Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTC Grand Finals Galway 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

Trump gone, Higgins gone, Selby gone, Doherty gone... crumbs... I've got a semis/final ticket but no travel or accommodation yet... I sure hope I don't go to all that hassle and expense for something like and Alfie Burden v Kurt Maflin final... not meaning to be disrespectful or anything... but a guy likes a bit of glamour in his snooker.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Watched all the matches bar the Allen-Swail match as it was too late for me to watch. Some really dodgy games in there to be honest. The McGill match had some very poor standards.

A chuckled a bit when I read the headlines on worldsnooker.com for Allen-Swail match though:
    Pistol Shoots Down Outlaw

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wotausername

ding v allen in quarter final :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Funny, because so far in the finals I can only see Ding or Allen winning it. Robertson has been a bit iffy at times and I don't see the other 5 making an impact. I reckon the winner of Ding/Allen will go on to win outright.

147!!

• Advertisement

Ding just called a foul on himself after Michaela didn't see it. You wouldn't see sportsmanship like that in any other sport let me tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Pockets are looking plenty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

There's been a lot made of the timetable on the blogs and on twitter - it seems to be a bit of a mess, what with one or two matches not beginning until after midnight!

Also it's a shame to see absolutely zero reporting on the irish times and independent websites. Is there any mention of it on rte/tv3? I don't know how snooker will grow in Ireland when it is practically non-existent in the national media.

Setun wrote: »
    There's been a lot made of the timetable on the blogs and on twitter - it seems to be a bit of a mess, what with one or two matches not beginning until after midnight!

Also it's a shame to see absolutely zero reporting on the irish times and independent websites. Is there any mention of it on rte/tv3? I don't know how snooker will grow in Ireland when it is practically non-existent in the national media.

Agree with all this. Media coverage has been very very poor unfortunately. Turnout looks to be lower than last years too but that's only going by what I can see and nothing more. And I might also add that the standard has been very average this week. The Ding vs Allen match was fantastic, everything else has been a bit of a letdown. How Maflin is in the semi's I'll never know.

My money is on Ding now to win outright. He's played some great stuff and the 147 was great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Yeah I noticed that turnout looks a bit miserable. What happened with the tournament at DCU a few years ago? I thought that went pretty well, or am I mistaken? It's a real shame about the lack of support by the Irish Times etc - I know they will only report on a sport that a large demographic are interested in, but it really is hard to see the sport growing here without mainstream publicity.

I haven't seen Ding play this week as I've only had time to keep up with the blog reports, but from what they're saying I think you're right about him going the distance unless Robertson sorts himself out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

And ding comes from 3 zip down to win 4-3 !
    Great final and a great atmosphere, well done Galway see ya next year hopefully! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vinnie B

Good to see so many of the worlds top players in Galway. Very large TV audiences over the course of the week aswel. Great comeback from Ding to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭loi09

great tournament great to meet all the players so down to earth hope its back next year on tuesday and wednesday night was very big was great to see and your certain of getting a quality seat

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Was at the saturday morning session. Got to see the 147 and that was a great match. T Ford and Fu not so good.
    I will say that I thought it was poorly organised around the event. We turned up at the same carpark as last year and there were zero spaces due to a large rowing event taking place. Perhaps there was another carpark but there were no marshals or anybody to direct people to where they could park. It just gave the impression that the tournament wasnt wanted. In the entrance lobby, there was a student canteen place with all shutters down when it was the obvious location for sales of drinks, chocolate etc.

Advertisement