Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Padlocks!

Options
  • 05-01-2013 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭

waste of a good padlock if you ask me

anyone noticed them lately? ha'penny bridge has loads of them attached to it - how long before it collapses under the weight of all that symbolic love?

seen one with damo loves antos box scrawled on it in non waterproof marker :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

amacca wrote: »

anyone noticed them lately? ha'penny bridge has loads of them attached to it - how long before it collapses under the weight of all that symbolic love?

I've only seen them in Paris. If people can afford padlocks isn't it time to cut the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

I've only seen them in Paris. If people can afford padlocks isn't it time to cut the dole?

Its nearly always time to cut the dole on here.........padlocks or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You're single aren't you?

Not to say I don't think it's a stupid idea or not, just hazarding a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I love padlocks too OP. My favourite would probably be a 45mm rekeyable padlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The Ha'penny bridge is destroyed with them. It boils my blood to think they the bridge was removed at the tax payers expense a couple of years ago and totally restored only for this to happen to it.

I'd love to know how they're going to be removed !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Is that what they are?

I just thought they were the remnants of stolen bicycles :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

SV wrote: »
    You're single aren't you?

Not to say I don't think it's a stupid idea or not, just hazarding a guess.

yes....yes i am, however even in the deepest throes of love I don't think I would express it by purchasing myself a fine sturdy padlock and locking exactly nothing (except of course for the padlock) to a bridge

neither would I be impressed by any woman who found this adorable/lovely (chose appropriate adjective)

now perhaps if I locked her cheating ex to the bridge or something more significant like that...or even her so I could drop back for her later after a couple of pints with the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

I'd love to know how they're going to be removed !![/Quote]

Bolt chopper would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Thought this was a marketing campaign for chastity belts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Wha?......padlocks........a bridge..........

Dubliners :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

It's a huge thing for young tourists to do around mainland Europe and it's after finding it's way here too.

On one hand it's sweet, but on the other hand it's ruining loads of landmarks- and often along with the padlocks you get "Fabrice <3s Gabrielle" type graffiti around the area too. So overall I say down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

how long before it collapses under the weight of all that symbolic love?

Surprised it hasn't already collapsed under the weight of all the homeless folk and heroin addicts parked on it.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

KTRIC wrote: »
    It boils my blood to think they the bridge was removed at the tax payers expense a couple of years ago and totally restored only for this to happen to it.

The bridge was removed ? Eh when did that happen ? Are you sure you didn't imagine that ?

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wondered what those padlocks were about. Looks sh!te tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

They are damaging the electric wiring on the bridge as well.

http://c3.dmlimg.com/315234f77e06c58db60e12adebc349c3026fd31bba5d28d6e4d1d569e65e0e32.jpg

The bridge was removed ? Eh when did that happen ? Are you sure you didn't imagine that ?

No I didn't. Sections of the bridge were removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Absolutely mindless thing to do. It's vandalism. Simple as that.

sugarman wrote: »
    Only noticed the amount on it myself earlier today. Im going around with a bolt cutters later to remove them all for scrap, easily a few hundred worth of metals there.

If you need a hand I'll gladly help.

They are damaging the electric wiring on the bridge as well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=2106&pictureid=14345

Your link is broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Padlocks + markers? Cheaper than tattoos. Leaves more money to spend on tracksuits.
    A no brainer for much of the population within a few miles of the ha'penny bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I saw them in Florence and Paris.
    I think the tradidion began on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence.

They ruin the bridges there too.

Never noticed them on the Ha,penny.
    Although its a while since I crossed it.

Would it not be an idea to have a purpose built lacation where lovers can attach their padlocks.

The romantic idea behind the tradition is an endearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The ha'penny bridge is in itself a romantic and iconic image!

Good luck to todays young 'uns who use it in the same spirit.

I don't think this is vandalism...maybe a tribute to its status in the minds of young people...and perhaps...they are just trying to associate the love for the bridge with their love for each other!

Its quite romantic...and a modern day tribute to the bridge.

Its keeping the bridge alive....in a new way.

I 've always felt a lil' kick crossing that bridge....dunno why ...but i like it.

I guess it's still special enough for young lovers too.

Hey, we've all been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

LLU wrote: »
    Padlocks + markers? Cheaper than tattoos. Leaves more money to spend on tracksuits.
    A no brainer for much of the population within a few miles of the ha'penny bridge.

How do we know these padlocks are being placed by social welfare claimants who wear tracksuits?
    How is their source of income or wardrobe relevant?

Are they also travelling to Paris and Florence to attach padlocks to the bridges there?

keith16 wrote: »
    Absolutely mindless thing to do. It's vandalism. Simple as that.

Not quite sure how it's vandalism, wouldn't that involve damaging the bridge in some way?

I wouldn't do it myself as it's not really my thing but I don't see a problem with anyone else doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Bloody foriners bringing unwanted customs to our fair city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Syllabus.

Hippies! wrote: »
    Wha?......padlocks........a bridge..........

Dubliners :rolleyes:

actually started in florence iinm

Not quite sure how it's vandalism, wouldn't that involve damaging the bridge in some way?

I wouldn't do it myself as it's not really my thing but I don't see a problem with anyone else doing it.

The bridge is getting damaged. They keys are thrown away and an angle grinder or some such is needed to remove them. This is not good for the bridge.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/11/rome-bans-lovers-padlocks-milvian-bridge

keith16 wrote: »
    The bridge is getting damaged. They keys are thrown away and an angle grinder or some such is needed to remove them. This is not good for the bridge.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/11/rome-bans-lovers-padlocks-milvian-bridge

How is the bridge getting damaged? That link doesn't actually say anything about it being damaged, they say that's why they've been removed in the opening but really it's to restore decorum.

A bolt cutter is enough to remove these locks and is very easy to operate. Nothing along the lines of an angle grinder is required.

This is not vandalism is nothing is being damaged, if you can show how the bridge is being damaged then fair enough.

How is the bridge getting damaged? That link doesn't actually say anything about it being damaged, they say that's why they've been removed in the opening but really it's to restore decorum.

A bolt cutter is enough to remove these locks and is very easy to operate. Nothing along the lines of an angle grinder is required.

This is not vandalism is nothing is being damaged, if you can show how the bridge is being damaged then fair enough.

The locks can cause the paint on the bridge to chip off, allowing rust to cause damage.

May not be significant, but if allowed to continue would certainly be damaging.

I'm just not a fan of it, well not on the Ha'penny bridge at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

is it this bad yet? if not, calm down for a while....this happens all over the world

Advertisement