning, I was in no hurry just feeling my way on unfamiliar roads (and the wrong side), the wind was blowing hard and into my face heading up over the middle of the island (that was to be the story of the week, it really never stopped) and it was even hard work heading down the hill to the coast the other side, though I got my reward on the way back.

That was the pattern for the rest of the week, I got out on the bike for 3/4 hours in the mornings before the normal holiday stuff with the family afterwards, I'd have a rough plan in my head leaving and explore a bit, stop for a coffee if the humor took me, take a few pictures and generally tour around, but still was clocking up some kms and especially metres gained.

Wednesday was a rest day, I hired a car and took the others to see the sights I'd scouted out for them and as a reward I got a full day pass for Friday.

The plan for then was to go up the center of the Island and over the highest point before dropping down to sea level and heading back up again via Tabayesco and the hairpin switchbacks near the top, I was travelling a bit lighter and didn't stop as much, I wanted to see how I'd do on some of the strava segments, once I'd that done I'd see how the legs felt and come up with a plan for the rest of the day. As it turned out I felt grand so headed for the north coast and across to La Santa before turning for home, about this time I had a bit of a worry about water, it was very warm and most of the places to refill seemed to be shut for the siesta, but as it turned out I had enough.

I finished up with 119km, 2062m climbed and 5 hrs 45 minutes in the saddle, a very enjoyable day.

http://www.strava.com/activities/92541038

In total in Lanzarote I got in nearly 400km and 6250m of climbing.

Home Saturday and a taste of reality with 2 of the lads this morning.

Next week will be quiet, I'll take a few days off and hopefully get a decent spin in at the weekend.

October:

Distance:976.75 km
    Time:38:25:32 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:9,925 m
    Avg Speed:25.4 km/h

This week:

Distance:202.75 km
    Time:7:37:29 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,387 m

On last Sundays spin my legs felt a little tired so I took Monday and Tuesday off, did a very slow 40km on Wednesday and still didn't feel 100% so didn't stir out again till yesterdays club spin, which as luck would have it was a good bit longer than normal. We had a mixed group st the start so the pace was easy enough to begin with and I stayed at the back with the slower lads on the first two hills and let the stronger fellas play up front, after we had coffee in Stradbally though the groups split and 6 of us headed on for the long route of the day, the pace picked up from there on and on the bottom of the climb up to the Rushes I was feeling it but held on OK in the group and got my breath back on the drop back across country to Castledermot, up the old N9 we were pushing hard but I felt good by that stage and was comfortable in the group and was mad enough to contest the sprint up the little hill by Ballitore, was going well till my legs blew and I had to change down a gear but still managed a top 10 placing on the Strava segment, it helps to have a wheel to follow sometimes.

We made good time home to Kildare and I spun on home to finish up with a nice 124km spin, considering that there were a few drags and the pace was handy for the first 45km or so I was happy with the 26.7km/hr average speed.

http://www.strava.com/activities/94050455

Went out for a very handy solo recovery ride early this morning, nice crisp morning, very enjoyable to be out.

I'd hope to get a few spins in this week and another decent spin in at the weekend.

This week:

Distance:280.38 km
    Time:10:26:03 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,746 m
    Avg Speed:26.9 km/h

A good week, got out 3 mornings, Tuesday solo at a comfortable pace, Wednesday with a clubmate was a little slower and Friday at a steady pace, I felt good and maybe would like to have pushed on a bit but was mindful of the club spin on Saturday.

As it worked out the club spin was at a decent but not hard pace for the most part, there was a bit of a split at roadworks just before the coffee stop where some of the lads made a sprint breakaway, two of us had a go at catching them, we worked well together for the 5km but never really had a chance of actually getting to them, nice to really stretch the legs though.

After the stop the group split and 6 of us finished the long route, we're all pretty much similar in pace and we worked well together so the ride was nice and steady, including the spin in and out from home 114km @27.9km/hr.

http://www.strava.com/activities/95369741/overview

Got out early for a nice solo 50km in the mist this morning, took it nice and easy, found it very enjoyable once I got going.

Probably will have an easier week this week, but we'll see how things work out.

This week:

Distance:161.36 km
    Time:6:03:52 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,353 m

For various reasons I didn't manage to get out at all during the week so yesterday's club spin was the first outing on the bike since last weekend, we started off slowly enough and the spin got broken up a bit with one of the lads having a mechanical and some chat about routes home for the lads doing the shorter spin, but once we had the coffee stop three of us headed on around the back of the Blessington Lakes and home via Hollywood and Dunlavin.

One of the lads has the habit of attacking each and every rise in the road right from the bottom and he was true to form yesterday as well, he kept the rest of us honest anyway, no shirking in our train, on a few of the longer drags he'd maybe be feeling his efforts a little so I'd give him a wheel to follow at that stage, and to be fair to him he always did. The end result was we made good progress home and I finished up with a bag full of strava PRs, though to be fair most of the times I've done the lakes it's been from the other side so most of them were probably low hanging fruit.

http://www.strava.com/activities/96611430

This morning I did a nice handy loop around Mid Kildare, didn't try too hard but rode at a good steady keep myself nice and warm pace, finished up with 59km at just under 29km/hr, a nice enjoyable spin.

I passed 9000km YTD somewhere on the road yesterday morning and would hope to use the reasonable weather forecast for this week to push on towards 10Kkm before the year end, so will be hoping to get out a few mornings and a decent spin again next weekend.

• Advertisement

November:

Distance:1,001.67 km
    Time:38:35:02 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:8,298 m
    Avg Speed:26.0 km/h

This week:

Distance:245.34 km
    Time:8:46:17 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:1,486 m
    Avg Speed:28.0 km/h

I'm not exactly sure why but this week was probably the best I've ever felt on a bike (excluding this morning, but that was self inflicted:eek:), I seemed to be able to spin a gear higher than normal and still be really comfortable.

I got out for 3 morning spins, the first two went really well, even though I wasn't pushing very hard the average speed was well over 29km/hr which for me at this time of the year is very decent. Thursday morning's spin ended prematurely when I had a tyre blow out, I managed to get it patched up but didn't think it was safe to continue so went home.

Yesterdays club spin was as usual at an easy enough pace till the coffee break where the less experienced lads split off and head home but afterwards we were straight up the Windy Gap out of Stradbally, I'd set my PB there back in the summer with a gale behind me, yesterday on a still day we started out at a steady enough pace but the lads who are going racing next year gradually wound the pace up and up, normally on a hill like that I'd be dropping down a gear near the end but actually had to change up twice to be able to keep up, but keep up I did and took a few seconds off my PB as well. There was no stopping for a rest over the top either, three of us had a blast on the fast stretch across to the N78, several times I thought they'd dropped me but managed to hold on in there.

I thought I'd pay for that somewhere later on in the spin but I felt really comfortable till we got back to Kildare and even on the spin back out home.

104km @27.0km/hr

http://www.strava.com/activities/97829361

My brother's 40th was yesterday and we all went to the town for a few pints last night so this mornings spin took a bit of HTFU before I went, not surprisingly the legs were the best part of me, all i wanted to do was to roll along at a level to keep myself warm, I think the blood was a bit thin today....

Loads of stuff on next week which will probably mean a quiet week on the bike for me but if a chance arises to get in a morning spin I will and if the weather doesn't interfere I'll try to get a few decent spins in next weekend.

Advertisement